Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...a couple software suggestions,
1. Default page option - I keep getting reverted to the device page (kind of annoying). It be nice to have default page the dashboard.
2. Option to save pre-set's (or just add another one for CUSTOM)- i have not played around with tuning since there is no option to save.

...even though i said earlier in this thread i would prefer a webapp over an app app... after using the webapp i can see an app app maybe being more responsive?? (user friendly? not sure the correct term im looking for)

... not sure if it's just me but i'm not staying logged in at all. every time i sign in it shows as I'm not signed in. The first night i had my HN-02 i was logged in but i have not been able to stay logged in since then...

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
...a couple software suggestions,
1. Default page option - I keep getting reverted to the device page (kind of annoying). It be nice to have default page the dashboard.
2. Option to save pre-set's (or just add another one for CUSTOM)- i have not played around with tuning since there is no option to save.

...even though i said earlier in this thread i would prefer a webapp over an app app... after using the webapp i can see an app app maybe being more responsive?? (user friendly? not sure the correct term im looking for)

... not sure if it's just me but i'm not staying logged in at all. every time i sign in it shows as I'm not signed in. The first night i had my HN-02 i was logged in but i have not been able to stay logged in since then...
We'll look into the issue with the logins.

1. Yes. I agree.

2. There IS an option to save tunings (and Presets save on their own when changed there should be no issue there). While you can't add your own full tuning yet you can 'Override' and save over any tuning.

If you scroll to the bottom of the tuning tab AFTER changing a tuning value you'll see controls to either reset or save that tuning.
iPHmStk.png

Just to reconfirm - HN02 is not recommended for 30mm coils?
We support pretty much anything with a standard pin config. We've sold 30mm coils as an option since our inception and even have a few customers using AH 30mm coils and the like.

The HN-02 has all the power of the HN-01.

------

Also, we already have Dab OS/2 ported to the HN-01 we're just trying to re-work the UI to make it more friendly to the touchscreen and then doing some tests.

It's not like we're writing another new OS here.

And native apps are coming as quick as we can get them out, guys.

Justpassedu

We'll look into the issue with the logins.

1. Yes. I agree.

2. There IS an option to save tunings (and Presets save on their own when changed there should be no issue there). While you can't add your own full tuning yet you can 'Override' and save over any tuning.

If you scroll to the bottom of the tuning tab AFTER changing a tuning value you'll see controls to either reset or save that tuning.
iPHmStk.png

We support pretty much anything with a standard pin config. We've sold 30mm coils as an option since our inception and even have a few customers using AH 30mm coils and the like.

The HN-02 has all the power of the HN-01.

------

Also, we already have Dab OS/2 ported to the HN-01 we're just trying to re-work the UI to make it more friendly to the touchscreen and then doing some tests.

It's not like we're writing another new OS here.

And native apps are coming as quick as we can get them out, guys.
Excited for Hn-01 updates , ty for the update. When ready will it just pop up on the screen and have a option to update via wifi ?

just_the_flu

....i'm trying really hard to like this...

... my biggest frustration with this is it's very hard to get actual temp to match set temp... im usually running ~20F higher than set temp, consistently, even after leaving for hours to "heat sink" or stabilise... also i have to run at much higher temps than im use to..

...i'm obviously doing it wrong, but i have tossed on my liger, sic and saph inserts with appropriate presets and have had poor results..

...also i find its taking much time to get back up to temp after you draw... like up to a minute..

...i am trying my hardest to get optimal performance because of everyone's raves from the hn01's .. maybe my expectations are out of line too? i just figured this would out preform the cheap controller i have been using...

just_the_flu,

YabbaDABBAdo

... my biggest frustration with this is it's very hard to get actual temp to match set temp... im usually running ~20F higher than set temp, consistently, even after leaving for hours to "heat sink" or stabilise... also i have to run at much higher temps than im use to..

...i'm obviously doing it wrong, but i have tossed on my liger, sic and saph inserts with appropriate presets and have had poor results..

...also i find its taking much time to get back up to temp after you draw... like up to a minute..

...i am trying my hardest to get optimal performance because of everyone's raves from the hn01's .. maybe my expectations are out of line too? i just figured this would out preform the cheap controller i have been using...[/QUOTE
what settings are you running on and what nail currently do you have it sounds like your problem could be with the coil fitment

what settings do you have it on and what nail do you have it on it sounds like it could be a fitment of the coil to the nail if you don’t have a snug fit of the coil or the coil is not spread properly fluctuation will occur
if you have the 16 mm or the 20 mm liger you need to spread the coil and tighten the coil to cover and fit the nail itself

Last edited:
YabbaDABBAdo,
Reactions: mutten840

Justpassedu

...i am trying my hardest to get optimal performance because of everyone's raves from the hn01's .. maybe my expectations are out of line too? i just figured this would out preform the cheap controller i have been using...
Don’t always believe a cheap controllers readings , I know some who have done tests with the exact same cheap nails and got way different readings from both. Also a coil alone can throw things off .

Justpassedu,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

You're not doing it wrong.

Welcome to non PID....PIDs.

Ive used the HN-01 and Kube One and both perform extremely similar when it comes to temps, +-~15-30 degrees or so......always, regardless of weather, wind, nail, coil etc etc. I also use a Omron E5cc based PID and its almost phenomenally stable, it reacts to outside forces on the temps immediately and is much faster at recovering to the set temp after heating up a cap or if Im out at a festival. I will also say that when I leave the naked coils out and off, the ambient reading of the E5cc is always MUCH closer to the actual ambient where as both the HN01 and Kube One are always 30-40 over. If you go back through the thread, Ive been talking about this "issue" since the first week I had a Hex and there are a few posts regarding theories the IC based PIDs are being "hyper accurate" but my experiences with the E5cc leads me to think otherwise and it may just be how IC controllers are......really only time will tell as we are only up to 3 IC based controllers now I believe, Hex, Kube, Errlectric. Errl being a bit different as its not RasPi based like the other 2 and should also note that in my experience the Concentration Station performs like the E5cc and holds an amazingly stable temp.

With a Liger you should notice practically zero temp droop during a dab, unless you're maybe using a higher mass cap or you have the draw rate of a shop vac. The Halos, if you use one, will droop quite a bit depending on your cap but with the V2 from dnail, the one you should be using, you'll have about a ~15-40 degree drop unless you preheat the cap.

Now having said all of that, aside from the "unstable temps" my overall dab experience is pretty similar and my set temps, across the same nails, on the different controllers stays pretty much the same with the Errl ti nail being the lowest but only just.

This is by far the biggest issue I had/have with my Hex but I don't really feel its unusual as I still have yet to see a decently long video showing a "rock stable" Hex and there have been other users posting about the same unstable temps.

I already have a HN02 on the way and I plan on deferring upgrading the 01 to DabOS/2 and really getting deep with a comparison of the 2 software versions side by side as I have a feeling its going to get "tighter" through the refinements in the updates.

just_the_flu

...im using the right settings to my coil, and nail when i tested it whit liger as thats only preset...

...i really want to use with my showerhead... i guess ill have to get use to/accept the fact where i was one hitting a bowl at 700f before, not i have to to 780 to get the same.... (act temp says 800)

...i found for showerhead act temp is closest to set on med standrd nail.. but drops ~20f during draw but takes long to get back to temp...

...i like this, i think i have to change my thinking when it comes to this..

just_the_flu,

Justpassedu

...im using the right settings to my coil, and nail when i tested it whit liger as thats only preset...

...i really want to use with my showerhead... i guess ill have to get use to/accept the fact where i was one hitting a bowl at 700f before, not i have to to 780 to get the same.... (act temp says 800)

...i found for showerhead act temp is closest to set on med standrd nail.. but drops ~20f during draw but takes long to get back to temp...

My sh does not drop 20deg when hitting , maybe 5-10deg at most sometimes. Are you using a coil cover and what coil are you using ? I’m at 600-650deg with my sh and milking huge pieces easy .

