Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

damm

I still haven't gotten tracking yet but I know I will. I am in what is technically round 1.5, I think. I missed the deadline by a couple days. Still though I hope I see an email with a number soon!
I'm disabled and my income is pretty limited; so I had to wait until all my bills were handled until ordering.
Still though, even with the wait; I consider myself fortunate to get in on the ground floor with a product like the HexNail. Totally dying over here with my new Liger all brand new and ready to use with it....

I'd like to think a number of us haven't gotten tracking numbers yet.

damm,

mutten840

Ok, as promised here is my initial review and pics of the Hex Nail

First off there is nothing remotely close to the level of sexy this thing brings with the selection of woods and the finish detail. It is a sexy little wooden box of wonders. They are still working on instructions and so the first of us will have to fill in the blanks as needed since these things have several levels of settings to go through. But size wise it is much smaller than I expected and I find that a good thing. It is roughly 6.5 x 4.5 x 2 inches big and has all connections on the back and are easy to access. The touchscreen is a decent size and is smooth as butter when using a stylus. It was a bit touchy for my large fingers, but Ava told me they will be adjusting the screen in the next update and it would work much better with my hands =). I have to just stop for a moment and savor the fact that this unit is software updatable over wifi. No sending it in or wishing you waited to buy to get the better software. This shit is epic purely for that alone. knowing I can update this to improve my experience on a regular basis is a HUGE feature in my opinion. This just shows proof this is not the same old pony dressed up to be something else. It is actually different and we will reap the rewards of every update as it will only make these that much better. (Thanks Ava and Liz!!!!)

Now back to the review.

I have an Auber and also a homebrew controller that uses the Omron controllers and I ran them at
580 for the 30mm with sapphire insert
570 for the 20mm with sapphire insert

I have only setup my 20mm with the unit and have been dabbing in the 510 to 540 range and absolutely loving it.
The dabs feel bigger and still feel like they have the expected smooth feel as one would expect with low temp dabs. and if you want a kick in the ass. Setup a Glob mode. It will really do it to you. I set one up for 10 degrees hotter for 20 seconds and it is great for feeding a little extra into the liger or just getting an extra blast to your dab. But it def does not give the same feel of dab as what we have gotten used to. I am really enjoying it and have gotten really baked while messing with it and I am not a light weight. So for me this was a big "Holy Shit" moment as it is not often I have to sit down after a dab. The first and later the second, both made me sit down and enjoy the long forgotten level of baked-ness we all used to reach. Ava has also told me the majority of the tuning has been done on the 30mm bucket and it would work even better. So I promise to test it out and report back.

You can see it is not much larger than the Auber RDK 300 on the left side:

Blood Wood finish up close:

Coils and power cables that ship with the units:
(Note that I have 2 coils and cables as I am waiting on my second unit and they shipped the cables ahead of time)

When you first turn it on, it will take a few minutes before anything happens. This is normal and even though I knew it was expected. I still got paranoid after a minute. But it will just magically come to life after a few and that's where the fun begins

Below is what I have pieced together or made up to help fill in the blanks until they have the instructions completed (Yup I said made up and @HexNailAva will correct where needed)

The main screen:

In the above screen you can see there is a lot going on. Here is what I have sorted out so far

Upper middle:

This is the settings menu and will take you to an assortment of settings from what you see on the main screen. To settong up multiple user accounts (Incase you want a few users with different pre sets and such)
To updating the software and adjusting the pre set buttons on the main screen and even connecting to your home network

The Pre set buttons on the main menu:

The pre set buttons can be setup and adjusted under the menu and are broken out into 3 options (Temps, Glob mode, Clean mode)

When selecting one of the pre set lines it will expand and you can select one of the the sub selections to make that appear on the main screen. In the below pic you can see I have one Glob mode button setup and the rest are temps. You could also setup a clean cycle if you wanted as one of the pre sets.

Upper Right:

This is the Coil temp you have selected. You can touch the temp on the screen and it will open a menu to adjust the coil temp on the fly instead of using a pre set button

Middle of the screen:
In the middle you can see there is a button that shows "Coil on" You can simply touch this to turn just the coil off and still leave the unit on (Love this)
it will also show the realtime temp of the coil as it goes up and down in temp to keep the nail at proper temp.
Lastly at the bottom you can see a percentage of 17%. This is a setting in the menu you can turn on called "Duty Cycle" This will show the power being ramped up and down for the coil as it uses electricity. It is kind of cool to see how it adjusts while taking a dab or when the coil was cold and then turned on.

Bottom left corner:

This is where your presets live. You can turn them off in the menu if you just want to roll comando and set it from the main screen. But you can see I have several different temps pre set and in the top left corner, I have setup a Glob pre set that is 10 degrees hotter for 20 seconds. But can be set to anything you want

Bottom Middle:

The sync looking button is where you will find the settings for the Liger and all its glorious versions

As you can see I have the 20mm barrel selected and the Liger V3 20mm for Sapphire selected.

Bottom Right:

This is the nail temp and not the coil temp. So this should be the closest temp to what your dabbing at in the nail

I apologize for the sideways pics and Please correct anything I got wrong @HexNailAva :science:

Kalikron

First off there is nothing remotely close to the level of sexy this thing brings with the selection of woods and the finish detail. It is a sexy little wooden box of wonders. They are still working on instructions and so the first of us will have to fill in the blanks as needed since these things have several levels of settings to go through. But size wise it is much smaller than I expected and I find that a good thing. It is roughly 6.5 x 4.5 x 2 inches big and has all connections on the back and are easy to access. The touchscreen is a decent size and is smooth as butter when using a stylus. It was a bit touchy for my large fingers, but Ava told me they will be adjusting the screen in the next update and it would work much better with my hands =). I have to just stop for a moment and savor the fact that this unit is software updatable over wifi. No sending it in or wishing you waited to buy to get the better software. This shit is epic purely for that alone. knowing I can update this to improve my experience on a regular basis is a HUGE feature in my opinion. This just shows proof this is not the same old pony dressed up to be something else. It is actually different and we will reap the rewards of every update as it will only make these that much better. (Thanks Ava and Liz!!!!)

Now back to the review.

I have an Auber and also a homebrew controller that uses the Omron controllers and I ran them at

I have only setup my 20mm with the unit and have been dabbing in the 510 to 540 range and absolutely loving it.
The dabs feel bigger and still feel like they have the expected smooth feel as one would expect with low temp dabs. and if you want a kick in the ass. Setup a Glob mode. It will really do it to you. I set one up for 10 degrees hotter for 20 seconds and it is great for feeding a little extra into the liger or just getting an extra blast to your dab. But it def does not give the same feel of dab as what we have gotten used to. I am really enjoying it and have gotten really baked while messing with it and I am not a light weight. So for me this was a big "Holy Shit" moment as it is not often I have to sit down after a dab. The first and later the second, both made me sit down and enjoy the long forgotten level of baked-ness we all used to reach. Ava has also told me the majority of the tuning has been done on the 30mm bucket and it would work even better. So I promise to test it out and report back.

(Note that I have 2 coils and cables as I am waiting on my second unit and they shipped the cables ahead of time)

When you first turn it on, it will take a few minutes before anything happens. This is normal and even though I knew it was expected. I still got paranoid after a minute. But it will just magically come to life after a few and that's where the fun begins

Below is what I have pieced together or made up to help fill in the blanks until they have the instructions completed (Yup I said made up and @HexNailAva will correct where needed)

The main screen:

In the above screen you can see there is a lot going on. Here is what I have sorted out so far

Upper middle:

This is the settings menu and will take you to an assortment of settings from what you see on the main screen. To settong up multiple user accounts (Incase you want a few users with different pre sets and such)
To updating the software and adjusting the pre set buttons on the main screen and even connecting to your home network

The pre set buttons can be setup and adjusted under the menu and are broken out into 3 options (Temps, Glob mode, Clean mode)

When selecting one of the pre set lines it will expand and you can select one of the the sub selections to make that appear on the main screen. In the below pic you can see I have one Glob mode button setup and the rest are temps. You could also setup a clean cycle if you wanted as one of the pre sets.

Upper Right:

This is the Coil temp you have selected. You can touch the temp on the screen and it will open a menu to adjust the coil temp on the fly instead of using a pre set button

Middle of the screen:
In the middle you can see there is a button that shows "Coil on" You can simply touch this to turn just the coil off and still leave the unit on (Love this)
it will also show the realtime temp of the coil as it goes up and down in temp to keep the nail at proper temp.
Lastly at the bottom you can see a percentage of 17%. This is a setting in the menu you can turn on called "Duty Cycle" This will show the power being ramped up and down for the coil as it uses electricity. It is kind of cool to see how it adjusts while taking a dab or when the coil was cold and then turned on.

Bottom left corner:

This is where your presets live. You can turn them off in the menu if you just want to roll comando and set it from the main screen. But you can see I have several different temps pre set and in the top left corner, I have setup a Glob pre set that is 10 degrees hotter for 20 seconds. But can be set to anything you want

Bottom Middle:

The sync looking button is where you will find the settings for the Liger and all its glorious versions

As you can see I have the 20mm barrel selected and the Liger V3 20mm for Sapphire selected.

Bottom Right:

This is the nail temp and not the coil temp. So this should be the closest temp to what your dabbing at in the nail

I apologize for the sideways pics and Please correct anything I got wrong @HexNailAva :science:
Thanks for the awesome and detailed breakdown of the UI and performance reviews @mutten840! It's much appreciated and alleviated a tad of my HexNail anxiety/anticipation....

Monsoon

Now back to the review.

The main screen:

Upper middle:

Upper Right:

Middle of the screen:

Bottom left corner:

Bottom Middle:

Bottom Right:

*shits pants*

I was all patient before but now I'm super looking forward to getting it. Once the UI and features are polished I see this being a big competitor on the e-nail market. I'm honestly wondering if/how D-nail can top this in their upcoming revision.

Could you do me a favour and take a pic of the back of the unit with the cord detached? I want to order an angled power cable for propping the unit up at an angle and need to make sure I order the right orientation.

@HexNailAva It cleared customs in my hometown and I'll have it in my hands on Monday!

mutten840

@Monsoon Here are the pics you requested :rockon:

First screen you will see once the unit has been on for a few. Remember it will initially be blank for a minute or 2 and this is normal

Back of unit with it standing up to show jacks

Unit sitting on top of cabinet to show room between plugs and the cabinet

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
@PoopMachine yes!!! I am loving that. Just push the button in the middle of the screen and the coil goes to sleep, but the unit stays on :rockon:
Just wanna letcha know you've been making my job easier while I...continue to do it (UI guide wise). :lol:

One note I'll make is that the configuration of the jacks is different on some of the units here and there. We had a few different patterns for the backs to try to make sure we mounted the jacks in the hardest parts of the wood we were milling at the time.

Monsoon

Just wanna letcha know you've been making my job easier while I...continue to do it (UI guide wise). :lol:

One note I'll make is that the configuration of the jacks is different on some of the units here and there. We had a few different patterns for the backs to try to make sure we mounted the jacks in the hardest parts of the wood we were milling at the time.
Cool, won't order anything until I get mine to be sure.

Monsoon,
Reactions: NSCocoa

mutten840

@herbivore21 I wanted to circle back and shoot you a shot of the networking settings so you could see there is an off setting to disable it. I know this was a big one for you and thought it might interest you since we did not know if it would have this feature or not :rockon:

Still just getting crushed by the dabs I am taking at 525. And I had to mellow out on Glob mode as it was putting the major hurt on me. Its like turbo mode for dabs :science:

herbivore21

@herbivore21 I wanted to circle back and shoot you a shot of the networking settings so you could see there is an off setting to disable it. I know this was a big one for you and thought it might interest you since we did not know if it would have this feature or not :rockon:

Still just getting crushed by the dabs I am taking at 525. And I had to mellow out on Glob mode as it was putting the major hurt on me. Its like turbo mode for dabs :science:
Oh man this is great news! Does the unit have bluetooth at all, and if so can it be turned and left off during operation?

herbivore21,

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@herbivore21 May be its a stupid question but why are you asking for BT? What do you intend to do with it? As a connection to your phone/tablett/pc or what else?

Hogni,

mutten840

@herbivore21 i honestly feel like any nail you use with the hexnail is gonna shine. Especially at low temps. Now that you know the network part is locked down. When you gonna order one? :rockon:

I truly do think you would love the smooth large low temp dabs this thing gives. Glob mode is a fancy up temp that you can completely customize and it is pure delight bud

herbivore21

@herbivore21 i honestly feel like any nail you use with the hexnail is gonna shine. Especially at low temps. Now that you know the network part is locked down. When you gonna order one? :rockon:

I truly do think you would love the smooth large low temp dabs this thing gives. Glob mode is a fancy up temp that you can completely customize and it is pure delight bud
I really wanna see the Hex-nail folks get the other D-nail halos into the presets. The SiC and Sapphire Halos are the only ones I use, despite owning all of them! To only include quartz to me seems really limiting. A premium enail controller needs to work just as well with all of my premium enails ;)

It sounds like it's going to be great for my purposes though, I look forward to getting a chance to see :)

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
I really wanna see the Hex-nail folks get the other D-nail halos into the presets. The SiC and Sapphire Halos are the only ones I use, despite owning all of them! To only include quartz to me seems really limiting. A premium enail controller needs to work just as well with all of my premium enails ;)

It sounds like it's going to be great for my purposes though, I look forward to getting a chance to see :)
We're definitely looking into it as soon as possible. We've already had another few requests for SiC. Quartz is simply all we've had access to so far (thanks to a loaner from @mutten840 ). There's refining to do on that tuning still, too.

We have to actually have the nail here to tune it. We aren't using a general offset for material difference so as soon as we can get our hands on it we'll be workin' on it. :)

Glad to see we're tempting you more and more though. Heh. ;)

mutten840

I would just like to end the night saying I just did a dab at 510 and it was flavor town and utterly crushed me

Left me feeling like this
D9E1B3F5-7CD1-4737-8DEB-F086783985E9.jpg

mutten840

So I setup the 30mm bucket today with the Hex Nail and holy crap it is insane how good it works. All I had to do was plug the coil in and select the preset for the 30mm with Sapphire. The unit did the rest. Within a few minutes, I was up to temp and dabbing. I feel like the 30mm bucket shows its true potential when used with a Hex Nail. My temp was set to 510 and showed the nail temp at 375 and I choked off of it, while still riding the flavor train. These units are straight up game changers in a big way:rockon:

I am now feeling like the 30mm might be better than the 20 when paired with a Hex Nail. I cannot believe I am saying it, but there it is :science:
The 30mm is gonna put in some work today and I will make sure to report back on how it handles the onslaught of dabs I am gonna throw at it. While also turning the temp down to find the lowest temp for a tasty dab. Still cannot believe I did a dab at 510 with the 30mm bucket and it was massive with flavor:love:

mutten840

@alittledabwilldoya I was using a home brew dual controller I made using Omron controllers and an Auber RDK 300. The lowest I was ever able to go on either was

20mm using sapphire insert: 560 to 580
30mm using sapphire insert: 570 to 580

When I went below I would have mixed results of the flavor not being so good or the concentrates pooling and not vaping very well.
I am using my coils still that I was using for the above temps and they are working great with this unit and I am now running the below when using the Hex Nail

20mm using sapphire insert: 510 to 530
30mm using sapphire insert: xxx to 510 (I am going to see how low I can go with this today)

I did my last dab on my Auber and home brew setups the morning after I got the Hex Nail and don't see them coming back from retirement anytime soon :rockon:

The biggest thing so far I keep seeing with the Hex Nail is the smooth, large dabs you get off of it. Even when my temps were on the hot side. It was not as hot of a feel on the back of my throat as what I would get from my old controllers. It is much smoother and holds its temp much better so you end up getting a better more even dab. I cannot wait for others to report in once they get their units as I am completely satisfied with my purchase and also feel like the Ligers really show their true potential, when paired with the Hex Nail. Thank you @HexNailAva !!!!!

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
@alittledabwilldoya I was using a home brew dual controller I made using Omron controllers and an Auber RDK 300. The lowest I was ever able to go on either was

20mm using sapphire insert: 560 to 580
30mm using sapphire insert: 570 to 580

When I went below I would have mixed results of the flavor not being so good or the concentrates pooling and not vaping very well.
I am using my coils still that I was using for the above temps and they are working great with this unit and I am now running the below when using the Hex Nail

20mm using sapphire insert: 510 to 530
30mm using sapphire insert: xxx to 510 (I am going to see how low I can go with this today)

I did my last dab on my Auber and home brew setups the morning after I got the Hex Nail and don't see them coming back from retirement anytime soon :rockon:

The biggest thing so far I keep seeing with the Hex Nail is the smooth, large dabs you get off of it. Even when my temps were on the hot side. It was not as hot of a feel on the back of my throat as what I would get from my old controllers. It is much smoother and holds its temp much better so you end up getting a better more even dab. I cannot wait for others to report in once they get their units as I am completely satisfied with my purchase and also feel like the Ligers really show their true potential, when paired with the Hex Nail. Thank you @HexNailAva !!!!!
Sitting here soldering and I check in and find this. tbh we're both genuinely humbled by your love of the HN-01. Finally seeing some customer feedback (now that we're actually getting units out...slowly but surely) on this project is kinda forcing me to take a moment.

I really hope everyone else is this pleased with the dabbing experience. We're smoothing the edges and putting in the features...but the best dab is always the winner. We haven't had any heavy hitter PIDs to test against so there's always a bit of anxiety there but it's really cool to see some comparisons. Can't wait for more.

:love:

*creeps back to the dimly lit soldering station*

Last edited:

mutten840

So here is where I settled in for each coil at what I felt was the happy lowest temp for flavor and size of hit. I cannot tell you how many dabs I did to settle in on these temps. I started up where I had been on my old controllers and in the end after many dabs. I came up with the below as my current proffered temps.

I have not tried my SiC inserts yet, but promise to break them out and see where their gravy zone is and promise to report back once I have completed many rounds of testing (Sounds better than saying I am gonna get really baked in the name of testing)

20mm with Sapphire insert:
Unit was setup with the presets and then I set the coil to 480
Coil set temp: 480
Temp shown as actual temp of coil: 512 (This was an average that moved a few degrees up and down regularly)
Nail temp shown: 418 (Same as the above. This was the average temp shown)

30mm with sapphire insert:
Unit was setup with the presets and then I set the coil to 450
Coil set temp: 450
Temp shown as actual temp of coil: 473 (This was an average that moved a few degrees up and down regularly)
Nail temp shown: 343 (Same as the above. This was the average temp shown)

I also noticed it took some time for the unit to properly saturate the nail and once this was reached. The above worked as expected.

For the 20mm coil. @herbivore21 had called out about setting the coil with arm at the top instead of the bottom. I did this and also made sure I had a solid fit with the coil to achieve the above temps on the 20mm. If you have a working 20mm coil already setup on your Liger. Give it a try and compare against the new coil you get with the Hex Nail. initially I thought my coil was not working correctly. But in the end it was a matter of adjusting the above and once done. The temps worked and held as expected. The other coil I used to compare against was a Dnail Extended life 20mm coil.

For the 30mm coil. It is as it always has been. Make sure the coil is good and snug and you should be set. Also the 30mm worked much much better than I could of ever expected. I think this is due to @HexNailAva favoring the 30mm and so it really does shine with the Hex nail and as you can see. The temps worked much better and so I was able to achieve some really nice dabs at a 30 degree lower difference than the 20mm. But I know this will also get tuned and patched in future updates, so it also works as good as the 30mm now does.

If you recall I was one of the first to state I ended up preferring the 20 over the 30. Now the tables have turned and I am a loving the 30mm when paired with the Hex Nail. I just want to do dabs in the big sexy dish. Is that bad that I am honest? :love:

For the few getting these tomorrow. Make sure to use the pre sets for the Liger and remember it takes a few to properly saturate the nail with the selected temp.

That is all I have for you all and I hope it helps shorten the learning curve for the others getting baptized into the Hex Nail family (Come to the dark side, you know you want to):rockon:

herbivore21

So here is where I settled in for each coil at what I felt was the happy lowest temp for flavor and size of hit. I cannot tell you how many dabs I did to settle in on these temps. I started up where I had been on my old controllers and in the end after many dabs. I came up with the below as my current proffered temps.

I have not tried my SiC inserts yet, but promise to break them out and see where their gravy zone is and promise to report back once I have completed many rounds of testing (Sounds better than saying I am gonna get really baked in the name of testing)

20mm with Sapphire insert:
Unit was setup with the presets and then I set the coil to 480
Coil set temp: 480
Temp shown as actual temp of coil: 512 (This was an average that moved a few degrees up and down regularly)
Nail temp shown: 418 (Same as the above. This was the average temp shown)

30mm with sapphire insert:
Unit was setup with the presets and then I set the coil to 450
Coil set temp: 450
Temp shown as actual temp of coil: 473 (This was an average that moved a few degrees up and down regularly)
Nail temp shown: 343 (Same as the above. This was the average temp shown)

I also noticed it took some time for the unit to properly saturate the nail and once this was reached. The above worked as expected.

For the 20mm coil. @herbivore21 had called out about setting the coil with arm at the top instead of the bottom. I did this and also made sure I had a solid fit with the coil to achieve the above temps on the 20mm. If you have a working 20mm coil already setup on your Liger. Give it a try and compare against the new coil you get with the Hex Nail. initially I thought my coil was not working correctly. But in the end it was a matter of adjusting the above and once done. The temps worked and held as expected. The other coil I used to compare against was a Dnail Extended life 20mm coil.

For the 30mm coil. It is as it always has been. Make sure the coil is good and snug and you should be set. Also the 30mm worked much much better than I could of ever expected. I think this is due to @HexNailAva favoring the 30mm and so it really does shine with the Hex nail and as you can see. The temps worked much better and so I was able to achieve some really nice dabs at a 30 degree lower difference than the 20mm. But I know this will also get tuned and patched in future updates, so it also works as good as the 30mm now does.

If you recall I was one of the first to state I ended up preferring the 20 over the 30. Now the tables have turned and I am a loving the 30mm when paired with the Hex Nail. I just want to do dabs in the big sexy dish. Is that bad that I am honest? :love:

For the few getting these tomorrow. Make sure to use the pre sets for the Liger and remember it takes a few to properly saturate the nail with the selected temp.

That is all I have for you all and I hope it helps shorten the learning curve for the others getting baptized into the Hex Nail family (Come to the dark side, you know you want to):rockon:
Great stuff man! I was not actually the one to raise that point about the 20mm coil btw bro, I don't use barrel coils at all and don't own any ;)

I will definitely be looking to buy myself a hex-nail unless d-nail come out with a better option before the hex-nail is available to order and ship lol

I won't be pre-ordering, as my days of pre-ordering anything are well and truly done. I will only buy products that ship when I pay for them these days, and any delay beyond a day or two to ship out of the warehouse will result in my prompt screaming for a refund. I have recently been fucked in an uncomfortable place by too many popular vendors around here (without naming names and obviously not Hex-nail lol) who took far too long to give me what I paid for and I am firmly decided that this will not happen again :lol:

I am also likely to hold off on the hex-nail until it works with all of my high end nails (sapphire and SiC halo presets are required for my purposes!).

With all of this being said, I have so far been impressed by the communication and customer service ethic I've seen from the Hex-nail folks and I would love to give them my money when the time comes :D

Top Bottom