How do I clean my asphalt shingle roof (mold, algae)?

2 Cycle

I hear bleach works great but not 100 percent it won't wreck the shingles. My roof is pretty steep so I can't use a pump sprayer. Looks like a hose end sprayer but which product? Anyone recommend a good cleaner?

2 Cycle,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Careful with water with bleach, it does help with the moss. It will make your roof brittle over time.

My husband has been getting up on the roof with our high powered, power washer. Before he does that he sprinkles the top of the roof with a roof moss killer. After a while the moss will turn brown then he uses the power washer to wash off being careful wearing goggles and protective clothes. If your roof is in weak shape the power washer might be too much and cause leaks. Try to find moss killer that is the safest. The moss killer will be on the ground when rinsed off. Same thing with bleach and the bleach will kill flowers and grass. Along with not being so great for our pets, so take that into consideration.

Putting moss killer on your roof in the fall might help but we get so much rain it rinses off quickly. Less chemicals the better. If you can just use the force of the water it would be better.

Last edited:

2 Cycle

Thanks for the tips! I might try that wet and forget stuff. I don't want to wreck the roof with bleach

duff

Well worn
It depends if there are sharks, chickens or hot dogs on the roof.

duff,
Top Bottom