How Fast Is Your Internet?

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Back at ya, from Corvallis no less :lol: Go Beavs!

2243268329.png

OSU-beavers-logo.jpg

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Meanwhile, while many people thorughout the state struggle to get decent internet (faster than a couple megs up/down) one ISP is going to construct this two phase network, as part of 'gig-u.' Gig-u is some organization that creates high speed networks, around research centric schools...to quote my ISP's website (the same ISP that will only give me up to 7mb down/1mb up service)

Great Works Internet said:
...Coming soon to communities in Maine
GWI will begin constructing the first Gigabit Main Street Networks in Orono and Old Town in cooperation with the University of Maine System and community leaders. This effort is in association with Gig.U, a nationwide effort to build ultra-high-speed in communities surrounding research universities. No public money will be used in the construction of the network...
Residential services via Gigabit Main Street

GWI will offer ultra-high-speed Internet access to residential customers over the Gigabit Main Street network that are designed for both watching and sharing High Definition video and other bandwidth intensive applications such as gaming, distance learning, cloud computing, and video conferencing.

Service Description Monthly Rate

Quarter Gig 250 Mbps by 250 Mbps symmetrical connection $59.95 Per Month
Half Gig 500 Mbps by 500 Mbps symmetrical connection $99.95 Per Month
Full Gig 1000 Mbps by 1000 Mbps symmetrical connection $139.95 Per Month

Add a phone line with unlimited North American long distance for just $9.95 per month.

All services over the Gigabit Main Street Network are delivered by dedicated (not shared) fiber connections to maximize connection speed, reliability, and security.

Unless I'm mistaken, I will be living anywhere from 10-15 miles out of this service area. What's more absurd, is that the town I live in, is far more populated/busy/business centered. The only difference in the two areas, is the one getting the internet has the state university.

Purpl3_Haz3,
Reactions: Vicki

Peloton

Vapes Hard

Not bad, considering my internet comes with my rent... maybe it has something to do with the major science university nearby? :science:

Peloton,

SD_haze

:|
2243387112.png

About the best we can get around here. Waiting on Fiber Optic availability...
I have fiber optics and I'm pulling less
2243935730.png

My area didn't have the infrastructure until a few weeks ago, but they only let us start at the lowest speed (6) instead of the max (24)

Don't really know why :ko:

SD_haze,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
2245159256.png

Best speedtest I've received to date for $49.95/mo rural service

Cannaduh SUCKS !

smokum,

weedemon

enthusiast
6mbit down (580k/sec or so) 1mbit(80k/sec) up. unlimited monthly amount. 45 a month. moving where i am going to be on fiber :) fun and even more nerdy times ahead :)

weedemon,

djonkoman

I'm trying to do that speedtest too, but can someone tell me where I can find it? I''ve clicked any button that said something that coud hint it being a button/link to start the test, but the only thing I can get is this:
W6mkr.png

djonkoman,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I win the booby prize. I got the lowest ping !! :rockon:

Clearly you are not an online gamer. Ping is a measure of latency, which determines how fast you can react in a game. Gamers would kill for your ping time.

I'm trying to do that speedtest too, but can someone tell me where I can find it? I''ve clicked any button that said something that coud hint it being a button/link to start the test, but the only thing I can get is this:
W6mkr.png

This looks as though you've clicked the Begin button but it never selects a server. Speedtest pings the nearest servers and chooses the one with the lowest latency. You seem to have some sort of blocking in place, so I'd try turning that off for speedtest.net.

lwien

Clearly you are not an online gamer. Ping is a measure of latency, which determines how fast you can react in a game. Gamers would kill for your ping time.

Yeah, I know. I was kinda kiddin' when I made that statement. I used to be a major WoW addict and low ping rates REALLY helped. But man, I pale in comparison to some of these DL and UL speeds.

lwien,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I'm jealous of 11 ping too! mmenzie is owning the D/L record at 96.41 Mb/s, and I have the highest U/L speed posted so far I think! :razz:

Peloton,
Top Bottom