Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

mutten840

@just_the_flu It should appear in the wifi network list as a network. You connect directly and then the unit should work as expected without wifi. You would need to have a mobile device you can connect to the unit and you should be able to use it the same as when its connected over your network and not as an access point

Did you connect directly to the hexnail by selecting it in the available wifi networks?

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
So, unless you're only going from phone to 02 (via bt? wifi? adhoc?), if you do not have an internet connection, you cannot adjust your 02?

My use case is dabbing out a festivals where internet is not an option.

...as far as i can tell if you pre-set your unit it will work with no wifi or internet access, like in a shed or at festivals... a slong as you don't intend to change settings you should be fine from what i can tell...

@just_the_flu It should appear in the wifi network list as a network. You connect directly and then the unit should work as expected without wifi. You would need to have a mobile device you can connect to the unit and you should be able to use it the same as when its connected over your network and not as an access point

Did you connect directly to the hexnail by selecting it in the available wifi networks?

...i changed nothing except killed my modem (my router still on, only diff no internet access). after modem power off i turned on hn-02 and it just sat blinking cyan...

just_the_flu,
Reactions: mutten840

YabbaDABBAdo

My use case is dabbing out a festivals where internet is not an option.
Supposedly the Red queen is going to be able to run off the hotspot on your phone.so you will be able to connect wherever you have service on your phone if/when that happens it should be with the new OS or it will be released with the next update. I remember that was one of the questions I had for the same reason I go to a lot of events near my area and it’s going to be dope. Ordering a portable battery from Amazon retail is expensive but totally worth it IMO for dabs in nature and wherever I go

mutten840

@just_the_flu ok I see what you are going for. In theory it should work. But I think the problem is around turning the unit back on and you would most likely need a mobile device to connect to the unit to turn it on and off. But you would need to connect to the unit to make sure it is on and nothing changed. Once you did that, you could disconnect and the unit should still work.

I am theorizing here as I have never actually tried the scenario you are calling out =)

just_the_flu

@just_the_flu ok I see what you are going for. In theory it should work. But I think the problem is around turning the unit back on and you would most likely need a mobile device to connect to the unit to turn it on and off. But you would need to connect to the unit to make sure it is on and nothing changed. Once you did that, you could disconnect and the unit should still work.

...i agree in theory it should work... i'm assuming the unit once connected to a network is looking for an internet connection and may just be in a loop because no internet access is detected... i keep my heater on in the UI and just hardpower the unit down when finished- so i don't believe that's the issue..

...this is not a big deal as having internet access is almost a must for my household... i've been testing different scenarios with my hn-02, for example i would like to keep one at my cottage, but we have no internet access there and weak cell signal. I was going to bring up a spare router so i can have a 'network' to connect to and use the UI, this is why i decided to test the hn-02 in a network with no internet access...

just_the_flu,

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
@exmex its looking like a week since they are waiting on coils to come in. But other than that, they are working on getting the latest patch ready to release and also working on the port of the touch screen units to the new OS

So 8 days ago it was looking like a week until coils come in. Looks like that has come and gone. Any new estimates on shipping? I'd love to see everyone's units shipped out right now since we've all been waiting on coils for weeks now. It'd be less than $5 for them to ship the coils out separately when they come in.

lazylightning,
Reactions: szai

mutten840

@lazylightning I am sorry but I dont have any updates beyond they are on their way. I will let you know once there is more to pass along, but as of now. They are not here yet.

They are still finishing up the last few units for round 2 and working on the patches while they wait for the coils to land.

Funds are tight and they dont really have extra cash to ship out 50 coils later (The amount of round 2 units)

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
@lazylightning I am sorry but I dont have any updates beyond they are on their way. I will let you know once there is more to pass along, but as of now. They are not here yet.

They are still finishing up the last few units for round 2 and working on the patches while they wait for the coils to land.

Funds are tight and they dont really have extra cash to ship out 50 coils later (The amount of round 2 units)

That's too bad that they're letting $250 stop them from meeting their promise to 50 paying customers. That's less than the cost of 1 unit. It would surely pay off well in terms of customer satisfaction, good reviews and positive word of mouth.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
So Ill ask my question slightly different perhaps. Does the 02 require an internet connection at all times to modify the controller settings.

If it does not, what is the scenario you can adjust the unit.

If it does....wtf Hex, no one wants a device like this, especially if the only "pro" argument is smart home integration. Not 1 single feature beyond smart home, and MAYBE auto sw updates, require the controller to have any connection or interaction with the internet whatsoever, local network sure, internet, absolutely not.

Im starting to feel like Ive completely misunderstood this product and what it was going to be before I dropped money on it.

mutten840

@lazylightning They are doing the best they can and I have faith in them that they will ship the units and everyone will be happy with the final results.

I get that this is frustrating to you and feel your pain. But know they are doing everything they can to get things on track and shipping the units out as soon as they have been ordered.

@ensabbahnur I am pretty sure Muunch and a few others tried using the unit as a stand alone with no internet connection and it worked fine. The unit should work as a stand alone access point and appear as an available network on your mobile device.

The thing I am not sure on is if you need to keep the device connected or if it loses connection, does it then drop the hexnail and cause it to turn off

just_the_flu

So Ill ask my question slightly different perhaps. Does the 02 require an internet connection at all times to modify the controller settings.

...as far as i can tell through testing, yes...

...i have tested the unit with no network available (router off) and it will heat the nail, assuming same settings as previous... BUT you cannot access the UI...

...I tried connecting to a hotspot from my phone, it did not work for me, i thought maybe if i waited the 20min it would have worked, but someone after my test reported hotspoting does not work (sorry i forget whom and too lazy to look back) , they said this will be implemented soon...

...my last test was to connect to a network with no internet access (same network i've been connected to but with modem off) and my hn-02 gets stuck (assuming) in a loop trying to find internet access (cyan/blue flashing led)...
...i know if i turn my modem off after my hn-02 powers up and makes it's connection it will work with the modem powered off, and YES you can access the UI through the webapp(no internet access), BUT this only works IF you have an internet connection first and keep the unit on without powering it off...

JigMelon

@ensabbahnur I've discussed this with Ava, and I expect to be able to control this offline, as well. Whether that's via another device on the same wifi network (without internet), or via a locally-hosted version of the webapp. This device is capable of a lot, and I want to ensure that it will be functional for the foreseeable future. Agreements need to be made before any work can be done, so that's at a stand-still until the girls are in a better situation. I guarantee the girls are aware of our concerns, and are willing to address them.

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Thought my Hex Nail broke. When I turned it on this morning the screen was on the settings menu. Didn’t thunk much of it. Somehow the temp was switched to nail tracking in the settings and I did a quartZ dab at like 700F nail temperature.

Turned it back to coil tracking and it’s all good.

Been Vapin,

Square4Life

If it does not, what is the scenario you can adjust the unit.

If it does....wtf Hex, no one wants a device like this, especially if the only "pro" argument is smart home integration. Not 1 single feature beyond smart home, and MAYBE auto sw updates, require the controller to have any connection or interaction with the internet whatsoever, local network sure, internet, absolutely not.

Im starting to feel like Ive completely misunderstood this product and what it was going to be before I dropped money on it.

I started having these same feelings. I do not want to have my hexnail connected to ANY internet connection or router/ap of any kind (unless I'm doing an update to the unit).

I have a Galaxy S4, which does not have a SIM card (no cellular access), and will not be connected to my home's Wifi at all. This phone will be my controller to turn on, adjust temp, etc. I want to connect from the phone's wireless directly to the Hexnail's wireless.

Is this setup going to be a problem with the Hexnail as it is currently coded?

Square4Life,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Well I do agree with everyone but just riding it out for now. Functions fine and I feel like I need to be online to know it's working at the moment so until the update drops (at least) I've been using it connected with no issue.

I guess if I remember to disconnect from the app manually every time, the random turning on would stop, but I got high and went to bed instead last night and didn't dab before work today and came home and she was on. No biggie cos I almost anticipated it, but yeah, I think manual disconnection in the device settings is the workaround for now.

