Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

ichibaneye

Vapriot, Traveler & Vaporizer/ing lover!
Just a heads up until you get the official word from Ava; they're currently going full steam on the new HN-02 "Red Queen" units and have ceased production of the HN-01. The HN-02 units don't have a touch screen (or a display at all) and are exclusively controlled via an app for iPhone or Android (I presume there's regular browser access as well, but don't quote me on it). They are aware that there is a demand for the integrated touchscreen interface and have unofficially mentioned that at some point in the future, even if they don't release an official unit with this (I reckon they will- but that's speculation), that they'd be willing to look at fabricating custom units.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm waiting for a unit with an integrated touchscreen. I'd also like Sublimator support, but I understand the complications there and if they decide not to go with that, I'll still pick one up to use with a Liger and a Flower Pot. I'm happy to pay for a custom unit- I'd even be keen to fabricate the wooden enclosure myself, but I'm not in any rush. There's only so much that a couple of girls and a dream can accomplish in one day so I'm happy to be patient and wait to hear an official word on what my options will be when they have the time to look at expanded support and custom orders. As soon as the words out I'll be throwing some cash at them, though- I love what they're about and I want to be a part of supporting that.

THANK YOU! Your critical thinking and not taking offense to comments or things personally in the thread is highly :nod:appreciated. You understood.

One guess is with all of the buggy screens on the original units is that maybe the screens alone had not been R&D'd long enough if not at all really.
Just that one part alone if buggy would cause many problems with the unit, returns, trouble shooting and such.

I like the idea of their newest release. It's just not for me even if they also go browser too. Which would be a big mistake if they didn't.

Niche items are okay sometimes but you don't want to start alienating consumers that would otherwise hemorrhage their money for you.

A product should always be sound before moving onto other things. That's just an expected and mostly followed standard business practice, 2+2=!:ko:

I've always been behind the ladies and love what they've taken on.....baaaaaaawwwlzeee!:tup::rockon::clap:

Like you I'll also hold out and wait to see what blossoms. If memory serves me correct here Hex-Nail said they would do custom orders and units when it was possible to do so minus the normal work load. I'm paraphrasing a bit here.

Hopefully they've not decided to backtrack on that. Because you and I might be waiting for a while.

I've found another controller out there that does all of the things here. It also is nailed down and a sound and tested unit.

It's got a type of animal in it's name. I'll not drop it here though because I have no desire to do so. But it's not the Hex-Nail. It's not even close to pleasing on the eyes like the beautiful Hex-Nail. It's just NOT THE HEX-NAIL!

It shall be mine one day. :bowdown::freak:

ichibaneye,
Reactions: Elemen0py

PoopMachine

The screen isnt buggy.... it was a little wonky on release but they fixed that pretty quick. The screen just isnt really needed. I adjust mine more via web browser than I do using the screen.

My complaint with the screen is its not real precise so you have to be mindful of where youre touching. I think apps and a browser are way better. If you're behind a router and you dont have the web port NAT'd to the Internet, I dont know why you would case if its on your wifi.

ichibaneye

The screen isnt buggy.... it was a little wonky on release but they fixed that pretty quick. The screen just isnt really needed. I adjust mine more via web browser than I do using the screen.

My complaint with the screen is its not real precise so you have to be mindful of where youre touching. I think apps and a browser are way better. If you're behind a router and you dont have the web port NAT'd to the Internet, I dont know why you would case if its on your wifi.

FOR YOU PERSONALLY and your reasoning it isn't needed. Understandable. FOR ME IT IS. Done. :tup:

Thank you for the added information on the screens. It's much appreciated. Late. :peace:

ichibaneye,

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.

FOR YOU PERSONALLY and your reasoning it isn't needed. Understandable. FOR ME IT IS. Done. :tup:

Thank you for the added information on the screens. It's much appreciated. Late. :peace:

While I haven't controlled the Hex-Nail via a browser or app, I've found the touchscreen to be quite good.
I like having the unit as a stand alone, although I'm still thinking of getting a Red Queen as well.

Having recently updated my software from 1.2.8 to 1.2.10 I can say that, at least for V3 30mm Liger, the vaporization seems more complete and temps are more stable.

AND @HexNailAva ...
Let me say that the ladies at Hex-Nail definitely provide superlative customer service!
They recently went out of their way to make an issue right.
Uber-Duber big Props!

:rockon:

@ichibaneye My apologies for being passive-aggressive a page back.

:peace:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I'm some where in between.

I want an interface but not on the box.

I'm looking forward to the smart watch interface. My plan is to mount the smart watch in a wooden frame stood up by a curved metal stand. Should work out to be nice and small but with the most relevant info on screen and ability to adjust the temp.

