How often do you grind?

WarpaintFree

I store my buds in mason jars with Boveda packs, and I've been wondering if there's a drawback to grinding up all the buds and storing them in that state, rather than grinding a little bit every day.

I think it would also make it easier to mix strains - I have 2 very high CBD samples that I either vape straight, or mix in with higher THC sativas and indicas to temper the effects of those (I'm a real lightweight... 1 LSD on my FF2 loaded with something like Super Silver Haze or Rockstar, and I'm really stoned within about 15 minutes.)

How do you store your material - full buds, or ground up? Or do you grind enough for a day or a week?

Is there any reason I shouldn't grind and store in jars with Boveda packs?

damm

I store my buds in mason jars with Boveda packs, and I've been wondering if there's a drawback to grinding up all the buds and storing them in that state, rather than grinding a little bit every day.

I think it would also make it easier to mix strains - I have 2 very high CBD samples that I either vape straight, or mix in with higher THC sativas and indicas to temper the effects of those (I'm a real lightweight... 1 LSD on my FF2 loaded with something like Super Silver Haze or Rockstar, and I'm really stoned within about 15 minutes.)

How do you store your material - full buds, or ground up? Or do you grind enough for a day or a week?

Your right there is a downside to grinding everything up and storing it in a mason jar. Kief (thc) starts to fall off as it's manicured for you. So once you break it down to grind it; you are tossing those THC crystals around and if you have a kief catcher you can still catch them. However another thing you should take note of; is how much stronger a fresh grind hits you.

I'm going to pickup another microgrinder (you know those business cards) they do a pretty good at grinding up; in small portions.

Always grind up what you can smoke in a session during the session; if you leave any around it will degrade.

Sure it's useable; I have old jars that have degraded. But it doesn't taste as good as it was when I canned it.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/factors-influencing-cannabis-degradation

Over time you'll notice more of an ammonia (as other things) the bud will eventually just break up in your fingers and won't need a grinder. At that point you won't get much benefit at all

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Usually I just buy enough cannabis to last me a couple weeks. I buy several small quantities of different Indica and Sativa Hybrid strains.

I grind just enough for the days worth. If I need more I will grind it up later if need be. I used to store long term but not any linger. I then put the ground cannabis in a tiny wooden box that doesnt smell. I save indicas for evening. Grinding up your cannabis can be a stinky process so I try to limit it. I can always go outside to grind if I need too.

I agree with @damm its fresher and tastes better to not to grind up all your cannabis in advance.

Last edited:

C No Ego

leave bud structure as is until you want to use some of it... the bud structure keeps it fresh longer and grinding and storing allows to much oxygen that starts to degrade/oxidize the herb... if you need to grind some for a few days it is fine but long term just leave it whole... I have a larger main jar to store in and have a few small jars for on hand purposes... the stored stuff only gets touched wen the little jar needs filling

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I store my buds the same way and had a smorgasbord of strains earlier this year, and I just ground up little bits as I went... even though it would have been significantly easier to just grind it all and store it ground.

I have a bud still from a pickup I made in Jan. The bud was probably harvested back in December or Nov and it still smells/looks/tastes amazing.

It may be a tiny bit more effort to grind as you go but it's worth the preservation of the flavors/etc. I also suspect there would some potency loss if ground due to the oxidization of actives as stated

Last edited:

cobra505

Defined
Over the last month it's been about been doubled. Probably about 12g's a week if not more. Deal with a ton of pain & really trying to cut down on the pain killers.

damm

Over the last month it's been about been doubled. Probably about 12g's a week if not more. Deal with a ton of pain & really trying to cut down on the pain killers.

That doesn't sound that bad to me; just can be a bit expensive. So you end up picking up an oz instead of a half oz and shove the other half to the side and month later you break out a bit and enjoy and ..

Bad part is that by doing this if I ever get arrested; I will likely be assumed to be a dealer. Even in Washington

I am doing better; I used to half 4-6oz's stashed away for a rainy day.

My Sticky Brick has saved me some herb however; I was wasting a bunch of herb on my Volcano and not fully extracting it. Not getting fully medicated either so you loadup another bowl

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I keep my buds in mason jars that have the air tight lids. I also put a boveda pack and an oxygen scrubber pack in each jar ans store in a cool dark place.

I keep a little jelly mason jar that I grind and fill with about 1-2 grams of some indica. I use that each night and it lasts for about a fortnight. Then I begin the process all over again. ;)

HighSeasSailor

I grind up 1/4 to a full oz at once, to an extremely fine kief-like grind.

I store both unground buds and preground vape fuel in airtight UV glass jars (Infinity Jars). Never noticed even the slightest, remotest hint of degradation of flavor or effect, or even drying of texture, from pregrinding and storing it this way, despite living in one of the hottest, driest, shittiest environments in the US. I don't use boveda packs either.

I know a lot of people are convinced it matters, but I don't know of any rational reason to believe that retaining bud shape matters in the least to chemical composition. Further, ground cannabis is much, much denser than whole buds, so claiming it leads to additional oxidation seems preposterous - I can and have fit a full ounce of grind into a 50mL jar, compared to a 500mL+ jar for that quantity in whole flower. An inappropriate container, like leaving it in the grinder or using a huge ass mason jar that's holding mostly air and is made of transparent glass letting in sunlight, would be a more likely issue if you ask me.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I have not been grinding for about a month but. Our dog didn't like the sound of the grinder... We couldn't hear anything, but his big Yoda ears were bothered by it.
I take out a big from my stash D keep it in a little plastic snap top container and break off little pieces for my vapcap, underdog, and toasty island.

I can't fit as much in each pack with this method, but it also slows down the whole process a little bit. I like that. Also, it tastes better longer than when I would grind it up.

I used to grind up what I wanted to limit myself to for the day... I'm not sure it really worked that well. I'm just using less now each time I pack a bowl. I'm cool with that.

howie105

I think for some folks (excluding the analytical approachers) its sensitivity on the taste and effect thing. Some folks powers of observation are so acute that slight variations are noticeable but to others not so much. Like Diggy's dog, it hears and reacts to the grinder sound but not his people.

hinglemccringleberry

Your right there is a downside to grinding everything up and storing it in a mason jar. Kief (thc) starts to fall off as it's manicured for you. So once you break it down to grind it; you are tossing those THC crystals around and if you have a kief catcher you can still catch them. However another thing you should take note of; is how much stronger a fresh grind hits you.

I'm going to pickup another microgrinder (you know those business cards) they do a pretty good at grinding up; in small portions.

Well yes and no, in a controlled environment it's easy to retain all the kief (dust free surface, no fans on, well-lit room, credit card). I claim everything, crystals included. You just have to be methodical and not be in a rush.
I would argue that a 4 piece grinder w/ kief catcher is less effective, unless you go back right afterwards and re-add the kief from the chamber to your herb right before consuming, except that's more work - either that or you wait X number of grinds on your new grinder until you have a significant amount collected, at which point we tend to overcompensate by putting more keif on the load than normal. That's just offsetting the fact that you were previously vaping bud that was stripped of kief while building up that kief collection. So you'd have to raid the kief chamber for every session to maintain a 1:1 bud/crystal ratio, but that's so much work that you might as well just grind it all up front and claim the kief and keep it all in 1 storage container. That's why I don't use 4 piece grinders anymore, it just overcomplicates things.
I don't think there's a wrong way to do it as long as you're retaining kief in whatever process you're using.

If I'm buying a quarter ounce I store the whole nugs in a mason jar w/ a Boveda pack and will grind out a 1-2 week supply that goes into a separate small container. That kills 2 birds w/ one stone, it's for convenience and it also primes the material for vaping by drying it below the 62% humidity point which I need for best performance in my conduction devices. Then I get lifted and I never once stop and think "I wish I would have left the nug whole until right before consuming it".

Last edited:

damm

Well yes and no, in a controlled environment it's easy to retain all the kief (dust free surface, no fans on, well-lit room, credit card). I claim everything, crystals included. You just have to be methodical and not be in a rush.

Not really; once you put it in a jar after you grind it. The Kief tends to fall into the kief catcher (if your lucky) sometimes the things that fall off are too big to fit through.

Once you grind your herb; you change the consistency and you shorten it's life. (In numerous ways)

I would argue that a 4 piece grinder w/ kief catcher is less effective, unless you go back right afterwards and re-add the kief from the chamber to your herb right before consuming, except that's more work - either that or you wait X number of grinds on your new grinder until you have a significant amount collected, at which point we tend to overcompensate by putting more keif on the load than normal. That's just offsetting the fact that you were previously vaping bud that was stripped of kief while building up that kief collection. So you'd have to raid the kief chamber for every session to maintain a 1:1 bud/crystal ratio, but that's so much work that you might as well just grind it all up front and claim the kief and keep it all in 1 storage container. That's why I don't use 4 piece grinders anymore, it just overcomplicates things.
I don't think there's a wrong way to do it as long as you're retaining kief in whatever process you're using.

Most people would argue that you are wrong. But this is a fine point of an opinion. Some people swear by their 2 piece grinder; but really what we're talking about is the same thing. You break down the plant material; bruise it and crush it. It's actually one of the reasons why grinding is so fragrant.

If I'm buying a quarter ounce I store the whole nugs in a mason jar w/ a Boveda pack and will grind out a 1-2 week supply that goes into a separate small container. That kills 2 birds w/ one stone, it's for convenience and it also primes the material for vaping by drying it below the 62% humidity point which I need for best performance in my conduction devices. Then I get lifted and I never once stop and think "I wish I would have left the nug whole until right before consuming it".

Yeah and that's where you went wrong; you grind out 1-2 weeks supply at a time. First part of your jar is going to be most potent and work the best; as you get towards the bottom unless you get the kief that's fallen into the side of the glass mold... you loose product

Your experience would change if you picked up a Cannador and only ground for your session. You might use less; but it will be more potent and you will get the effects desired faster.

Edit: Please don't use Mason Jars unless you are very careful about moisture.

I almost forgot about this lesson; wether it's a mason jar or a plastic container if you get any drops of moisture in there you need to clean it up or it can get moldy and ... nasty

Having learned that I gaveup and kept everything in my grinder; like I said I grind for my session. Had some moldy kief and moldy bud that really did me in. Never really paid attention to mold spores in my jar but I do now.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

Not really; once you put it in a jar after you grind it. The Kief tends to fall into the kief catcher (if your lucky) sometimes the things that fall off are too big to fit through.

Once you grind your herb; you change the consistency and you shorten it's life. (In numerous ways)

Most people would argue that you are wrong. But this is a fine point of an opinion. Some people swear by their 2 piece grinder; but really what we're talking about is the same thing. You break down the plant material; bruise it and crush it. It's actually one of the reasons why grinding is so fragrant.

Yeah and that's where you went wrong; you grind out 1-2 weeks supply at a time. First part of your jar is going to be most potent and work the best; as you get towards the bottom unless you get the kief that's fallen into the side of the glass mold... you loose product

Your experience would change if you picked up a Cannador and only ground for your session. You might use less; but it will be more potent and you will get the effects desired faster.

I almost forgot about this lesson; wether it's a mason jar or a plastic container if you get any drops of moisture in there you need to clean it up or it can get moldy and ... nasty

Having learned that I gaveup and kept everything in my grinder; like I said I grind for my session. Had some moldy kief and moldy bud that really did me in. Never really paid attention to mold spores in my jar but I do now.
Just stating my preference. If someone else loves 4 piece grinders and it works for them, nothing wrong with that. And how is it "wrong" to grind out 1-2 weeks of supply at a time? For me that's 0.7G or less that goes in a tiny container. No complaints with the potency of it either. I even followed it up by saying that I never grind my quarter ounce stash at once...for that very reason that you stated about life shortening. Lol I swear, sometimes no matter what you say or do someone will find a bone to pick with it.
Well it's a good thing I'm careful about moisture and don't accidentally gets drops of water inside of it. lol

Last edited:

damm

Just stating my preference. If someone else loves using 4 piece grinders and it works for them, nothing wrong with that. And how is it "wrong" to grind out 1-2 weeks of supply at a time? For me that's 0.7G or less that goes in a tiny container (which I prefer to doob tubes because it's easier to glean the crystals that stick to the walls). No complaints with the potency of it either. I even followed it up by saying that I never grind my quarter ounce stash at once...for that very reason that you stated about life shortening. Lol I swear, sometimes no matter what you say or do someone will find a bone to pick with it.

How good is your nose? do you notice how much more you use towards the end of those 1-2weeks? Speaking from my own experience I ended up using more and more towards the end to get there. Sure it is freaking great to always vape freshly ground but you could get away with letting it sit in the grinder for a bit and it doesn't get too bad.

Had a Boveda pack sitting in some Dutch Treat that was in a mason jar in a dark spot for 6months... it wasn't that bad but it had dried up and crumbled and didn't smell very much like DT.

It's a nice idea; but it's not my reality.

damm

My reality is not doing things that degrade my herb before I vape it. It is not much of a chore to grind no more than a days worth. Especially considering literally everything is better with the herb when you grind what you need as you go.

Also, your mason jar sealed with a boveda pack for six months should not have dessicated crumbling herb unless your jar was improperly sealed. I have used mason jars for years and never had such a thing happen especially with a boveda pack.

Pretty common actually; I'm in a legal state and the products sometimes have Nitrogen and the Oxygen sucked out of them. The Curing process done legally is a bit more drying than what you get on the black market. Little fresh bud on the black market you jar it up and it'll be there still good a year later.

If I keep the bud in the original package I can make it go 6months or more. Just finished up some Strawberry Banana I picked up late October.

1. I kept everything in the original package; they came in 3.5g packages (bought an oz) so I had 8 of them.
  2. They were in a dark place; sealed up in a bag on top of their bag. I suspect they were nitrogen filled
  3. Open them up as needed; only taking out a few nuggets at a time and grinding them
It lasted quite some time; excellent flavor the whole time. But I didn't keep them in a mason jar; I only kept it in the grinder or the original packaging.

Lastly Changing the moisture content of something that you don't know the moisture content of; seems like a bad practice. We all swear by Boveda packs or moist bread; there's some pottery you can buy that you can soak in water for an hour to rehydrate your bud. But if you don't know where you are; how do you get to your destination?

Cannador sells a hygrometer that works over bluetooth. At least that way you have an idea of where you are; and what your goal is.

damm,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
There is a producer in the state of WA that puts the Boveda small packages in the 1/8 jars that they sell. There is a producer that seals their jar lids in wax. They sometimes sit around a couple months or more.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: flotntoke
Top Bottom