• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Leaving this here, yet again.

Of both Hex units I've used, 01 and 02, the only "stable" temps I get are from the 02 SIC Halo setup when using a SIC Halo (and even this I'm just about calling shenanigans on because the SIC Halo on ANY other controller I have is much more responsive to temp changes), ANYTHING else results in +-20 variations CONSTANTLY, and has been this way since day 1 on both SKynet and Red Queen units.

Also on both units my temp display/interface has ALWAYS been at LEAST 8 seconds delayed with a normal delay of 11-12 seconds, regardless of nail setup, regardless of wifi, regardless of device used to interface....this includes the built in screen of the 01 which proves the delay is NOT wifi/signal dependent. Ive pointed this out when people have broken out their contact K types as an explanation of why temps NEVER seem to match up quite right with the Hexs.

Ive pointed this out before and asked if anyone has gotten actual "real time" interaction with your units BEYOND simply turning the coil off or on......and still have yet to see a reply.

Not trying to put words in anyones mouth but the reason why the 01 is way more than an 02 is its a MUCH "harder" build, the 02 is lean and optimized where as the 01 is designed well and works but if far from "ideal"and from the internals is an obvious "gen 1" product..... looking at the guts of both leads me to believe the build on the 01 is much much more labor intensive and requires much more wood, wood that also needs to be structurally stable and hold the whole unit together, not just a visually clean plank on top of a premade case. I also suspect keeping warranty coverage for the touchscreens (hex stocking replacements) would be rather costly at this point of their business.

Also as an aside my Queen is down yet again, was working "fine", then with no changes whatsoever to my network, wifi, app or controller, decided to go back to not connecting to the device via dashboard, can't login anymore on the app, nor will the app interface with the controller at all (temps, coil off on) My unit still flashes blue and "connects" to the wifi but is useless beyond whatever the last set temp was. Im fully over getting "tech support" that isn't tech support at all, more of guesses and hopes as to why things are the way they are or the classic "its because XYZ" when I can CLEARLY prove it has nothing to do with XYZ....., Im gonna sit here and continue to wait for the oft promised magic software fix that will bring the units to their advertised function/performance levels (that is to say working at all) Everyone that comes over and see my Hex units and asked about them (and everyone does) will get full honest dose of "this is exactly why you do NOT want to buy this product" from me as I dab off my Kube with zero issues all day every day, I can't support a product that can't be bothered to fix long standing, known and open issues......while releasing new products with even more, known and outstanding issues.

Gn0sis

@Gn0sis, what nail are you using? On my Liger I had big temp swings like that on the Liger settings. I switched to no nail and my temps stabilized. I use the Eternal Quartz tuning for the 25 quartz banger with stable temps.

I would love some detailed explanations of each of the tuning settings, then I would take a shot at my own Liger tunings!!!

@Gn0sis Let us know what coil and nail you're using, and what you have set in the equipment tab

I'm running the setup that's in my signature...

I've tried "no nail" and "liger 30mm sapphire flat coil" in the equipment tab

with "no nail" the temp swings are smaller, but still not the +/- 1 or 2 degrees that's normal on any other PID

feeling very dissapointed with this thing to be honest .... :ugh:

not to mention my Red Queen arrived with cosmetic defects that shouldn't have passed their visual inspection before shipping

Gn0sis,
Reactions: JCat

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
...anyone order coils lately? just wondering if they have stock on coils at the moment or if it's going to be a long drawn out wait?
There is a wait but the coils have been paid for and should be on the way this week.

I think I updated with current lead times on the site a few days ago.

Hey @HexNailAva ,

just looked at your site and saw that the Skynet is currently $600! Why does it cost twice as much than the Red Queen? Sorry, I don't know but all I can see as a layman in comparison is a bit more wood and a simple touch screen? Does that need an addition of $300? Ok, it's customized regarding the used wood but I've to pay extra costs depending on chosen kind of wood.

Another point. Don't get me wrong but allow me a friendly and really well-meaning advice. It doesn't look serious when you are offering the Red Queen for a discounted price of $150 and you'll see later in the description that the 150 is just a deposit such as high. It's irritating and frustrating for potential customers while reading that.

Point 1

As for cost re: RQ v. Skynet

Skynet units are all wood. This doesn't mean that they are flat pieces of wood are merely glued together. We use an internal hidden joints when we mill the enclosures that we seal with a high-temp, oil based wood glue most of the time. They are done as 6 separate pieces, hand clamped, then finished as one piece, by hand after that. They require a TON more mill work and often larger shipping costs at just about every step.

Almost all the boxes are done out of a single piece of stock. If something goes wrong it's in the trash. We can get over 6 RQ tops out of what it takes to do 1 Skynet unit. You'd also most likely be surprised how much some of the more Exotic woods we've used are compared to our base woods. Talking up to 4x materials costs on the wood alone for the right piece. We're also talking 10x (at least) work time wise between the 2 models, too.

Touchscreen's aren't cheap. Stocking them, replacing them every now and then, not to mention the shear time it takes to do a screen or board transfer on these because we've packed things in the box pretty tightly.

re: Pricing.

One is considered a Custom Order at this point. It is what it is. They're made to order and incredibly labor intensive.

One the other part of this...I've had complaints from plenty of people and also talked about it before.

The only way our host allows you to display multi-payments for us at the moment is when it's marked as a SALE. We can't do anything about it. We specifically put '50% Down' in the Product Name to be as transparent as possible as to the way it actually works.

------

I'm about to head to the doctor and Liz might need to go to the dentist is things gets worse but when we get back there will be a blog post getting finished tonight with more updates.

EDIT:

with "no nail" the temp swings are smaller, but still not the +/- 1 or 2 degrees that's normal on any other PID

not to mention my Red Queen arrived with cosmetic defects that shouldn't have passed their visual inspection before shipping

Please touch base with me again so we can get everything worked out via your preferred method on communique. Sorry you've been frustrated we'll see if you can get you up and running.

JigMelon

Then you definitely need to adjust the settings or wait on the update with a preset for that coil. As of now, there is no official preset for the AH coil.

JigMelon,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.

I've been running the 30mm Liger with custom AugustHaus coil using the "30mm Flat Standard Heavy" for many moons now with great success.

I typically run @590* .
The resting temperature of the coil is rock solid and drops about 6* by the end of a dab; using either Obsidian or Sapphire inserts.

Give it a shot, I think you'll be pleased.

:peace:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Many thanks @HexNailAva for your detailed explanation :tup:

It's a pitty with your provider. Would try to change that asap.

Hope you girls are getting better soon!

Hogni,

Heatmiser

Let’s try this again...

Good day, folks! I have been having some recurring issues recently with my hex-nail.

After using this thing successfully for over a month, now I am having connectivity issues. Even when the indicator light is the proper steady blue, my interface/controller no longer controls anything, nor can I make any changes to it. The indicator light also increasingly goes to the flashing green mode for no apparent reason. Although I cannot control or make any changes the nail is still heating too I suppose the last set temperature I was working with... but again, even when the connection is established and the light ring is a solid blue, the interface seems locked up.

Additionally, I know I saw a post or two from the gals specificallydiscussing settings for quartz nails and I see none of that under equipment options. What’s the lowdown?

SilentJ

As I’ve been keeping up with this thread I have noticed that DabOS/2 has been delayed quite a bit, due to as I understand it only being one developer. I’m curious; and apologize I if this has been brought up before, but I wonder if the idea of making it open source has ever been brought up. I noticed there’s a GitHub repo linked from the site but no actual code has been pushed to it. I know it can be a touchy subject due to IP rights and licensing but I think it’s something that the team might want to consider. I bet there’s a few people that’d be willing to contribute and help improve the project.

Last edited:

Justpassedu

HN-01 users will your nail get to lets say 980F ? bc last night I had tried and it stopped at around 939F and would not go any higher . Wondering if its a problem with my unit possibly .

Justpassedu,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
HN-01 users will your nail get to lets say 980F ? bc last night I had tried and it stopped at around 939F and would not go any higher . Wondering if its a problem with my unit possibly .

I haven't done a cleaning cycle since I've started to use distilled water to clean inserts at room temperature.
But, when I was I would set it to 1000* and it would be in the 900*s.
Same with my Auber RDK-200; I think it's just hard for a coil to maintain (or even attain) that high of temp.

:2c:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
So is there an update or something that would take care of this? I tried to quote my previous post for reference and that didn’t even show!

I can’t use any of the features of this set up with the controller locked up like this. No glob. No uptemp. I can’t even change the temperature of my unit while is like this, or simply turn the heater off and on. What is the most direct route for technical assistance on the HN-02, because I don’t seem to be getting anywhere with this here, and this is getting very frustrating? HELP!!!

I stated I'm in the exact same boat as you are, sorry if I didn't reply specifically to you, but again, I've been waiting resolution on connectivity and control ever since Ive received the unit and despite a few stints of working correctly, my unit current is exactly like yours. I agree its frustrating but don't freak out like youre alone.

ensabbahnur,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
I stated I'm in the exact same boat as you are, sorry if I didn't reply specifically to you, but again, I've been waiting resolution on connectivity and control ever since Ive received the unit and despite a few stints of working correctly, my unit current is exactly like yours. I agree its frustrating but don't freak out like youre alone.

The biggest thing we can suggest right now (and can help people do if need be) is changing the channel your Hex-Nail is on when it comes to your network. A less busy channel goes a long way in a house with phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

Liz is working on some hot fixes now since Dab OS/2 for Skynet has taken so long to finish and will try to get some of those out over the weekend.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
At least us original Skynet owners and supporters can watch the video of it in action................
Fear not. These Hot Fixes will be in the Dab OS/2 update upon release and they've actually helped Liz patch some of the networking issues that have been delaying the Skynet release.

Every step forward is good and this will be a more like a skip instead of a step in the process.

We're putting together a change log right now and we'll be putting it on the blog once everything is finalized this weekend. One of the biggest things is the 'Proportional Dampening' (For Reference Tracking) feature. We think this is finally going to flatline all of our Liger tunings and finally fix the fluctuations folks have been experiencing.

Coming to the Skynet as soon as possible. We're excited to get feedback on this one.

EDIT: A lot of the fixes coming in this quick patch are networking fixes. There were a few big bugs we ran into after people used the Red Queens with enough different routers for us to...realize it was a problem (we tried 3 here because that's all we have). Connections will be better, more solid, and easier to make.

EDIT 2: For anyone that missed the latest blog post just a quick update. We're closing Round 3 on June 1st and going into full production until all open orders are filled once again. Delivery for Round 3 was slated for June and we'll still be aiming to get everything out by the end of June.

Last edited:

Dubmonkey

Any updates to the response refresh on the dashboard or the addition of a action set button. I make adjustments via the dashboard and never get a response that the change was accepted or acknowledged. Very frustrating to have to disconnect from the Red Queen then reconnect then go to the dashboard to see if my change was taken. And usually the first one or two tries doesn’t work.

Granted once set and you don’t change coils/Devices then it is a flip on and wait to heated then use. But if you got multiple coils or devices that require various settings then setting those settings every time you switch is a pain because of the experience I described in my first paragraph. Wish the device customizable storage feature allowed users to add their own settings and devices. I know it is in the works but starting to feel the encumbrance by not having this feature. Where I am eyeing a Auber as a back up / plug and go option.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Any updates to the response refresh on the dashboard or the addition of a action set button. I make adjustments via the dashboard and never get a response that the change was accepted or acknowledged. Very frustrating to have to disconnect from the Red Queen then reconnect then go to the dashboard to see if my change was taken. And usually the first one or two tries doesn’t work.

Granted once set and you don’t change coils/Devices then it is a flip on and wait to heated then use. But if you got multiple coils or devices that require various settings then setting those settings every time you switch is a pain because of the experience I described in my first paragraph. Wish the device customizable storage feature allowed users to add their own settings and devices. I know it is in the works but starting to feel the encumbrance by not having this feature. Where I am eyeing a Auber as a back up / plug and go option.
You CAN store your own settings and save them. There's an 'Override' feature in the Advanced Tuning tab that will let you edit and save over current available tunings. You just can't save a completely NEW piece of equipment yet.

We recommend using the 'Standard' tunings as your Override tunings, but you can also RESET any changes to factory settings in the advanced menu as well.

[I think this is part of what you were referring to? If not, sorry for the confusion.]

I know the connection issues are a frustration but the upcoming hotfixes should help with most of that and it adds some new features that everyone will get in the end. There's been a LOT of progress on that front over the last few days. Liz has been busting ass.

Oogendoogan

I’m gonna ask this here but please redirect me if this is the wrong place. I ordered a 25mm coil from hexnail about a month ago and I’ve been loving it. I unfortunately broke my fake gavel I had been using with it yesterday and I wasn’t worried at all because I had ordered 3 25mm flat tops from dh gate. I even ordered a 4th from a site called thebangerstore.com just to be safe.

When trying to mate these with the hexnail coil they are all slightly too big. I recently received a disorderly conduction coil as a backup and it fits my only nail that fits my hexnail coil even tighter than the hexnail coil. My question is can I stretch the hex nail coil a little bit to fit these slightly larger bangers?

It would only need a very slight stretch as the bangers almost fit, they will slide about half way on before getting stuck. I imagine if I did stretch them to fit it would be a tighter fit and therefore transfer heat more effectively. Would love to not have 3 bangers that are only good for a torch so any answers would be appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I only found 25mm coils through hexnail and while I don’t own a unit, I am planning on getting a hex nail for my next large desktop purchase. Any advice is appreciated and please let me know if I should post this somewhere else.

Oogendoogan,
Reactions: Hogni

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
I’m gonna ask this here but please redirect me if this is the wrong place. I ordered a 25mm coil from hexnail about a month ago and I’ve been loving it. I unfortunately broke my fake gavel I had been using with it yesterday and I wasn’t worried at all because I had ordered 3 25mm flat tops from dh gate. I even ordered a 4th from a site called thebangerstore.com just to be safe.

When trying to mate these with the hexnail coil they are all slightly too big. I recently received a disorderly conduction coil as a backup and it fits my only nail that fits my hexnail coil even tighter than the hexnail coil. My question is can I stretch the hex nail coil a little bit to fit these slightly larger bangers?

It would only need a very slight stretch as the bangers almost fit, they will slide about half way on before getting stuck. I imagine if I did stretch them to fit it would be a tighter fit and therefore transfer heat more effectively. Would love to not have 3 bangers that are only good for a torch so any answers would be appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I only found 25mm coils through hexnail and while I don’t own a unit, I am planning on getting a hex nail for my next large desktop purchase. Any advice is appreciated and please let me know if I should post this somewhere else.

Im assuming you're mating them with the coil hot right? If you are and thats not a fix, then you can stretch the coil a bit with some small pliers, I believe it is easier when its hot, I think there was a thread on this at one point but Im pretty sure it'll be an easy fix since its a slight adjust

Oogendoogan

Im assuming you're mating them with the coil hot right? If you are and thats not a fix, then you can stretch the coil a bit with some small pliers, I believe it is easier when its hot, I think there was a thread on this at one point but Im pretty sure it'll be an easy fix since its a slight adjust
Yeah when hot. To be fair I didn’t have much time today before leaving for work and maybe I didn’t wait long enough. Some pliers sound like they would do the trick, especially when hot. I’ll do what I can and report back. If anyone else has advice I’m all ears. They’re all so close.. don’t want them to be useless. Also don’t know where to get cheap quartz bangers that fit.. anyone have any luck with @diggaglass on IG?

Oogendoogan,

YabbaDABBAdo

@Oogendoogan I would not recommend doing it hot nor warm you are going to need to have both banger and coil in hand when making adjustments so you can feel the tension of the coil around the banger. The coil expands as it heats up, you want a proper fitment when the banger is cold to give you the best vaporization and temps. When you rotate the coil around the banger you want to have a nice smooth fluid motion with no sticking or scraping and not loose enough to fall off. Start with a cold coil and nail, you rotate the coil clockwise to tighten and counter to loosen, use a folded rag/piece of cloth and wrap the pliers head with that to not mar the coil up with them it will scratch your quartz. Always do small and minute movements and make sure you are gripping at least 2 of the coil rings with the plier head because if you bend the coil too far it will get misshapen and never fit properly. Just take your time and do it slowly because it can get costly if messed up. I would also start off trying it by hand first because if it’s a small enough adjustments.
Hope that helps and you don’t break another banger

Oogendoogan

@Oogendoogan I would not recommend doing it hot nor warm you are going to need to have both banger and coil in hand when making adjustments so you can feel the tension of the coil around the banger. The coil expands as it heats up, you want a proper fitment when the banger is cold to give you the best vaporization and temps. When you rotate the coil around the banger you want to have a nice smooth fluid motion with no sticking or scraping and not loose enough to fall off. Start with a cold coil and nail, you rotate the coil clockwise to tighten and counter to loosen, use a folded rag/piece of cloth and wrap the pliers head with that to not mar the coil up with them it will scratch your quartz. Always do small and minute movements and make sure you are gripping at least 2 of the coil rings with the plier head because if you bend the coil too far it will get misshapen and never fit properly. Just take your time and do it slowly because it can get costly if messed up. I would also start off trying it by hand first because if it’s a small enough adjustments.
Hope that helps and you don’t break another banger
Thank you for the advice. First banger actually broke from a fall. How the rig was ok I’ll never know lol. But I did tighten it a bit for that nail. Just with my hands. I see what you mean and I’m a little scared to mess with it too much. I have a back up in the DC coil now so I’m going to try. Will report back. Thanks again for the advice.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Hey guys. Sorry for the silence (if you noticed, we closed Round 3).

Lots more info coming this week. Been having issues with out payment processor since the end of the month. They accused us of selling E-Juice / Nicotine and we're having to appeal the decision, etc.

Frustration is putting it lightly.

More on that and the rest coming on the blog by the end of the week.
More units going out by the end of the week.
More parts will be on the way by the end of the week.

SilentJ

Hey guys. Sorry for the silence (if you noticed, we closed Round 3).

*snip*

More units going out by the end of the week.
More parts will be on the way by the end of the week.

First of all, congrats on closing round three ladies! Hopefully that also means DabOS 2.0 is coming soon.

Second, on the shipping units, is that in reference to 2nd or 3rd round units? I’m a bit lost in what is currently going out. Also, how can we tell where we are in the queue? Just curious when I can start anxiously awaiting my new toy to arrive.

SilentJ,
Reactions: EconMan
Top Bottom