For anything more complex I'm happy to use an app or browser.

What I really like is the Dab OS2 platform and a controller that's capable of getting better as time goes on and updates bring new features or enhancements.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
While you boys are thinking small time here, I'm just waiting for Nintendo to release a browser for the switch so I can use that... :haw: (truth told I'll probably use my phone or touchscreen laptop most of the time I'm guessing)

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
While you boys are thinking small time here, I'm just waiting for Nintendo to release a browser for the switch so I can use that... :haw: (truth told I'll probably use my phone or touchscreen laptop most of the time I'm guessing)

I'm looking forward to hooking it up to my* VR headset and taking the red pill. Let's see how far the rabbit hole goes :D

* I don't really have a VR headset but I did get to try the batman demo on a friend's PlayStation VR. Better than what I expected but not sharp enough.

GreenHopper,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

exactly this. the screen worked fine, it really did, but it wasn't always or even often the most efficient method of controlling it and it being an expensive component, i can definitely see the advantage of a screen less option

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Maybe they can do it but I don't see watch support next year.

Fwiw you can control the HN in VR with your phone already. Although games are cooler than a huge graph.

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Maybe they can do it but I don't see watch support next year.

Fwiw you can control the HN in VR with your phone already. Although games are cooler than a huge graph.

Haha wasn't really serious about the VR thing ;)

I'm aware the watch interface isn't ready yet but when it is that's the route I'll be taking. More than happy to use a browser or app in the mean time.

GreenHopper,

Justpassedu

I love my Hex-Nail , it's beautifully crafted but i have to admit the screen is the most buggy thing about mine and almost un-usable for me. I can change my temps easy but having to scroll or change any pid settings is a chore. It does not react properly to touch or swipes . Maybe something is wrong with mine but half the time touching my finger and trying to scroll up or down just barely registers, same thing using a stylus. Its a good thing i can use my ipad/iphone for this .

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I love my Hex-Nail , it's beautifully crafted but i have to admit the screen is the most buggy thing about mine and almost un-usable for me. I can change my temps easy but having to scroll or change any pid settings is a chore. It does not react properly to touch or swipes . Maybe something is wrong with mine but half the time touching my finger and trying to scroll up or down just barely registers, same thing using a stylus. Its a good thing i can use my ipad/iphone for this .
PID would've been better if you could at least scroll to the number you want. I find it easiest to select on the edge then where I want. Otherwise it may not even move. On web you can just press on the area and then arrow key to adjust values.

ichibaneye

Like i said before a few posts back.

I just didn't want to get into a back in forth with anyone. I'm over that childish ish!

So @Justpassedu thanks for reiterating this. I've also seen the exact compliant from other users too. Thus my comment based on facts and observation on what others have presented.

It's not like I'm talking out of my ass here. Some people just like to be abrasive just to be I guess and that's unfortunate because we all love this life and should be chillin and elevating one another.

Captain obvious out. Peace, love and hugs y'all! :D

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Like i said before a few posts back.

I just didn't want to get into a back in forth with anyone. I'm over that childish ish!

So @Justpassedu thanks for reiterating this. I've also seen the exact compliant from other users too. Thus my comment based on facts and observation on what others have presented.

It's not like I'm talking out of my ass here. Some people just like to be abrasive just to be I guess and that's unfortunate because we all love this life and should be chillin and elevating one another.

Captain obvious out. Peace, love and hugs y'all! :D
I just wanted to wrap this up by saying, in general, my apologies again for being snippy. Been having a rough few weeks with the move and all. We barely made rent this month and we haven't even dabbed in around 2 weeks because we're riding the line for bills right now.

If I'd been a little elevated it probably would've been a completely different response.

So, no matter what you have my apologies, friend. Didn't mean to get blood boiling. :peace:

@HexNailAva Im new to FC but just been through this whole thread to know more about my hex which Im actually loving so far. Im in the UK btw we have been in contact through IG as I got one of the last five purplehearts. I have been a dnail SiC/Sapphire user for years and the change to hexnail and 30mm Liger was a step up that I certainly didnt expect so congrats on this amazing device for both you and @CCA710

The interface is great, the temp is solid (never thought Id actually notice the difference since my first dab) and the glob/uptemp function is another game changer specially for those who enjoy torch dabs and cant keep their mouth shut "im not much into enails" gtfo

Apart from that Id like to know if theres any chance of us seeing an additional "battery pack" for the hexnail? I think this is the only actual "issue" with any enail.. the fact its not portable.

If thats not an intention, is there any way of getting your support into building one? Knowing the right power consumption of the unit vs converters is a important factor as already tried something similar with the dnail in the past and it worked but didnt hold up for too long.

Anyway big up again for this amazing device. Game changer. Definitely not just a pretty face!!

