Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Thanksgiving / Black Friday Update
[Sorry for the wait...again.]

We were involved in a Hit & Run this week that got us pretty shaken up the past couple days. Everyone is okay, car still drives but it needs some body work...

Anyway...we're expecting at least half the units to be ready-to-ship after the weekend.

Liz spent Saturday through Thursday awake and coding most of what we needed to soon release native apps for Android and iOS instead of our original WebApp plan. This will make everything, quicker, better, and cleaner in the long run where software is concerned.

We had to change a few last minute things about the LEDs [re: hardware], but everything is running smoothly now. We'll be posting some videos soon (and look below for new screens / mocks).

We're really excited to get these out to people and trust me...we could use a few days without working on them constantly, too.

We really hope that everyone is okay sticking with us a bit longer. As usual we've kinda been dealt a tough hand the past few months but we're not going anywhere.

We're almost ready to start fresh for 2018 and that's what we aim to do (with almost 100 happen new customers to boot).

Dab OS/2 will come to the HN-01 soon after we release these first Red Queens. There's some things we have to change but with the native apps more solidly in-place the conversion will be much easier as well (so hang in there if you're already part of the family, too).

Lastly...We've started taking reserve orders on Round 2 (and we added some extra reserve slots in honor of Black Friday). They're up now and there's 3 down already.

We wanted to be able to provide more of a heads up, but with the time-frame adjusted we just kinda...ran out of said time. The unit count has been doubled for this round to try and ensure folks who've been waiting all get their shot (but we'll be bringing in some extra help again and with way less software development to do we're not worried about it as much this time).

For anyone that may feel a bit of a sting from this (mainly our Round 1 folks) I promise you it's to keep the doors open, guys. Between our doctor's visits, rent, the medical expenses, and now the potential car repairs...Things are pretty tight hitting the end of the month. There are 30 reserve slots and 50 total. Reserve slots on Round 1 went in 12 hours. Same as before (50% down).

Thank you all again for your continued support and patience. Means the world to us (and has for almost 2 years now.

Round 2 will be shipping in mid-January (celebrating both our birthdays and the 2 year anniversary of the company all in the same month).

As always, please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns (but do be patient with us).

Oh...and we hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! It was more or less a normal day for us. :)

------

NNNpA6P.jpg

Dab OS/2 is coming!

l52OEDg.jpg

Quick 'Log' button layout. 'Edit Details' allows you to add Strain Type, Name, Notes, etc. but none of this is required if you just want to keep a basic log.

sW95XCK.jpg

Tunings can be changed, temporarily, saved permanently, or reset from either state to the 'factory' settings without the same hassles as before. Think your tuning beats ours? Give us the numbers are we'll check it out (and give you a little store credit if we decide to implement it in an update in the future).

unreCmq.jpg

Current Preset options are still there, but edit are much easier and quicker to make than before (and we've expanded some of these options). 4-point adjusts will come after release (but it's in the process of being implemented).

wihHANS.jpg

Info and options are fairly consolidated within the settings menu now. You can view the current changelogs from here as well.

pv8HGiy.jpg

Side bar menu & device select screens.

SOP8s7M.png

Sample of what 'saving' a log entry to your device will look like. You can save them or share them to your favorite social network if you'd like!

qqdceIC.png

And just for fun...a couple of mocks we whipped up last night.

xPuc7mK.jpg

Last edited:

Gn0sis

Oh...and here's some shots of these beauties in action (finally). Pretty lights. ;)

6Le0AqY.jpg

that LED is something I'd be able to turn off right? it's cool and all, but when I have the enail on at night, I'd probably find it distracting

Gn0sis,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Nice to see this thing making progress! I wish there was at least one assignable hot key on the device itself though. I wouldn't mind setting temp on my phone as long as I could say, trigger a glob mode without it.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Nice to see this thing making progress! I wish there was at least one assignable hot key on the device itself though. I wouldn't mind setting temp on my phone as long as I could say, trigger a glob mode without it.

I wonder if one (or more) of those bluetooth buttons could be paired with the HN-02?

