Discontinued HomeGrownLogs

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
Wow, you've been vaping for 14 years already and this is your first log vaporizer? That's amazing man, enjoy it!

Ye man its crazy never even tried one .. tbf i had a hiatus for a few years and started vaping again around 2010. There were no log makers over in the eu until now. (Well wychwood but they off the scene now) .. the shipping and import taxes always turned me off.

This thing is awesome had a chance to try a few bowls .. fucking great. Just gotta watch that backdraft from the water pressure if using a bong. (Need one of those claisen thingys)

Better go and test these other stems .. tfi friday!

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I had @Ruta round yesterday for a quick catch up on various stuff and whilst running a few bowls we both agreed that cables can be a pain.
I told Ruta that it was a subject that @RastaVapa and myself had spoken about in the past and RV said he had an idea a while back and mulled it over but never had the time to pursue it.
So I did. 0.03g at 12.4v.
There is still a more work and a lot of testing to make sure it will cope with any vaping situation.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I had @Ruta round yesterday for a quick catch up on various stuff and whilst running a few bowls we both agreed that cables can be a pain.
I told Ruta that it was a subject that @RastaVapa and myself had spoken about in the past and RV said he had an idea a while back and mulled it over but never had the time to pursue it.
So I did. 0.03g at 12.4v.
There is still a more work and a lot of testing to make sure it will cope with any vaping situation.

Early days I know, but I'm in :rockon:
A cordless log?
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
Is it a 'heatsoak' approach you're taking?

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Cheers @HD Springer got plenty of bowls to run at various voltages and thru some glass but so far it's done okay. Comfortably coping with 0.03g with enough heat to do a second 'is it done' hit. Which it was.

@Copacetic yes at the moment but RV and myself spoke about another option which we are hoping will guarantee you will not be able to overwhelm it.
It is early days and @RastaVapa is the electronics man and once he's got the info and we get some dimensions we'll see.

@Ruta being round yesterday spurred me on. I took the stuff out the draw and thought WhyTF not.

It's great, I never finished the cables neatly before as I kept swapping stuff out, but even with the thin wire of the PSU RV sent out it was still, for me, a bit annoying. I have pulled the plug out a couple of times and bought some screw together jack's, but so far so good and the ambient is low outside tonight.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
It sure as hell looks good so far!
I have a lovely piece of Golden Amboyna Burl from Snappo that I planned to make myself a vape from, but now I'm thinking that I need to re-assign it to a new Homegrown cordless log future!

I lurk log threads like a poor kid at a toy-shop window.
I love the look of many of the logs I see, but for some reason I cant stand the ball and chain of the cable :shrug:
I asked in another thread some time ago whether a freshly unplugged log is able to sustain enough heat to get a reasonable hit or two, but prevailing opinion (at least in the replies I got) was that it would not be possible, so I'm delighted to see you guys not only concieving one, but you made it work @phattpiggie! 
:clap::rockon:
And I also love that particular shape of log too.

Damn but this is exciting :party::science:

Go Piggy Go!

little maggie

Glad its all turned up ok, I have been experimenting with different vvps systems from step up and downs ,buck converters and pwm ,I am trying to find a cost effective but efficient controller that I can send out with every log so people can dial there perfect temperature .

Got another two types of pcb arriving today so will let everyone know how it goes ,be more pics soon from the next batch of logs plus another goes out in the next day or two.

Had two enails turn up yesterday and after a good few test dabs thanks man good deal.........
I sent you a pm because I think I got left off your list since I was ready to order in July. I'd like to know if the WPS systems work in the US?

Gray Area

I sent you a pm because I think I got left off your list since I was ready to order in July. I'd like to know if the WPS systems work in the US?

I think the orders from mid-end May are being fulfilled now. My order was made 22nd May and I'm still waiting to receive it.