JigMelon

I have been a dnail SiC/Sapphire user for years and the change to hexnail and 30mm Liger was a step up that I certainly didnt expect

I'm upgrading from a DIY MyPin controller hooked up to a china quartz e-banger (been swapping instead of q-tipping) and a boss titanium controller (rebranded generic) hooked up to an infiniti w/ OG insert and OG enail head. I'm upgrading to the HN-02 and a 16mm Liger, and I couldn't be more excited to experience the step up!

alittledabwilldoya'

I'm upgrading from a DIY MyPin controller hooked up to a china quartz e-banger (been swapping instead of q-tipping) and a boss titanium controller (rebranded generic) hooked up to an infiniti w/ OG insert and OG enail head. I'm upgrading to the HN-02 and a 16mm Liger, and I couldn't be more excited to experience the step up!

Prepare to have your socks knocked off!

:D

New Hex owner here.

Let me just say that @Ava at Hex-Nail was absolutely amazing. She immediately countered my problem with a solution and worked to answer any questions I asked. Just the absolute best customer service. I had no idea they were in the middle of a move, but still, she put in work to try and deliver my unit on time, despite being out of 16mm coils (she sent a replacement coil for free until the 16 arrives).

After reading through this thread over the last few hours, I feel pretty lucky to have been able to buy such badass piece of tech.

Preface:

Almost every dab I've ever taken has been from a quartz banger, with a torch for heat. Randomly, at about the middle of August, I decided to buy an e-nail. My fiance and I had just moved into a nice house (like the kind of place where it looks odd to have torches all over the place) and I was put in charge of finding a more presentable way to display our love for cannabis haha.

We wanted to find something for our living room area. Something that looked high-end, clean, and professional; the Hex-Nail is freaking it.

If friends come and they dab, we dab them without having to change a thing. The Hex-Nail is clean as fuck and hot as hell in 3-4 minutes flat. The clean look of the Hex, combined with a nice discreet rig, lets us just stay ready for lift off. Friends that don't dab? Her father (aka our landlord;))? We can just tuck everything down out of the way. No need to unplug everything and move it all into hidey-holes. We can now dab while we study. Sure, we could have before, but this way we get to enjoy the entire experience. We don't have to "get anything ready," the same issue you always have with the torch. It's just ready.

Enter the Hex... an amazing looking nail, able to sit on my coffee table year-round; with the added bonus of not setting our books on fire or melting our laptops
;)

This thing is deadly hot, real quick, and is eaaaasy to operate. Lots of options, so I'm still trying to figure those out, but it works damn good right out of the box.

Still piecing together my life without an all-quartz banger and torch. Currently using a knockoff titanium nail with a quartz bucket until my 16mm coil arrives - I've got the Liger with the quartz bucket (seeing a trend here?) for the 16mm coil I have coming in the mail, but what do you all suggest for the flat coil?

As far as a more permanent nail, I'm looking for something quality, not necessarily quartz, but it would be nice :). Just wanted to get some community feedback.

Also, are there any common areas where setting suggestions or procedures are documented?

I was curious about some of the interface/menu items mostly, I thought I'd ask here since this was the only place I've found where the Hex Nail is being discussed in detail.

Any suggestions on figuring out the WiFi/Bluetooth control possibilities?

I've read people posting like they already have this option, how can I set up my Hex to be controllable via WiFi? Mine never says it's connected to the internet (despite my typing in the password a hundred times). Worried it may be messed up in this regard, I plan on emailing @Ava if someone in here can't help.

tl;dr

Please read the large font questions and provide some of your amazingly insightful input:leaf:

alittledabwilldoya'

New Hex owner here.

Let me just say that @Ava at Hex-Nail was absolutely amazing. She immediately countered my problem with a solution and worked to answer any questions I asked. Just the absolute best customer service. I had no idea they were in the middle of a move, but still, she put in work to try and deliver my unit on time, despite being out of 16mm coils (she sent a replacement coil for free until the 16 arrives).

After reading through this thread over the last few hours, I feel pretty lucky to have been able to buy such badass piece of tech.

Preface:

Almost every dab I've ever taken has been from a quartz banger, with a torch for heat. Randomly, at about the middle of August, I decided to buy an e-nail. My fiance and I had just moved into a nice house (like the kind of place where it looks odd to have torches all over the place) and I was put in charge of finding a more presentable way to display our love for cannabis haha.

We wanted to find something for our living room area. Something that looked high-end, clean, and professional; the Hex-Nail is freaking it.

