Home Vaporizer advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Mario

Hi, Im new to vaping (got the original iolite as a gift a couple months ago) and new to the forums as well... I like the iolite (enough to consider switching from mostly smoking to mostly vaping) but I'm interested in getting a home vaporizer that's more or at least equally efficient (ie uses little quantity) while delivering somewhat milky, thick hits. I want to consume approx. 0.5 a day between 2 people, with 3+ sessions each day. Low maintenance and durable would be nice too. I've heard great things about the Purple Days for efficiency, but that's no longer sold I guess.
I've been looking at the Extreme Q, the Pax, the SSV and Da Buddha. The Extreme Q is attractive mostly because it's got a lot of bells and whistles, it's often compared to the Volcano in quality; and it has temperature control so theoretically you could day vape at a low temp then revape the same material that night at a higher temp (right)? That seems pretty efficient.
I like the Pax mostly because its got a rechargeable internal battery (no replacement fuel etc necessary), I've seen it produce milky hits in youtube videos, and its portable. But that last trait kinda makes my iolite obsolete. And that's not my goal. I like my iolite for it's quality and portability. If the Pax exceeds in that category fine, but my priorities remain efficiency and thick hits, and maintenance/durability. I've heard bad rumors about the Pax's mouthpiece getting jammed etc, and I don't want to spend a lot of $ on something that needs frequent and sometimes difficult maintenance or repair (or hard to get parts, forget any send-in warranty lol).
The SSV is attractive because it's supposedly the best whip vape for thick hits supposedly(?) Not sure how it does with efficiency and consumption though. Da Buddha I've heard is very much like the SSV, only cheaper. Again not sure on efficiency and consumption.

Ok any thoughts out there? I tried to explain my needs/goals with this vape as well as I could, but will answer any questions of course. Or recs on other vapes?

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Dr Mario,

JCat

Accessory Maker
You might want to consider a Solo for your needs ... sounds like it might be a perfect fit for you.

(I could offer many detailed reasons why ... but based on your quantity per day, desire for thick hits, efficiency, etc., seems like a pretty solid pick)

I've owned a lot of vapes ... and if you want a stationary log vape for at home you may want to look at the eNano for efficiency ... a lot of the stationary vapes you mention will easily go through more than your desired 0.5/day with 3 sessions for 2 people. You may be much better off with something designed for a smaller load such as a log vape (ie. eNano) or the Solo if you want added portability.

Good luck!

JCat,

Hoof Hearted

Vapesallday Industries
I'm new to vaping too. I can confirm that one the vapes you're considering is good for beginners and that's Da Buddha. Since I joined FC I've learned that there are some other really cool vapes out there though, like log vapes and the Cloud. I was just unaware that those types of vapes even existed but I heard a lot about the DBV and the other 3 vapes you're considering. So if you're anything like me make sure you do a lot of research first. You'll be happy with Da Buddha, but you might want something different very soon.

Hoof Hearted,

goatgobaahh

I have an EQ and I wish I got a SSV. I found that EQ's are mediocre at both the bag and the whip. Its better to just pick one and go with it.

goatgobaahh,

Meghan

The Underdog log vape produces thick, milky hits with the smallest amounts imaginable. I absolutely love mine. There's no cleaning or maintenance involved, really. You can leave it plugged in and on 24/7 and it doubles as an aromatherapy device. It's about as simple as vaping can get, and incredible for efficiency. It's the same style as the Purple Days, basically. And Dave, who makes them, provides excellent customer service.

I wouldn't recommend the Pax for your needs, although it's a great portable that definitely delivers. It's just not at all good for conservation. You pretty much need to load .25 grams per session, as the largish oven must be filled to get good results.

I haven't had the pleasure of using a SSV or DBV, but I've heard great things about both. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

Meghan,
Reactions: ShipDit

Dr Mario

Thank you all for your quick replies. I'm now checking out the Solo and the SSV. This vape will be a "gift" from my wife so the fact that you can customize it is cool :p

Question on the SSV: does the temperature control (once figured out) lend well to splitting up herb into day and night smoke (ie pinpointing release of certain compounds)? Or is it really just a guess and not very accurate at all? Conversely, how about the Solo? It has 7 temp settings, so if I vapes on 4-5 I could vape the same material later on 7, right?

Dr Mario,

Meghan

I also have a Solo, which I love. It and the UD are my daily drivers.

I usually vape my flowers on 5 or 6 with my Solo, as I prefer visible, thicker vapor. Honestly, even the 6 setting gets the herb pretty dark for me. I value efficiency but am in a position at the moment where I'm not milking my stems for all they're worth, so I often start and finish on 6. I suppose you could vape on 4 or 5 (I've never tried 4) and then bump it up later to 7, but I'm not sure your second session will be terribly pleasant-tasting (especially if you start at 5). Others may have more experience with doing this...I tend to try to finish a stem in a single session if possible, as it's never as good when you go back to it. If I only want a little, I load less. YMMV.

Meghan,

Dr Mario

I'm definitely leaning towards the Solo now. I'm picturing myself lying in bed (like I do now with my Iolite), watching some TV and vaping, and the SSV doesn't seem as conducive to that. It seems like I'll need to be sitting at a table where it can lay flat, or balancing the unit precariously in my lap while I'm fiddling with the hose (am I correct in this foresight?). With the Solo it's seems a big enough unit to enter the powerhouse arena without being so small that I'd ideally choose it to throw in my pocket to go somewhere (especially with glass attachments), so my Iolite will still serve it's function in that regard.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I'll check back for additional input for the near future as well. :)

Plus my Iolite supposedly maintains 190 C which is only setting 3 on the Solo

Mod note: When possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. Posts merged.

Dr Mario,

clouded vision

If you are really looking for a home unit & don't want to replace your portable you could also check out the Life Saber Vaporizer. I have been using a solo for a few months now & just picked up an LSV about a week ago (after a brief stint with an HA that worked great but just didn't give me the clouds I was looking for from a home unit) & it is the perfect compliment to my solo. The LSV is basically the same thing as the DBV & SSV without any tubing. Adding a shorty transfer wand will allow you to use it in bed as you described. The LSV would be a little difficult to dial in a specific temperature but you have the IO for daytime then the LSV for nighttime. Also, you would easily be able to reload your ABV from your IO & get several huge hits out of it. A lot of people say that the DBV & SSV (haven't heard that about the LSV but as they are all essentially the same thing it would reason people feel the same about the LSV) aren't the most efficient but I have been using a solo stem to measure out my LSV loads & my friends & I all swear that the LSV gets us higher than the solo does.

I'm not knocking the solo & I absolutely love mine & always recommend it for anyone looking for a portable but you already have a portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom