Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

Heatmiser

It seems like you haven't read the last 5 pages or so of this thread :D

Many former Liger advocates back on quartz bangers.

You’re right I had not. Going back and doing that now... nothing like buyers remorse before you even you use something!

Btw,
Can someone tell me the best tool for removing inserts from the Liger, please? I never got a response when I asked that a couple months ago... or do you just take it off and dump them out? I should actually get to try using the thing for the first time, soon! I want to make sure I have everything I need so I can start using this thing as soon as I receive it.

Thanks!

I never take mine out. If I were to, I could just dump it out cold. The flat coil ones don’t really get stuck like the 20mm ones luckily.

scalescliffs,
Reactions: mutten840

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
You’re right I had not. Going back and doing that now... nothing like buyers remorse before you even you use something!

Btw,
Can someone tell me the best tool for removing inserts from the Liger, please? I never got a response when I asked that a couple months ago... or do you just take it off and dump them out? I should actually get to try using the thing for the first time, soon! I want to make sure I have everything I need so I can start using this thing as soon as I receive it.

Thanks!

I keep the airpath flush with the bucket so one can just dump out the insert.
Cold dumps are safest.
If your insert is stuck I've found this little lockpick @ 0.015" to be indispensable:

http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/r5nh15.htm

Insert in the gap and apply very gentle twisting motion.
I've unstuck even fragile sapphire inserts on a regular basis with this method.

edit: If you're talking about the 20mm Liger a pair of forceps can be used to grab the insert from the inside (by opening the forceps and lifting the insert out); doesn't work well on the 30mm inserts as the are wider and not as deep.

I bought an AH 26mm coil and banger to see how it is. I currently have an AH Liger.

Sweet.
I've had my eye on that and have an AH Liger as well.
Were those 14mm male only? (I haven't contacted AH yet)

Last edited:

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
I keep the airpath flush with the bucket so one can just dump out the insert.
Cold dumps are safest.
If your insert is stuck I've found this little lockpick @ 0.015" to be indispensable:

http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/r5nh15.htm

Insert in the gap and apply very gentle twisting motion.
I've unstuck even fragile sapphire inserts on a regular basis with this method.

edit: If you're talking about the 20mm Liger a pair of forceps can be used to grab the insert from the inside (by opening the forceps and lifting the insert out); doesn't work well on the 30mm inserts as the are wider and not as deep.

Sweet.
I've had my eye on that and have an AH Liger as well.
Were those 14mm male only? (I haven't contacted AH yet)
Yea 14mm male only. I am thinking about getting one of these as well on sale for $100.

Just gonna need some updated PID settings for the 26mm AH coil.

Been Vapin,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
reminder that my crummy experience is due to my lack of experience with adjusting coils to fit bangers, and nothing to do with the hexnail itself, which has been working solidly since I switched from the tplink firmware.

I'll take my venting to the appropriate thread next time

i fucked one of my 20mm coils (again my own stupid fault) otherwise I'd be running my WA+SiC next to my SH on the vapecode controller, but rn it's one or the other. I hope this week I am able to nail the fitment on the bangers. The most important thing is that I've learned what NOT to do, so hopefully it gets easier.

Like I said, once I get a solid working one, I see no reason to keep my wraparound... The banger gives a very nice dab and I love the visual feedback... which maybe the driving force for my desire to make this work... The taste I need a bit more experience to speak on, but I really don't think it's any worse than my SiC dish after the little testing I did do. The dab was certainly much smoother, very noticably so. I don't need to use glob mode either except when actually dropping globs now too...

Dubmonkey

Thanks @muunch for the comparison between coils/bangers and the WA from NV.

Can’t wait for the HN-02 to power this 30mm set up (and the coil doesn’t touch the ground). Got my email on Friday and awaiting my shipping notification. Sounds like this week.

DGz9EJ0.jpg

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
Thanks @muunch for the comparison between coils/bangers and the WA from NV.

Can’t wait for the HN-02 to power this 30mm set up (and the coil doesn’t touch the ground). Got my email on Friday and awaiting my shipping notification. Sounds like this week.

DGz9EJ0.jpg

Whoa, is that a fabcycling-j-hook?
Can you post a link to that piece?
I recently broke my travel recycler and still need to replace it, that looks like it could be a contender!

:peace:

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...i see they took coils off their site for sale :(... my 20mm failed and i need a new one... i really like the one i got from them, and would like another... also ordered a 30mm coil a few weeks ago and i'm sure it has not shipped :shrug:... hope they not waiting until they send out more HN-02's to ship my coil :p

...i guess it's a sign to wait until they have 25mm coils in stock :|

EDIT: im in canada and i've found it hard to find decent coils that ship to canada

mutten840

Looks like Hex nail will be selling 25mm coils sooner than later

Straight from Ava:
We're currently waiting on a test batch of new 25mm coils (both 110v and 220v) and plan to list them on the store for $50 (ea.) pending our QA. We're excited to hopefully be able to bring these coils to the market for a reasonable price for the first time. Please contact us if you're interested in getting one (or more) of these before they are released to the general public on our Webstore.

Wanted to pass this along as it will save several of us some scratch =)

mutten840

@just_the_flu Ava said they will also be restocking the standard sizes of coils. They are waiting on a shipment and will add them back to the site, once they are back in stock =)

@Been Vapin I have been using the 20mm coil and standard heavy as my default settings for the 25mm bangers. I have my temp set between 540 and 550

Make sure the coil is smooth when moving over the banger cold. Once it heats up, it will loosen a bit. This is where using a piece of wire or something similar to hold the coil arm straight. =)

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
@just_the_flu Ava said they will also be restocking the standard sizes of coils. They are waiting on a shipment and will add them back to the site, once they are back in stock =)

@Been Vapin I have been using the 20mm coil and standard heavy as my default settings for the 25mm bangers. I have my temp set between 540 and 550

Make sure the coil is smooth when moving over the banger cold. Once it heats up, it will loosen a bit. This is where using a piece of wire or something similar to hold the coil arm straight. =)

I just went through your posts and photo album. Got it in plunger smooth, but not too loose or tight and used some wire wrap. It seems to be straight.

Got it set to standard heavy with presets at 540,550,560.

What’s everyone rocking for temps with 25mm bangers on the hex Nail?

Just did my first dab at 560F by accident and it was much tastier than the Liger with SiC insert by a lot. Holy shit this setup is a game changer.

mutten840

I have been able to drop my temps as low as 520 and cap the banger to let the heat build up some. You can get some really tasty dabs on the lower temps, but you can also get really big dabs by turning the temp up just a bit (545 makes me look like puff the magic dragon)

I also know a few people have been messing with inserts in the 25mm bangers and have had really good results =)

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
oooooooookay lemme just chime in again rq, I know I got shitted on for mentioning chinese bangers before, but THESE are what you should use when trying to perfect the fit... Of course once you get the fit right, and adjusting the coil... move on to something not shit...

https://www.dhgate.com/product/25mm-thick-bottom-flat-top-quartz-skillet/405464346.html

For the price, it's a no brainer. Over half off the FDC bangers WHEN they're on sale. And these come with carbcaps and inserts (of course of questionable quality) but yeh - test your fits with these.

They aren't half bad to dab off of. Can't notice too much off a difference from the FDC, but I'll do a comparison when I get (more) fdc bangers in later this week.

I'm at 560 coil, showing 408 nail according to the hexnail software (heavy standard, 20mm coil + settings @mutten840 shared with me) and according to this TM-902C I have, the center of the inside of the banger measures just about 10degrees higher. Still playing around some, but flavors are still much better and smoother than with the SiC dish... I will be going lower if anywhere and actually using glob mode for globs rather than every dab.

Anyway - who needs a wraparound

YabbaDABBAdo

What’s everyone rocking for temps with 25mm bangers on the hex Nail?

I’ve been messing around a lot with the temps and then going into advance settings, from there I have done trial and error to get rock solid temps on the HE gavel. My normal coil temp is 520°-535° and nail temps between 374° and 385°Ish and getting full hits and great flavor,I also use the glob button either 12°/60 or 20°/40! here is a video of my unit with the settings I have dialed in for the HE gavel specifically YES IM TAKING A DAB THE WHOLE TIME!!:rockon:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152965253@N08/39613700465/in/datetaken/

I also know a few people have been messing with inserts in the 25mm bangers and have had really good results =)

I also am one that has been messing with inserts too, it’s all a matter of preference too but I have found you need to run the gavel at the low end of 550° and a 600° highest ( for me at least) as a set temp for coil. I then set my glob mode to the max degree which is 50° atm :( And to 60-80 seconds so 50/60 as the “main heat up” and then I also set a second glob mode for a “reheat” to 30° and for only 20 to 30 seconds.You wnnna start by hittting your first glob mode (50°/60) to heat the nail up then wait as the nail heats up and it will stable out at its peak temp, then I use the counter timer for indication but drop the insert in around 20-25 seconds left on the glob counter, then cap it and wait for it to melt and start your hit. Now here’s it’s all a matter of preference, after the counter has stopped on the first glob mode and the temp starts to go back down to set coil temp usually wait for it to drop and stable out but depending on flavor or vapor and feeling I then go ahead and hit the second glob button as a re heat from there I just pick insert out with the tweezers and drop it into a cup of iso for an instant clean.
I continue to mess with it because I already get an amazing flavor out of the gavel with the settings I have tweaked with constant vapor. I will be letting @HexNailAva , @HexNailLiz hopefully we will see a higher temp adjustment as well with a way to drop temp further below set temp during the hit for the (maybe a way to program your own hit :dog:) but all that and more is to come I’m sure AFTER they get the new OS up and running for us all!!!
I know this is a lot but I could go on with a list of ideas or things to help or ideas for this beast

My tuned gavel setting
P-6
I-18
D-22
I limit-80%
D limit-80%
Windup on-25%
If anyone has a gavel and is willing to try these settings please let me know what you think
I also have a fan blowing in my room too and room temp is about 65° on average

TO EVERYONE: the new Gordo/HE GTR bubble cap and the gavel are a match made in heaven and a monster from hell that will blow your dabs TF up!! It’s seal to the gavel is a prefect fit they couldn’t get it better by far the best fitting and functioning cap on the market, bubble cap wise SERIOUSLY GET ONE
Here’s function words don’t describe the dab:mmmm:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152965253@N08/25639921037/in/dateposted/

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
TO EVERYONE: the new Gordo/HE GTR bubble cap and the gavel are a match made in heaven and a monster from hell that will blow your dabs TF up!! It’s seal to the gavel is a prefect fit they couldn’t get it better by far the best fitting and functioning cap on the market, bubble cap wise SERIOUSLY GET ONE

ugh.

I was thinking how nice it'd be, using the regular style bubble cap today. Would really help spread the oil initially.

I'm sure the gavels are amazing too compared to what I'm currently using.

Please save yourself the frustration and get the chinese bangers until you nail fitment, it's so worth it. I've ran a bunch of heat cycles on this one and so far, it's been amazing. :brow:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'm sure the gavels are amazing too compared to what I'm currently using.

My buddy broke my china nail the other day lol so I got him to order me one of the china gavels to try.
For $15 I'm excited to try it.

@YabbaDABBAdo I love uptemps, I think they are so smooth and flavorful. Do you feel dabbing at a static temp on the Gavel can compare in flavor to an insert drop ? I'm pretty excited for the HE x Eternal Gavel inserts to come.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: mutten840

Mr. Whitewall

Well, tried contacting with Fatdabco.com and got no reply... Really guys? Responding to emails is the LEAST you can do to be POLITE. :disgust: They even disregard their own online chat! :clap:
...Why even have country options if you do not sell to international customers? :shrug:

Then again, it saves time as international customer when they let you down before actually purchasing anything!
Wouldn't want to know what'd happen if there was any trouble with my order.

Good riddance Fatbadco! :wave:

I later contacted a few shops that are actually respectful and reliable and DO reply their emails. One of them even has better bangers for only $11! Will be making a purchase from them instead. :tup:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Anyone know when the update is supposed to drop? Is is this current week, or next week?

Also any idea of what some of the possible upgrades will be?

muunch,
Top Bottom