Discontinued Hopper io

ludwig

It depends on what you're looking for isolation from, but I'm not aware of any battery powered convection portable with a true isolated airpath. It's just not the priority with portables due to size constraints.

Just if the air does not pass over any internal components such as batteries, solders, etc that could present a risk of off gassing -

Don’t know if @Hopper Labs will give us a direct response which is what I’m looking for

Baron23

Just if the air does not pass over any internal components such as batteries, solders, etc that could present a risk of off gassing -

Don’t know if @Hopper Labs will give us a direct response which is what I’m looking for
I'm not Hopper and yes, you deserve an answer from them, not me.

But, the air intake holes are where the lights shine and I'm pretty sure that goes into the oven below any electronics or battery.

Personally, I'm fine with this air path and have never tasted or smelled any electronic/electrical stuff.

Cheers

ludwig

No hot air passes over any batteries, solder or electronics. Cold room temp air does pass near the LEDs. In our opinion you computer or new car is way more of a concern if you are truly worried about room temp air and electronics.

Thank you for your response! That is a great update to hear about io- I’m now more motivated to pick one up when it comes out.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
That is a great update to hear about io

Just for clarity and to try to prevent the spread of mis-information, this is NOT an update to the io. This is exactly the same as with the original Hopper - only room temp air passes near components. There has been no mention whatsoever that the air path has changed with the io.

But I'm definitely looking forward to seeing @Hopper Labs comprehensive list of improvements to the new device, real soon :cool: nudge-nudge!

:peace:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
But I'm definitely looking forward to seeing @Hopper Labs comprehensive list of improvements to the new device, real soon :cool: nudge-nudge!
Check the main Hopper thread as I’m certain HL provided some already recently. Perhaps not comprehensive but they definitely listed some items. :peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: VegNVape

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey thanks @Vaporific, I've seen what they've posted in both threads so far but I was specifically referring to this from page 4 . . .
1. More power/instant heat-up.
2. Big efficiency improvements. These are internal, and the result is much more efficient vaporization.
3. Overall refinement/reliability changes. A more user-friendly device!

There are many more items. Maybe I can put together a comprehensive list of items for those interested.

@Hopper Labs we are VERY interested.

:peace:

Hopper Labs

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Complete list? I will try but no doubt will forget a few things. I'll update/repost if I remember more changes. Also, I have not added what each change is for or does but can do that when I have more time.

Front-end:
• New Process and Tooling for Screen Threaded Assembly.
• Internal pathway tweak for slight cooling improvement
• Better threading mesh on Screen Assembly, less waste during production

Body:
• New interface between Chamber Assembly and Body tTbe
• Added copper strip overlay into threading
• Added Laser welding to PCB support to body interface
• Switched to new machine handled PCB to PCB support solder interface

Front-PCB:
• Complete Board Re-design
• New layout for better power handling and efficiency
• Upgraded Automotive Grade CPU
• Added buck/boost regulation of LEDs for no flicker
• Total 3 LEDs now evenly spaced around the perimeter of PCB
• Increased board Copper Thickness
• Added In-system-programming and testing at the board level

Heater:
• New Generation 6 (io v1.0)
• Lowest draw resistance we have ever made (estimating 35% lower or more than originals)
• Higher power (65w) and..........70w units
• New binning process allows Ti units to get 70w heater units!
• Heater design has been extensively tested and is highly reliable
• New Vacuum chamber process
• Much proprietary stuff I can't get into

Backend:
• New battery contact with self-cleaning prongs
• Increased spring pressure on battery contact
• Backend threading now made from Brass
• Eliminated 5 interfaces of potential power loss over time
• Gold plating added to every internal power transfer surface
• Solder connection between PCB and Spring assembly
• New Gold Plated springs
• New Direct Contact PCB design
• Black plastic Overmolded into Tickmarks and on button side
• New clip cover with Indicator Tick mark also with black plastic overmold
• New Dial rotation mechanics
• Added Kapton disk
• Adjusted button click
• Changed button contact

Back-end PCB:
• Similar re-design to Front-PCB (CPU/Layout/Design)
• Replaced mechanical mounts with alternative connections
• Improved button response
• Improved pathway for charging
• Added In-system-programming and testing at the board level

Charger:
• Add components to have charger start easier/more reliably
• Changed layout for reliability
• Upgraded wire to PCB attachments
• Added full function testing at board level

Software:
• Software overhaul on all 4 microcontrollers (front, Back, Charger1/2)
• Added better power management
• Added new "heater throttling" for higher efficiency
• Support for higher power heaters
• New low power mode when the battery is low
• Faster response to dial input

Testing
• Added 14 new QC checks through the subassembly process
• Added subassembly and PCB cycle testing before final
• New complete unit cycle tester, including mechanical operation of button, Air draw, and external air temp monitoring. Outputs graphed automatically and comparted with standards. Every unit goes though.
• Charger cycle testing

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Hot. Fucking. Damn.

that list was worth the tease and wait. definitely gonna need a vid follow up!

I was also curious about 1 detail;

Higher power (65w) and..........70w units
• New binning process allows Ti units to get 70w heater units!

Does this mean all Ti units will be 70w, or specified Ti units will be 70w?

Thanks and have a great day!

MoltenTiger

Hah, 5 watts more to have isn't a bad idea, is anybody using the first two marks on the dial? I don't think so. Maybe for lavender?
More power please!
First couple of ticks are definitely good for some other herbs and aromatics.

They're also good for maximum flavour town (a fresh chambers first hit).

70W is double the Hopper OG which started at 35W I think. 2x Hoppers is something extra for sure. I'm really liking the list^ exciting times!

Vaporific

In my experience, low temp 1-2 is best for native use. Max temp is the way to go with glass =)

In another comment it was mentioned that io will have faster (instant) heat up, this is also a perk of that power upgrade, right?
Agreed - natively sans silicone tip my sweet spot (post RMA which is a full setting lower than pre RMA) is 2.8, occasionally low 3’s to finish off a load. Anything above that is just too hot for me - and I’m very much a portables person. I have some glass options but seldom used.

I’m not an engineer but I believe the power upgrade coupled with greater power efficiency and handling with the IO, the latter which I believe HL alluded to, will facilitate near instant on. I could be wrong or not articulating it precisely but I do recall something about an efficiency improvement in addition to the (obvious) increased wattage heater. :2c::peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I understanding threading will be the same (except brass for new io backend threads), but will back end and body be interchangeable from Grasshopper to Hopper io? Could an og body sport an io back end, for instance, or vice versa?

Could an io backend improve performance you get from a Hopper body? hmm....

Baron23

65 W is well good enough for me, I believe. Hell, I love my what....35 watt GH now.

But its cool that they are testing their heaters, etc this way and are able to bin higher performing individual units for those who would really want this.

Vaporific

I will be using my warranty unit lost in the fire for a deposit on one of these 70w Ti versions.
That’s a great idea! Not that I have a second unit or lost anything in the fire (sorry about yours and everyones’ losses there). Was this something HL publicly said could be done with lost fire devices? Definitely a good remediation option if you ask me. Weekend regards to all.:peace:

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
There are other type-c products planned. Something very new, but we are working on finishing up the other projects first.
Other type-c products as in new vaporizers, or new accessories?

But, I do agree with the member above....I'm fine with the form factor EXCEPT I agree that you should lose the pen pocket clip. [...] It does indeed scratch the body.

I was thinking that the ends of the pen clip that touch the body should be lightly coated in something soft, like a silicon to keep it from scratching it up. Something clear so it doesn't mess with the look of the hopper itself.

Has Hopper Labs confirmed that we'll be able to upgrade or send in older devices for the IO? The fact that some people ended up with IO internals randomly after RMAs makes me hope so, since I was waiting until their backlog was caught up to send mine in.

Baron23

MonkeyTime

Maybe try this before epoxy which may be very hard to remove if you wish to later

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-14-5-oz-Black-Plastic-Dip-11603-6/202196703

I've used this stuff for tool handles and the like....works great.

I'll second Plasti-Dip. But you'll want to make sure you have room between the clip and body before starting. This stuff won't hold well until you have a bit of a coating and you'll need some clearance. It should wear fairly well though if edges aren't scraped.

Top Bottom