High THC Shake?

acolyte

One dispensary near me has started offering shake for sale. For those who don't know, shake is the little crumbs, trichomes, and whatnot at the bottom of a big bag of cannabis after the big buds have been consumed. It's NOT trim, although sometimes there may be some sugar leaves mixed in.

Usually it's low quality, but I guess it can have lots of trichomes down there, and since we're vaping we don't get the extra plant matter.

Anyways, they're offering shake at $75/ounce between 21% and 28.8% :o THC. From strains like green crack, northern lights, etc.

This same dispensary always offers several $89 outdoor ounces which aren't super well trimmed and generally around 12-17% THC, but I have scored sometimes up to 21% :tup:

They also always have several indoor strains, from 20-28% for $162.

Anyways, their normal herb is about the best price I can get in the area for (legal) cannabis of equivalent quality. Wondering if anyone has experience with vaping good quality shake like this? If I don't get any replies I'll probably pick some up in the next few days and report back. Then again, I may do so anyways :rofl:

JCat

Accessory Maker
I doubt it's the thc percentages they are advertising though. Those are likely the percentages off the flowers they come from. Not all parts of the plant are equivalent THC.

The licensed producer I go through here in Canada also sells similar shake but it is measured separately and THC percentages are maybe 50-60% of their corresponding flowers.

If the shake is >20% that would imply to me the buds would likely have been >35%!!! 28.8 would have to have buds >40%!! I'd like some of those! Might be a world record!

JCat,
Reactions: acolyte

herbivore21

One dispensary near me has started offering shake for sale. For those who don't know, shake is the little crumbs, trichomes, and whatnot at the bottom of a big bag of cannabis after the big buds have been consumed. It's NOT trim, although sometimes there may be some sugar leaves mixed in.

Usually it's low quality, but I guess it can have lots of trichomes down there, and since we're vaping we don't get the extra plant matter.

Anyways, they're offering shake at $75/ounce between 21% and 28.8% :o THC. From strains like green crack, northern lights, etc.

This same dispensary always offers several $89 outdoor ounces which aren't super well trimmed and generally around 12-17% THC, but I have scored sometimes up to 21% :tup:

They also always have several indoor strains, from 20-28% for $162.

Anyways, their normal herb is about the best price I can get in the area for (legal) cannabis of equivalent quality. Wondering if anyone has experience with vaping good quality shake like this? If I don't get any replies I'll probably pick some up in the next few days and report back. Then again, I may do so anyways :rofl:
Buy the shake, run it into bubble hash. You will get beautiful full melt if you do it right. Ask me if you need help in processing bubble. IMO turn that trash into treasure rather than vaping on the shake ;)

The THC %'s to me are believable with shake from good resinous nugs.

herbivore21,
Reactions: E0x

acolyte

I doubt it's the thc percentages they are advertising though. Those are likely the percentages off the flowers they come from. Not all parts of the plant are equivalent THC.

The licensed producer I go through here in Canada also sells similar shake but it is measured separately and THC percentages are maybe 50-60% of their corresponding flowers.

If the shake is >20% that would imply to me the buds would likely have been >35%!!! 28.8 would have to have buds >40%!! I'd like some of those! Might be a world record!
Interesting, I did wonder about this.

One odd thing I've noticed at many dispensaries is that their pre-rolled joints tend to have a higher THC content than their bulk flower. Like, if the averagish flower is 18% then the averagish joint tends to be 21%.

At first I found this very odd, but some people have said it's because they use shake which has higher THC due to falling crystals.

Right now at the dispensary, they also have the same indoor strains from the same farm available. To reverse the trend that I just stated above, the flower equivalents all have 2-3% higher THC than the shake.

Last edited:
acolyte,

acolyte

@herbivore21 I just did some searching and saw you mentioned bubbleman so I'll check that and some other resources out. I actually have a silver surfer which can vape full melt, but can probably vape anything in between as well.

So I wonder if you might recommend a simpler process that would work almost as well? I have a very small apartment (I don't even have a traditional bed). Perhaps just getting a nice set of kief screens and vaping the results? Do you have a recommended screen size?

TY! :bowdown:

acolyte,
Reactions: E0x

herbivore21

Interesting, I did wonder about this.

One odd thing I've noticed at many dispensaries is that their pre-rolled joints tend to have a higher THC content than their bulk flower. Like, if the averagish flower is 18% then the averagish joint tends to be 21%.

At first I found this very odd, but some people have said it's because they use shake which has higher THC due to falling crystals.

Right now at the dispensary, they also have the same indoor strains from the same farm available. To reverse the trend that I just stated above, the flower equivalents all have 2-3% higher THC than the shake.
Shake can have more resin than the original flower in some cases. When I am breaking flowers up for bubble processing, I will regularly find that the shake that accumulates below has a 3-4 star melt. Shake from lower quality flower that has been overly dried and handled in a rough way will contain more plant material and less resin. You could easily have shake that contains higher THC %'s than the original flower, but by the same token, you could also find shake that has less.

@herbivore21 I just did some searching and saw you mentioned bubbleman so I'll check that and some other resources out. I actually have a silver surfer which can vape full melt, but can probably vape anything in between as well.
Whilst I do recommend bubbleman's bags and machine, I do not recommend his technique for extracting. Watch Frenchy Cannoli's videos for that and feel free to PM me with any further questions on processing.

You're right that your SSV can vape full melt and anything in-between, this will work well.
So I wonder if you might recommend a simpler process that would work almost as well? I have a very small apartment (I don't even have a traditional bed). Perhaps just getting a nice set of kief screens and vaping the results? Do you have a recommended screen size?
Bubble hash can be made successfully in even the smallest of studio apartments. I have heard of plenty of people who have had success using bags and a machine in this situation.

There is not a simpler process that will work almost as well as a proper bubble run. Manual agitation of your material in a bubble run without a machine is very inconsistent and it is far too easy to over-agitate and not get any full melt at all. Machines are crucial for consistent and high quality results IME. The bags are also required.

Dry sifting takes a lot longer than bubble washing and the screens need to be much larger than the bags used for bubble, or it will take much longer still. A kief screen/kief box is typically far too small in surface area to allow timely dry sift processing. The water in bubble hash greatly assists in facilitating separation and when we are talking about shake, you need to understand that there is likely to be small pieces of plant material in your shake already. This might get through dry sift screens, but such plant material will float in your water if you do a bubble run while the resin sinks, allowing for increased separation.

herbivore21,
Top Bottom