If friends come and they dab, we dab them without having to change a thing. The Hex-Nail is clean as fuck and hot as hell in 3-4 minutes flat. The clean look of the Hex, combined with a nice discreet rig, lets us just stay ready for lift off. Friends that don't dab? Her father (aka our landlord;))? We can just tuck everything down out of the way. No need to unplug everything and move it all into hidey-holes. We can now dab while we study. Sure, we could have before, but this way we get to enjoy the entire experience. We don't have to "get anything ready," the same issue you always have with the torch. It's just ready.

Enter the Hex... an amazing looking nail, able to sit on my coffee table year-round; with the added bonus of not setting our books on fire or melting our laptops
;)

This thing is deadly hot, real quick, and is eaaaasy to operate. Lots of options, so I'm still trying to figure those out, but it works damn good right out of the box.

Still piecing together my life without an all-quartz banger and torch. Currently using a knockoff titanium nail with a quartz bucket until my 16mm coil arrives - I've got the Liger with the quartz bucket (seeing a trend here?) for the 16mm coil I have coming in the mail, but what do you all suggest for the flat coil?

As far as a more permanent nail, I'm looking for something quality, not necessarily quartz, but it would be nice :). Just wanted to get some community feedback.

Also, are there any common areas where setting suggestions or procedures are documented?

I was curious about some of the interface/menu items mostly, I thought I'd ask here since this was the only place I've found where the Hex Nail is being discussed in detail.

I've read people posting like they already have this option, how can I set up my Hex to be controllable via WiFi? Mine never says it's connected to the internet (despite my typing in the password a hundred times). Worried it may be messed up in this regard, I plan on emailing @Ava if someone in here can't help.

tl;dr

Please read the large font questions and provide some of your amazingly insightful input:leaf:

I also love my Hex-Nail, welcome aboard!
Regarding nails for the flat coil, I would say 30mm V3 Liger (+ insert of your choice).
Either SiC or Sapphire is superior to the Quartz in my experience.

I also like the D-Nail Halos (I've used all three: Quartz, SiC, Sapphire).
I still have a SiC Halo for travel.
However, I find the V3 Liger to be a better vaporizer, especially when powered by the Hex-Nail.
Prior to buying my HN-01 I had an Auber RDK-200, which I quite liked, but it didn't seem to be able to drive the 30mm Liger (driving the 20mm was no problem).
Post HN-01 I've been all 30mm Liger.

On another note, has anyone used the AugustHaus custom coil for the V3 30mm Liger?
https://www.theaugusthaus.com/product-page/custom-coil-for-the-cca710-flat-liger

I recall another FC member noting that their D-Nail controller worked with the custom coil.
The pin-outs are standard, but the power requirements are higher than other coils.
I've asked @HexNailAva, as I don't want to damage my beloved HN-01.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer

tl;dr

Welcome to the club HN is truly amazing piece of hardware and software. You'll want to contact Ava again and she can send you the manual. I did have to log into my icloud online to read the document (seriously tried everything else), if you have a Mac then it just goes through Pages.

The manual will help with the Wifi, but there is no bluetooth. Imo bluetooth is awesome but the security isn't there.

If you are inputting your wifi settings correctly then I'm not sure what to tell you besides maybe contacting Ava for that as well. But I believe that manual should help.

I am exclusively using my HN with the NewVape 16mm Flowerpots. Highly recommend if you ever want some good herb usage.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
New Hex owner here.

Preface:

;)

tl;dr

Does it see your network? after you input the pw it should think for like 2 mins then be on your network with an ip. if you have the ip, just navigate to it in your web browser on the same subnet (192.168.0.hexnailIP:8888)

I also love my Hex-Nail, welcome aboard!
Regarding nails for the flat coil, I would say 30mm V3 Liger (+ insert of your choice).
Either SiC or Sapphire is superior to the Quartz in my experience.

I also like the D-Nail Halos (I've used all three: Quartz, SiC, Sapphire).
I still have a SiC Halo for travel.
However, I find the V3 Liger to be a better vaporizer, especially when powered by the Hex-Nail.

I agree with this, the Halo has more volume, the Liger has more flavors

anrchy666

:peace:[/QUOTE]
New Hex owner here.

Preface:

;)

tl;dr

Is your router by chance apple? I had connecting issues with my apple switched to my netgear and no issues one day when I'm not lazy i may troubleshoot it lol

anrchy666,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

Is your router by chance apple? I had connecting issues with my apple switched to my netgear and no issues one day when I'm not lazy i may troubleshoot it lol[/QUOTE]

it should just be 10.0.1.something:8888 aside from the default ip range being different, there is no default setting or feature that apple routers have that prevent this from working.

ensabbahnur,

anrchy666

It wasn't connecting to the router itself put in pass trys for a few mins then nothing when i hooked up a netgear it connected right away and had no issues to date.

anrchy666,
Top Bottom