Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

anrchy666

I don't even manually have to disconnect from the device to lose connection on my phone though. Whether using the chrome webpage or the app. I will have to swipe away chrome/the app and reload it from the app drawer to do the "hydrating/established" process, otherwise it just sits with the blue "ON" light without really being controlled by anything.

I will just go back to using my PC I guess. I am using a custom ROM on my phone, but no issues otherwise. I think I lose connection when my phone screen timeout/locks. Not sure. I was more worried about it turning on when I turned it off but will be more careful now that I know this can happen...
Try looking through the rom battery saving options or apps like doze and allow the app to run in background.

anrchy666,
Reactions: mutten840

mutten840

If you go to the device screen. You can click on the far right area (Where you set default) and it will offer a disconnect option =)

mutten840,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Try looking through the rom battery saving options or apps like doze and allow the app to run in background.

Gotcha, this maybe my bad, not greenifying the app and allowing it to run during sleep. Let me see if that fixes it.

I know how to manually disconnect/etc. I just didn't need to with my phone, since it would disconnect every little bit. On my PC it's fine and stays connected unless I do it myself :p

Last edited:

friedpiper

Always blazin' new trails..
New member, first time post.. High y'all
Happy to say that I placed an order for an HN-02 today :nod: I love the fact that they are a small outfit doing everything from scratch, all while being very innovative at the same time. Obviously I have no idea when it shall arrive, but I am excited to hear when it ships.
Looking for suggestions on how to accompany it from people that have the first version. What kind of hardware should I get? I ordered it with a flat coil, so I could use it on either a hybrid nail or the new Liger Air. Getting other coils in the future is in the plans. I would like to find a good balance between full flavor while hopefully not leaving puddles to clean up. Leaning toward a SiC dish for reliability and performance.. Anybody wanna help a newbie out?

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
New member, first time post.. High y'all
Happy to say that I placed an order for an HN-02 today :nod: I love the fact that they are a small outfit doing everything from scratch, all while being very innovative at the same time. Obviously I have no idea when it shall arrive, but I am excited to hear when it ships.
Looking for suggestions on how to accompany it from people that have the first version. What kind of hardware should I get? I ordered it with a flat coil, so I could use it on either a hybrid nail or the new Liger Air. Getting other coils in the future is in the plans. I would like to find a good balance between full flavor while hopefully not leaving puddles to clean up. Leaning toward a SiC dish for reliability and performance.. Anybody wanna help a newbie out?

Grab a Liger with a Wierdeer or Gordo Bubble cap, a Halo with dnail V2 cap and if youre feeling froggy, a 25mm banger and you'll be set up with top of the gear across the board

friedpiper

Grab a Liger with a Wierdeer or Gordo Bubble cap, a Halo with dnail V2 cap and if youre feeling froggy, a 25mm banger and you'll be set up with top of the gear across the board

Thanks for the info and quick reply. May I ask if you have a preference halo vs. Liger, and if you had to pick between a 20 or a 30 Liger, which would be the ultimate choice? Only reason why I ask is I was thinking of grabbing a High5 controller to use during the waiting game.. 20mm Liger still available, while the 30 isn't. My conscience pushing me toward a Dnail halo setup first. Any thoughts on first purchase? The Boost Black I got is getting me by for low temp dabs, but want that money hit to put me down

friedpiper,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Thanks for the info and quick reply. May I ask if you have a preference halo vs. Liger, and if you had to pick between a 20 or a 30 Liger, which would be the ultimate choice? Only reason why I ask is I was thinking of grabbing a High5 controller to use during the waiting game.. 20mm Liger still available, while the 30 isn't. My conscience pushing me toward a Dnail halo setup first. Any thoughts on first purchase? The Boost Black I got is getting me by for low temp dabs, but want that money hit to put me down

Having used all 3, I couldn't live without any. IMO, the 200m Liger is the best flavor but doesn't really ever make clouds, the Halo can chug like no other but leaves a bit of flavor behind, even the sapphire Halo wasn't as tasty as either of the SIC Liger inserts....and finally the 30mm, especially with the AH coil is hands down the sexiest and most visually impressive nail setup on the market.

I went with High5 to start out on my first few nails but if I had it to do over again Id go with a Moron e5cc setup from ewaxcanada.ca or an auber 300 as they are wired to the standard dnail setup and give you many more options on coils, you cant even use AH coils on High5 boxes.....and don't get me wrong, High5 is quality gear but you have to factor in all the other coils you'll get in the controllers life.

Having used all 3, I couldn't live without any. IMO, the 200m Liger is the best flavor but doesn't really ever make clouds, the Halo can chug like no other but leaves a bit of flavor behind, even the sapphire Halo wasn't as tasty as either of the SIC Liger inserts....and finally the 30mm, especially with the AH coil is hands down the sexiest and most visually impressive nail setup on the market.

I went with High5 to start out on my first few nails but if I had it to do over again Id go with a Moron e5cc setup from ewaxcanada.ca or an auber 300 as they are wired to the standard dnail setup and give you many more options on coils, you cant even use AH coils on High5 boxes.....and don't get me wrong, High5 is quality gear but you have to factor in all the other coils you'll get in the controllers life.

High5 sells an adapter now.

scalescliffs,

exmex

High5 sells an adapter now.
The adapter only lets u use high5 coils on other brand enails, not other standard coils on ur high5 enail :( I learned that the hard way haha and have a augusthaus liger coil sitting here sitting waiting until i get a red queen :( I did get a high5 flat coil in yesterday to use my new flat coil liger but had to jimmy rig it with some washers because cca710 didnt bother to send the stock heat shield even tho i ordered it :/ Sorry for ranting:horse: im just salty n baked :leaf:

friedpiper

Seems like it wouldn't be all that difficult to make an adapter using some spare XLR microphone cable laying around, or switch the terminals on the coil connector itself? Maybe just my electrical and music industry background talking here.. Most companies don't want cross-compatibility with others so you will buy their shit, but I love to defeat those sorts of things.

Anyways, seems like the Auber would work great while waiting for my Red Queen. Only drawback is I can snatch up a High5 with crypto windfalls online without banging up my bank account, and it still contains Omron electronics. Decisions decisions..

friedpiper,

JigMelon

To those that are giving @muunch suggestions, you're wasting your breath. It doesn't matter if he's connected, or if he explicitly disconnects, or if the app is able to run in the background. If the HN connected to the internet, it needs to be able to accept requests from multiple clients (which it DOES), and use the most recent request (which it likely does, but I/we don't have the necessary access to assess this). If that is the case, then the issue is on HN's side. This is the result of one of three possible things:

1. Clients are connecting and automatically reporting the heater as ON - This is a HUUUUUGE no-no, and I highly doubt the HN team made this mistake.

2. Clients are connecting, the server invalidates the latest status and retrieves the status that the newly-connected client had set when last disconnected. - This is a plausible bug, and we have no way of testing this without access to the server

3. It's a bug/malfunction of another feature - @HexNailAva already said that this was the case several pages ago when I brought it up. They have a safety feature in place that is not functioning as intended. They are aware of the issue and are fixing it. I assume it will be corrected when the next update goes out.

The issue is known, and is absolutely on their end. There is no reason to suggest that we do specific steps to mitigate the circumstance. Turn the unit off when you're away until they fix it on their end.

Last edited:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Seems like it wouldn't be all that difficult to make an adapter using some spare XLR microphone cable laying around, or switch the terminals on the coil connector itself? Maybe just my electrical and music industry background talking here.. Most companies don't want cross-compatibility with others so you will buy their shit, but I love to defeat those sorts of things.

Anyways, seems like the Auber would work great while waiting for my Red Queen. Only drawback is I can snatch up a High5 with crypto windfalls online without banging up my bank account, and it still contains Omron electronics. Decisions decisions..

Another factor in High5 setups is their e5cc is a mechanical relay unit, not an SSR (solid state relay), so there is constant clicking of the relay, sounds like most home thermostats clicking on and off and there are claims of less accuracy and lower life as there is a mechanical link in the device. I have had zero issues with my High5 Omron but as Ive stated a few posts up, if I had it to do over again, Id not worry about saving couple bucks on gear and would have gotten a proper e5cc from ewaxcanada or just went with the Auber.

mutten840

I think the issue is not as extended as you are trying to make it. Muunch was not disconnecting from his device in the UI and it was causing the controller to come back on, He tried to disconnect after turning the heater off and it sounds like it has been working fine now. He is also running a custom firmware on his phone and this could be the cause of his random disconnects from his mobile phone to the controller when bypassing Wifi.

There was something in the software that would wake up the units around 2am. But I found disconnecting from the app before stopped these from happening. This will be addressed in the next update, but you can disconnect after turning the heater off to bypass this issue

Heatmiser

OK, so it’s been about a week since we’ve been waiting for the heat sensor parts. Any updates or movement?

Also, for the folks who have been playing with the 25 mm bangers, what about the flat-top models seems to make them perform better than the slanted top variety? I inadvertently wound up with a few of the ones without the flattops...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Heatmiser,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
OK, so it’s been about a week since we’ve been waiting for the heat sensor parts. Any updates or movement?

Also, for the folks who have been playing with the 25 mm bangers, what about the flat-top models seems to make them perform better than the slanted top variety? I inadvertently wound up with a few of the ones without the flattops...

Thanks!

If you can get the coil to fit around it I'm sure it's fine. I'm not sure there's enough room below the joint arm to fully fit the coil on a slanted top banger. If it does work, you won't be able to use a bubble cap though... which isn't a biggie. it's just bubble caps are pretty cheap and easily obtainable.

Last edited:

mutten840

@Heatmiser they have all the parts and are still just waiting on the coils to land. I sent you a message earlier. Could you check it =)

I prefer the flat top over the slant top mainly for the ease of any cap just sitting perfectly on top of it. The slant top bangers can be fickle for finding caps and most are 24mm and not 25mm

YabbaDABBAdo

what about the flat-top models seems to make them perform better than the slanted top variety?
@Heatmiser One thing I like about the flattops over the slanted is a lot of the flat tops have beveled edges on the inner side so when a bubble cap is used you get a perfect seal. Second flat tops have a deeper dish so you do not get slurpage down the neck of the banger and lose your material before it fully vaporizers . And finally you can use flat caps and bubble caps, personally bubble caps you can chase the puddle and get better vaporization and a better seal I think imo. Also with a deep dish flat banger you get the best fitment of coil to banger giving you a more steady temp for the best results.

Alvinhwang63

Anyone have an issue where the temperature on their hn-01 occasionally goes hirewire and displays in the 1000s when it was a few hundred before and occasionally n/c when the coil is plugged in. Doesn't happen all the time to me but hexnail hasn't responded to my emails for sometime so I am trying to fix it myself.

Thanks
Alvin l

Alvinhwang63,

anrchy666

Anyone have an issue where the temperature on their hn-01 occasionally goes hirewire and displays in the 1000s when it was a few hundred before and occasionally n/c when the coil is plugged in. Doesn't happen all the time to me but hexnail hasn't responded to my emails for sometime so I am trying to fix it myself.

Thanks
Alvin l
Yes its a know issue that happens now and then the os2 update should address this once released. Quick fix for me is to power down and back on.

Alvinhwang63

Yes its a know issue that happens now and then the os2 update should address this once released. Quick fix for me is to power down and back on.
Sweet! I was looking online for alternatives but will hold off now.i knew it was odd cause it just started happening randomly and not all the time

Alvinhwang63,

Thanks
Alvin l

Yep, I have this issue too. I also toggle the power to fix it.

scalescliffs,

mutten840

I just wanted to call out I can get you answers much faster if you send me a message. The Hexnail girls have been busy and I am helping them with making sure your questions and concerns get answered sooner than later =)

Working on getting some more info on the next update for HN-01 and HN-02 units. It sounds like the HN-01 port is done and its just little things getting sorted. But Ava said it worked and looked really nice on the HN-01 units.

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...testing the hn-02 more... it appears as if it will work if no wifi connection (assumed last settings)... the hn-02 DOES NOT work with wifi with NO internet connection, i found this odd considering it will work not connected to a network... i would have assumed it would have worked in a network with no internet connection...

...by 'not working' i mean my unit flashes cyan LED and nail is stone cold... when i tested with no network it would flash green but the nail would still heat up!

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
...testing the hn-02 more... it appears as if it will work if no wifi connection (assumed last settings)... the hn-02 DOES NOT work with wifi with NO internet connection, i found this odd considering it will work not connected to a network... i would have assumed it would have worked in a network with no internet connection...

...by 'not working' i mean my unit flashes cyan LED and nail is stone cold... when i tested with no network it would flash green but the nail would still heat up!

So, unless you're only going from phone to 02 (via bt? wifi? adhoc?), if you do not have an internet connection, you cannot adjust your 02?

My use case is dabbing out a festivals where internet is not an option.

Top Bottom