Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

Heatmiser

@invertedisdead I have been using the following presets in my hexnail: 20mm coil and standard heavy settings, for my 25mm coil and gavel. The coil being setup with the end of the pigtail on the bottom edge of the dish has been giving me really stable temps and I get really good dabs at 540 to 545 set temp. This is showing the dish temp at 378 to 388. Since the temps are soo low, I dont have any issues cleaning up as I can Qtip anything in the dish right up before it has a chance to flash to the quartz. Reclaim is almost nothing and I only really see it when I am using a high airflow cap. I have converted several people and they have all said it was what they had been looking for.

The main downsides are:

1: Chance of breaking bangers while learning how to fit the coils properly
If the coil is a little loose when cold, it will get looser when heated up. This can cause the coil to sit at a slight angle since the coil arm is the heaviest point. I have found that the coil needs to feel like a syringe when depressed while being slid over the banger(Slight resistance, but smooth feeling) I have also been using the Errlectric coil clips(Home made style S clips and O rings) to hold the coil arm in place and it has stopped my issues with the coil arm causing the coil to get angled when hot.

2: Bangers can break. just because
I have had hit and miss results with some bangers and so far the only 1 I have had no issues at all with are the Highly Educated gavels. They also give an amazing dab since they have the micro bubble bottoms. I have yet to break one of those and currently have 2 in my rotation.
FatDabco bangers are cheap and work really well. They also have 50% off sales fairly regular and you can scoop 2 of their 25mm bangers for 60 bucks. I like them because it doesn't hurt when you break a 30 banger. But it does when its over 150 =P

3: Chance to mess up the coils when adjusting to fit the banger
When adjusting the coils for bangers, you want to keep the coil tight together and just tighten the coil by doing little twists of the coil Clockwise will loosen and counter clockwise will tighten. When adjusting the coil you will also want to make sure it is even as sometimes the coil can have one of the sections a little out of alignment with the rest and this can cause the coil to not fit correctly

Here are some pics of my gavel for reference:
http://s893.photobucket.com/user/mutten840/library/bangers and coil

The upsides are: Endless

1: All caps work. I have not had any issues whatsoever finding caps that fit the 25mm bangers. They just accept pretty much anything =)

2: Once you figure it out you wont break bangers very often if at all. I have an 8 month old Toro grail and it is still looking and working like day one.

3: No drop downs needed
There is no heat at all on the joint and you can hold it in your hand and feel it is cold to the touch. All the heat stays in the banger and so you do not need to run drop downs. These also weight nothing and so you can use any pieces you could not use with the liger or halo. You would be amazed at how much better most pieces work without a drop down in the mix =)

4: Temps hold strong
My units are on all day and the temps hold strong on the quartz bangers. I will see the temp float in a 5 to 10 degree average, depending on if I have a fan on. If not it will be tighter and I can do back to back dabs on the bangers and never need to wait for the temp to get back up

I have tried the following banger sizes

20mm: Too hot and narrow
24mm: Still a bit too hot and narrow
25mm: Perfect size and width
30mm: Too big and is honestly larger than anyone needs, unless you want to serve soup with it =P

The 25mm is the Goldie locks banger out of the pack in my opinion

I have not gushed over the bangers as I know several people consider them old tech

So while I don’t relish the idea of having to buy more gear to get it right & tight, I very much appreciate y’all’s insightful feedback and experience!
Where did you get the 25mm coils you’ve been using with the Hex Nail? I’m going to have to jump in and start trying these quartz bangers as well. I was hoping this was going to be a one and done affair but gear acquisition is never that simple!
Thanks! ✨♂️

Last edited:

mutten840

@Heatmiser disordly conduction and aqua labs are the only 2 places I know selling them right now. But hexnail is due to have these in the next month for much less than what they are currently priced at

mutten840

@muunch I am still working on getting the info on how echo and google will connect and some of the features updates coming in the next patch.

mutten840,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Flower pot :)

Bangers are better than the FP+SiC dish in my opinion.

I will not be going back and only plan to use the showerhead flowerpot (which I rarely ever dab from... why would I?) from now on. Bangers are much more satisfying and tasty.

Thanks for info about the updates @mutten840 - I'm not so much worried about the voice-features. I just wanna know what sorta fun functional stuff they'll be sneaking in :p

PoopMachine

Bangers are better than the FP+SiC dish in my opinion.

I will not be going back and only plan to use the showerhead flowerpot (which I rarely ever dab from... why would I?) from now on. Bangers are much more satisfying and tasty.

Thanks for info about the updates @mutten840 - I'm not so much worried about the voice-features. I just wanna know what sorta fun functional stuff they'll be sneaking in :p

What about the FP with quartz insert?

PPN

Volute of Vapor
??
Where is the relation to HN, nails, bangers, inserts?
Maybe he wants to mean if it's possible to use the HN to drive the SV3 mod.... but yes Nothing related to the previous discussion except the mention of the flowerpot could lead to think you was speaking about flowers vapes.