Justpassedu,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

I scanned back a few pages but didn't notice.....how are you getting your temp data?

Ill just remind everyone that EVERYTHING other than your ACTUAL DISH TEMP.....is really just a guideline at best so unless you're fully confident that you've nailed down accurate dish temps (and as an aside, personally, I feel NO ONE has pulled this off at a scientifically.....IMO..... repeatable level) I wouldn't get to stressed over the numbers as long as at the end of the day you can get good solid dabs/twax sessions out of your gear.

Also, Ive yet to use a flower pot but everything I see about them says a relatively high amount of metal mass, so Im also wondering how you are getting closer deltas with a lower mass profile....and Id also guess its your cap thats draining your heat, again unless you're a shopvac, a airdraw is not going to cool your nail that much.

YabbaDABBAdo

What liger tho???......if it’s a 20mm or 16mm then it’s a coil fitment issue
Also make sure your running the unit with “coil” setting instead of “nail”

YabbaDABBAdo,

buddingglasshead

It's been two weeks and I haven't received a response from the girls. I emailed a week ago as well requesting for an update. I guess they're busy? I'll ask what I was in there here to see if anyone one else can help.

I have a HN-01 that I received in a trade recently and it had some minor issues with the ramping up/down of temps but today has been stable af at set temp every time I've glanced at the screen. Haven't done that much dabbing today so I have no clue how well it's doing (going to test this out in a bit)

What exactly is/was the SD card issue? My unit supposedly has/had it but it's been working out of box for me. (minus ramping which stopped today and connectivity issues which I haven't bothered to actually diagnose.) I have an SD card to pop in it as the unit came with it but haven't opened up the unit as I was awaiting a message from the girls before opening it up. It looks like it shouldn't be any issue to open up but didn't want to proceed before receiving a response about how to properly open it up.

Can someone please PM which company's coils have an issue with HN-01. I have a 20mm coil that's already stretched for my Liger and I'd like to use it. I remember reading previously that a certain company's coils aren't cohesive but no mention as it was potentially against ToS.

buddingglasshead,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
It's been two weeks and I haven't received a response from the girls. I emailed a week ago as well requesting for an update. I guess they're busy? I'll ask what I was in there here to see if anyone one else can help.

I have a HN-01 that I received in a trade recently and it had some minor issues with the ramping up/down of temps but today has been stable af at set temp every time I've glanced at the screen. Haven't done that much dabbing today so I have no clue how well it's doing (going to test this out in a bit)

What exactly is/was the SD card issue? My unit supposedly has/had it but it's been working out of box for me. (minus ramping which stopped today and connectivity issues which I haven't bothered to actually diagnose.) I have an SD card to pop in it as the unit came with it but haven't opened up the unit as I was awaiting a message from the girls before opening it up. It looks like it shouldn't be any issue to open up but didn't want to proceed before receiving a response about how to properly open it up.

Can someone please PM which company's coils have an issue with HN-01. I have a 20mm coil that's already stretched for my Liger and I'd like to use it. I remember reading previously that a certain company's coils aren't cohesive but no mention as it was potentially against ToS.

AFAIK Hex-Nail support all coils with standard XLR pin-outs (common examples being D-Nail & Auber).
I've used D-Nail, Hex-Nail, and AugustHaus coils with my HN-01.

No idea on the SD card issue.

You can’t use High5 coils.

The SD card issue is that the SD card that stores the software inside the unit can become corrupted over time for some reason.

alittledabwilldoya'

The SD card issue is that the SD card that stores the software inside the unit can become corrupted over time for some reason.

Ahh, pretty sure that's due to the SD card eventually storing too much data.
I believe this is what caused the erratic temperature ramping and screen lock that some (myself included) experienced.

Turning the unit off every once in awhile seems to take of those particular problems.
I'm powering off once a day and haven't had either issue since.

buddingglasshead

AFAIK Hex-Nail support all coils with standard XLR pin-outs (common examples being D-Nail & Auber).
I've used D-Nail, Hex-Nail, and AugustHaus coils with my HN-01.

No idea on the SD card issue.

Currently using a Dnail but wanted to switch to a Auber that was stretched already. I power on in the morning and power off at night. On the rare occasion I go outside, I also turn it off.

Thanks! The Auber coil is ready to go then. Powered off the HN-01 and switching it out now! Kind of excited to see if there is a difference in performance. Dnail isn't currently stretched but fits fairly well.

The unit I have has had the SD card issue twice and I have a replacement on hand but everything seems fine so far.

EDIT::
Switched coils and back to wild temperature changes.

Last edited:
buddingglasshead,

anrchy666

Here is 6.5 mins of my screen while taking 2 dabs on my HN-01. Using a liger banger with sic insert 20mm.

Last edited:
anrchy666,

just_the_flu

My sh does not drop 20deg when hitting , maybe 5-10deg at most sometimes. Are you using a coil cover and what coil are you using ? I’m at 600-650deg with my sh and milking huge pieces easy .

...i am using the coil cover, and my set temp is 711°F (reads 730°F) atm... i get light brown abv where i was one hitting at 700°F getting coffee brown avb...

...like i said i think my philosophy has to change... i do like this, i just have to get over having it work exactly how i was use to..

Ill just remind everyone that EVERYTHING other than your ACTUAL DISH TEMP.....is really just a guideline at best so unless you're fully confident that you've nailed down accurate dish temps (and as an aside, personally, I feel NO ONE has pulled this off at a scientifically.....IMO..... repeatable level) I wouldn't get to stressed over the numbers as long as at the end of the day you can get good solid dabs/twax sessions out of your gear.

...i'm confused, are you saying that the calculated dish temp is the only accurate temp? and that the actual coil temp is not accurate? this is probably my problem because i was going off coil temps being the guide line and not the calculated dish temp as my old controller did not do this, it only showed set and actual temps of the coil.... i will try this tonight :tup:

just_the_flu,

Justpassedu

...i am using the coil cover, and my set temp is 711°F (reads 730°F) atm... i get light brown abv where i was one hitting at 700°F getting coffee brown avb...

...like i said i think my philosophy has to change... i do like this, i just have to get over having it work exactly how i was use to..

...i'm confused, are you saying that the calculated dish temp is the only accurate temp? and that the actual coil temp is not accurate? this is probably my problem because i was going off coil temps being the guide line and not the calculated dish temp as my old controller did not do this, it only showed set and actual temps of the coil.... i will try this tonight :tup:
What i been trying to say is not all coils are created equal and will provide a different reading depending on fitment. I had went through a few different ones , some that tightly hugged my sh and touched the top and bottom perfectly and some that did not fit as well providing different readings. This can all play a factor in your readouts unfortunately. Now i been using a coil that i think fits pretty well and i do get a 5-10degree drop when hitting but i think that could mostly be from my cold carb cap. I'm on standard heavy at the moment , gonna revert back to medium and see how that does shortly.

alittledabwilldoya'

I'm not sure if I understand, but ...

I've found that when you have the "Controller Tracking" set to Nail the temps fluctuate quite a bit.
If you set the "Controller Tracking" to Coil the temps are extremely stable.

I run my HN-01 with a 30mm V3 Liger + Sapphire insert on an AugustHaus custom coil using the Standard Heavy settings and am extremely pleased with the performance.

Prior to getting the AH custom coil I was using a D-Nail flat that was spread for better bucket contact, also with great results (although not as good as with the big ol' AH coil).
In this case I had my HN-01 set to 30mm V3 Liger Sapphire.

:leaf:

alittledabwilldoya',

just_the_flu

I've found that when you have the "Controller Tracking" set to Nail the temps fluctuate quite a bit.
If you set the "Controller Tracking" to Coil the temps are extremely stable.

...thanks :) where can i find the setting to switch "controller tracking" ... sorry at work at the moment...

just_the_flu,
Reactions: muunch
Top Bottom