• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

How do you know when your buds are done being vaped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman5280

I have had a DBV for a while now and I'm wondering if I am wasting any bud. What does proper ABV look like?

I usually vape until the pack is darkish brown, but not super dark...anything past this point tastes bad and burns my throat.

My question is, at what point is the bud done? Or not worth vaping? I know some people bake their ABV but I'm not really interested in that. I would rather vape the buds to the max and then pack a fresh. But I worry that I am wasting buds when I stop at dark brown...

So what does proper ABV look like?

Am I getting anything more by vapig until the ABV is black instead of brown?

Jman5280,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I usually vape until the pack is darkish brown, but not super dark...anything past this point tastes bad and burns my throat.

Sounds like you're getting quite a bit out of your bud. My rule of thumb is that the bud is cashed if there is either no more vapor or the taste is bad.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Depends on effect desired.. I stay low temp all day unless I need pain relief, which is like lunchtime.. As far as being cashed, whenever I don't get vapor is when I put in the ABV jar for future use.

KidFated.,

KidFated.

Unknown Member
IMO, it's always worth an ISO run. Or eat it. Or dump it in the compost where I get my fishin worms. I usually decide when my ABV container is full.

KidFated.,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Jenna_Kitten

I normally vape mine until it's dark brown with black specks, but most people would consider that overdoing it

Jenna_Kitten,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Does dark brown ABV have anything worthwhile left?
Whether there's anything left over that's worth saving is subjective. Yes, there are cannabanoids left over. I haven't had a lot of success using abv for cooking (too weak), but many have done ISO runs and gotten vapable resins from it or used high proof alcohol to make tincture from it. It can also be used to infuse oil to make a pain salve.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: biohacker

fft

You know, member @an0maly posted this thread a few months back with a recent study from a lab in Massachusetts (member @mcrlabs). They were looking at how much THC and CBD were in vapor from a MFLB after 30 hits. There is a link to the white paper in that thread and it addresses the THC and CBD composition at different intervals over those 30 hits.

What I found really interesting (and sorry for reposting this exhibit) was what was left in the ABV after the 30 hits:

eucxi8e.png

While there certainly were fewer Cannabinoids in the ABV, the remaining cannabinoid composition of the ABV was still nearly 75% THC. Not only that, about a third of said THC was in THCa form, meaning it had not yet decarboxlyated.

Those interested in the topic should read the full white paper. The other exhibit has a nice graph of the THC composition across the 30 hits. Basically by the end of 30 hits the THC level is 30% of what it was in the first hit.

Goes to show there is something useful to reclaim, provided you want to go through the effort to reclaim it.

EDIT: An article on this originally came out on Medical Jane. Here's that other exhibit:

dosing.jpg

Last edited:

MinnBobber

Thanks fft,
I'd really like to see the same test done with a quality convection vape!!!
With really good temp control and a run of 30 draws at a low temp, and another
test with 30 draws at a med temp, and a high temp test.

fft

Thanks fft,
I'd really like to see the same test done with a quality convection vape!!!
With really good temp control and a run of 30 draws at a low temp, and another
test with 30 draws at a med temp, and a high temp test.

Me too. Or a comparison of a few different vapes to see how much of a difference there really is across vape designs. I also was looking at those photos of the ABV in Figure 1 and wonder if getting a more consistent grind would give different results.

Looking at @mcrlabs Facebook page and they were doing a special at some point where they were charging $40 per test run. I dont live in MA, but I could see the time coming where vape reviewers include a lab test on the ABV. Lots of variables to control for (e.g. - grind, strain, hit size) so we are not talking about serious controlled experiments, but it would still be very informative given how little data like this is out there today.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
@scarlettohaira this would have been a better question for the Nano thread or there are several threads covering it in "Ask FC." Here are a couple...

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/re-using-iso-washes.7047/#post-273569

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/how-to-use-wand-hash.5168/

The best way I know of is to set the piece in a jar of either ISO or high proof alcohol (Everclear or 151) and let it soak. You reuse your cleaning solution until it gets nice and golden, then evaporate it down.

If you are using ISO, you evaporate it down and can vape it.

If using high proof alcohol, you can use the reclaim for ingestion.

NEVER ingest reclaim made from ISO!!!!!!!!

@momofthegoons thanks for this. Just to note I have virtually no experience with weed or vaping and so sometimes when I try searching strings of words I get reams of posts which are completely unfathomable to me. Sometimes when I have managed to follow and understand a trail of posts, it seems a sensible plac e to ask my question, where I might have some chance of understanding what was being said.

scarlettohaira,
Reactions: DieHard
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom