How do we feel about titanium?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Just curious to what temperature vapors tolerate titanium pieces in DIY or daily use designs.
At some point, Ti oxides become an issue.
What should an air-path titanium part temperature limit be?
Researching heat sources.
Verbose thoughts welcome.

TommyDee,

blackstone

I was recently considering heated grade 2 titanium as a heat source / air path for a possible vape project, and I had no concerns.
Considering the Flowerpot vapes and the Herborizers use Ti heaters and/or airpaths, and people seem to have less issue with those than something like ceramic.
Many other vapes have SS heater parts and the S&B ones are aluminium, so I didn't think Ti would be an issue.
I heard of Newvape flowerpots used at 666F for herb I think? If that helps!

blackstone,
Reactions: TommyDee

Baron23

Just curious to what temperature vapors tolerate titanium pieces in DIY or daily use designs.
At some point, Ti oxides become an issue.
What should an air-path titanium part temperature limit be?
Researching heat sources.
Verbose thoughts welcome.

"This metal forms a passive and protective oxide coating (leading to corrosion-resistance) when exposed to elevated temperatures in air but at room temperatures it resists tarnishing. The metal, which burns when heated in air 610 °C or higher (forming titanium dioxide) is also one of the few elements that burns in pure nitrogen gas (it burns at 800 °C and forms titanium nitride)."

https://www.berkeleypoint.com/learning/titanium.html

Like aluminium and magnesium, titanium metal and its alloys oxidize immediately upon exposure to air. Titanium readily reacts with oxygen at 1,200 °C (2,190 °F) in air, and at 610 °C (1,130 °F) in pure oxygen, forming titanium dioxide.[10] It is, however, slow to react with water and air at ambient temperatures because it forms a passive oxide coating that protects the bulk metal from further oxidation.[5] When it first forms, this protective layer is only 1–2 nm thick but continues to grow slowly; reaching a thickness of 25 nm in four years.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium#Chemical_properties

Health effects of titanium
There is no known biological role for titanium. There is a detectable amount of titanium in the human body and it has been estimated that we take in about 0.8 mg/day, but most passes through us without being adsorbed. It is not a poison metal and the human body can tolerate titanium in large dose.

Elemental titanium and titanium dioxide is of a low order of toxicity. Laboratory animals (rats) exposed to titanium dioxide via inhalation have developed small-localized areas of dark-colored dust deposits in the lungs. Excessive exposure in humans may result in slight changes in the lungs.

Effects of overexposure to titanium powder: Dust inhalation may cause tightness and pain in chest, coughing, and difficulty in breathing. Contact with skin or eyes may cause irritation. Routes of entry: Inhalation, skin contact, eye contact.

Carcinogenicity: The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has listed titanium dioxide within Group 3 (The agent is not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans.)

Read more: https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/ti.htm#ixzz629d3KP1k

Top Bottom