• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

mutten840

@ItWasaGoodDre I am trying to get some more info around the latest on ship dates for round 1 and 2 and will post once I have more info.

@Dubmonkey The Errlectric clips they sell for their bangers work great to hold the coil in place on a hot banger. they are def a game changer to keeping the coil in place when hot.

Let me see if I can get more info around the security for logging in and updated ship dates and will get back to you =)

Square4Life

@ItWasaGoodDre I am trying to get some more info around the latest on ship dates for round 1 and 2 and will post once I have more info.

@Dubmonkey The Errlectric clips they sell for their bangers work great to hold the coil in place on a hot banger. they are def a game changer to keeping the coil in place when hot.

Let me see if I can get more info around the security for logging in and updated ship dates and will get back to you =)
Thanks @mutten840 !

I'm curious as well as I heard one report of round 2 shipping right around round 1 as the hardware is already prepped for the round 2 units.

I then also heard that round 2 would hopefully ship by the end of February. Which then either makes the round 1 units much further out OR the round 2 units are not going to ship as quickly with the round 1 units.

Square4Life,

YabbaDABBAdo

Hey guys and gals want to give and update on the 25mm coil and cryptic culture JTR once fitted properly the nail works like a charm and the errlectric clips are money thanks @mutten840 and I am awaiting my gavel this week! I have noticed on the cc JTR the rounded bottom tip does need to be adjusted so the coil is fitted tighter to the nail but I have yet to do this and I am sure it would drop the temp even more since I missed out on the sale of more 25mm coils and I’m wanting to set my gavel to this nail so at this time I am NOT adjusting the coil fit the JTR bottom until I have another coil but I am still getting great hits and full clouds

I am at 575° and nail at 465° I do not take my coil off like mutten840 stated and errlectric clips are key

YabbaDABBAdo,
Reactions: mutten840

mutten840

I am pretty sure all round 1 and part of round 2 units are built and just waiting for the software to get sorted out. The hardware has been confirmed as good and its just the software thats holding the party up. I will say the software is a million times more complex than the UI on the current units and so I can completely understand why its taken longer than expected. I am working to get more info today and will pass what I find along, or will have Ava respond (If she is not too busy)

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...dumb question... why wouldn't they release the HN2's with the original software while they work on the newer platform and then release it as an update?
...obvious answer is hardware limitations...

...i do not have a HN1... i would think though from a business stand point if the hardware is ready and has been ready to go for awhile and its simply just software limitations i would send out the HN2's with older software and release the new platform once ready and operating. People who have been waiting since November would have a unit, and would have received theirs before the second batch...

...this is gonna sound petty and dumb, but i was kinda disappointed when i saw that round 2 would probably be shipped about same time as round 1 units (i know that sounds extremely lame and petty.. but it's the principle behind it- at the time round 1 had a deadline and round 2 had an open deadline but now both deadlines sound the same)

just_the_flu,

mutten840

@just_the_flu The older units are using an older OS and the new units have a completely new OS that does not work with the older units yet. The focus has been to get the new OS completed and out the door. Then they will focus on updating the older units to the new OS. I have 2 units pre ordered and am in line like the rest of you waiting impatiently. They are working as hard as they can to get the OS finished up and out the door and know they have gone over the ship date for the first round. But sometimes great things take longer than expected and this is one of those moments =) I feel your frustration and would ask you to hang in there a bit longer. I promise you it will be worth the wait. I waited close to 4 months for my 2 OG units and I was and still am beyond happy with my units. This is partly why I ordered 2 more. They are just an amazing product that blows the mind of each person that gets to try them out.

Dont feel bad for being frustrated, its normal to want your goodies sooner than later and you should not feel petty or bad for calling out something others are most likely thinking =P

Justpassedu

@just_the_flu The older units are using an older OS and the new units have a completely new OS that does not work with the older units yet. The focus has been to get the new OS completed and out the door. Then they will focus on updating the older units to the new OS. I have 2 units pre ordered and am in line like the rest of you waiting impatiently. They are working as hard as they can to get the OS finished up and out the door and know they have gone over the ship date for the first round. But sometimes great things take longer than expected and this is one of those moments =) I feel your frustration and would ask you to hang in there a bit longer. I promise you it will be worth the wait. I waited close to 4 months for my 2 OG units and I was and still am beyond happy with my units. This is partly why I ordered 2 more. They are just an amazing product that blows the mind of each person that gets to try them out.

Dont feel bad for being frustrated, its normal to want your goodies sooner than later and you should not feel petty or bad for calling out something others are most likely thinking =P
mutten840 so when the new operating system comes as a update it will not work with the HN01 units ? I was under the impression that once the HN02's were ready and shipped the update would be out for the HN01's .

mutten840

@Justpassedu The older units will be waiting for the updated OS to be ported to them. So the newest units will ship with the new OS and the port to the new OS will come out shortly after the release of the new units. This is what I have heard, but it could change. Liz has been focused purely on the newest OS and getting it buttoned up for the new units. I will make sure to add this to my list of questions to get more clarity on and will report back with more. The above is just what I know for now =)

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
The older units are using an older OS and the new units have a completely new OS that does not work with the older units yet. The focus has been to get the new OS completed and out the door.

... assuming the old OS runs on the new units i still do not understand why they wouldn't get the HN02's out that are ready with old OS then update to new OS when ready (as planned for HN01's but assumed on your comment HN02 would be released before the HN01's)...

...not looking to argue or bicker, i just don't understand why they wouldn't have shipped whats ready with current(old) OS...

...i do not question this this will be tops, that's why i am in round 1 ;) and happily patiently waiting... it's just a simple technicality from a business standpoint i just do not understand....

just_the_flu,

nickmo

I don't know the specific situation, but I do know a bit about software development, and it sounds like there may be differences in the internal hardware. The first iteration of the OS from the HN01 was designed for that hardware configuration. When designing HN02 the internal hardware may have changed (likely for the better), which prompted a re-design of the software; DabOS/2. The current focus being on the HN02 which is dependent on the new software. Once those units make it to their owners Liz can work on porting DabOS/2 to the new units. Just my assumptions based on the situation...

mutten840

@just_the_flu There are 2 things here:

1: The new units are pending the new OS to be completed before they get released. These units do not work with the old OS and so they cannot be sent out using it and are stuck waiting for the new OS to be finished.

2: The original touchscreen units will not get the updated OS until after they have completed the porting of the new OS to work on the older touchscreen units. All of these they are sending out are using the current version of the old OS

I know they are still building and shipping the touchscreen units and all you need to do is reach out to them to order one, as they are considered custom a custom order item

I apologize for any confusion around the OS and the 2 flavors of Hex nails

JigMelon

You guys are still missing just_the_flu's statement/question. Nobody has confirmed whether or not the HN02 units are capable of running the current OS version which is available.

just_the_flu is just trying to find out if OS1 can run on HN02. I would imagine the answer is that it would require additional work on OS1, which is already deprecated. That being said, if OS1 does work without issues on HN02, and if an HN02 unit in that state could eventually upgrade to OS2, I wouldn't mind getting my HN02 ASAP w/ OS1.

Dubmonkey

Jumped on board the red queen express round 2. Woohoo. Now if I could find out if DC coils have a K-type thermoprobe or not. Wiring should work I believe as Disorderly uses standard 5 pin XLR.
From DC:
Pin1, Pin2 are power for coil;
Pin3, TC+;
Pin4, TC-;
Pin5, Ground;

Can someone confirm that the Hex Nail will work with the pin out above? Mainly if pin 1 and pin 2 between DC and HexNail coils are same.

Also anyone got dims on the Hex Nail 2 box?

Excited to try this email and have finer control on options compared to my current enail DC-Peli nail.

On the app side / interface / connection - what options are available besides the web app with traffic going to the HexNail servers? Wondering if the connection to HexNail servers are required for its operation or just for updates. Thinking of setting up a separate VLAN on my home network and not allowing to connect to the internet. Wish to keep my consummation and utilization info private. Can someone elaborate on the tech side? Will go,through the 40+ page thread once I have down time. Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Dubmonkey,

mutten840

@Dubmonkey I am using DC (Disorderly Conduction) coils on my Hex nails and they work perfectly. I also know they are going to start selling 25mm coils at some point =)

I think the dimensions of the new units is roughly 4x5x2 (possibly smaller, as I do not have the actual measurements. Just a pic that shows the new units being half the size of the OG touchscreen units)

mutten840,

ItWasaGoodDre

...this is gonna sound petty and dumb, but i was kinda disappointed when i saw that round 2 would probably be shipped about same time as round 1 units (i know that sounds extremely lame and petty.. but it's the principle behind it- at the time round 1 had a deadline and round 2 had an open deadline but now both deadlines sound the same)

Not petty at all. Pretty sure most of us in Round 1 are feeling that way. I appreciate the massive undertaking this must be for 2 people, but the communication regarding the Red Queen units has not been good. For a unit that is in the hundreds of dollars and several months passed the self-imposed deadline, we should expect more than the occasional forum post from someone who isn't even with the company. The communication overall has been poor.

@Mutton840 - THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR EFFORTS TO KEEP US INFORMED! Without you, most of us would basically be in the dark. I know they are only 2 people and are capable of only so much, but the customer service needs to be much better.

I notice that Ava's updates never contain the only news most of care about - WHEN WILL THIS UNIT SHIP? Other than "soon", there are basically no mentions of time frame. It would be wise if she could address this situation herself to bring us some clarity.

I'm not taking this too personally since I've experienced basically the same issues with other small 710 companies, such as CCA710's liger. But come on people, you need to do better than this if you are going to be in the retail business.

JigMelon

But come on people, you need to do better than this if you are going to be in the retail business.

Agreed, in regard to many companies I've dealt with; I will not specify which. The fact of the matter is that when this is legalized on a national level and large industrial design and manufacturing firms jump into the paraphernalia game, it's customer service that will make the smaller companies stand out in relation to the mass producers. When it comes to hardware, high-quality and uniqueness isn't necessarily important, as those two factors reduce the size of your customer pool and therefore your potential earnings. It's the same reason craft beer stands out against mass-produced beer, but craft-beer-supplies do not. People will buy whatever facilitates their accomplishment of a goal most efficiently. Nobody would be buying Ligers, HexNails, or KubeOnes if larger companies were selling US-made equivalents at 70% of the quality and 50% of the price. These companies barely have enough customers to keep the doors open without competition. They really need to take greater pride in their support and reputation if they intend to persist.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Not petty at all. Pretty sure most of us in Round 1 are feeling that way. I appreciate the massive undertaking this must be for 2 people, but the communication regarding the Red Queen units has not been good. For a unit that is in the hundreds of dollars and several months passed the self-imposed deadline, we should expect more than the occasional forum post from someone who isn't even with the company. The communication overall has been poor.

@Mutton840 - THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR EFFORTS TO KEEP US INFORMED! Without you, most of us would basically be in the dark. I know they are only 2 people and are capable of only so much, but the customer service needs to be much better.

I notice that Ava's updates never contain the only news most of care about - WHEN WILL THIS UNIT SHIP? Other than "soon", there are basically no mentions of time frame. It would be wise if she could address this situation herself to bring us some clarity.

I'm not taking this too personally since I've experienced basically the same issues with other small 710 companies, such as CCA710's liger. But come on people, you need to do better than this if you are going to be in the retail business.

I agree. My communication hasn't been good enough. I've been working really hard the last few days especially to improve that and catch back up.

I asked @mutten840 to help here on FC a few weeks ago because he knows we need help and was willing to take some of that load. It's actually helped me get back to handling communique a bit better lately (admittedly it was pretty slack for a bit there when the bigger chunks of building were going on). I wouldn't just leave everyone in the dark here (but I try to thank him constantly for helping us so much).

As for timeline...I just relay what I know status wise and the answers I get from Liz. She's blazing completely new trails here code wise. We aren't plugging in other people's code. There's no piggy-backing here. Sometimes things seem more simple than they end up being and it takes longer than she thought to get it solved.

We're doing our best...

These companies barely have enough customers to keep the doors open without competition. They really need to take greater pride in their support and reputation if they intend to persist.

I do take pride in my customer service but people are people, too. It's a company of 2 that have been working on this and hardly leaving the house for 2 years now. I'm also really the only one that handles things day-to-day when Liz is in heavy coding mode.

In the last 2 months we've lost a family member, lost a different friend, lost our car (twice, and are hoping to finally get it back this week), lost our health insurance, and lost any money we've made at this point. We live (literally) sale to sale right now. I bought groceries last night because someone ordered a nail. Only reason we had the funds right now.

I talk to customers every single day via text, email, facebook, instagram, and fc. Hell it's usually the closest thing I get to 'social interaction' most days. I try to do my best but managing everything and getting all of that done plus shipping, cleaning the house, dealing with my disability, managing the books, and building nails.

We knew the delivery times were going to frustrate some people but the simple fact is that we had to open Round 2 sales to make rent in December, and we had to get through our reserve sales and float a check for a day to make it this month.

It's not how we want to do things (now or in the future) but it's what we had to do this time, unfortunately.

As you said...we barely have enough customers to keep the doors open. So I'm posting at 4am to try to ensure everyone that you'll have your units soon.

As for actual shipping updates you should all be happy to know we have officially shipped the first Red Queen unit. We'll be wrapping them up as quickly as possible over the next few days and get more shipped out as soon as possible.

If you haven't paid for your unit completely expect a second invoice to come in soon...because your unit will be shipping soon!

Dubmonkey

Friendly suggestion @HexNailAva: maybe the adding of a FAQ page for HN1 and HN2 to the Hex Nail website. See a lot of good info here and there but no central location of all the info. Maybe if the FAQ page was like a wiki page where users could submit content and edits with your approval.

Just a thought.

mutten840

@JigMelon I am sure she did not take offense to any of it. Ava is amazing when it comes to her skills at taking tough info and turning into something good to drive her forward. They are both just pushing for the homeward stretch and hope we can all hold on for a little longer =)

I will continue to supply any info I can and will do my best to answer any questions while we all wait

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Friendly suggestion @HexNailAva: maybe the adding of a FAQ page for HN1 and HN2 to the Hex Nail website. See a lot of good info here and there but no central location of all the info. Maybe if the FAQ page was like a wiki page where users could submit content and edits with your approval.

Just a thought.
We're in the process of getting together a Wiki & FAQ now it's just slow going but it's part of wrapping it all up now. We'll hopefully be able to open it to customer edits some time after it launches.

@HexNailAva Sorry if what I said was a bit harsh; I did not intend to be offensive. When I said they, I should have specified that I meant current paraphernalia companies in general, and not specifically HexNail. Your communication with us is better than most by a long shot.

Thank you!

It didn't come off as harsh (and sorry if I came off offended). I just want people to know I'm doing my best to keep all my bases covered. It's just really difficult (made harder by issues with life stuff). We need more people and we need help. We just can't really...pay anybody right now. The bulk of Round 2 assembly will hopefully be done by a friend (at our place) who's done some assembly work for us before and that will be a huge deal if it works out. It'll take a lot of the load off us so we can actually do the things we need to do (like get back to better customer service). I've got 13 years under my belt and high standards for myself (and other companies).

I feel most of our earlier adopters will tell you we have fantastic customer service...but with more customers it becomes harder to manage. With a bigger build / test load I also have less time to be present for the customer. It keeps me going when people say they like our product or they think our service is good. That kind of stuff never falls on deaf ears and I'm excited to get these Red Queens out to folks so I can hear about what people think!

We love the community and always appreciate the feedback. We do our best to fix our shortcomings quickly but I can be a bit dense sometimes. Haha.

@JigMelon I am sure she did not take offense to any of it. Ava is amazing when it comes to her skills at taking tough info and turning into something good to drive her forward. They are both just pushing for the homeward stretch and hope we can all hold on for a little longer =)

I will continue to supply any info I can and will do my best to answer any questions while we all wait

I definitely do my best to keep on keepin' on. 'Little Engine That Could' is probably a fair example. We're really close. Really. Close. A few of the units are done with burn and in the final check / clean-up stages. They'll be ready to go soon.

And thank you again for helping us out (from me and the folks here).

EDIT: The ghost speaks! Liz is getting together a big post for y'all now.

Last edited:

HexNailLiz

Manufacturer
For my first post, I'd like to formally announce the completion of the v2.0.0 Hex-Nail Controller Firmware and App release!

I'm extremely pleased with what we're bringing to the table with this latest model; even though we're just getting started with this next-generation codebase. I think you'll really appreciate the entire experience we've been able to craft; it's been an exciting privilege being able to push innovation in the cannabis landscape, and I'm looking forward to keep taking it the next level!

With roots in Silicon Valley and a passion for Cannabis Culture, we've both found ourselves in a unique position to advance not only the basis for the best medical and recreational experience, but push the industry forward by providing a mechanism to create new insight and knowledge from otherwise overlooked and previously-unavailable data.

We've also felt for a while that the prolific world of Cannabis glass and glass culture and has long lacked an E-Nail to complement it's beauty and grassroots nature; I think the new Red Queens are going to be well received by those tired of staring at the readout on your everyday PID.

---

I want to acknowledge the killer job Ava's been doing holding down the fort and exhaustively keeping up with so many parts of this business while I've been burning through the night on code. We've had a lot going on and the distractions are never easy, never-mind when "real-life" stuff starts to come up. She's been fantastic about making sure everything (including myself) keeps moving forward.

---

Just a few highlights from the v2.0.0 release:

## Brand-New Web App!

Featuring new tunings (I'm LOVING this new 25mm setup!), tuning overrides, personal usage logs, remote access, an LED ring (!), Alexa and Google Home integration; these are just a few of the new things you'll be able to start using as soon as you receive your RQ2.

Completely written and re-written from the ground up and built using the latest web tech, the web app has complete feature-parity with the Native Apps we'll be publishing for both iOS and Android within about a month.

## Proven Hardware

We've been burning in the Round 1 RQ2's for about two-months straight now, and have seen surprisingly few issues. Admittedly, it took us some time to get our heads around the new build, especially after having spent hundreds of hours finishing and assembling the original units, but we've been able to really refine both the components and the reliability of the whole assembly, ultimately benefiting both models and proving the reliability of the hardware.

## Fresh Firmware

It's not often as a software engineer one gets to start over completely and scrap the entirety of a previous version. Completely written and re-written from the ground up, we now have a solid new platform from which to build. I've already started back-porting the Controller Firmware to the HN-01 models, and expect to have a release in about a month as well. (Hang tight! The new code makes HN-01's just purr!)

## An Ideal Platform to Keep Building

We've been adding to our roadmap since before we even got started on the first prototype, but we're extremely focused on what you all (as a part of the community) would like to see or find valuable. Having a fresh and well-organized codebase allows us to implement new kick-ass features quickly and completely. Don't hesitate to let us know what you envision or would like to see, we'd love to talk about it and make it happen!

----> This Week <----

The next few days (through the weekend) for us will be spent updating, deploying, and putting a final coat of wax on each unit before packing them up and getting them in the mail. Tracking numbers will be hitting inboxes very soon. Look out for a demo video going up on YouTube now that we've finalized all the screens and documentation.

---

While I'm embarrassed to say my first post here on FC comes almost exactly two years after Hex-Nail's inception, I've been paying attention to this thread since the very start.

For a while, I've wanted to do a more-technical deep-dive on the various technology we're working with, and share both snippets of what we're working on now and have learned along the way. If there are any specifics you'd like me to cover, let me know and I'll try to include them in the first "Tech Talk" I'll be putting together :)

Cheers!
Liz

Top Bottom