PPN,
Reactions: szai

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...I'm looking at picking up another hex nail to use outside my normal vape environment (cottage, back yard, etc...) I know I can test this, and will tonight if no one knows...

...can the hex-nail operate with no wifi if it's previously been setup... For example can I set to desired temp & settings at home and then be able to just turn it on without wifi and it will work?? I understand I would not be able to use the interface outside wifi which is not an issue...

...OR, is there a way to setup a hotspot with phone/tablet to have the hex-nail connect to (if connection is needed to operate)...

Thanks.

just_the_flu,
Reactions: mixchu69

anrchy666

...I'm looking at picking up another hex nail to use outside my normal vape environment (cottage, back yard, etc...) I know I can test this, and will tonight if no one knows...

...can the hex-nail operate with no wifi if it's previously been setup... For example can I set to desired temp & settings at home and then be able to just turn it on without wifi and it will work?? I understand I would not be able to use the interface outside wifi which is not an issue...

...OR, is there a way to setup a hotspot with phone/tablet to have the hex-nail connect to (if connection is needed to operate)...

Thanks.
If its anything like HN-01 then yes no need to be online to use it will heat up to what you had it set to prior.

mutten840

@just_the_flu I know Liz has been working on the AP setup and making it more of a smooth transition to it. Right now it can be slow and so it might time out when running as an Access point. The hot spot should work also, but I have not actually tried it and am not certain how well it will work.

Please let me know what you find and if you had any issues and I will make sure to pass it along to Liz and Ava to investigate =)

just_the_flu

...thanks guys! I will cut power to my router later once the wife and kids goes to sleep.. wouldn't wanna get in trouble or anything :lol: heaven forbid we go without internet for 5 min:rofl:

...i will report my findings...

just_the_flu

...I can confirm hn-02 does work with no wifi..it's in 'ap' mode (green blinking)... my coil was hot and i was able to dab... I am obviously assuming it was the same settings as i could not tell performance wise...

...I tried to connect to hotspot but was unsuccessful... But... in hindsight I'm sure if I was more patient it would have worked (the 20 min waiting period, which I had to wait out to reconnect to normal network)...

YabbaDABBAdo

Well I’ve lost WiFi (going through the nor’easter 30-50 mph winds) and I can confirm the Skynet(HN-01) does NOT work off the hotspot on your phone. I tried multiple times and even reconfigured my hotspots settings and still nothing. Not bummed out....still works as a touchscreen just no interface, But my matching wood red queen is going to be shipped out in the next few weeks hopefully and waiting till they have a lock on 25mm coils (have too many others) I just hope by the time I receive my unit they’ll have smoothed out the hotspot issue since I plan on this being my travel unit so when I’m hooked up to a portable battery and just chilling at the river I want to still be able to control my unit through hotspot or an offline option to operate it through the app (Bluetooth???)
also I travel to events and festivals throughout my area and this will be key in using and showing off the features of the Hex-Nail to every person possible and showing it’s FULL POWER.
#travledabs #naturedabs

buddingglasshead

Just paid for the second half of my HN-02 order and pre-ordered a 25mm coil. :science:

Need to grab a few 25mm bangers now. I have one currently, but it's 14mm and I really want a 10mm. I'd really like to try it on a thermal but the knock offs I have have the joint towards the bottom instead of the top so there is no room for proper coil fitment.

mutten840

Good news!!!!

Hexnail is taking pre orders for 25mm coils!!!

They are going for 50.00 a pop and should ship out within 7 to 10 days
If you buy more than 3, you can take 5.00 off each coil!!! Thats right, 5.00 bucks off!!! That brings the price down to 45.00 (My mind has been blown!!!!)

I will need the following if you are interested:

Send me your email you want the invoice sent to and if you have a pending order, make sure to include the order number with your response.

mutten840

How will Google and Echo connect to my Hexnail and what are some of the things it will be able to do

The connection to your Hexnail will be done over your WiFi and not over Bluetooth. Google or Echo will see your Hexnail as a smart device when it scans for new devices and should be seamless in its connection. Once it finds your Hexnail, you will be able to do most of the top level functions like:

Turning the heater on and off
Changing the oil temp
Activating glob mode
Activating up temp mode

The above is a small list of what is to come in the next update and there will be a larger list of features and such coming soon. Also the port for the touchscreen units and the next update for the new units will be dropping very soon =)

If you wanted to turn the actual unit on or off (total power down and up) you would need to add a smart plug to the mix.

I will post more info once I have it and hope you are all as excited as I am for the next update

nickmo

Nice, thanks for the Google info! I already use a smart plug on my e-nail, "Ok Google, turn on Dab Rig" to turn it on while on my way home from work. It will be cool to have additional functionality, especially for those without a dedicated screen on the HN-02.

nickmo,
Top Bottom