Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
Nice!!! Are you into glob mode at all yet? I also run my 20mm sapphire around 640*.

Oh yeah!
I've got my glob mode @ +30/+30.
I think I got those #s from you?

:lol::ko:

Here's another shot of the unit (in the background) with my new Refined Klein:

VcOPL8B.jpg

:rockon:

alittledabwilldoya'

^^^ If that's at me, thank you I'm super happy.
:D

On other fronts, I typically leave my Hex-Nail on through the night as I may wake in the middle of the night at which point I will do a small dab to help me get back to sleep.

Odd thing happened last night: when I am doing a midsleep dab I get a lot pop and sizzle; then think damn that was harsh.
I look at the coil temp and it is ~830* @ 0% power output, temp falling; no wonder it's harsh. (?!?)
I also noticed that my Sapphire insert iwas squeaky clean (that's odd)
I go back to sleep.
In the morning the nail temp is where it's supposed to be @ 630*, so I hit the shower.
When I go to do a morning dab, the nail temp on the screen reads 630*, but the nail is cold. (?!?)
Then I notice that the color of the bucket of my 20mm Liger 3.0 is severely altered by exposure to heat (that explains the sparking Sapphire insert).
That's really odd, as I use a cleaning cycle that shoots the temp up to 1000* for 20 minutes and there has never been any alteration in bucket color.
It really seems like a "cleaning cycle" started in the middle of the night and didn't stop for a LONG time and or went to a higher temp than 1000*

I figure it's the new (less than a month old) coil that's burnt out but, the ol' RDK-200 seems to drive the coil without issues.
But when I try the coil on the Hex-Nail again after returning home, it seems to be functioning normally. (WTF !?!)
Yep, functioning normally, just did a tasty dab of live resin.

Anyone else have weird poltergeists using your set-ups when you're not looking?
I'm not that concerned with the color shift, even though I did like my deep blue vs. my now teal bucket; just a little worried and confused.

@HexNailAva, is this an isolated data point? (It is for me anyway).

:shrug:

PoopMachine

It is not an isolated thing.

I started leaving my unit on with the heater powered down and Ive had one instance where the coil powered itself on and started heating up.

I wrote it off as me doing something stupid and forgetting I had done it but then I had an issue where I turned the coil on, it showed it was heating, DC was 95%+ but the coil wasnt actually getting hot. A power cycle fixed that.

All this started after the last update.

alittledabwilldoya'

It is not an isolated thing.

I started leaving my unit on with the heater powered down and Ive had one instance where the coil powered itself on and started heating up.

I wrote it off as me doing something stupid and forgetting I had done it but then I had an issue where I turned the coil on, it showed it was heating, DC was 95%+ but the coil wasnt actually getting hot. A power cycle fixed that.

All this started after the last update.

Hmmm, that's good to know.
Thank you for the response.
I'm not all the way up to date, currently running 1.2.8 (I think current version is 1.2.10?).

When you say aa "power cycle" fixed it, do you mean powering down the Hex-Nail and then turning it back on?

alittledabwilldoya',
Reactions: mutten840

bellas

^^^ If that's at me, thank you I'm super happy.
:D

On other fronts, I typically leave my Hex-Nail on through the night as I may wake in the middle of the night at which point I will do a small dab to help me get back to sleep.

Odd thing happened last night: when I am doing a midsleep dab I get a lot pop and sizzle; then think damn that was harsh.
I look at the coil temp and it is ~830* @ 0% power output, temp falling; no wonder it's harsh. (?!?)
I also noticed that my Sapphire insert iwas squeaky clean (that's odd)
I go back to sleep.
In the morning the nail temp is where it's supposed to be @ 630*, so I hit the shower.
When I go to do a morning dab, the nail temp on the screen reads 630*, but the nail is cold. (?!?)
Then I notice that the color of the bucket of my 20mm Liger 3.0 is severely altered by exposure to heat (that explains the sparking Sapphire insert).
That's really odd, as I use a cleaning cycle that shoots the temp up to 1000* for 20 minutes and there has never been any alteration in bucket color.
It really seems like a "cleaning cycle" started in the middle of the night and didn't stop for a LONG time and or went to a higher temp than 1000*

I figure it's the new (less than a month old) coil that's burnt out but, the ol' RDK-200 seems to drive the coil without issues.
But when I try the coil on the Hex-Nail again after returning home, it seems to be functioning normally. (WTF !?!)
Yep, functioning normally, just did a tasty dab of live resin.

Anyone else have weird poltergeists using your set-ups when you're not looking?
I'm not that concerned with the color shift, even though I did like my deep blue vs. my now teal bucket; just a little worried and confused.

@HexNailAva, is this an isolated data point? (It is for me anyway).

:shrug:
This has happened to me numerous times. It seems to be getting worse or just more things going wrong with the screen? I caught my nail glowing beet red and the Hexnail read it was at 575 my pre set temp. When I tried to change the temp on the screen nothing happened but I could change other settings. I turned unit off and powered back on. Works fine for a while then out of the blue it happens again. Hoping the next update will fix it. My nail sometimes reads the right temp but is ice cold. That's the worst!

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Gonna try to get everyone an update from Liz today as well but we've been looking into this issue. She seems fairly sure she knows what the issue is.

Either way, I'm still trying to get use of my hand back, but there's no more healing time left. We're not 100% sure at this point what the issue really is but we aren't insured here and that's...just kinda how it is for now...

I'll be trying to wrap up the pile of backed-up communications today and get more enclosures rolling. We have started a small issue queue for what y'all are seeing right now.

Could anyone running into these issues shoot me a fresh PM with their name, (current) software version, and device ID in it for me? It'll go a long way to helping us isolate the issue quicker.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
On another note:

What do y'all want to see as far as the site goes? There's a lot of updating to be done even just to help folks understand 'Why Hex-Nail', but we'd like to hear any and all suggestions on that front.

We're trying to get a cart up soon that will minimize the work on both sides for purchasing extra coils, etc. The Quick Start Guide is being updated and will finally see a tab on the site itself.

Any other suggestions are welcome so I can compile a few quick lists for later.

Elemen0py

On another note:

What do y'all want to see as far as the site goes? There's a lot of updating to be done even just to help folks understand 'Why Hex-Nail', but we'd like to hear any and all suggestions on that front.

We're trying to get a cart up soon that will minimize the work on both sides for purchasing extra coils, etc. The Quick Start Guide is being updated and will finally see a tab on the site itself.

Any other suggestions are welcome so I can compile a few quick lists for later.
Hey Ava. Did you get the message I sent through the "contact us" section of the Hex-Nail site? I didn't want to just assume that you'd be ok with the requests that I made in my previous post here so I've been holding off on placing the order until you gave them the thumbs up. If you did receive the message you can always contact me directly on that email.

Ok... Site suggestions.

1) Definitely more purchasing options for people who want multiple cables/coils or none at all, but then it sounds like you've got that covered with the cart thing.

2) More photos of the wood options! At the moment when you click on the various selections, it only changes the first image in the set and the following images are of specific wood types that don't change with your selection. It would be cool if you had a photo of each wood type from each angle. I don't know about anyone else but I have spent waaaay too long flicking through those photos trying to decide which one I'd be most happy with. For example the purpleheart looks amazing but I've never seen lacquered purpleheart look that much of a vibrant indigo so I wish I had more shots to confirm that. Also, perhaps a shot or two of multiple units of the same type together to give an indication of variations within each type, though I know this is asking for a lot. I know there's more shots on the blog but it would be nice to have them in the store section. This indecision on my part is one of the reasons that I'm thinking I want to go for something custom, if that's possible (again, check my previous post).

3) Some kind of a future roadmap would be cool. I can understand that this might be a tough one because you don't want to present the product as something that may change in future if it'll encourage people to hold off on their purchase to wait and see. But then I've seen discussion of the possibility of a unit with two cables, allowing one for flowers and one for concentrates and I would love to know if that's a thing because that would be ideal for me. I also know there's a lot of requests coming your way for support for various products, so if you had some kind of reference for what these would be and roughly when we might be able to expect them, then I wouldn't have to constantly fight the urge to keep asking you about Sublimator support etc... I know I'm not the only one in that boat. In addition, if you added to that road map a retrospective list of updates that you've pushed out it would also show people how dedicated you guys are to updates and improvements to the product beyond point of sale, because that's one of the most awesome things you've got going.

4) Sell it harder! There's so much awesome wizardry going on with this wicked piece of kit and I feel that someone who doesn't follow these forums or something similar will miss out on that knowledge if they just hit that main page. I can see someone checking out the page and going "ok so it's just an e-nail with a touchscreen instead of a simple temp setting and with the ability to save multiple settings, why bother?" Some specifics of just what makes the product so much more versatile would help get the benefits across. You mention glob mode and sesh mode, but there's no explanation of what those are. A fancy vid giving a brief run-down on the main page would make a huge difference to a lot of people, I think. But I swear to god Ava if that video has a ukulele, a xylophone, and whistling in the background music like everyone else does for promotional vids I'm out.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Hey Ava. Did you get the message I sent through the "contact us" section of the Hex-Nail site? I didn't want to just assume that you'd be ok with the requests that I made in my previous post here so I've been holding off on placing the order until you gave them the thumbs up. If you did receive the message you can always contact me directly on that email.

I'll hunt it down. Our email confirmation / Inbox has been acting up on the back end and not sending me (personally) emails that come in.

I'll try to get back to you by the end of the day.

Oh, and keep the suggestions coming, guys. Working on new site content will be a bigger focus once my wrist can actually stand to type all day again.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Just wanted to get folks here an update on the current batch.

Anyone with an order waiting to be filled, please read.

Lots of good updates below!

All of the parts are ordered and on the way. Most of the enclosures are milled and around half of them are finished. There's about 20 units in this upcoming batch. We're SOLD OUT of Zebrawood and it will most likely not be making a return (for a myriad of reasons).

Coils are on the way, too. For anyone awaiting an extra, we're hoping to have your coils out to you next week.

We've also got a new coupon code for anyone on the fence that will take your cart down to $400.

Use code: FIRESALE-USA (US, Mexico, or Canada)

Oh...and for all the folks that were promised extra goodies...we're hoping to have some of them start trickling in soon. ;)

Just wanted to get folks here an update on the current batch.

Anyone with an order waiting to be filled, please read.

Lots of good updates below!

All of the parts are ordered and on the way. Most of the enclosures are milled and around half of them are finished. There's about 20 units in this upcoming batch. We're SOLD OUT of Zebrawood and it will most likely not be making a return (for a myriad of reasons).

Coils are on the way, too. For anyone awaiting an extra, we're hoping to have your coils out to you next week.

We've also got a new coupon code for anyone on the fence that will take your cart down to $400.

Use code: FIRESALE-USA (US, Mexico, or Canada)

Oh...and for all the folks that were promised extra goodies...we're hoping to have some of them start trickling in soon. ;)

Neat!!

Stoked for more people to join the club. :leaf::love:

scalescliffs,
Reactions: Been Vapin

PoopMachine

I know you guys love the wood enclosures but id really like to have one in a carbon fiber enclosure. What do you think?

PoopMachine,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
I know you guys love the wood enclosures but id really like to have one in a carbon fiber enclosure. What do you think?

I think you might be a little high right now. Also I think we'd love to. Custom price is gonna be a bit of sticker shock...well more like sticker heart attack, really.

Though that does give me an idea for something we've got in the works... :brow:

PoopMachine

I think you might be a little high right now. Also I think we'd love to. Custom price is gonna be a bit of sticker shock...well more like sticker heart attack, really.

Though that does give me an idea for something we've got in the works... :brow:

I wouldnt think it would be that difficult to find a carbon fiber enclosure you could shove the guts into. Carbon fiber isnt that pricey if you source it directly from Taiwan or China. I can probably source an enclosure if you guys think you can make it work.

I woudnt even mind seeing a billet aluminum one if the metal enclosure wouldnt wreak havok on the network connectivity.

