Homemade Vaporizers

stinkmeaner

vapor303----Check these out! They are CERAMIC FILTERS. You can put in top section and have a real homemade Vapor Genie.
http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/5033913/ceramic_foam_filter.html
ceramic_foam_filter.jpg

stinkmeaner,

vapor303

stinkmeaner- this is true :) but i was just was working with what i had. Surprisingly enough though i haven't really had much trouble with combustion since you can see the herbal goodness as your lighting it.

vapor303,

stinkmeaner

vapor303 said:
stinkmeaner- this is true :) but i was just was working with what i had. Surprisingly enough though i haven't really had much trouble with combustion since you can see the herbal goodness as your lighting it.

Of course, no worries mate, I wasn't trying to imply that your idea wasn't real, I just wanted to show you and the board members what appears to me as the product in which Vapor Genie uses to make their Vaporizers. I gave my statement another read and it looks as if I said was belittling your idea when that was far from my intention, you know how things read different than you would say them.

Another idea would be to have a glass blower make you a Glass Pipe with a female Gong fitting and have him make a small cap w/male Gong fitting and put a Ceramic filter in it. You would then successfully produce a custom Glass Vapor Genie probably half the cost, this would allow you to have a worked pipe rather than the clear glass.

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
2clicker said:
ive got an iron en route to my place and should be here any day. ill be sure to post my results with pics.

so this is the iron i was going to use. i chose it because of its heater being ceramic and its temp controlled from 200-450deg.
17517.jpg

what a waste. i took it apart and the ceramic portion of the element is only about a half inch in length. and on top of that i had it plugged in heating up for a half an hour and it was putting out 0 heat so i assume its a dud. i should have known though buyin such a POS iron.

that brings me to this iron.
http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=70,290&PID=1178&Page=1

it fits the specs (higher wattage though), but isnt adjustable. i would have to include a dimmer dial somewhere on it... maybe inline with the cord... not sure if that will work though...?

here you can see and purchase all the different parts including just the ceramic heater itself. they also have a replacement heater on there that is already soldered onto the PCB. you could buy that and make a vape of any shape and size. anyway, here check out the parts page.
http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=70,290&PID=1178&Page=6

im going to give this hakko a go and post results when finished.

stinkmeaner

Don't Give Up! Those elements are replaceable ;) The VHW uses the same style handle but obviously a different element from the size of theirs, all you have to do is swap it out for one of same wattage. If it is not working send it back for exchange but don't give up on the adjustable type, you will need an adjustable iron to properly vaporize since most Soldering irons burn at super high temperatures of around 900 degree Fahrenheit.

Another brand you can try is the Goot adjustable soldering iron, they are made in Japan and have very high reliability right up there with Hakko, in fact they even share certain models under both brands.
http://www.goot.co.jp/e/detail.html
img_disp2.php

Just like I posted in the Herborizer thread, since your goal is to heat air, you need a heater that is designed to heat air:
GMD010.jpg
cartridge%20finned.jpg

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
stinkmeaner said:
Don't Give Up!

oh i wont

i also wont buy another iron w/out seeing the ceramic element before.

the hakko stuff looks very promising, but it will require an adjustable output mod of some sort. not sure how im gonna tackle that one yet.

2clicker,

stinkmeaner

Did you miss the Goot Soldering iron I showed you? That iron with the element in the picture will give you much better results, if you really want to make a truly great vaporizer then choose a finned cartridge heater.

The Hakko is not promising at all, not unless you get one of their soldering stations with adjustable temperature control. You could attach a dimmer/rheostat to a regular Hakko but that would only control the wattage going to the heater and would not adjust for temperature changes, like when you inhale. The Goot and the Soldering iron you bought both have an actual thermostat built in and will keep the element at a controlled temperature, so when you inhale the built in thermostat will actually know when the element is cooling and adjust the temperature accordingly. Trust me mate, I know what I am talking about.

2clicker

Observer
stinkmeaner said:
Did you miss the Goot Soldering iron I showed you? That iron with the element in the picture will give you much better results, if you really want to make a truly great vaporizer then choose a finned cartridge heater.

