1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you vape in public?

Discussion in 'Vaporization Discussion' started by Nesta, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Polarbearboy

Polarbearboy Tokin' Away Since 1968

Many years ago I was superintendent of an island park in an urban harbor. In the middle of my first summer one of the overnight crew got fired by the foreman and the other quit, so there was no one to do the overnights alone on the island with its great granite fortifications. So for three weeks after work downtown, I'd hop on one of our motor boats and head out to the island to spend the night. The island was closed to the public after 5, when the day crew left, and so I was alone. I'd head up to the cannon ports and smoke a bone before settling in for the night in the administration building.

On my second night as I was walking back to the admin building after smoking a J, I heard the sound of a boat pulling into the pier and soon realized it was the state police harbor patrol. At first I freaked out but I had to talk to them in the tight little office where they were sitting when I got back down. They were stopping in for a routine check and to chit-chat with me to make the evening pass. I explained away my reddish eyes and slightly disheveled appearance by saying that I'd been working all day and then came out here and that I was exhausted. I was scared shitless that they would smell the dope on my breath. But then they left. I was shaking, because if they realized I was stoned, they would have either arrested or reported me and I would have lost my excellent job.

Then the lightbulb went on! I ended up needing to do the overnight on the island for three straight weeks. When I headed out for my smoke or after smoking, I would always have a flask of whiskey in my hip pocket. I usually didn't drink that much, but if I heard the police boat pulling in, I'd take a swig. Suddenly my breath would be masked, and I'd have an excuse for bloodshot eyes and a bit of erraticness. They were all drinkers and they could have cared less if I was drinking during normal working hours, never mind after hours.

Moral of the story? Use booze to cover up your pot habit!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. His_Highness

His_Highness In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

LOL!!!! @Polarbearboy - Great story!

I used the booze cover-up for several decades with my kids and occasional company. Once the kids were old enough to "catch-on" and so were their friends....I'd make myself a drink and take it with me when I'd sneak somewhere to get high. Worked like a charm.

Glad I'm out of the MJ closet....unfortunately my booze bill is still the same :D

3. GreenCheese

GreenCheese New Member

If you want to vape in the public, inhale and breathe down your shirt. I mean at least no one would notice the smoke

bigbossgrayfox03 and Summer like this.
  4. Evilevile

Evilevile Active Member

Apparently here in Canada..
    It's illegal to smoke weed in public parks. Where I live, we are not allowed to smoke inside, on, or near property. But now we're getting hassled for going to the park. I'm already not high anymore by the time I get back home. This is getting ridiculous.
    I'll risk it for a fine as long as I don't get arrested.

5. slozukimc

slozukimc Well-Known Member

I have recently discovered the stealth and convenience of an Imini mod with a Ccell type oil cartridge. Smaller than a Bic lighter so it’s easy as hell to hide.
    I love my Hercules for the awesome taste but it’s a little big to be stealthy. With the Imini you can take a toke or two pretty much anywhere. On the low setting it tastes ok and makes a pretty decent amount of vapor. It’s not perfect but it is super stealthy.

asdf420 likes this.
  6. Evilevile

Evilevile Active Member

After satisfying my VAS for now with Dry Herb vapes, I'm looking into getting a Sai or similar device for concentrates. I know that concentrate devices can be much stealthier, but I have no idea where to start looking. :shrug:

I'm almost tempted just to vape in my room, blow into a smoke buddy/sploofy and use Ona spray. Only problem is that I end up with a paranoid, anxious buzz. :uhoh::ninja:

asdf420 likes this.
  7. slozukimc

Take small tokes and hold them as long as you can. Very little vapor will come out. I have used my vapes in places you wouldn’t believe. In the hospital when I had gallbladder surgery, in the ER while waiting for my wife, standing on the sidewalk in Queens talking to a NYPD cop and more. Most of the time if you don’t look like you are doing something wrong peoples first assumption is ecig out in public. Indoors it’s all about small tokes.

8. Vapor4me

Vapor4me Active Member

Vaping in public, at lower temps, can be very discrete... And I use a Mighty :lol:

As said above, hold your toke in for as long as you comfortably can, and release it slowly. Not looking like you're doing suspicious is already half the battle.

A smoke buddy and ona seem a bit overkill for vaping indoors at your own place, and the added paranoia a deal breaker. Go out for a walk around the block and take your vapo with you.

9. Hammahead

Hammahead Well-Known Member

I'm using my Crafty every morning at the train station, and I just use it exactly as the other folks toking on an e-cig. The only looks I get are from those e-shisha freaks pitying me for my measly little clouds. So I guess I look like the guy with an outdated e-cig mod.

10. latulipe999

latulipe999 Well-Known Member

They also ask me why my device is so huge ( I am a mighty user)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  11. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

Tell them it doubles as a wifi access point, and the mouthpiece is the antenna :-).

LOL

Summer and His_Highness like this.
  12. latulipe999

latulipe999 Well-Known Member

I joke with Kids and tell them its a talky-walky to talks with rabits.

cloudsosmoke, ilsasta, grokit and 4 others like this.
  13. slozukimc

Not trying to be insulting in any way but is it the buzz that causes the paranoia or a personality trait? Don’t know if you were buzzed when ya posted but I think you worry too much.
    Try to make yourself feel like you aren’t doing anything wrong. If you feel guilty about vaping how can you relax and enjoy your buzz?
    And if it is the buzz causing the paranoia maybe try a different strain. I have some friends that end up acting like a paranoid nut job if they smoke the wrong strain. I mean to the point of not being able to do shit because they are too nervous about everything. I tell them weed is not for them or they need a different strain. They don’t listen. They just keep tokin away cuz it’s the thing to do and suffering with the side effects.

14. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I agree a strain change may be in order....
    But, I also feel that you should vape only where it makes you comfortable, and take measures to feel safe... until the day comes that you no longer feel the paranoia.
    There is no need to enter situations that you feel may cause uncomfortable feelings!
    Vape only in places that make you feel good.

15. slozukimc

What? Joke? You mean the rabbits don’t talk?

latulipe999 and His_Highness like this.
  16. Evilevile

Evilevile Active Member

I live in a communal (harm reduction) building with 45 different rooms. We are not allowed to smoke or vape in our rooms, on or near property.
    If I get caught, it's an automatic eviction onto the streets.

In the past, I've tried vaping in my room with a Sploofy/smoke buddy to see if I could get away with it if need be, for example if it's raining sideways or a snowstorm outside.
    Now depending on how I already feel, it still feels better to be medicated, but once I am, I can't shake the feeling that someone has already smelled it and is on their way to knock on my door or get staff to come and kick me out. It's also like my spidey senses are tingling in that I can hear and feel everyone's footsteps in the building getting closer to me.

Picture an apartment hallway with all the rooms. It's like that. My neighbors, some of them who don't partake, can probably smell it quite easily.
    The only advantage I can think of is that my room already smells like weed anyway.

So regardless of how well I hide the smell, I still end up with an anxious buzz because of the set and setting. I don't think it's the strain specifically, though I can't argue that it's obviously a lot worse if the strain has the tendency. I also suffer from anxiety and medicate to alleviate it, so what's the point in this case?

I am looking into better strains for anxiety however, such as with a good % of CBD or Linalool.

A girl at our house was smoking weed at the park yesterday. Some nosy old lady took pictures of her without her permission and sent it to our building manager. The manager actually acknowledged the pictures and gave the girl and everyone else here a warning not to smoke at the parks because it's illegal. So we're just being pushed around here and there. What kind of a society is that?

WeedyGirl1979 likes this.
  17. slozukimc

Damn. That makes it a bit difficult. A cartridge type oil vape can give you super discreet tokes that are so small that you can blow it through a wadded up rag and there is no smell at all.
    Sounds like your surroundings sure don’t help with the anxiety but it is what it is right? I also vape for anxiety, pain and well, I like the buzz. If I were in that setting I would have to go for a walk somewhere private to vape and feel safe.

18. slozukimc

That sucks! Sounds like it’s time for a vape that looks like an ecig and blows big clouds so you look like everyone else these days. They make some pretty cool load as ya go types that screw on almost any box mod and look like a drip type vape.

19. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

Man, I feel for you, seriously.

This is what I would do if i were you.

1. Get your medical marijuana certification in Canada. That way, you are fully legal. I know you guys are close to legalizing recreationally, but the medical aspect, is a tad better in a lot of respects.

2. If you really need to vape, once you have your certification, go to the dispensary and get some 510 oil cartridges. A lot have some flavor to them, and definitely don't smell like marijuana. You can use those anywhere you are allowed to smoke / vape cigarettes.

3. If those two above scenarios are undoable for you, get a portable vape, Mighty, something. You might have it, I'm just too high to remember right now. Don't go to the park, the park is the worst spot. Walk around the outside of the park. Or, better yet, just walk down the street, far from your community, Always take different routes. Go different ways. But just walk, and vape. Hasn't failed me yet.

Hope those help!

20. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I simply don't.

Don't hit that half pint in public anymore either! LOL

Silver420Surfer likes this.
  21. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I am sooo very sorry your situation is so tight.
    Perhaps it is time to investigate inhalers, mists, sublingual drops, and of course medibles.
    Going to an MMJ doc, or any M.D. for a card is a positive step.
    I like that post.... and I hope it gives you some encouragement.
    I agree that a portable is in order...
    ... as is a walk down the street.
    The Fury 2 is very small, and it heats up VERY fast.
    It has become my favorite small portable for when I am in a hurry, and they are not expensive.

One other thought......
    If your closet,or bathroom has a vent that is an "intake"....
    go in closet or stand on toilet, and blow all vapor into the intake.
    (I have done this in the Hospital!)
    Eventually that will get blown out at roof.
    If the intake circulates, then all rooms are connected to it, and the smell will be dispersed, and very vague by the time anyone with Bloodhound nose notices a almost indistinct essence.
    Then nobody would know who in the building has made the scent.
    It will be so vague, it could be just on someone's clothing.
    It surely is not against the regulations to have clothing that smells of that essence.
    Again... I am saddened by the tight spot that you feel yourself boxed into.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors