Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

buddingglasshead

If you want to make sure Ava gets your message. You should send an email to support@hex-nail.com.

I did 22 days ago and have tried following up once a week since. (so twice)

She has been busy working on the port of the OS to the old units and building more of the round 2 units and so its easy for her to lose track of time and space when she is deep in soldering and such.

Both of which heavily benefit me since I recently picked up a HN-01 in trade and am part of Round 2 (one of the first 3 IIRC) I'm excited!

Its been fixed, but if you want to know which individual pics correspond to each wood, point your mouse at the image and look at the URL bar at the bottom, the name of the wood will appear in it. Also by right-clicking and selecting "view image" it will appear on top of page as well... :p:lol:

Well fuck.. wish I would have asked before I bought. I didn't think Cherry was going to be so light.

buddingglasshead

They may have premade tops, I guess, just a matter of asking for a switch if you ordered recently?

Thank you for the suggestion. Certainly will do that, but don't want to bog them down with another email so I'm going to wait for a reply/mention it in my next email if it ends up being another week without response. Mahogany or Walnut would be much preferred. My HN-01 is Paduak I'll probably end up with a second HN-02 once there are tunings for the WrapAround FlowerPot .

mixchu69

I don't know why I'm having such a tough time pulling the trigger...prob because I got burned so many times buying medication/vapes (recently found I got bait and switch for expensive concentrates $120/gram at a dispensary I frequent).

My concerns:
What happens if Ava and Liz decide to venture off from this work and find something they enjoy more? Will updates stop. Can I still use this as a straight PID controller where I can simply set my enail to 700 like all other cheap Controllers.

What do current users find better than a $99 RDK-300? I heard of clean mode, glob mode.

@stickstones knows I'm the poster boy of VAS (bought all the high end vapes in a short 6-month span), so if someone can point why they like their HN-02 more than simple controller, I probably will be pulling the trigger ASAP

mutten840

@mixchu69 I would not worry about Ava and Liz moving on. They gave up really nice tech jobs to do this and have been devoted to the Hexnails since then. The basic functionality of the device will continue to evolve and improve as they have time to devote to it. Currently they are working on porting the new OS to the older touch screen units and they are very close with this. Once that is done, they are going back into banging on the new OS and adding features while also fixing bugs. I was one of the first people to buy the touch screen units and have never felt like I was not getting the red carpet treatment when talking to Ava.

If you are looking for a cheap and solid unit, the Auber RDK-300 is one of the top choices. But it is in never going to work as good as the Hexnail will =)

And the VAS. I have a bad case of it and thats what drew me to the Hexnail in the first place. It was the next level of dabs that I could pair with my glass collection. These units POP!!! The wood really makes the package worthy of displaying out in plain view.

I sold my Ligers and Halos and have only been rocking 25mm bangers on my Hexnail and the combo is amazing. I am getting really good dabs at 540 to 550 and it shows my banger temp at 388.

I wanted to end this with calling out the lack of units floating around for sale. When they are offered. They go really fast. This to me is a solid gauge of value and end user interest =)

mixchu69

@mixchu69 I would not worry about Ava and Liz moving on. They gave up really nice tech jobs to do this and have been devoted to the Hexnails since then. The basic functionality of the device will continue to evolve and improve as they have time to devote to it. Currently they are working on porting the new OS to the older touch screen units and they are very close with this. Once that is done, they are going back into banging on the new OS and adding features while also fixing bugs. I was one of the first people to buy the touch screen units and have never felt like I was not getting the red carpet treatment when talking to Ava.

If you are looking for a cheap and solid unit, the Auber RDK-300 is one of the top choices. But it is in never going to work as good as the Hexnail will =)

And the VAS. I have a bad case of it and thats what drew me to the Hexnail in the first place. It was the next level of dabs that I could pair with my glass collection. These units POP!!! The wood really makes the package worthy of displaying out in plain view.

I sold my Ligers and Halos and have only been rocking 25mm bangers on my Hexnail and the combo is amazing. I am getting really good dabs at 540 to 550 and it shows my banger temp at 388.

I wanted to end this with calling out the lack of units floating around for sale. When they are offered. They go really fast. This to me is a solid gauge of value and end user interest =)
Appreciate your input @mutten840 and supporting the 2 hard working ladies at Hex-nail. Hope I can pick your brain on advantages over rdk-300 or high5. Not sure if it is more appropriate to do it in pm or on this thread so others on the fence. I'll start with PM first

mixchu69,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Very interesting, another to revert to quartz from sapphire and silicon carbide? Don't you feel like you have to use considerably higher dish temperatures to compensate for quartz lack of thermal transfer though? Or are you doing uptemp drops?

How do you keep the quartz clean? Or do you just proudly rock the chazz like they do on the Hex Nail instagram?

YabbaDABBAdo

Very interesting, another to revert to quartz from sapphire and silicon carbide? Don't you feel like you have to use considerably higher dish temperatures to compensate for quartz lack of thermal transfer though? Or are you doing uptemp drops?

How do you keep the quartz clean? Or do you just proudly rock the chazz like they do on the Hex Nail instagram?

I have also switched over to quartz i’m currently running the highly educated gavel at 535° with a nail temp of 387° Great clouds and amazing flavor on par with the Sapphire I haven’t stopped using my liger completely but the switch over to quartz is just amazing the simpleness and ease of cleaning and switching rigs also no tipping of rigs or reclaim with the quartz I don’t even need a drop-down anymore no chazzed bangers if cleaned properly and Q-tip’d do not heat clean just soak in simple Green (thanks @mutten840 :)..;)..$) overnight or a little bit longer and clean every 5 to 7 days or more depending on use for a nice clean crystal clear brand new looking banger

also I have tuned the hex for the gavel from the settings that @HexNailAva gave me for the eternal quartz banger for a even more stable temp while hitting with the settings I have my temperature fluctuation while taking a dab of + or -5° during the whole hit
P-6
I-18
D-22
I limit-75%
d limit-75%
windup- on/25%

hope that gives you some insight and help trust me it’s definitely a game changer with the quartz don’t get me wrong the liger still has its place

PoopMachine

What he said. I think he and I got one of the first units out in the wild. There was a rough patch on release but they got it sorted very quickly with updates.

I have full faith that the ladies arent going anywhere so much so that I have sent local shops to them to inquire about buying units.

The unit is very solid, super flexible and customer service is top notch. Email response can be a little slow but Ava will give you the Batphone number to be able to text her and shes pretty responsive via text.

Go ahead and jump on board. You wont be sorry. Theyre great units and supporting the little guy is the right thing to do.

mutten840

@invertedisdead I have been using the following presets in my hexnail: 20mm coil and standard heavy settings, for my 25mm coil and gavel. The coil being setup with the end of the pigtail on the bottom edge of the dish has been giving me really stable temps and I get really good dabs at 540 to 545 set temp. This is showing the dish temp at 378 to 388. Since the temps are soo low, I dont have any issues cleaning up as I can Qtip anything in the dish right up before it has a chance to flash to the quartz. Reclaim is almost nothing and I only really see it when I am using a high airflow cap. I have converted several people and they have all said it was what they had been looking for.

The main downsides are:

1: Chance of breaking bangers while learning how to fit the coils properly
If the coil is a little loose when cold, it will get looser when heated up. This can cause the coil to sit at a slight angle since the coil arm is the heaviest point. I have found that the coil needs to feel like a syringe when depressed while being slid over the banger(Slight resistance, but smooth feeling) I have also been using the Errlectric coil clips(Home made style S clips and O rings) to hold the coil arm in place and it has stopped my issues with the coil arm causing the coil to get angled when hot.

2: Bangers can break. just because
I have had hit and miss results with some bangers and so far the only 1 I have had no issues at all with are the Highly Educated gavels. They also give an amazing dab since they have the micro bubble bottoms. I have yet to break one of those and currently have 2 in my rotation.
FatDabco bangers are cheap and work really well. They also have 50% off sales fairly regular and you can scoop 2 of their 25mm bangers for 60 bucks. I like them because it doesn't hurt when you break a 30 banger. But it does when its over 150 =P

3: Chance to mess up the coils when adjusting to fit the banger
When adjusting the coils for bangers, you want to keep the coil tight together and just tighten the coil by doing little twists of the coil Clockwise will loosen and counter clockwise will tighten. When adjusting the coil you will also want to make sure it is even as sometimes the coil can have one of the sections a little out of alignment with the rest and this can cause the coil to not fit correctly

Here are some pics of my gavel for reference:
http://s893.photobucket.com/user/mutten840/library/bangers and coil

The upsides are: Endless

1: All caps work. I have not had any issues whatsoever finding caps that fit the 25mm bangers. They just accept pretty much anything =)

2: Once you figure it out you wont break bangers very often if at all. I have an 8 month old Toro grail and it is still looking and working like day one.

3: No drop downs needed
There is no heat at all on the joint and you can hold it in your hand and feel it is cold to the touch. All the heat stays in the banger and so you do not need to run drop downs. These also weight nothing and so you can use any pieces you could not use with the liger or halo. You would be amazed at how much better most pieces work without a drop down in the mix =)

4: Temps hold strong
My units are on all day and the temps hold strong on the quartz bangers. I will see the temp float in a 5 to 10 degree average, depending on if I have a fan on. If not it will be tighter and I can do back to back dabs on the bangers and never need to wait for the temp to get back up

I have tried the following banger sizes

20mm: Too hot and narrow
24mm: Still a bit too hot and narrow
25mm: Perfect size and width
30mm: Too big and is honestly larger than anyone needs, unless you want to serve soup with it =P

The 25mm is the Goldie locks banger out of the pack in my opinion

I have not gushed over the bangers as I know several people consider them old tech

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead I have been using the following presets in my hexnail: 20mm coil and standard heavy settings, for my 25mm coil and gavel. The coil being setup with the end of the pigtail on the bottom edge of the dish has been giving me really stable temps and I get really good dabs at 540 to 545 set temp. This is showing the dish temp at 378 to 388. Since the temps are soo low, I dont have any issues cleaning up as I can Qtip anything in the dish right up before it has a chance to flash to the quartz. Reclaim is almost nothing and I only really see it when I am using a high airflow cap. I have converted several people and they have all said it was what they had been looking for.

The main downsides are:

1: Chance of breaking bangers while learning how to fit the coils properly
If the coil is a little loose when cold, it will get looser when heated up. This can cause the coil to sit at a slight angle since the coil arm is the heaviest point. I have found that the coil needs to feel like a syringe when depressed while being slid over the banger(Slight resistance, but smooth feeling) I have also been using the Errlectric coil clips(Home made style S clips and O rings) to hold the coil arm in place and it has stopped my issues with the coil arm causing the coil to get angled when hot.

2: Bangers can break. just because
I have had hit and miss results with some bangers and so far the only 1 I have had no issues at all with are the Highly Educated gavels. They also give an amazing dab since they have the micro bubble bottoms. I have yet to break one of those and currently have 2 in my rotation.
FatDabco bangers are cheap and work really well. They also have 50% off sales fairly regular and you can scoop 2 of their 25mm bangers for 60 bucks. I like them because it doesn't hurt when you break a 30 banger. But it does when its over 150 =P

3: Chance to mess up the coils when adjusting to fit the banger
When adjusting the coils for bangers, you want to keep the coil tight together and just tighten the coil by doing little twists of the coil Clockwise will loosen and counter clockwise will tighten. When adjusting the coil you will also want to make sure it is even as sometimes the coil can have one of the sections a little out of alignment with the rest and this can cause the coil to not fit correctly

Here are some pics of my gavel for reference:
http://s893.photobucket.com/user/mutten840/library/bangers and coil

The upsides are: Endless

1: All caps work. I have not had any issues whatsoever finding caps that fit the 25mm bangers. They just accept pretty much anything =)

2: Once you figure it out you wont break bangers very often if at all. I have an 8 month old Toro grail and it is still looking and working like day one.

3: No drop downs needed
There is no heat at all on the joint and you can hold it in your hand and feel it is cold to the touch. All the heat stays in the banger and so you do not need to run drop downs. These also weight nothing and so you can use any pieces you could not use with the liger or halo. You would be amazed at how much better most pieces work without a drop down in the mix =)

4: Temps hold strong
My units are on all day and the temps hold strong on the quartz bangers. I will see the temp float in a 5 to 10 degree average, depending on if I have a fan on. If not it will be tighter and I can do back to back dabs on the bangers and never need to wait for the temp to get back up

I have tried the following banger sizes

20mm: Too hot and narrow
24mm: Still a bit too hot and narrow
25mm: Perfect size and width
30mm: Too big and is honestly larger than anyone needs, unless you want to serve soup with it =P

The 25mm is the Goldie locks banger out of the pack in my opinion

I have not gushed over the bangers as I know several people consider them old tech

@YabbaDABBAdo @mutten840 I appreciate the responses!

Perhaps I need to give this setup more attention, I've been considering a Sic Halo or a gavel + disorderly conduction coil but questioning whether I'm going back in time or not as I agree on both the positves and negatives. I hate dropdowns, adapters, and other accessories so I can appreciate the weight reduction the most. I love simply diffused mini tubes for their flavor and find it a shame most e-nails don't work with such tubes due to weight or center of gravity issues. This is the main reason that had me looking back at quartz.

I also love the HD action of the oil boiling of course, the quartz is a real looker in this department where the others tend to steal the show.

I've noticed with my own quartz banger/enail experiments that the joints stay nice and cool which I like a lot, however it seems like one negative aspect to this is it in turn jumpstarts the condensation process for the oil to cool down and start reclaiming to the rig more. Do you notice anything like this?

I've never hit a 25mm quartz nail as an enail, only 20mm, so my experiences are limited in this regard. Does it work alright for smaller dabs too? .05 -.1 or do you guys typically drop quarter grams and flood the bucket?

Love the look of that Gavel, what's your favorite 25mm bucket as a daily driver? I've not hit a gavel but the opaque quartz looks super interesting the way it nucleates the oil and provides quicker vaporization. The videos on it are really sweet. And the Eternal x HE opaque insert they mentioned recently looks especially interesting. I'm curious if HE will release a QX2S with the opaque floor soon as I do feel the trough style nail is a lot easier to keep clean than the bucket IMO!

I see your coil fitment procedure is very thorough, perhaps that is my issue with the experiments I've run. I use the same 20mm coil for other rigs so I haven't gone too wild on it, as I slip it off and put it back on my Flowerpot at night.

The biggest thing for me is cleaning, from my 20mm enail experiments I tend to chazz the banger dialing in a temp that gives me satisfactory hits. When I run it so low that it never glazes on I tend to fly through material and feel like the effects are lacking, but possibly my setup was never ideal. I'm definitely curious to try some of these other setups.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: Hogni

YabbaDABBAdo

@YabbaDABBAdo @mutten840 I appreciate the responses!

Perhaps I need to give this setup more attention, I've been considering a Sic Halo or a gavel + disorderly conduction coil but questioning whether I'm going back in time or not as I agree on both the positves and negatives. I hate dropdowns, adapters, and other accessories so I can appreciate the weight reduction the most. I love simply diffused mini tubes for their flavor and find it a shame most e-nails don't work with such tubes due to weight or center of gravity issues. This is the main reason that had me looking back at quartz.

I also love the HD action of the oil boiling of course, the quartz is a real looker in this department where the others tend to steal the show.

I've noticed with my own quartz banger/enail experiments that the joints stay nice and cool which I like a lot, however it seems like one negative aspect to this is it in turn jumpstarts the condensation process for the oil to cool down and start reclaiming to the rig more. Do you notice anything like this?

I've never hit a 25mm quartz nail as an enail, only 20mm, so my experiences are limited in this regard. Does it work alright for smaller dabs too? .05 -.1 or do you guys typically drop quarter grams and flood the bucket?

Love the look of that Gavel, what's your favorite 25mm bucket as a daily driver? I've not hit a gavel but the opaque quartz looks super interesting the way it nucleates the oil and provides quicker vaporization. The videos on it are really sweet. And the Eternal x HE opaque insert they mentioned recently looks especially interesting. I'm curious if HE will release a QX2S with the opaque floor soon as I do feel the trough style nail is a lot easier to keep clean than the bucket IMO!

I see your coil fitment procedure is very thorough, perhaps that is my issue with the experiments I've run. I use the same 20mm coil for other rigs so I haven't gone too wild on it, as I slip it off and put it back on my Flowerpot at night.

The biggest thing for me is cleaning, from my 20mm enail experiments I tend to chazz the banger dialing in a temp that gives me satisfactory hits. When I run it so low that it never glazes on I tend to fly through material and feel like the effects are lacking, but possibly my setup was never ideal. I'm definitely curious to try some of these other setups.

I have all D-nail set ups 30mm liger and HE gavel...and for my daily is the gavel paired with a discordley 25mm coil. Unfortunately I can’t find my d-nail joint pieces but they get so hot so I haven’t used it since I got my gavel and my liger I still use just not everyday more a sesh nail when globs are involved. I do not notice any reclaim build up in my rig other than normal if anything it is for less I clean my rig out once a week as I clean my nail. My average dab is about .1-.4 depending one what I’m feeling like, I do not use the glob mood for anything under .2 but usually anything over that I hit my glob at 18°/60 seconds or 25°/45 seconds and and if I do do a .5 and over now it takes a couple of boosts to get all of it cleared but I save my globs for the liger usually.

mutten840

@invertedisdead The Gavel is really easy to keep clean and the bottom does not get mucked up like you would expect from the porous bottom. The Gavel has been my daily driver, but I mix it up with one of the Fatdabco bangers or my Toro Grail. The FatDabco bangers are comparable and are a fraction of the price. They also have 50% off sales at least once a month, so you can scoop 2 bangers for 60 bucks. They are really close in look to the Toro Grails.

I had a group of pieces I could not use with drops or the liger and I can use them all with the bangers. It is a night and day difference. It almost made me a little pissed I had taken soo long to try the 25mm bangers out. I cannot begin to tell you all the different nails and bangers I have tried hunting for the best dab and I feel the bangers are a full circle to my hunt. But also a great ending as I now know that the old tech was just waiting for the right moment to come back around and be worthy of using with an Enail controller

I have a few bangers and just soak the dirty ones in Simple green for awhile and they come out like new. As long as you dont scratch the inside surface of the banger, they will last forever and look like new after each cleaning =)

Lastly, I always pair my banger with a coil and keep them together until one fails. Each coil and banger will be a little different and always need some adjusting. Some less than others, but some adjusting none the less. Pairing them keeps me from breaking them by swapping coils back and forth and also gives me a perfect fit each time I clean the banger and put the coil back on.

HexNail will be selling the 25mm coils in the next month and their prices will be much lower than what is out there now. So dont sweat it if you see the price point of the current 25mm coils. This will change in our favor once they have them in stock =)

Square4Life

I'll be clearing all support emails today. I'm sorry I fell off a bit here guys I've had to stay pretty dabbed out and doped up for some severe tooth / nerve pain. I've been struggling with solid food for like the lasts week.

I've been getting a barrage of emails lately and it's been hard to keep up but I want to finish the last few emails today so we can get everything sorted for folks.

The other thing to note guys is: If you PM me I'll give you my personal cell number and we can text back and forth.

I'll have some responses coming to the last few pages of posts soon, too. More Round 2 info as well.
Hey Ava, just looking for the Round 2 info? Sorry if it was posted and I overlooked it.

Square4Life,

Dubmonkey

+1 any updates for the remaining round 2 purchasers ? Chomping at the bit to get my grubby hands on one.

Dubmonkey,

mutten840

@Square4Life and @Dubmonkey Round 2 is being completed as we speak. They were waiting on some hardware and wood, but it sounds like 2 weeks at the most and all of current and new round 2 orders should be shipped

Also they are very very close to completion with the port of the new OS for the older touch screen units!!!!

They are also working on smoothing out the initial user experience of the first time setup. Its been taking about 30 mins to an hour for the units to connect and sync up with AWS(Amazon Web Services) Currently you plug the new unit in and wait for a bit, then when you start the setup process it can be confusing at times to know if the unit is connecting, or just hanging. It is actually working in the background and eventually rights its course and works as expected. The first round of touch screen units had something similar and they fixed it early on. This is high on the list of items and is being addressed.

Alexa and Google support will also be rolling out soon!!!! Alexa, turn on my dabs!!!!!

buddingglasshead

To the hex-nail team, I think @mutten840 is a good ambassador for your product. Helped with my concerns and convinced me to grab a paduak HN-02. Excited to join the family

I can certainly attest to this! I'm all worked out thanks to @mutten840 and the girls. Very happy current owner with the now replaced SD card (DabOS/2 soon!) Very excited for my HN-02 as well. I think it'll get me back to using the Showerhead all the time with the full control that a Hexnail provides.

HexNail will be selling the 25mm coils in the next month and their prices will be much lower than what is out there now. So dont sweat it if you see the price point of the current 25mm coils. This will change in our favor once they have them in stock =)

I guess I'll just buy one, then. Definitely want to have a back up 20mm with a Liger and Showerhead on deck. I want to see what all this fuss about a 25mm banger and coil is though. Dying to try some insert drops with that! :science:

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...any canadian hex-nail users suggest where to find a good 25mm coil? the few places i've found dont ship to canada :cry:

...tia

just_the_flu,

mutten840

@just_the_flu I have only found Aqualabs and disorderly conduction selling them. But Hex nail will have them in a month or less =)

The 25mm coil market is pretty slim at the moment, since there are soo few selling them

I know you were looking for Canada specifically, but I have not even found anyone anywhere except for the 2 I called out

I typically wait till one of the 2 have a sale and scoop a couple then =)

YabbaDABBAdo

...any canadian hex-nail users suggest where to find a good 25mm coil? the few places i've found dont ship to canada :cry:

...tia
@just_the_flu Just a heads up disorderly has a sale going on today “love“ get you 20% off only today though I think but if you message them on Instagram they are great at responding and most likely will accommodate you for shipping good luck you’ll enjoy it

Top Bottom