How do you vape in public?

Macc_z

Depends on where I walk but Vapman does the trick, when I want to use a torch.
However, once I got the grasshopper it changed everything, its so quick people barely take notice.

CBDFarm

QUIT.
Like so.

hqdefault.jpg

LOL JK thats my inside vaping... When I go out... I just hit it in my hand and exhale... Lots of swag kids who have the regular vape pens here in California.Plus its California so no one questions it.

°k

The sound of vapor
Grasshopper in hand, taking one big hit and not blowing the vapour in people's face or path (especially if they have children); basically minding my own business without bothering anyone with it.

I'd like something I could have more shorter hits on but unfortunately that is not the way the GH works for me...

Vitolo

Vaporist
Inhalater is my favorite vape to use in public places.
I also use the MFLB.. people do not know what to think of it, especially with no stem.
I have found that it is best to use a direct gaze.
While hitting the vape, if any person in public looks at me, I find that it works well to not stop my hit or vape related activity, and meet their gaze with direct eye contact... even as I shake the box.
Looking right into their eyes locks their attention, and they stop looking at your vape, and since they do not FULLY understand what I am doing, they look away.

°k

The sound of vapor
I also use the MFLB.. people do not know what to think of it, especially with no stem.
While hitting the vape, if any person in public looks at me, I find that it works well to not stop my hit or vape related activity, and meet their gaze with direct eye contact... even as I shake the box.
Looking right into their eyes locks their attention, and they stop looking at your vape, and since they do not FULLY understand what I am doing, they look away.
Mind control Vitolo!

bounce5

Interesting. If you don't act like it's a big deal, people won't think it's a big deal - sometimes it's the best tactic. But @Vitolo I can see how this would be particularly effective for you as an older white man. People don't generally question older white men as much (or men as much) - as far as what you do in your personal space, and the direct gaze is probably just a bit intimidating coming from you, further discouraging questioning. They probably think it's a type of inhaler.

ButterflySky

Vaped first time in public last weekend. It was liberating. Used a plastic cup with lid and my Solo straight stem sticking out the top like a straw. Worked great, was confident, didn't act like I was doing anything wrong. Did it in our car before a concert, always enjoy great music so much more when medicated. Only problem was, when we got back to the car, the inside had a very strong cannabis smell. Next time I will try some caps over the stem.

PS... be careful when using the word "vaped", my tablet auto corrected to "raped". Glad I caught it, my opening line would have said, "Raped first time in public last weekend. It was liberating". Soo glad it didn't publish like that. :nod:

Hammahead

I use my Atmos Boss in public where I stand and wait (in the morning at the station) and act just exactly like all the other e-cigarette users. It doesn't release "huge" clouds of vapour, so nobody ever gave me a strange look or anything. The smell can only be identified by a fellow vape-viper so I feel 100% safe. I am considering my newly bought Grasshopper though, as I am starting to master using it without a water filter or something else to cool the vape, but I am a little concerned it might look "different" from what the other folks use. When I am moving on the street, I rather use a wax pen, I can inhale a deep puff in a few secs, and look just exactly like all the other vapers.

I live in Hamburg, a pretty liberal and tolerant city, but public toking at the wrong place and time might cost you a couple hundred euros. Even in the hip places like Schanzenviertel, Sankt Pauli or Sankt Georg it might be tolerated most of the time, but when the Hamburg senate reads the wrong tabloids, they might decide to flood the streets with plain clothed cops who will follow up all combusters they can get a whiff of to write them bloody tickets. Its actually not the act of consuming pot that they're trying to eradicate, its the fact that Mr. and Mrs. Straight might get aware of it. I never heard of a public vaper who got in trouble cause the Straights don't know that smell from their Amsterdam holidays. No complaint - no hassle.

Baron23

Guys, this is going to sound judgmental and make me out to be a real dick, but that's really not my intention.

So here it is, I no more go out sucking on a vape than I do sucking on a half pint of whiskey. See what I mean?

Now, if you are a bona fide medical patient in a medical state (or, my opinion is in any state) and need to medicate during the day, go for it. But does that need to be done strolling in public? I see this aspect a lot like breast feeding....not everybody really wants to see it.

Cheers

Vitolo

Vaporist
You are surely entitled to your opinion.
Your opinion is in fact respected...
...but the comparison to sucking on a half pint of whiskey was a bit over the top.

