how do u unclog the grid in a 4 piece grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

StonedPerk

Light up the world
Can somebody help me I have a Santa cruz grinder 4 piece and I been grinding so much bud the grid that catches the bud in some spots it's totally clogged so could someone please help me it would be highly appreciated

StonedPerk,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Can somebody help me I have a Santa cruz grinder 4 piece and I been grinding so much bud the grid that catches the bud in some spots it's totally clogged so could someone please help me it would be highly appreciated
Have you tried heating it up in an oven or on a candle warmer? After opening clean with 91% or higher iso.

SSVUN~YAH,
Reactions: Roger D

farscaper

do you mean the keif screen?

if you do I prefer to clean mine out with a cotton ball and some iso alcohol. douse the cottonball in iso and wipe the screen til its clean.

if you let the cotton ball evaporate that can then be vaped as well.

arf777

No longer dogless
Though I mostly use it on glass, I have used PBW on metal to good effect.

arf777,

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below
  1. Unscrew the grinder in all 4-places
  2. (REMOVE O-ring) Submerge in ISO in tupperware
  3. Shake lightly every so-often for about an hour
  4. Take an Old toothbrush to the tough spots if you have to.
Shouldn't take took long..

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
PBW will "pickle" anodized aluminum, and I think it's tough on anything but stainless itself.

Glass, of course, it shines at. Don't use it for the grinders unless you want the finish altered.

You are probably right. All my grinders are steel or titanium, but i would not put PBW on aluminum.

weedemon

enthusiast
As a rule of thumb- if you can't remove the o-ring, don't soak.

Clean more often- just a toothbrush and alcohol- and it'll never get clogged.

that is a good point, I forgot about that. apologies.

weedemon,

thesoloman

PBW will "pickle" anodized aluminum, and I think it's tough on anything but stainless itself.

Glass, of course, it shines at. Don't use it for the grinders unless you want the finish altered.
I learned this the hard way after trying to press bubble hash in a keif press lol. I tried PBW and that little sucker was compleastly destroyed. PBW and anodization is bad.

For cleaning the hard to get gunk from a grinder i have always scraped it off with a sharp pointy piece of metal, think dental pick or knife tip.

thesoloman,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

max

Out to lunch
All my grinders are steel or titanium
Who produces steel or titanium grinders? I know Space Case has a Titanium version, but it's just an anodized coating. Aside from a zinc alloy Chromium Crusher (heavy) that pops up once in a while, they're all made of aluminum as far as I know. Aluminum is much easier to machine and costs less than stainless steel. It's by far the best choice for grinders.

you have grinders that aren't anodized? cool!
A lot of grinders aren't anodized. Most of the sliver/shiny ones aren't. Anodizing really doesn't add all that much in the plus dept., and eventually even the best anodizing will wear off where friction occurs.

arf777

No longer dogless
Used to have a space case titanium coated one but the coating came off. Some lab grinders (not actually made for herbals) are actual titanium. Got my one of those used from a lab supply place that used to be in Columbia, MD. I think it was meant for destructive bio sample prep.

Kief

Medicated
You are probably right. All my grinders are steel or titanium, but i would not put PBW on aluminum.
You do not have a Titanium grinder, I doubt we will ever see one. Here's a thread where we discussed this topic thoroughly - Is the Titanium Space Case Grinder Worth it?
Ok, I think The OP is talking about his kief screen... If that's the case, I use my MFLB brush to keep it clear. If you don't have one, any small semi-stiff paint or hobby brush will do.

If your just talking about cleaning a grinder... it's easy with ISO and a toothbrush.

arf777

No longer dogless
You do not have a Titanium grinder, I doubt we will ever see one. Here's a thread where we discussed this topic thoroughly - Is the Titanium Space Case Grinder Worth it?

Ok, I think The OP is talking about his kief screen... If that's the case, I use my MFLB brush to keep it clear. If you don't have one, any small semi-stiff paint or hobby brush will do.

If your just talking about cleaning a grinder... it's easy with ISO and a toothbrush.

I already said my space case was only titanium coated, and that the coating came off. The actual titanium piece i have is old lab equipment, not a purpose-made herbal grinder. Those are out there. Mine is an electric lab grinder that looks pretty much identical to a coffee grinder, but the blade and bowl are titanium, supposedly to prevent sample contamination (I always assumed it was just plated in titanium, but plated well). I have never seen an actual herbal grinder made of titanium. But a lot of medical and lab equipment is either made of titanium or thickly plated in it. Though i do not see or taste any difference in the quality of what comes out of the titanium lab piece and what comes out of my old mendo mulchers.

Kief

Medicated
I already said my space case was only titanium coated, and that the coating came off.
I may have read that if I wasn't typing the post you replied to when you posted it.

As I said in the thread I linked... the SC is not Titanium and it's not coated in Titanium, it's possibly AlTiN or something close to it... but we should take this discussion to that thread if we want to keep going.

arf777

No longer dogless
I may have read that if I wasn't typing the post you replied to when you posted it.

As I said in the thread I linked... the SC is not Titanium and it's not coated in Titanium, it's possibly AlTiN or something close to it... but we should take this discussion to that thread if we want to keep going.

I see no need- I agree the space case was a marketing ploy. Not surprising that the coating wasn't titanium. I don't see the need for titanium in most non-lab or non-surgical applications generally.

Wahiker

If you have a 100% aluminum grinder (no plastic or any other coating), then I prefer acetone for cleaning. Acetone is a much better solvent than ISO and evaporates completely and quickly. It is often used for cleaning chemistry equipment. I used it on my screen and it got it like new. From my research, acetone will not damage aluminum (although it will dissolve many plastics).

Last edited:

StonedPerk

Light up the world
do you mean the keif screen?

if you do I prefer to clean mine out with a cotton ball and some iso alcohol. douse the cottonball in iso and wipe the screen til its clean.

if you let the cotton ball evaporate that can then be vaped as well.
So more less I can't remove that trapped kief in between the kief catcher grid thingy so I can smoke it cause damn there's alot of kief stuck in between it makes me kick myself because I thought about a 3 piece grinder before the 4 piece so there isn't any kief catcher it just all stays together which is perfect because u always get the maximum high instead of a 4 piece taking alot of that kief away from u

StonedPerk,
Reactions: 6 to 9

farscaper

So more less I can't remove that trapped kief in between the kief catcher grid thingy so I can smoke it cause damn there's alot of kief stuck in between it makes me kick myself because I thought about a 3 piece grinder before the 4 piece so there isn't any kief catcher it just all stays together which is perfect because u always get the maximum high instead of a 4 piece taking alot of that kief away from u
just take the screen section out if its a santa cruz shredder. all the threads are interchangeable. I use one alot witout the screen. just use the bottom from the keif screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom