Homemade Vaporizers

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i dubbed this the ghetto vape 2.0 - it's like the lightbulb vape, but we heat the lightbulb from the outside with a temperature controlled compact heat source that just happens to be already mass produced for less than ten bucks.

add one borosilicate test tube and another long glass straw to be the pipe and drawtube, use screens to hold the herb in the bottom inch or two of the long tube (no herb ever touches the inside of the test tube), place the tube into the oven for several minutes on low and test to see if the herb is giving up its vapor readily, if not then wait a bit

since the glass pipe sits in a pyrex test tube, the vapor path is closed away from any nasties out-gassing off the electronics - thus the "2.0" moniker - cute, eh? what would you call this stupid thing, curling iron vape, easy vape oven, easy bud oven,

it works incredibly well for a short session, and you have to let the herb bake on low for several minutes (not too long tho) or crank it up and play the trombone to regulate the heat - but the taste suffers past low

definitely not convection - when the herbs the right temp and the glass is the right temp (on low, then one click up, maybe two if i've got it really loaded and i'll be drawing a lot quickly)

i got the idea from takng the ceramic heating element out of my wife's curling iron to make another homemade vaporizer i found on instructibles - took me a couple of days to realize they are like little ovens inside (metal tube holds in heat no matter what they're designed todo).

picture.php

picture.php

detail shows pyrex test tube inserted into curling iron, long thin tube is open on both ends, has ss scrubbies inserted to hold herb in bottom 3"
picture.php

close up of hole - used drill then dremel grinding bit to enlargen hole:
picture.php

close up of flour paste seal (after five sessions it is failing, needs to be replaced!)
picture.php

old seal chipped out, test tube has been removed to shake out loose bits, then re-inserted - ready for new seal:
picture.php

flour and water to make seal
picture.php

make flour paste thick enough to not run down inside, but thin enough to make a good seal, it will bake into place in the first few minutes
://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=18996&pictureid=393211

newly applied flour seal
picture.php

new seal is cooking into place
picture.php

new seal all ready
picture.php

here's a link to another board where i posted a few not shown here, but nothing you need...
http://boards.cannabis.com/members/vwfringe-albums-curling-iron-vape.html

links to newer pics and vids:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=18996
http://www.youtube.com/user/VWFringe

VWFringe,

momatik

Hey guys,

Long time lurker.

I'm looking into making my own VG kind of pipe. I read in the glass VG thread that the filter is silicon carbide. It can be picked up at any Lowes or Home Depot as sand paper.

I'm thinking it'd be pretty easy to use on any waterpipe. Just cut the silicon carbide to size and cover the herb in the bowl and vape.

I'm just hesitant because I'm not sure whether or not it contains more than just silicon carbide...

Has anyone tried this before?

momatik,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i was wondering the same thing, but after finding "frits" exist - they're sintered disks used as filters in lab glassware, i was wondering whether they could be stacked and used for a homemade VG, but the cutting wheel you describe sounds interesting, maybe lookup they're safety disclosures to see if anything nasty is included in the binding (I'd guess it's not stricktly a ceramic affair).

VWFringe,

momatik

Yeah I'm looking for any information but it just seems too risky.

For one, the silicon carbide is all black, rather than grey-ish in the VG, indicating that there is more to it.

And then on one of the descriptions it states: "Resin coated to resist heat and humidity."

So who knows. I definitely plan on trying to make one of those curling iron vapes though. From the youtube videos it looks great.

momatik,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
EDIT about Temps: leaving it on lowest setting seems to neccessitate baking the herb for quite a while, but has provided me with the best flavor and good vapor density -a lot of waiting for it to reach that magic point - once it does it gives it up completely within a few long draws, and it's very clear looking down into the tube when it's given up all it's vapor. low setting on a 95w curling iron.
=================================================
i don't see the curling iron, just a gleaming white mini-oven (full of back-relief), but not everyone thinks like me, so here's a slightly different configuration...

vwfringe-114689-albums-ghetto-vape-2-0-glass-glass-up-450f-10-walmart-plus-glass-picture974018-homemade-vaporizer-curling-iron.PNG

------------------------------

Edit: here's how it is a couple days later, easier to grab, and got my temps sorted - alternating from second to lowest to middle setting, leaning more towards the lower of the two. much better experience than when i had it cranked up, but still not getting as medicated as i'd like, and am going through more herb (but to be fair i haven't read up on it like i should).

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

VWFringe,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
has anyone ever used an oven?

how would one do that? maybe bend a piece of copper tubing to route from the center of the oven over the top of the door, presenting a nipple from the front to draw off of...?

would that work? would it be convection? would it be safe?

would this be the definition of a "food grade" vaporizer? hehe

(chem 4 meds this w/e, tooo good in the vape)

VWFringe,

combusche

instead of flour and water for the seal, may i suggest heat resistant 2-ton epoxies instead. they will hold better, are more heat and water resistant, and generally is very strong. i've used these epoxies on broken bongs, makeshift bongs, etc before and they work perfectly.

combusche,

momatik

Good option, but I'm pretty sure VW is interested in only really safe nontoxic stuff.

momatik,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
VWFringe said:
has anyone ever used an oven?

how would one do that? maybe bend a piece of copper tubing to route from the center of the oven over the top of the door, presenting a nipple from the front to draw off of...?

would that work? would it be convection? would it be safe?

