how can I tell if my Firefly is defective or if it is just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lirh

Hi - I purchased a Firefly late Dec 2014, incl. extra battery and charger. Haven't been able to get it to work except briefly once... I probably should have followed through sooner but I've been busy and its more than a little frustrating to try it without success and wait for the batteries to recharge, so I've ended up just setting it aside for months. I get that it's a really really slow draw...

I was assuming its just me but I've seen a couple mentions of Fireflys from that era being defective ...

Is a way to tell whether it's just me or if I have a defective unit? I've read (jealously) about others experiences. One of the batteries may be defective (it doesn't charge anymore - was probably recharged probably much less than 20 or 30 times. I'm not in a place where I can see if its a 770 or 750 as mentioned on another thread, but just because one battery is bad doesn't mean the unit it, although it's a little red flag. Is there something similar on the FF unit itself to check to see if it might be part of a bad batch?

Basically it seems to just get hot and toast the herbs. I used a coarse grind as recommended. I was pretty excited to get a little vape out of it once - does that mean it's just me? The unit gets really hot, almost too hot to hold. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? I have not contacted FF. I wanted to ask first before I bothered them.

lirh,

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Hard to tell if your batteries are losing it or not, because I'd think they would lose some oomph sitting there but I'm not sure.

Take the battery out and look on the back when you have time to see if its a 750 or 770. If 750, send them in and try to get 770 replacements. Just ask nicely. Since you bought in a problem era, I think they would be good about giving you better batteries.

Mine gets hot too. It also should only take like 45 minutes to charge, so if it seems to not work and then you have to charge it for a long ass time, thats probably an issue.

As far as technique to get ample production from the thing, you see the LED on the side, hold the "ignition" button (for lack of a better term) for 4 counts of it pulsing, 1 pulse, 2 pulse, 3 pulse, 4 pulse. Let go of the button.

Push the button down again, 2 pulses. Let go of the button

Hold button and draw as you normally would.

All those pulses are getting the heating element hot. And maybe this is contributing to your battery being "defective." The element never gets hot, because you draw too early, so you think the device isn't working. Not sure if that's what it is or not, I know the FF has a learning curve

HellsWindStaff,

hafalump

You probably have the 750s. I got my fly nov 2014. Three batteries are dead, two work.
So battery life is a big issue. I am waiting to get the new batts. If your unit is getting hot
sounds like it is working.

Mr. Me2

When in doubt, call their customer service. They're VERY helpful. But if you have charring, it sounds like you are over heating/cooking. Try a shorter warm up, and then draw. I had a couple defective units, and each one worked differently. The last one does overcook if I'm not careful.

Mr. Me2,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom