Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

VaporScript

Yeah I've tried hard resetting a dozen times and still no luck.

I have been permanently stuck on this screen for the last 20 days - nothing clears it. Ava believes it is an issue with the SD card and I am waiting for her to send another. However, I really miss my HexNail! I am temporarily using a RDK-300, which I also really like but it is not the same as my Hexnail.

VaporScript,

Dr. Cannabinoid

I have been permanently stuck on this screen for the last 20 days - nothing clears it. Ava believes it is an issue with the SD card and I am waiting for her to send another. However, I really miss my HexNail! I am temporarily using a RDK-300, which I also really like but it is not the same as my Hexnail.
Well that's not what I wanted to hear.... Had to send back my first unit when i first received it, didn't even get to use it yet. Really hoping it can be fixed without having to send then unit back :/

Dr. Cannabinoid,

VaporScript

Well that's not what I wanted to hear.... Had to send back my first unit when i first received it, didn't even get to use it yet. Really hoping it can be fixed without having to send then unit back :/

It seems like you may be having the same issue I am having, and I do not want to speak for Ava as it may not be the same issue. But Ava gave me a choice of sending the unit back or having them send me a new SD card with instructions on how to open the unit up and exchange the SD card. (I offered to purchase another SD card and thought perhaps there might be a way to download the software to it some way. But Ava stated they need to send me a card with the software already on it.)

Btw, my unit had performed flawlessly over the last 7 months or so and I use it daily. I was surprised to have it suddenly "lock up" like this. I have no doubt Ava will get it corrected.

Edit: I found the best way to contact her was to message her privately on FC.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
VaporScript,

JigMelon

Hopefully Ava will chime in to confirm if this is just IP blocks. If so, I do have some suggestions.

1. Whitelist by MAC address; the issue is that people could theoretically change the MAC on their unit, but this wouldn't happen to a standard user.

2. Add a page where we can add a limited number of IP addresses to whitelist for the service, or even for our specific units

3. If a user-configurable "firewall" is implemented, it would also be nice to have an option to have it on deny by default (other than from localhost), and to require explicit whitelist entries. This will be good for any users intending on using their unit off of your server.

EDIT: @HexNailAva how "hackable" are the units, and do you encourage such tinkering? What would violate the warranty? I'm a Linux sysadmin and would very much like to dig around eventually

JigMelon,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I doubt it's IP blocks as the error specifies that it's the localhost that can't be contacted.

It looks like the unit runs a web browser that calls the app from a local web host.

It's more likely something is up with the local httpd service or a dependant service/file. Probably something like a corrupt file due to busted SD card block. But that's just my best guess assuming it's a standard http deamon.

If that's the case then your best bet is to send in for repair or if they are prepared to send out a new SD card and you are happy to open up the device to replace it.

GreenHopper,

JigMelon

I doubt it's IP blocks as the error specifies that it's the localhost that can't be contacted.

It looks like the unit runs a web browser that calls the app from a local web host.

It's more likely something is up with the local httpd service or a dependant service/file. Probably something like a corrupt file due to busted SD card block. But that's just my best guess assuming it's a standard http deamon.

Good catch; didn't notice.

@HexNailAva you should be using a hosts entry to map it to a domain, and add a self-signed cert (or certbot) to seal the deal.

Would really love to get access to a shell on the unit to explore. I'd like to get it on my own domain with SSL, and it'd be nice to keep an eye on resource utilization and service status (for example checking httpd status if this error occurs).

JigMelon,
Reactions: NSCocoa

JigMelon

Just put together my signature; I think I've hit my end game (until you get a tuning on that AH banger w/ the surrounding coil heh)

JigMelon,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Anyone having these issues consistently needs to message me if we aren't already in talks to fix it.

I can give you my phone number for texts so it's easier for us to communicate (and if you have it already, text me).

I talked about it awhile back a bit I think but essentially there's an issue imbedded in the code that we haven't been able to fix in the current v1.2.x software that causes the SD cards to store more information than it should, eventually causing the SD card to 'fail'. We didn't see the problem pop up for MONTHS after release (or in our initial testing) so we've kinda been chasing it since it started to pop up. To some extent, it has to do with how long your nail has been on in total.

We can send you a new one immediately and it should fix the issue / make your unit run smoother again.

This should NOT be an issue once we get the v2.0 software out to folks with Skynet units. OS/2 has been assembled from the ground up again and changes the way a few important things will work completely.

EDIT: My apologies for missing all this trouble the past few days on FC. I forget to check sometimes. I had a pretty severe knife slip over the weekend and 2 fingers on my right hand are splinted.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Do any current HN-01 owners awaiting the sexy, new HN-02 plan to sell their HN-01s? While some (many) of you might wonder why I would want the older model, I really just like its look and the idea of not needing a phone/tablet at my vape station. I'd happily pay for HN to give it a once-over and new SD card if needs be. But I kinda get the feeling most HN-01 lovers will probably hold on to theirs & just add the HN-02 to the arsenal. Am I looking at this wrong, or not understand why no screen on the unit is desirable or why an app interface will be superior? I'm not trying to be critical at all, just ignorant about all of this & need a veteran to break it down please?

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Do any current HN-01 owners awaiting the sexy, new HN-02 plan to sell their HN-01s? While some (many) of you might wonder why I would want the older model, I really just like its look and the idea of not needing a phone/tablet at my vape station. I'd happily pay for HN to give it a once-over and new SD card if needs be. But I kinda get the feeling most HN-01 lovers will probably hold on to theirs & just add the HN-02 to the arsenal. Am I looking at this wrong, or not understand why no screen on the unit is desirable or why an app interface will be superior? I'm not trying to be critical at all, just ignorant about all of this & need a veteran to break it down please?

I sent you a PM about a place that has two HN-01 units in stock.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
If I remember right Ava told that they will offer the HN-01 on demand in the future again. But first they have to complete the current HN-02 batches.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Wow @Been Vapin you really shocked me with your speedy response! Thank you so much for the PM and taking the time in general. Unfortunately, with Christmas fast approaching and my Black Friday purchases fresh in my wife's mind, to make a significant (any?) vape-related acquisition right now would be unwise. I can literally feel my self-preservation instinct kicking in. But you @Been Vapin are a super-cool FCer!

I have never owned a e-nail controller, but 2 of the best desktop units require one and the aesthetic of these beautiful devices is very appealing to me. I only became aware of them when I saw pictures by @Justpassedu and his lovely HN would be in the shot. Dang it @Justpassedu! Making me want stuff I didn't even know existed and don't currently need! Sorry man, I'm out of order. It isn't your fault I contracted a new strain of VAS. Not your fault you all have such kick-ass devices that are on the bleeding edge! *sigh*

Justpassedu

Wow @Been Vapin you really shocked me with your speedy response! Thank you so much for the PM and taking the time in general. Unfortunately, with Christmas fast approaching and my Black Friday purchases fresh in my wife's mind, to make a significant (any?) vape-related acquisition right now would be unwise. I can literally feel my self-preservation instinct kicking in. But you @Been Vapin are a super-cool FCer!

I have never owned a e-nail controller, but 2 of the best desktop units require one and the aesthetic of these beautiful devices is very appealing to me. I only became aware of them when I saw pictures by @Justpassedu and his lovely HN would be in the shot. Dang it @Justpassedu! Making me want stuff I didn't even know existed and don't currently need! Sorry man, I'm out of order. It isn't your fault I contracted a new strain of VAS. Not your fault you all have such kick-ass devices that are on the bleeding edge! *sigh*
Lol , I'm sorry man. It really is a great nail , what drew me to it was the fact it had a lcd screen and beautiful wood enclosure along with the support @HexNailAva provides. I admit now i am a bit nervous seeing issues pop up and hope since i have a HN-01 i do not have them as i hate to be without it or stranded with a non working nail. It sounds like it may happen to all HN-01's from being on to much and i like to keep my nail on for a few hours at a time. Either way they are amazing man and i think you'd really enjoy it. I can say it is the best or at least one of the best out on the market.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I'm glad you know how to take my rants. HN-01's SD card issue is only popping up now because they've been out in users' hands, being used long enough. It sucks but I don't see how anyone could test or predict for the failure. Maybe yours will be the exception to the rule and just keeps going! I thought it was super-cool of Ava to explain the logic behind the failure; not a lot of companies give their customers details: most would either clam up or spin it in an effort to cover their ass. Without sounding too corny (I hope), HN treats you guys like you're stakeholders and I find it remarkable.

The screen and enclosure grabbed me visually as well, displayed there at your vape station like a freakin' advertisement. Then I came here read the thread, and that third intangible quality popped out fairly quickly: the communication between Ava and HN customers. The way they deal with the inevitable setbacks that will occur when you're rolling out a new innovative product. The way that @HexNailAva communicates with transparency & honesty with y'all, it's incredibly rare and speaks to the integrity of these entrepreneurs. Then there's the whole American small manufacturing business that I absolutely love, so it ticks a lot of boxes for me. Plus it screams quality, it looks solid & sexy.

I would love to see user opinions to my following questions:
Since I'm in the UK, I only vaporize flower. Would you consider a HN (any version) to be overkill for me in terms of all of the features and the degree of control it offers? Is it designed and made primarily for the concentrate connoisseur? I would be using it with either Glass Symphony XLR or NewVape's Showerhead.

Top Bottom