• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

Justpassedu

HN-01s should be ok because a functional sw image (the .10 version) is basically in the wild, it most likely requires physically swapping the sdcard, crappy for sure but at least its a way to keep them running.

The Queens on the other hand, until they add the proper hot spot mode, seem to be in a limbo state.
Ty , so how would 1 obtain a .10 version Sd card ?

SilentJ

Very disappointing, I also have a Red Queen (round 2), and I purchased with the expectation that the software, tunings, etc. would continue to improve over time. "Lifetime of free updates"

From my discussion with the new owner there wasn’t any reason to think that he is going to toss the old codebase. It sounded more like they were going to release a new hardware platform to address issues and add BT support. This to me sounded like they’d take the existing code and adapt it to the new platform so should have all the features that have been built in already. It’d honestly be pretty stupid to get rid of that at this point.

JigMelon

I'm more concerned about the possibility of them discontinuing support of the hn-02. Regarding the local hotspot, if they open source everything I can make it happen, which seems much less likely now than previously. They really should get someone in here for damage control; until we hear otherwise I'm assuming the worst.

JigMelon

"yes we are pushing the update forward. Our goal is to have all updates released August for all prior units. The new line of nails we are releasing in August will be full app bluetooth control."

This is good but I'm still waiting to hear about CONTINUED support of the HN-02. If they drop support once they launch the new units, I really hope they open source the old ones.

Also, someone who is in contact with them, please ask them to make a goddamn CNAME record pointing hex-nail.com to hexnail.com, or add a redirect.

My DM to hexnail about my HN02 that went in for service after working for about three weeks is read and unanswered. No response to website inquiry. Has only been a few days but seems like more of the same. I just hope I get my HN02 back. Should have never sent it in.

scalescliffs,

SilentJ

My DM to hexnail about my HN02 that went in for service after working for about three weeks is read and unanswered. No response to website inquiry. Has only been a few days but seems like more of the same. I just hope I get my HN02 back. Should have never sent it in.
Call the number on the site. The new owner has been pretty good about answering.

Baron23

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but somebody has to be the one. I’m going to preface this with this information not being official from the owner and based off memory. I am not a representative, etc, of Hex-Nail or anything. I just got some information that I feel many in here would like to know regarding the state of HN. I’ll share the bad news first and then some hopefully good.

After leaving a message through the form on the site I decided to call the number provided on my lunch break today to see if I could get any information about my order. Surprisingly I almost immediately got the new owner. I believe his name was Chris or Brandon, I can’t recall for sure as I’m terrible with names. After providing him with my order information he gave me a run down of what the state of things were and what was going on with my order. I received approval from him to give an update post here for everybody.

To make things as easy to understand as possible, “the previous owners” ran through their available capital due to various events/incidents (car crash, etc). They continued to take orders in the hope they could catch up but were unable to make it work. Because of this they have decided to sell off majority share of the company to Team Rosin. They are still employed as programmer and assembly but they are under NDA and not allowed to communicate representing the company any longer. The recent update from Ava was apparently unauthorized. Hex-Nail and Team Rosin are being ran as separate entities, thus any inquiries need to be sent directly to Hex-Nail with their provided form or phone number per the new owner. Due to the lack of capital there is little expectation of receiving the units that have been ordered. The new owner has advised that if you are within the 6 month refund period with PayPal to try and get your money back that way as that is still going through the old owners. If you are outside that, he said to contact him and he’ll work with you directly to set things right.

On a good note, he did state that he has been provided the final code to fix many of the bugs and mentioned releasing it next week. Hopefully that should address the bugs for the existing units out there. For those that haven’t received a unit but still want one, he stated he was working to release a revamped Red Queen in Aug and SkyNet in Sept. he mentioned something about it supporting Bluetooth so I’m not sure if it’s going to a SOC like the KubeOne uses or what. It did sound like it’d be using a different code base than the existing units.

I know this is probably not what people want to hear but it’s the truth. If you have an existing order, contact them via the form or phone. Please be respectful and courteous, the new owner was extremely nice in being so forthcoming with information. It sounded like he is wanting to try and make things right and make people happy but it’s going to take time. Getting a refund, if possible, and then buying a unit when the new revisions are released sounds like the best path forward. If you’re outside the refund period with PayPal I hope the new owner can work something out with you.
So, I'm not quite understanding this....new guy is at least the majority owner of Hex-nail. So, generally when you buy a company, you get its assets AND its liabilities so why is he saying he's abandoning current backlogged orders ("Due to the lack of capital there is little expectation of receiving the units that have been ordered.")

If he merely bought the IP from Hex-nail, that would be different....that is, Hex going bankrupt and selling off what assets they have (which is pretty much just IP) which should be distributed to their creditors.

No sure I'm understanding this at all.

As far as the ladies of Hex-nail....while they seemed like really nice people, it also seemed that their life was a complete hot mess with one disaster or setback after another. I wish them well, but frankly they fucked this up and at $600 each, a lot of other people are probably going to be fucked also.

Last edited:

Likes2vape

So, I'm not quite understanding this....new guy is at least the majority owner of Hex-nail. So, generally when you buy a company, you get its assets AND its liabilities so why is he saying he's abandoning current backlogged orders ("Due to the lack of capital there is little expectation of receiving the units that have been ordered."

If he merely bought the IP from Hex-nail, that would be different....that is, Hex going bankrupt and selling off what assets they have (which is pretty much just IP) which should be distributed to their creditors.

As far as the ladies of Hex-nail....while they seemed like really nice people, it also seemed that their life was a complete hot mess with one disaster or setback after another. I wish them well, but frankly they fucked this up and at $600 each, a lot of other people are probably going to be fucked also.
Yes that is how it works in the real business world but the cannabis business world seems to operate on its own set of ass backwards rules!

SilentJ

"yes we are pushing the update forward. Our goal is to have all updates released August for all prior units. The new line of nails we are releasing in August will be full app bluetooth control."

This aligns with what he told me on the phone. I’m not sure but it sounded like they were possibly getting rid of WiFi for Bluetooth, not quite sure. I could be wrong and I certainly hope I am as I want a WiFi connected device for HomeKit.

So, I'm not quite understanding this....new guy is at least the majority owner of Hex-nail. So, generally when you buy a company, you get its assets AND its liabilities so why is he saying he's abandoning current backlogged orders ("Due to the lack of capital there is little expectation of receiving the units that have been ordered."

The way I understood it was that it was basically better for me in the long run to just get a refund for my unit and buy it when they are re-released in a few months for a more reasonable cost. If you’re unable to get a refund he will work with you to make you whole from everything that has been communicated.

SilentJ,
Reactions: Baron23

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
This aligns with what he told me on the phone. I’m not sure but it sounded like they were possibly getting rid of WiFi for Bluetooth, not quite sure. I could be wrong and I certainly hope I am as I want a WiFi connected device for HomeKit.

The way I understood it was that it was basically better for me in the long run to just get a refund for my unit and buy it when they are re-released in a few months for a more reasonable cost. If you’re unable to get a refund he will work with you to make you whole from everything that has been communicated.

Where was "more reasonable cost" mentioned?

IMO $300 for a Queen is a steal......if it does everything its supposed to

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit

$300 was the regular asking price for the HN-02s afaik. That's what I paid in round 1 and pretty sure it stayed there.

The HN-01s with the touch screens were the more expensive ones, and it's pretty easy to see why.

I guess if they're lowering it, that's incentive for new people though? Or just to retain those who are getting fucked...

At $300 though, it also came with a coil... I think that's a pretty sweet deal
..if it does everything its supposed to

So ya, I guess all I really want is the app to be updated and more stable. Other than that mine sees daily use if I'm being honest. It is a bit of a pain in the ass and even the things that ARE available to use definitely do not work seamlessly. But when I have my settings where they are supposed to be, it's wonderful as far as the actual dab experience.

If I'm able to get bluetooth on my unit if/when they release it, that'd be absolutely dope, since I don't think that was originally advertised.

However, if HN-02.5s will be the only ones with bluetooth, I may be a little salty. Not sure if it's a matter of hardware or just coding.

Last edited:

SilentJ

Where was "more reasonable cost" mentioned?

This is just a guess on my part. I’d assume that when the SkyNet goes back on sale it would go on sale at the regular price it used to be at instead of the increased “custom” price. That’s totally a guess on my part though. The owner did mention he would try and make it worthwhile to purchase the newer versions for those of us that were screwed.

SilentJ,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Im 99% certain the Skynet SOC does not have BT and Im 100% certain the Queen does not also so it will definitely be a hardware revision to get BT going. I do not at all want to goto a full BT setup, don't get me wrong I LOVE my Kube and how it works but I wish it had the option also..... wifi has many advantages (again assuming it functions properly) I also do not want to go full app and lose the web interface, I don't want to have to rely on any software beyond a web browser to control the unit, more options are fine, but losing the web interface would IMO be a bad idea. IMO the poor wifi on the Queens SOC, (many known wifi issues posted on SBC boards regarding this particular SOC) is a contributing factor to the issues many Queen users are having with networking and getting the control to function properly, I believe this is a large reason behind the hardware revision as the current Queens build and materials are pretty much perfect....again, minus the wifi issues. I don't really ever see a Skynet unit, at least as they currently exist, lowering in price too much from $600, the physical build on it is far, FAR too involved, IMO and Im pretty sure the Hex girls stated as much, that the 01 units are totally unsustainable as a sole product and at the lower ~$400ish price point. As far as the .10 image goes for Skynet units, I have an SD card the girls sent with a working state software build to load into my original Skynet unit after it grenaded itself finally, I can prolly make an ISO or whatever and upload it somewhere, I also now other users may already have a direct image they could possibly link to also.

SilentJ

Im 99% certain the Skynet SOC does not have BT and Im 100% certain the Queen does not also so it will definitely be a hardware revision to get BT going. I do not at all want to goto a full BT setup, don't get me wrong I LOVE my Kube and how it works but I wish it had the option also..... wifi has many advantages (again assuming it functions properly) I also do not want to go full app and lose the web interface, I don't want to have to rely on any software beyond a web browser to control the unit, more options are fine, but losing the web interface would IMO be a bad idea. IMO the poor wifi on the Queens SOC, (many known wifi issues posted on SBC boards regarding this particular SOC) is a contributing factor to the issues many Queen users are having with networking and getting the control to function properly, I believe this is a large reason behind the hardware revision as the current Queens build and materials are pretty much perfect....again, minus the wifi issues. I don't really ever see a Skynet unit, at least as they currently exist, lowering in price too much from $600, the physical build on it is far, FAR too involved, IMO and Im pretty sure the Hex girls stated as much, that the 01 units are totally unsustainable as a sole product and at the lower ~$400ish price point.

That was my feeling too on the SOC. I’m with you on the going full BT over WiFi. I could see the reasoning with going with something more akin to the KubeOne as it’s a proven SOC but it’d be losing a key differentiator. If that is what happened I’d be very glad I ended up getting my refund though it’d suck I never got what I was promised. It sounds like if I had I’d more than likely be dealing with issues like most of you though so it’s probably for the best. Let’s hope it ends up being a better revision with more features and less bugs.

And as for the amount paid for the unit, the owner did state he’d try to make things better for those that got screwed so I’d expect a discount once the new units come out.

JigMelon

Couple quick comments. If they open source the software and interfaces I will implement bluetooth on the hn-02s with the pi zero. Adding a usb port is literally $5, so all you'd need to do (after the software is in place) is open the unit, add the usb module, and plug in the bluetooth dongle.

@ensabbahnur Please don't make an ISO. Use "dd" to make a complete image of the sd card. This will allow it to be flashed to devices of different sizes/standards with a higher success rate.

antiburn

I'd been patiently waiting for the new software to be released for the HN-01 before my replacement unit time-bombs itself too. It had been said to be coming "soon" for several months. I also really didn't like the ideal of losing the web interface once I heard about that. I will not install an app for it, and don't want to lose the remote interface option.

I'm glad there are still some fresh copy's of the sd card out there! My current HN-01 just started showing the white page not found screen before starting up, so it's just a matter of time.

p.s. I wonder if they hardcoded the units SN into the sd card, seems like it must be? Not that it should matter if they're not going to support them still?

antiburn,
One thing to note is that there’s two versions of the software since there are two types of PID used on HN01. If you put the wrong software in, your temps will be super erratic. Nothing damaging just not functional.

Also, hexnail on IG has read and ignored both of my PMs. Not cool.

Last edited:

Baron23

Thank you for the clarification. Cheers!

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time

...sounds as if they are mainly focused on new units than supporting current users... im starting to think the current units are 'unfixable' or beyond the point of no return since they are more focused on new units than fixing whats currently out in the wild... which was noted before many times fixes for the current issues are coming 'soon' - but now were talking new units!! if the fixes were in the works, why not continue?

...i dont have mine anymore, but my question is if anyone knows (or i over looked it), how does the new management plan on keeping current hexnail customers happy and continuing to use their hexnails? IMO they should focus on cleaning up the current mess (fixing bugs in hn02 and releasing dabOS to HN-01 users) rather than focusing on making new units to sell...

...the 'it was basically better for me in the long run to just get a refund for my unit and buy it when they are re-released' comment, imo, does not sound reassuring to current users that they will get the fixes they need...

Top Bottom