would this be the definition of a "food grade" vaporizer? hehe

(chem 4 meds this w/e, tooo good in the vape)
Huge waste of energy

edit - unless you are already baking something I guess

bluntfaced,

vap999

VWFringe said:
flour and water to make seal
Rather than flour paste, why not use silicone (clear, pure, food grade; cheap and available)? Silicone should both seal and provide better structural support than flour paste, including at up to say over 400?F continuous temperature (keep well under any reported high temperature limits for whatever you use). Since flour worked at all, I doubt that the seal gets that hot. Does the heating element touch the joint?

vap999,

vap999

momatik said:
Hey guys,

I'm looking into making my own VG kind of pipe. I read in the glass VG thread that the filter is silicon carbide. It can be picked up at any Lowes or Home Depot as sand paper.
I would think silicon carbide or any other non-crumbling totally inert ceramic (or glass) beads, grit or sized particles could be used as a simple heat diffuser. This would probably be much simpler than finding the right ceramic with the right porosity and other properties (like the VG), but do much the same. For example, you could put ceramic or glass beads/grit/powder/granules inside say a 3/4" diam. x 1/4" tall steel or other metal tube sealed with metal screens at each end, so you have a 1/4" bed of ceramic powder that you can place on top of your herb and pipe, and diffuse the heat of the flame. By a little playing around with the particle size, height and width of packing, and distance of your flame, you should be able to make something that works for you.

Or to do much the same, you could simply stack very fine mesh, e.g., 300-500 mesh, stainless steel screens, using these to diffuse the heat from the flame.

vap999,

pdxbmw

Here is my homemade vape. All of my friends love it and my father wants me to make him one. An elbow will be put on top of the bowl shortly. I didn't want to mess with the lines, so I didn't put in a potentiometer. I was a beautiful cocobolo mug with some heart wood in it when I found it at Goodwill. It serves it purpose so much more than a mug since I quit drinking. Funny, I just thought about it as though the upturned mug signifies the end of my relationship with alcohol.

6dd82eea.jpg

I wish I could explain how happy I am to have found this site. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I have never been this high off of the least amount of weed in my life. Actually, vaping has kinda changed the way I look at alot of things. Healthier lifestyle through not smoking and recycling more since I can use my weed in an Iolite during the day to get the low temp THC hits I now know about, the home made vape at night to get the CBN's that help me sleep, and saving the ABV to cook or make tinctures with. Then there is the nice pat on the back you give yourself for making something versus buying.

I'm rambling. I made a slight adjustment and I'm getting insane vapor clouds now, which means I am fucked up as I write this. Thanks again for this forum and for vaping in general.

Patrick

pdxbmw,

ThouShaltVape

Loves Me Some MMJ
Hhahaha, pdxbmw -- shocking to you see you here! :lol:

This mug vape is top notch -- P. you've really done this right. It hits like nothing else -- smooth, tasty and clouds galore. I can attest first hand.

Tell Betty Page I said hi :brow:

ThouShaltVape,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'd love to see a curling iron vape pic or video as well. Those things are everywhere with ceramic written right on the box :)

darkrom,

pdxbmw

ThouShaltVape,

Funny running into you here. I made a slight adjustment to the mug and wow, does it hit hard. Way bigger hits than when you where here, but I think we where adequately sedated. My finances might allow me to wander to the other side of town. :cool:

Say hello to the better half for me .

Patrick

pdxbmw,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Welcome to fc, Patrick!

Can you explain what's inside the mug? That looks really slick!

:cheers:

vtac,

pdxbmw

My heat source is a Hakko dash which has a 25W ceramic heating element. I spliced in an old school on/off switch into the cord, mounted the dash into the mug and Bob's your uncle. A good, solid vape is not that hard to make and it is fun to make your own. Simple, completely effective and it looks cooler than your standard box/whip vape, IMHO.

Patrick

pdxbmw,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
waiting for the bud toaster, but here's my latest tweaker vape (kidding)
this is the third curling iron i've raped (haha)

I'll post vid in use when i get the temp down, maybe doll it up...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I put another tube, same length, onto the end with a short segment of plastic tubing that i thermo formed to fit each tube end

works, running too hot the first go

EDIT: shorted out after i bent the thermister lead to rest on the nichrome (I didn't know it wasn't s'posed to)

VWFringe,

pdxbmw

Final mods are complete and she is a winner. Inline power/temp switch installed, fresh air holes drilled and 90 degree elbow so no kinking of the tube. I have a mark for 400 degrees at the bottom of the bowl. Proto #1 is complete.... for now.

_IGP5154.jpg

pdxbmw,

khalifafan

Hi pdxbmwm, that looks great! Anyway you could post a tutorial on how to make one? I'd totally buy one from you if you ended up selling them too.

khalifafan,
r they elbow/bowl frum eQ or V elbow lQQks better like mor airflow o well silicone tubin may b better than clear vinyl, elbow can get hot, vinyl is rated tu 180 farenheit & silicone 400 degrees

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

pdxbmw

Thanks for the comment. I do intend to sell one of a kind vapes, but I need to do more testing. I will be making one in the next week or so and once I have it planned out, I will take multiple pics.

pdxbmw,

Beezleb

I think of vape keg when I see the photo and want to use it. Very nice engineering work.

Beezleb,

2clicker

Observer
do the DIY soldering iron vapes belong in this thread? if so maybe that other thread should be merged...? just sayin

ive got an iron en route to my place and should be here any day. ill be sure to post my results with pics.

2clicker,

vapor303

I found that this $1 metal cone I have can turn my bong into a vaporizer

I just pushed a dime sized screen a little ways down the stem

Only takes a thumbnail of bud, then I use a lighter held about 1cm away, same style as a vaporgenie or vaporstar

vapor303,
Top Bottom