• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

How do you find out what terpenes are in a strain? I’m finding nothing on google. Or state registry

Mookie0608

I was wondering on different strains how you would research and find all the terpenes in each strain. I really enjoy purple urkel and was trying to find the terpenes in it to find similar strains to try, and I’m not having much luck. I checked with the states testing department or what ever they keep a log of the testing data from all the dispensaries strains and they got a lot on there but can’t find terpenes present in the data. Asked a dispensary and they looked at me like I was crazy. They said the main important thing is thca and cbd percentages that’s all people care about. You try every strain and see what works better then others.

Mookie0608,

EverythingsHazy

Unless it is from an extremely stable line (inbred for a minimum of several generations), or from a clone, you can’t get accurate answers from strain review sites. Every seed grown plant has unique genetics.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
No problem bud. Glad to help.

Firefox is reporting their cert as expired today :(

I'll try to remember to go look 'em up.

oh, and I largely agree with the comments above, while you can have a generally known target for compounds in a specific strain, there are a LOT of variables in play for what you'll actually produce.

looney2nz,
Reactions: arb
You can accept the security exception and continue to the site. Yes, each sample is different but I have found that strains do follow patterns. I have made recipes for terps to add to edibles based upon these reports and the results have been predictable.

TomBstoned

Unless it is from an extremely stable line (inbred for a minimum of several generations), or from a clone, you can’t get accurate answers from strain review sites. Every seed grown plant has unique genetics.
Yes. But you can get a very good idea. A friend get very anxious and jittery, heart pounding, things like that from several strains. Ex. Every different Bruce Banner strain he's ever tried does it. Others too ofcourse. I know it's the sativa heavy strains that do it. But not every sativa heavy strain. Take Jack Herer, I expected him to not like/want it. Its nice upper type strain, but he loves it. I really think it's terpene profile. I know strain phenotypes differ. And the growing conditions affect the terp/cannabinoid production. But as a baseline I think every strains terp profile is similar. Especially F1 strains. Just my opinion tho. I love terps, and the science around/about them.

TomBstoned,

fernand

I think the terpene card is currently being overplayed. It's opened the door to poorly defined misc stuff having terpenes added and then being sold as a specific strain. This confuses the already tricky picture.

Terpene vendors are making a lot of money, e.g. selling 2 ml of a mix of Terpenes (that they sell individually at ~ $10-30 for 30ml) for $25. Imagine if we bought them from chem lab vendors. And then we have the CBD vendors with their snake oil claims and pyramid marketing. It's getting predatory.

What exactly gives a strain its properties? the ratios of all the different cannabinoids, the ratios of terpenes, the ratios of flavonoids, and maybe that's it and maybe it isn't. Ideally terpene profiles alone would give some useful info, but even the honest measured profiles of different samples of (allegedly) the same strain vary a lot.

Personally I've found that going through many Leafly reviews with an eye for reports from users with some brains, and ignoring the dummies and the atypical reactions, gives me a good idea of what to expect. I'm trying to build up some knowledge as to which terpenes show up with the properties I like, but it takes time.

Some outfits like Dosist that seem to start with THC alone and then add a different terpene recipe for their various offerings, should be more repeatable. They publish at least the main terpenes.

Harborside in Oakland CA is planning to deliver a full analysis, with terpenes, for every unit they sell sometime next year. That will help build a better database. We'll get there ultimately.

Top Bottom