How do you like your eggs?

EveryDayAmnesiac

Hell yeah. My current fave breakfasts are the huevos rancheros and an egg and fresh chorizo torta with avocado and beans, from my local taqueria. Which is so good it's been on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (Guy Fieri can't cook, and i agree with Jon Hodgman that his very existence is a sign of Ragnarok, bit he finds some awesome places). It's R&R Taqueria on Route 1 in PG County, MD, about 10 minutes north of College Park, in a Shell station. People here find that odd, but in North Carolina some of the best barbecue is in shacks attached to gas stations. Ditto for pit beef in Baltimore.

The place does actual Mexican, not Tex-Mex or Mexicali - very rare in this part of the country. As good as the Mexican food the French chef who trained me made, and he lived a year each training in Veracruz, Oaxaca, and Mexico City, and is one of the inventors of Santa Fe cuisine (the chef was half Navajo, half Eastern European Jew [one of my peeps], and all NY and Paris queen).

I always wanted to be a well-traveled chef... sigh.

I can attest to the fact that North Carolina does have amazing barbecue in the shittiest-looking places. And I'm not sure why, but people don't mind really dirty conditions so long as the food is being made and served OUTSIDE. It's a different standard. I don't get it. :shrug:

Alton Brown was always my favorite celebrity cook/chef. I love how exact and scientific he is. Nothing annoys me more than when you ask a chef how long something will take to cook, and they reply with that stupid "until it's done" comment. :bang:

Just started eating gluten free to see if it'll help my chronic pain this morning actually.

I use one of these to make eggs.

413cL0hIfKL.jpg

Its set it and get ready for work and come back a few min to omelettes. No butter or cooking spray of any kind is required. Normally I like egg sandwiches, but since I'm trying gluten free I just plop it on a plate and throw a piece of cheese on top.

The hardest part about making eggs with that thing is just avoiding shells. So easy a 12 year old could use it.

That does look very handy, but does it give you the same satisfaction as "working your own eggs" ? I am curious.

EveryDayAmnesiac,
Reactions: grokit

arf777

No longer dogless
I always wanted to be a well-traveled chef... sigh.

I can attest to the fact that North Carolina does have amazing barbecue in the shittiest-looking places. And I'm not sure why, but people don't mind really dirty conditions so long as the food is being made and served OUTSIDE. It's a different standard. I don't get it. :shrug:

Alton Brown was always my favorite celebrity cook/chef. I love how exact and scientific he is. Nothing annoys me more than when you ask a chef how long something will take to cook, and they reply with that stupid "until it's done" comment. :bang:

That does look very handy, but does it give you the same satisfaction as "working your own eggs" ? I am curious.

Trying to find a link to a free copy, given this thread's topic - my current favorite celeb chef is David Chang of Momofuku in NY. He did an entire episode of his 'Mind of a Chef' on eggs. Some truly crazy shit - slow-poached, a deconstructed Benedict, etc. Parts are on youtube - like this bit on 'puffed' eggs
-

...but can't find the whole episode free. If you have netflix or amazon prime, it's available on both.

Last edited:

Jeremy Driscoll

I get little already made egg and sausage or ham and cheese varieties with food stamps then microwave away, and breakfast with modern technology, and tax money is served. Along with Internet for my morning tv show that I get for free to start my day with my eggs, oh and of course a puff and 10 minute moment on my balcony with the pond and the ducks and my dog.

I feel it is not just the eggs themselves, but also the entire atmosphere in which makes every morning a complete ritual that is sacred and special.

However. With that said, I think that out every breakfast I have, that the egg plays at the center of importance, in both taste, and nutrition. With ham second, and bread in third, cheese is last.

Also taco salsa on my ham and egg english biscuit sandwich is ideal. WITH HOT SAUCE.

Jeremy Driscoll,
Reactions: CG420

crawdad

floatin
my favorite egg thing to cook is something i make when camping (or homing i guess too) called swamp skillet. not sure how the name got there its what i rememebr it being called is all.

get a cast iron skillet, high sides.
cook some bacon, at least a pound. set aside.
keeping some bacon grease in cook up some diced potatoes till they get slightly crunchy on outside but dont overdo it.
toss the bacon back in.
scramble about 8-10 eggs and pour over the potatoes and bacon (dont overdo the eggs, i hate dry scrambles).
drop some shredded cheese over it too and mix it all up.
salt. pepper.

ive also done this inside of a brown paper bag while camping when i didnt have a skillet, it worked lol

arf777

No longer dogless
my favorite egg thing to cook is something i make when camping (or homing i guess too) called swamp skillet. not sure how the name got there its what i rememebr it being called is all.

get a cast iron skillet, high sides.
cook some bacon, at least a pound. set aside.
keeping some bacon grease in cook up some diced potatoes till they get slightly crunchy on outside but dont overdo it.
toss the bacon back in.
scramble about 8-10 eggs and pour over the potatoes and bacon (dont overdo the eggs, i hate dry scrambles).
drop some shredded cheese over it too and mix it all up.
salt. pepper.

ive also done this inside of a brown paper bag while camping when i didnt have a skillet, it worked lol
If you dump the eggs right onto the bacon and 'taters without setting them aside, then cover it until the eggs firm up a little, you have a frittata. Officially gourmet food.

SD_haze

If you dump the eggs right onto the bacon and 'taters without setting them aside, then cover it until the eggs firm up a little, you have a frittata. Officially gourmet food.
Wouldn't the bacon be overcooked by the time it takes the potatoes to get crispy?
Or do you mean add the potatoes just when the fat starts to render out of the bacon?

I love easy but hearty camping recipes :D

SD_haze,

arf777

No longer dogless
If you layer and time it right, it all cooks evenly. Thick sliced bacon, plus either shredded or par-boilied bigger chunks of potato, guarantees it comes out right. Works great in a wood-burning stove too.

arf777,
Reactions: SD_haze

FukCombustion

Sorry, I'm actually referring to the food, not the implied vaporizer.

But omelettes are still awesome.

omelette_orange_close_glam.jpg

Spread the love. And the next time you're thinking "What do I want to eat?" do yourself a favor and make an economically prudent, nutritionally delicious omelette, complete with avocados, chili, hot sauce, olive oil, pepper, and seemingly endless array of foods and ingredients.

Top Bottom