And I was not medicated when I posted that :)

PoopMachine,

brucee10

You can get carbon fiber sheets that are pre-cured and you could probably use it like a thick veneer over a cheaper wood core.

brucee10,

PoopMachine

You can get carbon fiber sheets that are pre-cured and you could probably use it like a thick veneer over a cheaper wood core.

Thats true.. Ive used that before making dashes for race cars.

Id like to see the guts of a unit to see how much room all the stuff takes up. Id love to cram it into something like a Mystery Machine toy or something.

PoopMachine,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Okay, so I actually decided its time to mess with the PIDs and get the nail mode more stable for my FP.

I'm definitely still messing around as it's not easy to get stable after the temp has increased, it plays up and down for a bit longer than I'd like to stabilize back to a lower temp.

New updated PID is

P - 4.4-5 (4.4 is closer to under more often, 5 is over more often)
I - 20.0
D - 5.0
I Lim - 1.0
D Lim - 0.5
Anti - On (Technically Off?)
Windup - 0.00

At the moment I am about 5-10 degrees within range. You can see on the graph the red and yellow line are fairly stable throughout.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXOo2fGAmZX/

Seriously love this thing @HexNailAva

It's not too relevant but maybe some might be interested, sadly I know way more about the HN now than I did during the interview a few days ago so I wasn't really trying to explain or show too much but I was asked to kind of talk about the Hex-Nail.

Damn.. Skip to 39:12, if you don't want your time wasted getting to know me.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
@paytonpenn
----------
Thanks for posting this! We're heads down in manufacturing right now so we tend to miss new content.

And tbh thanks for doing everyone a service and explaining the thing on video. Heh. Once the app drops we'll do a full dive in video for everyone, too. I've been meaning to do it for awhile but things have been nuts (per usual, I suppose).

You did an awesome job explaining everything and the comments were great. We're really glad you love yours and we definitely have some bigger thank yous coming your way.

We will have a 'Timer' / Alarm feature coming soon.

And as for a little update for those of you waiting on units...

Sit tight. Waiting on the coils to arrive and wrapping up the enclosures now. Most of the internals are ready to pop in boxes, burn-in, and ship out. Parts came in the last 2 days and we're smokin' this batch.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Hope a few people got their tracking emails that went out last night / this morning.

Our next shipment to the UK (which is already accounted for) went out today. We also got out about half of the remaining orders out. If you haven't received a tracking number yet it will be in your email within the next couple of days.

Really excited for the new wave to hit some folks.

tepictoton

Have been following this from day one. Sometime in the near future I might have to start looking for a new e-nail, and I think yours is the one I really like. Let´s just say it is different, and more important, has been designed from the ground up for this very specific purpose.

The fact that I own a liger and you are programming your controller in part specifically for it also helps making my choice a little easier.

But, there is one big hurdle and a question related to that hurdle: Shipping to Europe, and in my case Spain. Do you have experience with shipping to Europe, and if so what carrier did you use for transport? I have had to many packages from the USA make it to Madrid, only for it to be kept by customs for weeks, and some times not being able to get it from them. A very big pain in the ass...Then if the package does make it trough I get hit with an additional 20% taxes calculated not only on the value of the product, but they include the shipping costs as well. This, as you can imagine, is something I want to avoid at all times.

So I have been looking for, and think I found, a solution to this. I have asked sellers from the USA to check if they can ship with TNT Post (formerly the Dutch Postal Service). All of my packages from TNT Post that where shipped from USA (and China), or better said, outside of Europe, arrived without a problem and without customs getting their hands on it. It always had a sticker on top of the original shippers label that changed the shippers location to Amsterdam. As such, making it appear as if it came from within Europe.

Sorry to make this so long. But this might be an important issue for you in the long run or whenever needing to ship to European customers.

Would love to hear your response. Wishing you al the best with the further roll-out of Hex-Nail!

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Great advice! It's the same in Germany. StevenLMZ79 from dhgate is the only one I know, who is sending his packages via the Netherlands. Therefore there is never trouble with customs (I hate the hassle of custom declaration nearly more than the additional costs!)
Don't know how they do it but it works. Perhaps you should just ask him?
Avoiding customs by this way would make your devices much more interesting for the European market!

Top Bottom