• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ve recently gotten into the vaping game and am still trying to get my head around what’s the new hotness. I thought it was the FlowerPot but after reading a bit on here it seems to be Ligers and/or a quartz banger. I’m curious what everyone here would suggest for the best setup if you were to be starting out new today and money wasn’t a problem?

The reason I ask is because I put a deposit down for a HN-02 a few weeks back and am wanting to upgrade my setup. I recently purchased a new rig from a holiday sale and am trying to get more flavor from my sessions. The controller that I bought with the FlowerPot is pretty simple and is difficult to find a good temp that results in flavor and doesn’t leave residue or is too hot and no flavor. That’s what interests me most about the banger setup I’ve been reading from people on here.

Here’s the new rig:
x3tU45E

Nice set-up!

For dabs I prefer the Liger, D-Nail Halos being quite good as well.
For flower it sounds like the FlowerPot is the best yet (and you can do double deckers!).

alittledabwilldoya',

SilentJ

You will like the Red Queen once you get it, so many options to really dial in the dab. As we best setup the ligers are really nice and pretty easy to get clouds and taste imo and i love mine but im hearing great things from 25mm banger and coil setups that are properly tuned with a Hexnail. Ill have the 25mm coil and banger setup soon too and will definitely be throwing my 2 cents in the pot.

For urself tho ur only option at the moment is to go with a 25mm coil and banger. The current ligers that everyone is rocking are discounted while CCA710, the makers of the liger, prepared to release the new Liger Air. Could preorder but theres probably gonna be a big wait (CCA710 are known for this) or find a liger second hand which is a good option cause i dont see how anyone could ruin a liger? Imo a liger and the inserts should last forever if treated right and even then i can see them taking a beating and cleaning up nicely.

I'm really looking forward to the Red Queen. I actually e-mailed @HexNailAva a few days ago about possibly changing to a SkyNet cause that touch screen look is SO sexy but I'd be happy with a RQ too I'm sure. I really want that HomeKit functionality... The biggest complaint with the current controller is not having the ability to maintain temps so really looking forward to those features from a HN.

Regarding the Liger, I had looked into them and was disappointed to find they were disappointed. I wish there was more information out there on them and definitely gotten the impression that if I was going to get one it was going to be a while. I was hoping for something obtainable soon-ish though. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the old version if possible. I'm quite intrigued by the banger solution that's been discussed but I'll most likely have to wait until my HN shows up to try that.
Regarding the rig, got it from Thick Ass Glass. They have a holiday sale going on that's pretty good and they have insurance, which is pretty key for my clumsy ass.

Nice set-up!

For dabs I prefer the Liger, D-Nail Halos being quite good as well.
For flower it sounds like the FlowerPot is the best yet (and you can do double deckers!).

I LOVE my FlowerPot. I got the multi-dish version which is pretty great for dabs and double deckers are awesome. Doesn't do great for flavor most times though sadly.

Why not a NV FP D-Nail Wraparound with D-Nail Halo SiC+D-Nail carb cap gen2? The best of both worlds. And probably D-Nail and NV will make a 420 sale the next days. That's what I'm waiting for.
I have a FP and tried both the regular SiC dish and quartz dish but not a D-Nail. I remember seeing them when I first looked into the FP but never read much about them. Would you say they're comparable to Ligers? I'll certainly look more into the D-Nail.

Last edited by a moderator:

afeekh

Any update on OS2 for sky? Did we go back to the drawing board? I Keep getting my hopes up every time i seen a new post notification lol.
haha me too bro. been here since the very beginning. Have HN-01 from very first batch to be released. Its been a long wait but I have a lot of faith in the Hex-Nail team @HexNailAva @HexNailLiz . And I know they are taking as long as it takes to release a close to perfect interface software not some half assed interface so its well worth the wait.

anrchy666

haha me too bro. been here since the very beginning. Have HN-01 from very first batch to be released. Its been a long wait but I have a lot of faith in the Hex-Nail team @HexNailAva @HexNailLiz . And I know they are taking as long as it takes to release a close to perfect interface software not some half assed interface so its well worth the wait.
Oh ya don't get me wrong been one of the 1st to get sky and been in love with it since just seeing all these screen shots has me jelly lol.

anrchy666,

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@SilentJ
Performance of the D-Nail SiC Halo dish with the FP D-Nail WA should be the same as with the regular D-Nail parts after all I've heard from people who have both. And generally here too is a dividing of the spirits to be found between those who prefer performance of the D-nail SiC Halo and those who prefer the liger combos. So there seem not to be a great difference in perfomance with trates but the D-Nail has advantage of doing doubledeckers at least and - it's avalaible at once.