One is addictive, kills brain cells, destroys vital organs, and can be used as a paint thinner.
The other can do none of those things under any circumstance of ingestion.

But does that need to be done strolling in public?
Yes.
When it is time to medicate and I am in public, there is no time to go find a tree to hide behind, or a doorway to duck into.
Sick means do it now.
Do it now means while you are strolling in public if that is where you happen to be.
Stopping the "stroll" to be more discreet costs valuable seconds that could make a big difference.
But as I said....
...and your opinion is still respected.

Last edited:

°k

The sound of vapor
While Vitolo has explained how he can feel the need to vape in public from a medicinal use point of view, I as a non-medicinal user (even though it'd need to be confirmed that you can use it recreationally without getting any other benefits) believe I can perfectly enjoy vaping without bothering anyone or even being noticed for that matter.
As I said I make sure not to blow in anyone's face or in their way (I most of the time blow vapor above my head if there are people around (I'll have to admit it's different during a concert but it usually smells of weed and there are no kids around).
Now why can't I refrain from vaping outside? Well I don't necessarily want to head back home every time I fancy having a vape, I can enjoy one during an afternoon in a parc, or to chill on the way back from work before taking the underground to commute for a while, or after dinning out while I'm walking to the movies, there are plenty of occasions.

I've always been told my freedom stops where others' begin and I believe that's how it should be.

Hammahead

I firmly believe in my right to get high whenever and whereever I like to and see it fitting. As *k said "my freedom stops where others' begin", so as with anything I do, I try not to annoy or frighten anyone while I do it. So I vape under exactly the same conditions under which smoking is allowed and accepted. The way I consume doesn't bother anyone, nor does my behaviour when I'm high, simply because nobody gets it. There are so many nuances of high, and the ones I prefer, get me in a relaxed, but present state. I don't have a doctor's advice, the only disease I ease with the breeze is my weltschmerz, and as I said: I see this as my natural right. The pleasant herb lift's me up a bit and that's all there is. If alcohol did this for me, I'ld have a super discreet flask of vodka in my pocket, and nobody would see me sipping on it, so it's a little vape pen. Baron23 is as entitled to his own opinion as anyone else. I just don't see the relevance here, as naturally most people here try to avoid any public attention. If they don't act that way but annoy and irritate people in public, then that's to criticize. But I really don't see any in-your-face dope fiends sipping on mobile vaporizers.

Baron23

Your opinion is in fact respected...
...but the comparison to sucking on a half pint of whiskey was a bit over the top.

One is addictive, kills brain cells, destroys vital organs, and can be used as a paint thinner.
The other can do none of those things under any circumstance of ingestion.

Yes.
When it is time to medicate and I am in public, there is no time to go find a tree to hide behind, or a doorway to duck into.
Sick means do it now.
Do it now means while you are strolling in public if that is where you happen to be.
Stopping the "stroll" to be more discreet costs valuable seconds that could make a big difference.
But as I said....

...and your opinion is still respected.
Hi Vitolo - like your self, I believe that people are entitled to their opinion and views and that their views be accorded commensurate respect.

So, I respectively disagree with you that the toxicity of the substance makes any difference in public consumption. So, we disagree here.

On the subject of medication, I was not aware and quite surprised to learn that there are conditions that require immediate, with no delay, medication. I don't know what your condition is and I'm not asking (ain't none of my business, for sure) but I was not aware that such situations truly existed so thank you for correcting me.

Look, I own a very nice 1/2 pint flask and will take it out for after hunting or on to a football game, that type of thing. I'm certainly not a prude about this sort of stuff. Likewise, although not often, I will occasionally travel with a vape to share with friends at an event and the like. So yes, I'm out of the house or a bar, but not really strolling down the street hitting it. See what I mean?

But I think....emphasis on think and not know...that many who vape in public are recreational users who do it cause they want to. I think (that word again) that you may find that the larger population will view public consumption as public consumption, no matter the substance, and that this is reflected in the laws in full-legalized states.

Finally, it is my long held personal philosophy that I am not the arbiter of others behavior. I have long held a live and let live attitude. So, with that I will conclude my participation in this thread :):wave:

Best to you and thank you for your reply.

Last edited:

Hammahead

But I think....emphasis on think and not know...that many who vape in public are recreational users who just do it cause they want to.

The word "just" is what kind of grinds my gear a tiny bit. I totally reject the idea that cannabis is ok for sick people but not for anyone else. Even if you don't mean that, you make it sound that way a bit. Even very tiny words matter... sorry for being a stifler.

I think (that word again) that you may find that the larger population will view public consumption as public consumption, no matter the substance, and that this is reflected in the laws in full-legalized states.

That's exactly my point: the public doesn't see any drug consumption if a bloke sucks on a tiny vape and exhales a bit of vapour. Cause nobody knows of what this vapour consists, and most people in- and exhale perfectly legal material. Well, and then some don't... It does not smell, it does not intoxicate, it does not harm anyone and it doesn't cause any irritation. Nobody gets hurt, nobody is aware.

If it's forbidden to publicly inhale _any_ substance, then one shouldn't do it, I agree to that. Openly breaking laws is not a good thing to do in a society, at least not in places, where this is frowned upon and/or would make people feel unsafe in any way.

Last edited:

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
@Baron23 Let's also not forget that it is legal federally to get drunk in public with your children sitting right next to you. Public consumption for alcohol is only frowned upon when you have people getting out of hand. Why should it be any different with pot?

If you get some responses out of us, don't run and take cover, stick around and respond. Were all here for a healthy discussion, not to make others feel like their opinions are not valuable.

Edit: Also, please note that in DC there is no law about public consumption or any consumption for that matter. It is legal to possess therefore it is legal to consume on the streets anywhere!

Baron23

The word "just" is what kind of grinds my gear a tiny bit. I totally reject the idea that cannabis is ok for sick people but not for anyone else. Even if you don't mean that, you make it sound that way a bit. Even very tiny words matter... sorry for being a stifler.

That's exactly my point: the public doesn't see any drug consumption if a bloke sucks on a tiny vape and exhales a bit of vapour. Cause nobody knows of what this vapour consists, and most people in- and exhale perfectly legal material. Well, and then some don't... It does not smell, it does not intoxicate, it does not harm anyone and it doesn't cause any irritation. Nobody gets hurt, nobody is aware.

If it's forbidden to publicly inhale _any_ substance, then one shouldn't do it, I agree to that. Openly breaking laws is not a good thing to do in a society, at least not in places, where this is frowned upon and/or would make people feel unsafe in any way.
Hi Hamma - not an intentional context and I deleted that word.

As for if people see it, don't see it, whatever....as I said, I'm not the arbiter of anyone's behavior.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@Baron23 / @Hammahead - I didn't find the 'just' statement to be overly derogatory. I interpreted the 'just' statement not so much as a shot at rec users but more of a contrast to med users. In other words - A med user may be out and about and in public when the need to medicate occurs and has to git-er-done or suffer. A rec user 'just' wants to git-er-done.

FWIW - I'm a rec user and yeah....I want to git-er-done when I'm at a concert, going out to dinner, on the beach, fishing, etc................................................

Baron23

@Baron23 Let's also not forget that it is legal federally to get drunk in public with your children sitting right next to you. Public consumption for alcohol is only frowned upon when you have people getting out of hand. Why should it be any different with pot?

If you get some responses out of us, don't run and take cover, stick around and respond. Were all here for a healthy discussion, not to make others feel like their opinions are not valuable.

Edit: Also, please note that in DC there is no law about public consumption or any consumption for that matter. It is legal to possess therefore it is legal to consume on the streets anywhere!
I'm definitely not running, I just rather thought that Vitolo and I had concluded our discussion and that on a point or two we disagree...respectfully.

Now, as to DC law...I also live in this metropolitan area and think you may wish to look more closely into the laws in affect in DC:

What is still a criminal violation?

A person can still be arrested for:

• Selling any amount of marijuana to another person;
  • Possessing more than two ounces of marijuana;
  • Operating a vehicle or boat under the influence of marijuana; or
  • Smoking, eating, or drinking marijuana – or holding or carrying a lighted roll of paper or other lighted smoking equipment filled with marijuana – in any public space, such as:
    • On any street, sidewalk, alley, park, or parking area;
    • In a vehicle on any street, alley, park, or parking area; or
    • Any place to which the public is invited.
http://mpdc.dc.gov/marijuana

....there are many people ....(most of them young)...who have not experienced back pain yet.....just wait.
Yep, back surgery and significant neuropathy since 2004. Dang right, it sure is a life changer.

If said in response to me, please let me again say, as clear as I can, I do not set myself up as the arbiter of any one else behavior at all. That's it.

I expressed my view.

The end

The best to you all

Top Bottom