The Hakko is not promising at all, not unless you get one of their soldering stations with adjustable temperature control. You could attach a dimmer/rheostat to a regular Hakko but that would only control the wattage going to the heater and would not adjust for temperature changes, like when you inhale. The Goot and the Soldering iron you bought both have an actual thermostat built in and will keep the element at a controlled temperature, so when you inhale the built in thermostat will actually know when the element is cooling and adjust the temperature accordingly. Trust me mate, I know what I am talking about.

i see what your saying about the thermostat

i saw the pics of that heater, but what is the material? is it stainless? shouldnt i be looking for ceramic only?

maybe just purchase the hakko heater itself and solder it to the iron i already bought...?

thanks for the help

2clicker,

stinkmeaner

2clicker said:
stinkmeaner said:

i saw the pics of that heater, but what is the material? is it stainless? shouldnt i be looking for ceramic only?

maybe just purchase the hakko heater itself and solder it to the iron i already bought...?

thanks for the help

Yes they are stainless, which is perfectly safe, the ceramic elements are not even the ceramic people have in mind, most are made with Aluminum Oxide, Magnesium Oxide, or Barium Titanate which is sintered at high temps to form a solid. Ingredients in your ceramic element can be a mystery and since most come from China and other countries with poor quality control reputations.

Stainless is used widely in the Pharmaceutical industry, Food Packaging/Cooking, Coffee machine Heaters, Medical Implants. Truthfully I would trust stainless over many of the mystery ceramics out there, plus you can buy a finned heater that is made in the USA and you can count on them being pure stainless.

Lastly the Ceramic will not heat as well as the Finned tube. Here is an explanation I wrote in another thread:

Finned Cartridge heaters are designed for heating air, these fins would radiate heat far better while effectively heating the air at a more consistent temperature with less energy used. The smooth ceramic is not made for heating air, they are meant for heating solids and designed to be in direct contact with whatever they are heating.

The Fins create more surface area and cause turbulence in the air when you inhale drawing air over the Fins will cause turbulence in the air rather than the current flat design which has a flat heater that has nothing to stop the air from whizzing by, this means uneven air temperatures so you have to be more aware of your inhalation technique.

See how much more surface area the Fins create, every time you inhale the air will be slamming against those fins where as the smooth ceramic the air flows right by without the time to properly heat air.
cartridge%20finned.jpg

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
stinkmeaner said:
2clicker said:
stinkmeaner said:

thanks for the help

Yes they are stainless, which is perfectly safe, the ceramic elements are not even the ceramic people have in mind, most are made with Aluminum Oxide, Magnesium Oxide, or Barium Titanate which is sintered at high temps to form a solid. Ingredients in your ceramic element can be a mystery and since most come from China and other countries with poor quality control reputations.

Stainless is used widely in the Pharmaceutical industry, Food Packaging/Cooking, Coffee machine Heaters, Medical Implants. Truthfully I would trust stainless over many of the mystery ceramics out there, plus you can buy a finned heater that is made in the USA and you can count on them being pure stainless.

Lastly the Ceramic will not heat as well as the Finned tube. Here is an explanation I wrote in another thread:

Finned Cartridge heaters are designed for heating air, these fins would radiate heat far better while effectively heating the air at a more consistent temperature with less energy used. The smooth ceramic is not made for heating air, they are meant for heating solids and designed to be in direct contact with whatever they are heating.

The Fins create more surface area and cause turbulence in the air when you inhale drawing air over the Fins will cause turbulence in the air rather than the current flat design which has a flat heater that has nothing to stop the air from whizzing by, this means uneven air temperatures so you have to be more aware of your inhalation technique.

See how much more surface area the Fins create, every time you inhale the air will be slamming against those fins where as the smooth ceramic the air flows right by without the time to properly heat air.
http://www.fastheatuk.com/images/cartridge finned.jpg

i was gonna go ceramic cuz like you said they are sintered at very high temps... like 2Kdegs. this ensures that there will be no changes to it at 400deg. ceramic seems pretty safe. plus i know that if i took my DBV apart and mated it to a soldering iron handle that i would have a hand held DBV which is what im after.

as for the SS finned heaters. i understand they are made for heating air, but is the SS safe at the 400deg temp to inhale? i only ask because ive have no idea. i see no reason why not, but im not sure the temps that affect the SS.

it seems i need to do more research before i spend any more money.

2clicker,

stinkmeaner

2clicker said:
i was gonna go ceramic cuz like you said they are sintered at very high temps... like 2Kdegs. this ensures that there will be no changes to it at 400deg. ceramic seems pretty safe. plus i know that if i took my DBV apart and mated it to a soldering iron handle that i would have a hand held DBV which is what im after.

as for the SS finned heaters. i understand they are made for heating air, but is the SS safe at the 400deg temp to inhale? i only ask because ive have no idea. i see no reason why not, but im not sure the temps that affect the SS.

Stainless Steel should be SAFE if not safer than ceramic because stainless is used in the Medical Industry to Pharmaceutical Industry to Food Industry, surgical implants, and the list goes on.

Everyone says ceramic is safe because of internet gossip, internet experts read a post then repeat the information, these people are not qualified to spread this propaganda. Most vaporizer companies are not paying for medical evaluations and the heaters in vaporizers are from industrial applications liek soldering irons, shrink wrapping plastics-hot air pencils, these ceramic heating elements are not meant to be inhaled from, plus Ceramic is Porous for all we know could potentially send particles into the air when they age and degrade, who really knows because there have really been no studies.

Plus Ceramic can pretty much be anything that can be formed by heat into a solid, pretty broad term Ceramic is. Here is a partial definition from Wikipedia: Wikipedia: A ceramic is an inorganic, non-metallic solid prepared by the action of heat and subsequent cooling

You mentioned you wanted Ceramic because they are sintered at high temperature, that is just the way they form them and is not an indication of health and safety, stainless elements are formed at high temperature, they have to bring stainless steel to form it, its melting point is 2,750 degree Fahrenheit. I am using one of the same Finned Heating Elements for a project I am working on, that's why I told you to trust me on the recommendation.

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
stinkmeaner said:
2clicker said:

Stainless Steel should be SAFE if not safer than ceramic because stainless is used in the Medical Industry to Pharmaceutical Industry to Food Industry, surgical implants, and the list goes on.

Everyone says ceramic is safe because of internet gossip, internet experts read a post then repeat the information, these people are not qualified to spread this propaganda. Most vaporizer companies are not paying for medical evaluations and the heaters in vaporizers are from industrial applications liek soldering irons, shrink wrapping plastics-hot air pencils, these ceramic heating elements are not meant to be inhaled from, plus Ceramic is Porous for all we know could potentially send particles into the air when they age and degrade, who really knows because there have really been no studies.

Plus Ceramic can pretty much be anything that can be formed by heat into a solid, pretty broad term Ceramic is. Here is a partial definition from Wikipedia: Wikipedia: A ceramic is an inorganic, non-metallic solid prepared by the action of heat and subsequent cooling

You mentioned you wanted Ceramic because they are sintered at high temperature, that is just the way they form them and is not an indication of health and safety, stainless elements are formed at high temperature, they have to bring stainless steel to form it, its melting point is 2,750 degree Fahrenheit. I am using one of the same Finned Heating Elements for a project I am working on, that's why I told you to trust me on the recommendation.

copy that and good to know.

i know SS is heavily used in many industries. i sell alot of it to those industries. i was however unaware that the medical industry was using SS to heat air for inhalation.

and good point on the ceramic. can you find these finned SS cartridge heaters in different sizes? that site does not show the specs on the heater you linked to.

2clicker,

stinkmeaner

Yes I forgot to mention that you need to make sure the finned heater you pick will fit inside the glass. You would need to know the inner diameter & length of the Glass Cover and the diameter and pick a heater with appropriate length & diameter.

