How can I decarboxolate hash oil?

tie

A recipe is calling for decarboxolated hash oil...I have some hash oil, but how did i decarboxolate it?

Thanks guys!

tie,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
if you already have hash oil, the probability is extremely high that it has already been decarb'd.

looney2nz,

tie

if you already have hash oil, the probability is extremely high that it has already been decarb'd.
i made some myself from this tutorial.

is this stuff considered decarbed? *EDIT* i now see that no, the video's finished product has NOT been decarbed

Last edited:
tie,
Reactions: Squiby

looney2nz

i made some myself from this tutorial.

is this stuff considered decarbed?

This is RSO (Rick Simpson's Oil), which is not quite the same approach to making hash oil as the stuff you vaporize. Outside of using an ethanol process, the RSO process is inherently dirty (the solvents like naptha, ether can be dangerous and you need to know what you're doing, you could end up with solvent and solvent byproducts in YOUR product) :( RSO is intended for use as an edible (and sometimes topical), and is not made for vaporizing or smoking.

a properly decarb'd product is typically baked in the oven @240 for 40 minutes (approx, someone else will correct me if I brain-farted) BEFORE you start using it to create an extract/concentrate.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
a properly decarb'd product is typically baked in the oven @240 for 40 minutes (approx, someone else will correct me if I brain-farted) BEFORE you start using it to create an extract/concentrate.

Thats how I do flower.

Pro Tip: don't trust your oven's temp setting, get a digital thermometer.

Others have reported using a Sous Vide Machine and there is a dedicated device now called the Nova/Lyft that can decarb with the bare minimum of effort although it's still quite new in the marketplace and 110v only. There are people who decarb concentrates in the Nova talking about their methods and experiences in that thread.

tie

interesting! i'm just now noticing that at 8:57 in the video i shared, they say that the oil can be thrown in the oven to be decarboxolated. i guess both methods (bud in oven, oil in oven) work?

RSO is intended for use as an edible (and sometimes topical), and is not made for vaporizing or smoking.
yes, i should've specified i intend to use this for edibles, not vaping.

Last edited:
tie,

looney2nz

interesting! i'm just now noticing that at 8:57 in the video i shared, they say that the oil can be thrown in the oven to be decarboxolated. i guess both methods (bud in oven, oil in oven) work?

yes, i should've specified i intend to use this for edibles, not vaping.

RSO is aimed at medical patients, if you don't need that, I'd look at one of these 'Source' ethanol extraction units. Safer too.

As for throwing bud or oil in the oven, it doesn't matter, as long as you hit those temperatures for that duration to complete the process. Simpler to decarb in the oven, food process the results and use that in butter, various kinds of nut & vegetable oils (including coconut oil) to cook with.

tie

RSO is aimed at medical patients, if you don't need that, I'd look at one of these 'Source' ethanol extraction units. Safer too.
OK, so basically all I'm trying to do is make decarboxolated hash oil. I know I'll be able to decarb some plant material and proceed from there, but I can't seem to find a tutorial for plain old hash oil! I've found recipes for THC oil, butane hash oil, and RSO, but nothing that calls itself flat out "hash oil".

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Last edited:

sickmanfraud

Is the hash oil "pure" or in a carrier (coconut, olive, etc)?

Pure hash oil can be decarbed in the oven or a hot oil bath at 240 F for 40 minutes or until the bubbles stop.

sickmanfraud,
Top Bottom