hooking a desktop vape on a portable battery

VapurrDo

Would it have power for very long? I read somewhere the dabuddha uses 40w... and the portable laprop chargers can give sometimes 60 or even 100w from what ive found... i found a few with over 20000mAh power says it charges a laptop 2-3 times so i bet a desktop vape could run for a few hours on it

VapurrDo,
Reactions: Joaon

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
What vape are you trying to run?

I occasionally use 3s LiPo batteries to power household, 12v items.
I would use nothing but 5,000 mAh battery packs.

For cost, I'd recommend additional 5,000 mAh batteries for additional capacity rather than purchasing a 10,000+ mAh pack.

5,000 mAh have come down a lot in cost, but buying 20,000+ mAh lipos will cost a small fortune.

HobbyKing typically has the best deals on Lipo batteries, but you will need to solder up your own wiring and connectors. It may not hurt to put in a voltage regulator in line as well.

VapurrDo

yeah the 20000mAh power banks are almost the price of a volcano... id like to have a battery in my da buddha bag id have it plugged and just have to turn the knob to heat it up and vape on the go

you seem to be right in that 5000mAh are ten times less expensive (but the wiring is another story... id like to make a small portable kit to vape anywhere with my buddha...) I seen portable car booster packs these seem to hold a lot of power and are way less than big laptop powerbanks (but probably 10x the size)

Last edited:
VapurrDo,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
What if you used a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) for a computer as a power supply? I don't know how long they'd last. Not very portable, either, but it would allow untethered use.

macbill,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I am not sure if it would be successful but for a first try, I'd shop for:

3s 5000 LiPo
Castle Creations 10amp BEC to regulate power.
and some XT60 connectors.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: VapurrDo

VapurrDo

hopefully there will be some inexpensive AC solar panes in one decade or two right now getting equipped for some outdoor power seems to be inbetween 300 and 1000$ a minimum... 300 being a portable power bank, and around a thousand for a solar pane kit.

im not yet looking to get a portable vape but still carying a huge solar pane and a desktop vape would not count as portable... i think what i need is solar clothes, a sort of shirt or a backpack that can charge a battery. seems like the portable battery market will stabilise down because i see 300000mah solar batteries that cost 10 times less than non solar 20000mah ones

Last edited:
VapurrDo,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Intriguing, buy why not go with a portable? For less than the cost of a powerbank, you could probably get a portable that will perform as well as da buddah, and be much easier to carry.

flotntoke,
Reactions: KeroZen

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
hopefully there will be some inexpensive AC solar panes in one decade or two right now getting equipped for some outdoor power seems to be inbetween 300 and 1000$ a minimum... 300 being a portable power bank, and around a thousand for a solar pane kit.
1k for a solar panel kit?
One 100w panel should be more than enough and costs around 100$, add a solar charge controller for 20$ and a battery 40$ (if weight is not such an issue i would recommend 12V AGM batteries, but even normal car batteries work) + a dc-ac inverter (my mighty gets solar charged pretty often, the 12v dc in is perfect for that :) )
How long it runs depends on energy consumption of the vape and the efficiency of the other components - so eg 40w is the energy consumption of the vape, say the dc-ac converter has 80% efficiency, so 50w will be drawn in 12v dc from the battery (thats about 4,16 ampere). For lead batteries the rule is to only discarge max half of the capacity so a cheap 12v 20 ah battery will run for over 2 hours...
I believe there was a desktop vape who runs natively with 12v dc, but cant remember it...would be perfect efficiency wise
Btw parallel connection of batteries to increase capacity can lead to high equalization currents between the batteries without proper management...
And there will never be a solar panel that produces AC directly, it's always an inverter needed, some panels have that integrated but the benefit is questionable...

Last edited:

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
it's not that hard to calculate:
Watt hours(Wh) = Ampere hours(Ah) * Volts (V)
the stated 20.000 mAh= 20 Ah, the usual li voltage is 3.7 V
so that's 74 Wh capacity in the power bank, it will loose say 20% for the dc-ac conversion, so 60 Wh are avaiable, which should be 1,5h at 40w consumption of the vape by theory.
Wh (battery) / W (consumtion) = time (h)
But no battery likes being discarged completly, so subtract another 20% at least, so it runs maybe 1h, if the 40w are correct...

Another thingy is many heaters draw much more energy at the switching on moment, so that could blow a fuse at the power bank (hopefully just that) at the on switch - or just don't turn on

If u give some more details how u want to use it (portable everywhere, or just a cabin where is no juice) it would be easier to help

Last edited:
Used2use,
Top Bottom