You know for the same amount of money you could probably have a glass blower from Etsy.com make you a custom glass cover to your specs.

stinkmeaner,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i was however unaware that the medical industry was using SS to heat air for inhalation.

well, i don't think that was what stinkm was implying ... the medical "profession" doesn't really know about heated air for inhalation (except for a nebulizer, which looked pretty plastic to me last time i used one) ... inhaling cannabis is too alternative medicine for the medical "profession", me thinks.

But, yeah, SS is pretty safe as these materials go. (better than aluminum ... hahaLOL) But really, nothing can touch borosilicate glass. (imho).

Hippie Dickie,

stinkmeaner

Good catch Hippie, you are right I was using the term loosely that "Stainless Steel" itself is used in the Medical Industry, basically implying that if it was Toxic or if it Leeched then it would not be used.

You will be able to use a much lower temperature with the Finned Cartige Heater because of its efficiency in heating the air, to reach the same air temperature with a ceramic stick element you would have to heat the element up much higher than 400 degrees. If you pick a Fin Heater with "Spiral Fins" and you put it into a tight fitting glass enclosure, you will be forcing the air through all of the fins, the air would travel like a spiral staircase. That means more surface area to heat the air, and more surface area equals stabilized heating.

stinkmeaner,

stinkmeaner

@2clicker-I also thought a little more about when you said the Soldering Iron that you bought had tiny element. Did you check to see if there was a second metal sleeve around the element? MANY soldering irons have this, see pic below.
Picture009.jpg

Then With the 2nd sleeve removed:
Picture015-2.jpg

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
stinkmeaner said:

yeah i got the heater completely exposed and it was about a half inch in length, but around the same diameter as my DBV heater.

if i had discovered a heater like the hakko in your pic has id be vaping with it right now. i can buy that specific hakko heater by itself for 15 bux.

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
stinkmeaner said:
You will be able to use a much lower temperature with the Finned Cartige Heater because of its efficiency in heating the air, to reach the same air temperature with a ceramic stick element you would have to heat the element up much higher than 400 degrees. If you pick a Fin Heater with "Spiral Fins" and you put it into a tight fitting glass enclosure, you will be forcing the air through all of the fins, the air would travel like a spiral staircase. That means more surface area to heat the air, and more surface area equals stabilized heating.

ok im convinced. now where do i find such a variety of these heaters?

i also thought about the spiral air path that could be possible with a SS heater. just not sure if finding something like that is easy... then again i havent looked. :lol:

what about heating glass? whats the best way to heat glass?

2clicker,

stinkmeaner

hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
would the spiral fins fit VHW glass cover or SSV heater cover?

The spiral fins would not be as effective if used in the VHW because the heating element is not exposed to the air, it might radiate more heat to the glass but without trying it I can not say for sure. If you look closely at the inside glass of the VHW design you will see they also use a similar system with their glass fins or ridges, but they since they are smooth they wont be as effective, instead the VHW relies more on the size and thickness of the glass that is heated.

stinkmeaner,

2clicker

Observer
so i went ahead and went through with trying a Hakko even though i am intrigued by the SS heaters, but i knew the ceramic would work. i just needed a way to control the heat so i made a little dimming unit and it works perfectly. the whole setup only cost me 80 bux. plus i can still turn it right back into a heat controllable soldering iron if i wanted. i figured i should be able to have this in my vehicle without the fear of it being illegal. just have to keep it in soldering iron form when transporting.

Hakko 456-16 iron
DBV heater cover
dimmer switch
outlet
box
cord

and i gotta say THIS THING IS WORKING AMAZING! i can totally see using it instead of my DBV. i can also get a reg bowl for my beaker and bring this right up to it... in other words no more silicone hose when using the beaker.

here is a pic:
photo2.jpg

im extremely happy about how this turned out. i also wanna add that if you just bought a soldering station you would eliminate having to build your own box/dimmer/temp dial. i built my own to keep the cost down as low as possible. if i were to do it again i would just get this unit:
http://hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49,112&PID=1250&Page=1

and that model can be found at Frys for 75 bux... then all you would need is a heater cover of your choice.

thoughts?

2clicker,
Top Bottom