How do YOU conserve your bud?

Spacenstein

Anyone who medicates wants to know how to get the most out of their bud.. I thought I'd make a thread where we can post our tips and tricks that help with conserving bud. Post anything that you think would be helpful!

#

The biggest thing I do to conserve bud is... increasing temperature when vaping. Most of the time when people vape at a high temperature, they waste a lot of vapor because their lungs cannot absorb as much vapor as was produced. When you vape at a lower temperature, only the low-temp actives are vaped and your lungs have time to absorb them.. then you can increase the temperature accordingly, each hit, to create vapor.

(lol, i hope you understood this...)

-Spacenstein

Spacenstein,

djonkoman

I also begin a little bit colder(with my VG), but mostly I now only take 3 hits each time or so(instead of always vaping the whole bowl), since that gets me high too and now a bowl lasts much longer, I went straight from 4-5 bowls a day to 1-2(altough in between there first was a period I vaped more, I was sick, and after that there were 2 days I didn't vape at all, only one bowl combustion with a friend on one of these 2 days)
right now I vape a bit more again tough, mostly a bit more often and sometimes 4-5 hits but that's because I have vacation right now
and surprsingly even 3 hits at the end of the bowl when I get very little visible vapor still get me high

djonkoman,

crawdad

floatin
i use small amounts to vape and my herb is potent enough that im where i want with that. i save the bowl contents and revape it later when im low so it gets used twice, sometimes if i revape it and its not real dark yet i will combust that later through water so it gets used 3 times.

each session i repeat with the herb is of course less in potency so i have to use more of it but i can reach the same high by dosing it properly.

i have not tried edibles at all yet, my amounts are so small its been best to stick with vaping only.

crawdad,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
crawdad said:
i use small amounts to vape and my herb is potent enough that im where i want with that. i save the bowl contents and revape it later when im low so it gets used twice, sometimes if i revape it and its not real dark yet i will combust that later through water so it gets used 3 times.

each session i repeat with the herb is of course less in potency so i have to use more of it but i can reach the same high by dosing it properly.

i have not tried edibles at all yet, my amounts are so small its been best to stick with vaping only.

I was at the point you are, not having enough AVB for edibles (or so i thought)...but if you can save up 3-6g of AVB, the lighter vaped the better(I've used 4-5g heavily vaped in singles-serve edibles with great results) you can make decent firecrackers...

Purpl3_Haz3,

djonkoman

if you save it up for a while it's also easy to have more, I just made butter out of 48 grams(380 grams of cannabutter is the result) I had laying around, that's from multiple months(I got my VG in june last year, since I've had it I first had a batch of 7 grams I used in brownies, also used a bit in coffee and chocolatemilk, and this 48 grams since I've got it I produced about 70-80 grams AVB I guess, wich is 8 months so about 10 grams a month, altough that is probably lower now, with my only 3 hit per time-regime, but still if you just save it up a few months you should have a nice batch)

djonkoman,

lwien

CombustionJunction said:
Two words.... Purple Days

Damn, you beat me to it.

But the other thing that has helped me a LOT is to wait about 5 to 10 minutes between hits. Kinda gives me a chance to gauge if I'm high enough and if I really want another hit.

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I am able to conserve my herb to using only a gram a week, using my MFLB. I also store my herbs for long term storage, in a mason jar, vacuum sealed with a Pump N Seal, and kept in the refrigerator. I also have a desicant pack in the mason jar, to absorb any moisture. If I am not worried about my herbs going bad, I use less.

Vicki,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I just leave my SSV out of easy reach :p

(Kidding) I usually use my Zap when I get a strain that I really like and want to take my time with. Most all of my ABV gets saved for later use in some brownies later on. Its like a treat after my treat.

AGBeer,

Third Eye View

The key to vaping is knowing that it is nothing like smoking. We can't be treating it like we're smoking a pipe or hitting a bong. Vapor works differently than smoke.

We only have so many receptors on our brain that THC can bind to. That being said, it is best to wait maybe 10 minutes in between hits, like lwien said.

Look at it like this, one vapor hit, if potent enough, has enough THC to bind to most of your receptors, giving you the high you want. But, you have to wait for it to kick it, as vapor takes longer to hit you. But, if you take 3-4 vapor hits in a row, say within 5 minutes, you probably will end up not feeling to high. In my opinion, getting too much THC almost has a reverse effect, making you not as high as if you were to only vape 2-3 hits over 15 minutes.

We as vaporists, should be the example of how to consume and enjoy Cannabis. I think society treats cannabis too much like a "recreational drug", doing it to get "fucked up". We should be slowly enjoying our cannabis, sipping vapor much like people sip their coffee/espresso. It is better that way, in my opinion. If people treated cannabis in this way, I think the whole idea of cannabis would be a lot more positive.

Also, why vape in a rush? It is significantly less enjoyable, for me. I feel it hits you MUCH harder if you just relax and slowly hit a .1 bowl over an hour, for example.

Third Eye View,

crawdad

floatin
after 8 months im barely at 3 grams of avb, i hit almost every night but its tiny amounts. my glass vg takes about 4-5 hits and the bowl is done and each hit is small, i kind of hit it pretty quick because i can feel the effects quite strong within 5 minutes of the first toke.

crawdad,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Dang ^
8 months @ 3g's!?

I don't know how you do it ha, I have an MFLB and i'd say I go through about an 1/8th a month or so.

The way I conserve herb is RE-VAPE YOUR ABV! I normally don't blacken every trench, so my abv always still has some "kick" to it. It is more of a body high but worth it. Basically I vape a trench a couple hits, crumble, vape more, then store as ABV, then hit it later as ABV, and then put it in my AABV jar (the dark stuff) that I will later use for edibles.

<3

Elluzion,

hereatlast

Third Eye View said:
We only have so many receptors on our brain that THC can bind to. That being said, it is best to wait maybe 10 minutes in between hits, like lwien said.
Look at it like this, one vapor hit, if potent enough, has enough THC to bind to most of your receptors, giving you the high you want. But, you have to wait for it to kick it, as vapor takes longer to hit you

Can you provide a source for this information or is this more anecdotal evidence and conjecture? It might be a little fallacious to say I'm not nit-picking but I wanna preface my criticism by saying explicitly that I don't mean to offend.

I'm all for appealing to our perceptions, and I think perception alone is more than enough of a basis to assert that taking a hit and then waiting 10 minutes is good practice for some (am I high yet? :suspicious:); I personally don't always practice this methodology, its a fairly common instance that I suck a whole PD stem down as quickly as possible.

I think the question at hand is an interesting one but obviously there is no clear cut-and-dry answer. Like others, I do think in general its a good practice to continually gauge (again, appealing only to our own perception) how high we feel after every hit, this methodology isn't necessarily for me because rarely do I feel like I'm too high or have plateaued.

hereatlast,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
for me it is all about consistency and knowing your vape! every vape hits differently and once you master the technique for any vape you will be able to control and tweak the hits and high (even temp on variable vapes) to your liking and appreciate different effects if you really experiment at vaping at consistent temps.. Conserving for me is getting good consistent hits that i know are there and i dont have to breathe out vapor early or chech to make sure every hit was where i wanted it to be which is what hurts many newer vaporist imho just wanting to blow it out and see what they got. I have every vape i own/owned down to a science after extensive use and I have found the 2 vapes that I can count on hit for hit every time with complete accuracy and control are the MZ (its just too easy to use and once you know how a strain vapes after 1 test stem you can count on every other one to be the same or just get better as the material dries out) and the Supreme which has come to be my baby and with a decent loaded bowl of anything from mids to fire I feel like this thing produces consistent clouds I can control easily with the temp display of + or - 2 degrees F and completely utilize my stash and hold in every precious hit until it absorbs the goodness. Most all of us love our vapes and nomatter what make or model we all agree vaping = the shit, and every vape will get you where you need to be and can be perfected through its own learning curve its just about finding consistency with your vape for some (esp MZ WDZ PD owners) the curve is less harsh and I feel like that is why the log vape owners (me being one of them) come to love them so much is the consistent knowing of the great hit you are receiving. ABV is also crucial to save if you dont its just such a waste but last time ill say it hit consistency is the key to conservation! I realize i have been rambling for awhile as I am in the clouds with my supreme :) :peace: :2c:

Goodlife101,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i use my glass straw vape to conserve, because it requires next to nothing to provide a full blown high.

all it is is a glass serological pipette with a pinch near the wide end, i pack superfinely ground bud into it, and conductively heat it by heating the glass surrounding the bud with a lighter.

OO,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I hate to say it, but I don't conserve and have no intention of doing so. I use as much as I need to control pain and inflammation, and during cold weather I need more than in the summers. Tolerance is not currently an issue.

Drawback of course is cost, but within 2 months I expect I'll be growing my own.

Now, the above ^^^^^ is looking at MJ as a medicine (I can't take standard NSAIDS)

Tom

tdavie,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I wait as long as possible before first vape of the day, and try to use as little and as low of temps as needed at first. Dosage tends to increase throughout the day, but it only ever gets to the point where i need to completely vape a full stem to get there, with quality herb. I usually try to grind a pre-determined amount up each day (.3-.5g or so usually) and not go over that daily limit.

It's much easier to start using little like this if you take a T break first, to kinda reset things. I took a 3 day break and then got some really quality herb and was like :ko: after 2 hits. Then, if you can manage to avoid "over-indulgence", you should be able to avoid building up a massive tolerance again. Easier said than done tho :lol: especially if you have a HA sitting around too

steiner666,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Third Eye View said:
But, if you take 3-4 vapor hits in a row, say within 5 minutes, you probably will end up not feeling to high. In my opinion, getting too much THC almost has a reverse effect, making you not as high as if you were to only vape 2-3 hits over 15 minutes.

Sorry, but I don't find that to be the case at all. If I waited that long between hits, there would be no time left in the day for anything else. Obviously you have never tried BHO because you would not make that statement otherwise.

DeepFried,

vapeguy

Tricks I've found over my vaping years with a Volcano (many are applicable to different vapes too):

I put the herb on the Volcano and turn on the air pump, then hold a flashlight shining down in the herb container, I hold the vapor bag nearby until I see vapor and then attach the bag, this prevents the bag from getting the initial few seconds of hot air meaning denser vapor in the bag.

Similarly (but more for vape cleanness), I remove the the herb before turning off the air pump, this prevents vapor from going back into the vape especially if it's a bit pressurized from a well inflated balloon, this prevents resin build up inside the vape.

Again similar to above I keep inhaling for 1 second after removing the bag from my mouth, this allows the vapor in your airway to get to your lungs, it's not going to have any effect in your throat and mouth.

I start at a low temp and increase with every bag, then keep the ABV to start the next day, finish it and replace it with fresh herb.

I also mix my herb container every 1-2 bags and even sometimes in the middle of a bag.

That's all I can think of for now.

vapeguy,

GreenLeaf

I don't vape daily, I use only a minimal amount in a MFLB just coating the bottom of the trench, I have it ground up fine, and I keep my tolerance low.

GreenLeaf,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
DeepFried said:
Sorry, but I don't find that to be the case at all. If I waited that long between hits, there would be no time left in the day for anything else. Obviously you have never tried BHO because you would not make that statement otherwise.

I use both rapid hits and spaced-out hits (excuse pun) depending on the circumstances, but given the choice I'll space those hits out every time. It's one of the differences from combustion that I enjoy.

When I smoked, I normally took several rapid hits because dude, it's burning away! One of the first things I appreciated about vaporizing is that I didn't have to take the next hit until I wanted to. It brought back memories of the days when hash was all that was available where I was, and I used to cut it up into little one-hit chunks for conservation.

pakalolo,

crawdad

floatin
first time last night i spaced out my hits, by about 30 minutes...meaning i would take two hits and then wait. i was impressed with how elevated i got just from those two especially since the first hit was mostly a warm up. interesting.

crawdad,
Top Bottom