• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

How much more bud do you need to use when cooking?

FR0ST

So I know the exact amount that I would put in my vaporizer, to reach my desired effects.

However, does anyone know how much more would I need to use when cooking to reach a very similar level?

Is there some sort of math that I can apply between vaporization dose and edible dose :p?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Edibles really depend on the person it's so individualized. Some folks cannot get medicated from edibles. You would need to start at very low amount and work up.

We have dispensaries in WA state that tells you how much THC is in your product.

If making your own I would read up in the cooking thread here on FC. It's no fun if you take too much of an edible. If you are able to buy something pre made I would start at 10mg THC. You need to wait 3 hours to see how you feel when it kicks in. Take more if you feel nothing.

I need something about 125mg THC. You don't always know for sure how much you're getting IMO.

max

Out to lunch
Is there some sort of math that I can apply between vaporization dose and edible dose :p?
I'd say no because the effects from smoking, vaporizing, and using edibles are all different, as are how we react to particular doses. You'll have to see how you yourself react, just as you would with any prescribed medication.

MinnBobber

So I know the exact amount that I would put in my vaporizer, to reach my desired effects.

However, does anyone know how much more would I need to use when cooking to reach a very similar level?

@FROST A couple questions for you:
- how much do you vape in a session? Are you a lightweight or heavy cannabis user?
- What vape do you use?
- What temp do you finish vaping at---if your vape has known temps like a Herbalizer or miniVAP?
- How does your ABV look, very light brown or dark dark dark brown?

Need to know a little more, as some ABV might have been toasted all the way to 445 F so most goodies are gone, while others on this board only vape at 350 F for example and their ABV has a LOT left!!
And how much you use in a vape session.

MinnBobber,
Reactions: FR0ST

FR0ST

Thanks for the replies @CarolKing and @max!

Unfortunately @CarolKing I'll have to do the cooking myself/

@FROST A couple questions for you:
- how much do you vape in a session? Are you a lightweight or heavy cannabis user?
- What vape do you use?
- What temp do you finish vaping at---if your vape has known temps like a Herbalizer or miniVAP?
- How does your ABV look, very light brown or dark dark dark brown?

Need to know a little more, as some ABV might have been toasted all the way to 445 F so most goodies are gone, while others on this board only vape at 350 F for example and their ABV has a LOT left!!
And how much you use in a vape session.

• I have a seriously low tolerance, I vape approximately 10mg of high potency THC cannabis, and this produces nice relaxing effects for me. (I've done far larger quantities, and I've eaten edibles with a gram in before, but I've come to find that less is more most of the time :)).
  • I'm using the Haze V3 - I start on Temp 2 (380F) and finish on Temp 3 (390F). (Do you think it's worth while finishing it off on Temp 4 (415F) @CarolKing ?)
  • Light to medium brown usually.
Thanks for the help guys and gals :)!

FR0ST,

MinnBobber

@FROST
I'm probably very similar user then on amount (0.010- 0.015 mg) to get relaxed and help ease pains. I too could do a lot more but find less is better.
My vape temp is much higher though so I extract more / your ABV will be slightly more potent.
My ABV is dark brown. I go to 445 F always--either in Herbie or miniVAP

I grind ABV/smash it super fine with a spoon, and then measure 1 tablespoon. I think ??? it happened to weigh right about 1 gram??
Went to a movie and definitely felt it but next time I'd do at least 1.5 tablespoons.
Start small as you can't go back once eaten!!!

I'd recommend you try a quicky 1 TBSP with some peanut butter, honey-- microwave/stir. Down the hatch with a spoon. Wait a like 15 minutes and then water/tea etc as you'll need it. On a stay at home kinda day
Kick back and ???

MinnBobber,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
I've never really felt any effects from an edible I have bought from a dispensary. I believe I once tried a 500mg banana bread with no effect and just stopped bothering.

When I have made my own, it's always been just a full mason jar of ground up shake, which I simmer in butter for about 5-10 minutes on low heat, and put that concoction into the fridge for a couple days, re-melt and strain out the herb. Honestly though, the potency has always also been too out of control for me to accurately gauge. I will make a batch of cookies/brownies, eat a quarter or half of one and just be completely blasted, or a different time need a couple treats just to get where I want.

This time around with ABV I will do the simmer/fridge method with coconut oil, and purchase some capsules and a syringe for filling them. My guess is this will make it easier to dose edibles to the correct effect.

seaofgreens,

FR0ST

I've never really felt any effects from an edible I have bought from a dispensary. I believe I once tried a 500mg banana bread with no effect and just stopped bothering.

When I have made my own, it's always been just a full mason jar of ground up shake, which I simmer in butter for about 5-10 minutes on low heat, and put that concoction into the fridge for a couple days, re-melt and strain out the herb. Honestly though, the potency has always also been too out of control for me to accurately gauge. I will make a batch of cookies/brownies, eat a quarter or half of one and just be completely blasted, or a different time need a couple treats just to get where I want.

This time around with ABV I will do the simmer/fridge method with coconut oil, and purchase some capsules and a syringe for filling them. My guess is this will make it easier to dose edibles to the correct effect.

@seaofgreens I've always found the same. When cooking myself, potency would vary incredibly. However, back when I was doing this I wasn't aware of how decarboxylation works, and the optimal times and heats. So maybe this time around i'll have more luck / science, on my side :p.

@FROST
I'm probably very similar user then on amount (0.010- 0.015 mg) to get relaxed and help ease pains. I too could do a lot more but find less is better.
My vape temp is much higher though so I extract more / your ABV will be slightly more potent.
My ABV is dark brown. I go to 445 F always--either in Herbie or miniVAP

I grind ABV/smash it super fine with a spoon, and then measure 1 tablespoon. I think ??? it happened to weigh right about 1 gram??
Went to a movie and definitely felt it but next time I'd do at least 1.5 tablespoons.
Start small as you can't go back once eaten!!!

I'd recommend you try a quicky 1 TBSP with some peanut butter, honey-- microwave/stir. Down the hatch with a spoon. Wait a like 15 minutes and then water/tea etc as you'll need it. On a stay at home kinda day
Kick back and ???

@MinnBobber it's great to hear that I'm not the only one who enjoys amounts that my friends consider laughable! Isn't 445F practically combustion temperatures?

Am I correct in thinking that ABV is pretty much fully decarboxylated, so can be effectively consumed when mixed with some fats such as peanut butter, without requiring any more heating?

I need to get a little more serious about collecting my ABV. Because I always use such a small amount in my vape, it always seems slightly 'more effort that it's worth' to collect it. But at the end of the day it'll build up eventually!

How do you store your ABV? I guess it takes you a long time to save up a decent amount too?

MinnBobber

@seaofgreens

@MinnBobber it's great to hear that I'm not the only one who enjoys amounts that my friends consider laughable! Isn't 445F practically combustion temperatures?

Am I correct in thinking that ABV is pretty much fully decarboxylated, so can be effectively consumed when mixed with some fats such as peanut butter, without requiring any more heating?

How do you store your ABV? I guess it takes you a long time to save up a decent amount too?
......................................................................................................................

1. 445 F---Yes, combustion starts at about 451 F so it is VERY close. It takes a precise vape like miniVAP or Herbalizer or Volcano to get this close.
I go there as my supply is very limited so need to stretch it. Still tastes ok. Good bedtime dose.

2. ABV & decarb ?
Yes, any vaped ABV is good to go, no decarb necessary

3. Store ABV ? I use an old glass spice jar (new ones are plastic). It's glass as I like to monitor the color. No odor escapes. Sits in a vape station drawer. As it approaches 1.5 TBSP I'll start thinking of eating it.

MinnBobber,

FR0ST

Nice man, I'd be lying If I said I wasn't jealous of your miniVAP and Herbalizer collection! I'll be saving up a good while yet before I purchase a desktop (probably a Herbalizer, until then my Haze V3 will do :D)!

Fair enough, I might experiment at finishing off at 415F instead of 390F.

And nice, I'll start saving my ABV in an old jam jar, and start testing out some dosages with peanut butter warmed up quickly in the microwave :).

Thanks for the info, it's good to hear what kind of ABV dose you shoot for, considering you vape with approximately the same dose as me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At some point i'll try experimenting with decarboxylating cannabis in oil, in the oven, at a set temperature for a set time. Then adding that oil to food. As I think this is probably the best way to get consistent results.

But saving up and using ABV will probably be a lot less wasteful :)!

FR0ST,
Top Bottom