How Can I Cut A Glass Bubbler?

VapoRoor

DAB-a-DAB I'll dooooo
First of all,

I have a Vector Nitro Butane Torch(those that click the link, the torch is located under the "Collectibles" link and from there on, click "Nitro"

I'd like to heat a section of my bubbler thoroughly and make a precision cut.

how would i go about doing so? and would this even be possible?
Yes i am a newbie to glass cutting

For Reference, My Bubbler resembles this style

VapoRoor,

stroh

errl enthusiast
a butane torch aint gonna cut it(pun pun pun), you're gonna need something that burns hotter and for longer durations

what is it you are trying to cut on that bubbler?

stroh,

VapoRoor

DAB-a-DAB I'll dooooo
Hmm the duration of that torch burns for an hour, @ 2400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Well on the first chamber (closer to the mouthpiece) the downstem has cracked in half.
In my dreams, I would like to somehow replace a glass bowl w/ a downstem attatched so i can have a Single bubbler and maybe use the other chamber as an adapter for something else. (again, this is all brainstorming)

VapoRoor,
This is all empty talk: without a kiln to set your piece into afterwards, it's doomed to shatter to pieces within a brief time. Glass needs to sit at high temperatures for 12+ hours, which causes it to anneal, allowing the structure of the glass to relax and "flow" into itself over that time, rather than just immediately cooling and being shocked and frozen in a unstable position. Google it, I'm sure my version is at least a little off. You could try using some kind of diamond saw while the piece is at room temperature, but then the piece is usually hit with flame in order to smooth out those edges, and then once more allowed to rest in a kiln. I guess you could substitute that second flaming, called "flame polishing," with a series of progessively finer sandpaper grits.

My advice is to look for a new bubbler.

charliedontsurf,

VapoRoor

DAB-a-DAB I'll dooooo
Ahhhh I see now, thank you for your word of clarity Charliedontsurf.

I recently found an old bubbler of mine, and was lookin @ ways to modify it. Thanks again.

VapoRoor,

AaangelicaaA

Glass shop Owner/Designer
Glass Blower
I blow glass and may be able to help. Do you have a pic of it? There might be something you can do w/o hiring a blower to do it for you.

AaangelicaaA,

VapoRoor

DAB-a-DAB I'll dooooo
yeah there's a link on the first post under "bubbler"
My bubbler resembles the exact same style and everything.
what did you have in mind?

VapoRoor,
Top Bottom