I believe the HN-02 has bluetooth connectivity, that's what I was going to connect my smartWatch to when the functionality is made available (I know that's not going to happen for a while - long term goal).

Is DAB-OS 2.0 based on some variant of Linux? If so there is an SDK out for the Flic Button.

Obviously @HexNailAva / Liz would have to include the capability in their DAB-OS and provide a way to pair the button to a desired command but it might be something they would consider in future update? :shrug:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
I wonder if one (or more) of those bluetooth buttons could be paired with the HN-02?

I believe the HN-02 has bluetooth connectivity, that's what I was going to connect my smartWatch to when the functionality is made available (I know that's not going to happen for a while - long term goal).

Is DAB-OS 2.0 based on some variant of Linux? If so there is an SDK out for the Flic Button.

Obviously @HexNailAva / Liz would have to include the capability in their DAB-OS and provide a way to pair the button to a desired command but it might be something they would consider in future update? :shrug:

The soft button is one of my fav and woefully underutilized features of the Kube and id be excited to see Hex get an equivalent as on a headless unit, its invaluable.

The lights look awesome and to anyone wondering it would make zero sense to not have them be toggle able off and on.

If the web app is now either gone or on a back burner in favor of "native apps" HUGE thumbs down from me on that, your web interface is ROCK solid and Im EXTREMELY skeptical an "app app" will be the same, also I'm assuming this means using that 3rd party even more, i asked about them before but of course received no info/reply about, and means our data is going out in the wild again, seemingly unnecessarily (if I'm wrong about this I apologize, if I'm not, then wtf) The only new feature i see is dab logging? Im sure the "under the hood" is totally redone and is amazingly "better", although I've never once found it wanting other than more honest temp displays and actual real time reporting from the coil.....which if that hasn't been mentioned by now as being something thats specifically addressed i wouldn't hold my breath for any changes on that front.

Eagerly awaiting the rollout or barring that, more hype......

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
If the web app is now either gone or on a back burner in favor of "native apps" HUGE thumbs down from me on that, your web interface is ROCK solid and Im EXTREMELY skeptical an "app app" will be the same

... the main reason i pulled the trigger was because of the web interface rather than an app 'app'. this is a little disappointing, but in the end i hope its all its made out to be :D

buddingglasshead

... the main reason i pulled the trigger was because of the web interface rather than an app 'app'. this is a little disappointing, but in the end i hope its all its made out to be :D

I'm with you there. As long as the web app is still possible at all with RQ, I'll be happy. I don't mind if it takes forever to get updated, but the web app was the selling point for me. I'm literally always at my desk and controlling my enail from my web browser is literally perfect for me. I can't imagine a better way for me specifically to interface with anything. I'm always staring at this screen anyway. :freak:

Not a huge fan of apps. I wouldn't mind using one necessarily, but there'd be a lot of set up on my end for me to comfortable with it.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Don't worry guys. 'Instead of' was not the right language there. WebApp is still there and still the base of the build. We use it every day and a lot of our HN-01 customers use the WebApp regularly, too with the current build. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I wanted to answer a question I got in a PM publicly. In some of our recent changelogs we talk about HomeKit integration features being put in. This is definitely coming. One of the reasons the software build it taking more time is because we're building the framework for a lot of feature expansion. We're not stopping at 2.0...Not by a long shot.

Zanin

You should include a light for cleaning mode @ 250-300 degrees because dirty nails are not good to breath in, I tend to clean my insert on my liger banger v3 every dab.

Zanin,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
You should include a light for cleaning mode @ 250-300 degrees because dirty nails are not good to breath in, I tend to clean my insert on my liger banger v3 every dab.
Cleaning Mode has been expanded to enable Low Clean or High Clean. We just increased the temp. range so folks could do things like ISO cleaning and what not. :)

Also. Getting together the final RQ update for everyone now. Very good news coming in a few.

Cleaning Mode has been expanded to enable Low Clean or High Clean. We just increased the temp. range so folks could do things like ISO cleaning and what not. :)

Also. Getting together the final RQ update for everyone now. Very good news coming in a few.

Awesome - I use a setpoint at 295 for iso right now.

scalescliffs,

JigMelon

Would really appreciate if you could get back to me in the PM or email once you've gotten that out; I would like to make a new thermal purchase ASAP and need clarification before proceeding.

Everyone: Anyone tried using AH coils other than the custom Liger coil? I'm trying to decide if I should get a 30mm Liger (already have 16mm) or this:

https://www.theaugusthaus.com/product-page/xl-custom-coil-2-0

JigMelon,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Would really appreciate if you could get back to me in the PM or email once you've gotten that out; I would like to make a new thermal purchase ASAP and need clarification before proceeding.

Everyone: Anyone tried using AH coils other than the custom Liger coil? I'm trying to decide if I should get a 30mm Liger (already have 16mm) or this:

My apologies for not getting back to you...but as long as the pins are wired with the 'Standard' pin out we can handle the extra wattage that they call for (150w, IIRC) no problem. Anything beyond 150w will void your warranty unless 'supervised' by us in some way.

Pin Out: AC Load [1], AC Neutral [2], TC+ [3], TC - [4], Ground [5]

We have a few customer with the custom AH coils that are testing them now and we should have one in hand soon so we can add a 'Profile' for it to our Equipment selection list.

Right now we suggest using 30mm Flat tuning with no nail selected for these coils. We think that will offer the best performance for folks right now.

We'd LOVE to get one of the bangers in for testing and tuning, but we definitely can't afford one at the moment. We do have a 24mm Quartz Banger on hand we're hoping to profile and tune soon that will most likely work for most bangers.

EDIT: And just as an update for people wanting to get in on Round 2. There's 13 reserve slots left before we move to full price pre-orders.

JigMelon

No worries on the response; I know you two are critically busy. Thank you for the detailed info -- my questions are definitely answered!

I'd prefer the 30mm Liger w/ obsidian but the price is right on that 26mm banger haha

Speaking of the price being right.... Having a profile for that coil with that banger would probably help influence my decision (if I go with the 30 Liger for now) and that of others down the road.... I'd be willing to donate $20 to get one of these in your hands for that exact purpose. If others were willing to do the same and make a shared payment through PayPal, we can make this happen. $100, need 4 others who are willing to pitch in $20, I'll cover shipping if not included. @HexNailAva would you be accepting of such an effort?

JigMelon,
Reactions: Hogni

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
No worries on the response; I know you two are critically busy. Thank you for the detailed info -- my questions are definitely answered!

I'd prefer the 30mm Liger w/ obsidian but the price is right on that 26mm banger haha

Speaking of the price being right.... Having a profile for that coil with that banger would probably help influence my decision (if I go with the 30 Liger for now) and that of others down the road.... I'd be willing to donate $20 to get one of these in your hands for that exact purpose. If others were willing to do the same and make a shared payment through PayPal, we can make this happen. $100, need 4 others who are willing to pitch in $20, I'll cover shipping if not included. @HexNailAva would you be accepting of such an effort?
Wow. We're somewhat in shock that the community might be willing to do that for us!

We'd absolutely accept any help we can get to improve our product and getting a banger tuning has been getting requested more and more by long-time HN-01 customers as well. We think it'd go a long way to helping quite a few current and future customers since there are so many different options out there for nails now.

Expanding our tuning library will be a big focus in 2018 as we add more and more features to the app as well.

On another note:

FINAL PRE-SHIP RED QUEEN UPDATE
The update you’ve all been waiting for.

We are doing the final tests and burn-in on the first round of Red Queens over the weekend and plan to ship at least half the units early next week!

We really appreciate your patience on this one…but we promise it’ll be worth the wait. The extra time has allowed the app to come along quite a bit more than we planned for with our initial release window. We want to make sure that everything involving this device is as secure as it can be. One of our major concerns is the privacy of our customers (especially with sensitive information like this)…and we want to be sure every thing is locked down tight.

We’ve even secured a 100% private access URL for these devices / apps to run on that will ensure all communication back & forth will be seen as fairly ‘generic’ transmission as an extra privacy precaution.

We’ve also made efforts to reduce the amount of data that travels back and forth between the device and our servers. This will make the use of things like mobile hotspots possible for anyone wanting use their Hex-Nail (with all of the available features) on the go. This means there’s no worries if you decide to use ‘Mobile Hotspot’ devices / features with your Hex-Nail. We won’t be eating up all of your data.

Our new DabOS/2 software being released along side the Red Queens also lays a ton of framework for integrating your Hex-Nail into today’s various ‘Smart Home’ platforms. These features will be slowly integrated leading up to the shipment of Round 2 in January. Apple’s ‘HomeKit’ (Siri), Goole’s ‘Home’ Platform, Amazon’s ‘Alexa’ Platform, and more as time goes on. We want this to be a device that will integrate seamlessly into our customers lives and just become part of their digital universe. Some of these features are already being tested and we’re excited to pack them in once we start shipping.

[This software update & these features will be available for the HN-01 soon after shipments next week as well. We just have to tweak a few things in the code and finish the final UI layouts for everything. Fear not. If you own a Hex-Nail, you’ll always be up-to-date.]

We’ve been blessed with customers that understand the Hex-Nail will always be a work in progress, but this also means that no matter how far the industry takes us…we’ll be ready for it & our customers will reap the benefits.

We are confident that Hex-Nail will be the most comprehensive, cutting-edge platform in the industry for years to come and we aim to keep it that way. We love our customers and we’re 100% dedicated to keeping these devices as advanced as possible as new technologies enter market. Enabling our customers to stay on the cutting-edge without hassle or worries on their end.

We’ll be sending any remaining Reserve Slot invoices out once your unit is burned-in and ready to ship so if your Red Queen is not fully paid for yet expect to receive a PayPal invoice at some point within the next week.

Tracking numbers will only be provided once the unit has been dropped off at the post office to ensure there are no ‘false starts’. All units will be shipped via Priority Mail with tracking (meaning once it goes out it will only take 2 - 3 to reach our US customers).

Thank you again for all of your patience and support over the course of this first round of Red Queen units & the production of our app. We can’t wait to hear what you all think about it…because we really think it’s going to knock your socks off.

- Ava Madsen (CMO) & Elizabeth Camporeale (CTO)

XZWXBTv.jpg

Burn-in station getting set-up yesterday.

tlbfIxd.jpg

Our current 'Personal Test Bed' ;)

TateCfr.jpg

Finally getting y'all a shot of the back of these babies.

Wq0BnFx.jpg

Horizontal UI coming along nicely. If you swipe over the presets it switches to the graph display you all know and love.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

No contest, spend the money and get the Liger setup, basic quartz, even quartz that big is still old tech and if you're talking Hexnails, they deserve the appropriate pairing.

JigMelon

No contest, spend the money and get the Liger setup, basic quartz, even quartz that big is still old tech and if you're talking Hexnails, they deserve the appropriate pairing.

I pretty much came to the same conclusion a few minutes ago. I'm still interested in the AH option, but I'll wait on that until it has had some testing in the right hands. Grabbing the 30mm w/ obsidian now (EDIT: Done!). Speaking of the AH option....

Wow. We're somewhat in shock that the community might be willing to do that for us!

We'd absolutely accept any help we can get to improve our product and getting a banger tuning has been getting requested more and more by long-time HN-01 customers as well. We think it'd go a long way to helping quite a few current and future customers since there are so many different options out there for nails now.

Expanding our tuning library will be a big focus in 2018 as we add more and more features to the app as well.

I'm 100% in to help fund that specific product getting in your hands, and I would grab one from them after you've done some testing/tuning. Maybe the community should put together a vote, to determine what untested product(s) we would like to use on the HexNail eventually. Perhaps there's a more popular piece than the banger I posted, which more people would be willing to contribute towards.

Last edited:
JigMelon,
Top Bottom