No rush, I'm good to wait whenever, but I think you're worrying for no reason :tup:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Copacetic to be fair I've not really done anything other than change the way the log gets it's power.
I put the female end in a wooden plug in the logs base, rather than a side entry, and then set the male end on another piece of wood with the VVPS sat to one side. There is still a cable from the PSU, a 19v laptop supply in my case, and I've just done away with the cable from the VVPS to the log.
Please excuse the rough finish on everything as this was done just to prove a point.
CvFMfBIm.jpg
u6D5rqxm.jpg

As you can see in the video there is enough heat in the internals to get a nice big hit. I will be getting some more testing done over the next few days. I've got to try and be analytical about it all which after a couple of bowls can be difficult.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
So maybe a shit load of high density, high performance insulation around the heater, and less log, would lead to improved heat retention and better hits....???

I'm really liking this idea, I can already envisage some beautiful docking station options...

RastaVapa

HomeGrownLogs UK log maker
Manufacturer
I'm loving the cordless log idea. Maybe something like a capacitor in the log to keep the heater going during the time it's unplugged?

Looked into that just cant seem to find a large value cap at the right voltage that is not as big as the log itself, but I like your thinking keep them coming...

I have some log kits here ready to go for people I am just waiting on my order of pwm controllers to turn up and some more glass and the next lot will be sent out.

Had some cocobolo turn up very striking orange,brown and black will get some pics up very soon,also some chacate preto which is very dense like blackwood but with more going on in the grain,also some English walnut and more two tone yew.

I am also going to move my very little workshop to a much bigger one in an outhouse/shed so I can get alot more work done and have some better tools and machinery so my son can start setting up his glass studio in my old workshop ,good things happening for the future I can see ....

Drexciya

Homage to the Deepsea Dwellers
Sounds great man. Really looking forward to seeing some more pics. After a week long break from vaping I'm hitting the HGL a lot the last few days.

I also finally got a replacement extension cord in place. Makes live a lot easier in multiple ways.

Last edited:

macca924

Hi I sent a private message with choice of wood.plus asking wait times etc.bot had a reply for a few weeks ?

macca924,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Trully sorry to not posted any pic but my phone doesn't make justice to the amazing work of RastaVapa!

I'm not anymore thinking it is too hot, playing with distances and load size I'm able to mimic all the temperature spectre I need.

Is other owner thinking his /her log is very hot to touch (especially while unusued since +40mn) or maybe is it the blackwood soaking heat more than others woods?

It is so good I'm thinking to let to go my E-Nano for another home!

Drexciya

Homage to the Deepsea Dwellers
Well, yes and no. Some people think it gets pretty hot to the touch. I don't really think it is that hot and my girlfriend thinks it is really nice and warm and likes to hold it as a handwarmer.

It also really depends on where you hold it. I think only the middle gets hot(ish).

boon

My mini yew is on 24/24 and it's not too hot for me with an extension cord . I can hold it as an handwarmer. As PPN i think to let my bamboo Hi go to an other home since i've my HGL. I really love the metal lip wish supports the stem. I it's really easy to choose/reproduce a temp

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Diggy Smalls I'm still running mine 'as is' and it's been fine so far, I am not sure if the TT has enough thermal mass to be able to get it to work well enough. Worth you trying a couple of unplugged bowls, in the name of science.
I know @RastaVapa has been testing his out and there is still some work needed to ensure it copes with all vaping styles.

@macca924 he's been busy for a while now but I'm sure he will, if he hasn't already, be in touch.

@PPN the blackwood is very dense and will hold and retain heat. I noticed the Lidded Sapele one felt hotter than the Sumac I use now, but I'm with @Drexciya and don't feel it's uncomfortable to hold.
Perhaps try holding it nearer the base?

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
@Diggy Smalls I'm still running mine 'as is' and it's been fine so far, I am not sure if the TT has enough thermal mass to be able to get it to work well enough. Worth you trying a couple of unplugged bowls, in the name of science.

I have to use a dimmer with it cause it really cranks out heat. I've been experimenting with leaving it turned full blast then unplug it to take a hit and it certainly works... Think I might try modding my base. :)

Top Bottom