On another note, anyone wanna recommend a cheap tablet + stand I could use? I'm talking HN dedicated tablet, so softwares must play nice pls

JigMelon

Too late to edit, want to clarify that I mean a locally-hosted instance elsewhere on the network. When the HN is in AP mode and you connect to its AP, you're connecting to an instance hosted on the HN itself, which of course is local. I'm interested in an instance elsewhere on the network, where I can manage my own DNS.

Edit: It's likely that you can connect to the AP, use dig/nmap/tshark to determine where the local instance is (likely just the HN's IP on port 80/443), set that hosts entry in your router/DNS server, and connect to it via the hostname you set from the internet-less wifi network. However, I will not be attempting this nor will I be doing any analysis with external utilities until getting explicit approval from HN. If @HexNailAva wants to approve of the above method, I'd be happy to create a tutorial for setting this up. So long as the webserver is running on the HN even when it's connected to another network, this should work and it would allow @ensabbahnur to do what he needs at festivals. The hosts entry doesn't even need to be on the router or DNS server; it can be on the connecting device (phone/tablet/laptop) itself.

@muunch The Surface Pro 2 is a great device to get for the money, but it's WAY overkill for a dedicated HN device. All you need is a touchscreen, wifi, and a browser. I would get a used android tablet off ebay or craigslist for $50. If you want something new, I'd check out dhgate; they have a large variety of tablets/phablets that fit your needs and are <$50 new.

If you look hard enough on ebay and don't mind scratches, there are plenty of more-reputable tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab models for example) to choose from for under $50, including tablets that are still supported on XDA (which I know you're into).

Last edited:

mixchu69

Purchased a Hn-02, but all this technical talk concerns me. If this device cannot work without wifi, I think that's a huge mistake. Simplicity is not always bad. I was hoping this can work as a regular enail when I have no wifi and cellular connection.

JigMelon

Purchased a Hn-02, but all this technical talk concerns me. If this device cannot work without wifi, I think that's a huge mistake. Simplicity is not always bad. I was hoping this can work as a regular enail when I have no wifi and cellular connection.

I wouldn't worry too much. The HN, when not connected to wifi, creates its own wifi hotspot. You connect to that with you device of choice, and then can browse to the webapp page from the browser on that device. The webapp, in this case, runs from the HN itself, rather than on the HN-team's server. When you connect to the HN's hotspot, there is a DNS/hosts entry that points "app.hex-nail.com" to the HN itself, so you are able to connect to it via that address in the browser, even without internet access.

The issue that we are discussing does not apply to most people, and this method of connected to the HN's hotspot will continue to work even if the HN-team's server goes down.

To clarify, the issue we are discussing is when the HN and your accessing-device are both on the same network, which does not have internet access. This is separate from when you're connecting to the device from the HN's network itself.

just_the_flu

The HN, when not connected to wifi, creates its own wifi hotspot. You connect to that with you device of choice, and then can browse to the webapp page from the browser on that device.

...sorry for sounding dumb but how have you achieved this? i've tried so many times to connect to the ui with no wifi/internet connection and have not had any success thus far...

EDIT: on a hn-02 i cannot connect to the ui through webapp on hexnail ap (green flashing)... i've been using the normal address of : http://app.hex-nail.com

just_the_flu,

JigMelon

...sorry for sounding dumb but how have you achieved this? i've tried so many times to connect to the ui with no wifi/internet connection and have not had any success thus far...

EDIT: on a hn-02 i cannot connect to the ui through webapp on hexnail ap (green flashing)... i've been using the normal address of : http://app.hex-nail.com

I was mistaken; the hosts entry is for another address as per these instructions:

https://store.hex-nail.com/pages/hex-nail-v2-setup-app-walkthrough

https://local-ap.hn-connect.net:8443, or http://192.168.142.1:8710

This can (and should) definitely be configured for access via the usual URL; I'm messaging Ava now.

JigMelon,

just_the_flu

... @JigMelon thanks for the vid but thats how you set up the hexnail, its not how to use the ui solely connected to the accesspoint not on your own network...

EDIT: i can only get to the network setup page not the dashboard ui for operating the hexnail itself...

Last edited:
just_the_flu,
Top Bottom