Last edited:

SilentJ

@SilentJ
Performance of the D-Nail SiC Halo dish with the FP D-Nail WA should be the same as with the regular D-Nail parts after all I've heard from people who have both. And generally here too is a dividing of the spirits to be found between those who prefer performance of the D-nail SiC Halo and those who prefer the liger combos. So there seem not to be a great difference in perfomance with trates but the D-Nail has advantage of doing doubledeckers at least and - it's avalaible at once.
I’d seen the D-Nail WA piece when I was first getting my FP setup but had no idea what it was. I wish I’d known then!
So basically instead of a Liger I could get the D-Nail WA and the quartz or SiC Halo from D-Nail and I’d have something that performs the same as the Liger with a good flavor profile? I already have most of the parts so that might be a better solution. I just haven’t read much on it. What makes the D-Nail dishes better than the ones that NV sells with the FP?
Also, I’m curious what temps people are using with these setups. I’ve found it’s extremely difficult to find a happy medium for it.

SilentJ,

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
The D-Nail SiC dishes are better processed and have a much more even and smoother surface (better cleaning less remaining material burned in). But the most important thing is it's performance paired with the D-Nail carb cap gen2 I guess. As with all other nails the best dish only can bring out it's full performance with a perfectly fitting carb cap. That's also the reason why so much Liger owners buy aftermarket carb caps to optimize performance of the Ligers that isn't the best with the CCA carb caps.

SilentJ

The D-Nail SiC dishes are better processed and have a much more even and smoother surface (better cleaning less remaining material burned in). But the most important thing is it's performance paired with the D-Nail carb cap gen2 I guess. As with all other nails the best dish only can bring out it's full performance with a perfectly fitting carb cap. That's also the reason why so much Liger owners buy aftermarket carb caps to optimize performance of the Ligers that isn't the best with the CCA carb caps.
Thanks for all the info. I can definitely see the advantage going the D-Nail route. I noticed that NV explicitly states the WA is for the SiC dish. Has anybody ever tried to use the quartz halo with it? I thought I’d read you get better flavor from quartz vs SiC? Also, any use getting the sapphire insert if you’re using the WA? It’s tough to say if how it’d fit even.

mixchu69

Thanks for all the info. I can definitely see the advantage going the D-Nail route. I noticed that NV explicitly states the WA is for the SiC dish. Has anybody ever tried to use the quartz halo with it? I thought I’d read you get better flavor from quartz vs SiC? Also, any use getting the sapphire insert if you’re using the WA? It’s tough to say if how it’d fit even.
My sic halo fits on the wraparound, but my quartz halo does not. Not sure if it is because i bought the second hand quartz halo ($80 instead of $100), as that was the only choice available. I tried to make it fit, went halfway, and was a pain in the ass to remove.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

Sapphire > SIC > quartz > ti > hot knife > fire

It kills my soul when people say quartz tastes better, much like people thinking netflix "4k" is better than a physical 1080p bluray, I promise if you ever had them side by side with everything else being equal you'd never want to go back to glass.

Justpassedu

It kills my soul when people say quartz tastes better, much like people thinking netflix "4k" is better than a physical 1080p bluray, I promise if you ever had them side by side with everything else being equal you'd never want to go back to glass.
Sic Halo is awesome. I been running mine on a NV FP for awhile, they are super easy to clean, mine still looks new and I agree the taste is much better than quartz. Oh and i hate when people think they are watching true 4k streaming. The best way is a dedicated 4k bluray player and a 4k bluray with hdr. Truly amazing if you got a nice set that can produce the proper amount of nits for hdr. You just loose so much streaming .

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
He already has quartz and SiC dishes and is not happy with either of them.

At that point I'd reckon one may just not like dabbing/extracts.

SilentJ

My sic halo fits on the wraparound, but my quartz halo does not. Not sure if it is because i bought the second hand quartz halo ($80 instead of $100), as that was the only choice available. I tried to make it fit, went halfway, and was a pain in the ass to remove.

Good to know that the quartz isn’t worth getting and won’t even fit!

I’m still learning and might be confusing SiC with what I’d read about wanting to remove metal from the vapor flow path. Now that I read your list I might be confusing it with titanium. I’ll keep this order in mind from now on though.

Guess my next purchase will be a SiC and a new WA. Thanks for the information.

Oh and i hate when people think they are watching true 4k streaming. The best way is a dedicated 4k bluray player and a 4k bluray with hdr. Truly amazing if you got a nice set that can produce the proper amount of nits for hdr. You just loose so much streaming .

I agree with both of you about the 4K stuff. Home theater is my other hobby and IMO it’s extremely easy to tell bad 4K streaming quality vs UHD quality.

He already has quartz and SiC dishes and is not happy with either of them.

At that point I'd reckon one may just not like dabbing/extracts.

I didn’t mean to imply that I don’t like the dishes I got from NV. I use mine all the time. My problem has been finding how to best utilize them to get flavor with minimal residue. I know that it’s a factor of the dish material and coil. I most certainly do love dabbing and am just tying to optimize the experience and setup. Thus why I preordered a Hex-Nail too.

Last edited:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Good to know that the quartz isn’t worth getting and won’t even fit!

I’m still learning and might be confusing SiC with what I’d read about wanting to remove metal from the vapor flow path. Now that I read your list I might be confusing it with titanium. I’ll keep this order in mind from now on though.

Guess my next purchase will be a SiC and a new WA. Thanks for the information.

I agree with both of you about the 4K stuff. Home theater is my other hobby and IMO it’s extremely easy to tell bad 4K streaming quality vs UHD quality.

I didn’t mean to imply that I don’t like the dishes I got from NV. I use mine all the time. My problem has been finding how to best utilize them to get flavor with minimal residue. I know that it’s a factor of the dish material and coil. I most certainly do love dabbing and am just tying to optimize the experience and setup. Thus why I preordered a Hex-Nail too.

Sic is a ceramic so you're prolly thinking ti and aluminum. IMO Sic is the material of the future in SO many applications, they even make microchips and mosfets out of Sic now that have performance improvements on orders of magnitude so Im super excited to see it get more and more exposure.

Zanin

I would check the fuse make sure it didn’t blow. Using a different coil pin out will do that. Just need a replacement fuse

I never switched any coils yet, even tried turning it on without a coil, no lights still after 10 min except on the power switch itself.

Zanin,

JigMelon

I agree with @ensabbahnur completely. Being able to see the dab/vapor and how my carb caps are affecting is a HUGE bonus of quartz, and I still do use quartz for many rips. HOWEVER, I get much better flavor on my 16mm SiC Liger and the 30mm Obsidian Liger. I'm fairly convinced that people saying otherwise are using their Ligers incorrectly.

thezatokid

I'm having some trouble with the initial setup of the RQ. I have gotten the unit onto my network, but when I open the app site (lan or wan) it isn't loading a drop down box for me to select my unit. I can see in the console there are a couple of errors occurring.

Wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar? I've checked the application cache in chrome and it appears to be empty.

thezatokid,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Not trying to step on toes but I didn't even know it was posted

So cliff notes from the blog update looks like

Contest info

Units......They are coming

Coils......They should be coming

DabOS/2........Its still coming

Liger tune update.....coming but IMO sounds fishy (I rarely trust magic bullets in software that fix physical issues)

AP mode.......maybe in 2.1 maybe not

So I guess.....still waiting.

Feedback for the SIC Halo tune (which I've been exclusively using the RQ for) is great, with the exception of depending on the coil I use I have to run 40-130 degrees higher on the RQ then the SK (this is with identical coil and nail, just plugged from 1 to another), the recovery seems much quicker when I preheat my cap and the temps are, as Ive mentioned elsewhere, almost too stable and Im still getting atlas a full 11-13 second delay from the nail to whatever interface Im using with older freshly reset iPads raising the lag to almost 20 seconds (consistent and repeatable)

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
I was hoping for a 420 release of the Skynet update. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Im beyond relived that they are exercising such concern about bricking my device that is already basically a brick for weeks now with the magic fix all thats been in the pipe (and on 01 units) for like 6 months.

Keeping the faith though cause.....its still coming

ensabbahnur,
Reactions: exmex

buddingglasshead

Im beyond relived that they are exercising such concern about bricking my device that is already basically a brick for weeks now with the magic fix all thats been in the pipe (and on 01 units) for like 6 months.

Keeping the faith though cause.....its still coming

Wait, is your RQ not up and running properly?

buddingglasshead,
Top Bottom