• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

mutten840

@ichibaneye The unit can be used offline as a traditional setup and also accessed over your network through IP address. The online component is mainly for the software updates and you could in theory keep it offline, except when grabbing a patch. The profiles do not need to be setup and are also just an optional feature for tracking your usage and such.

I have 2 and everyone that has gotten to check them out are truly blown away on how solid and easy to use the units are.

Hope this helps and they have also stated once things are up to speed. They will be doing offline and custom units to fit any specific needs you might have :tup:

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
@HexNailAva Do I actually have to set up a profile for this to operate? Can I access the device manually too, or is it all wireless or handset/p.c. based?

I wanted to add this also and I'm in no way bashing you're product here as I'm interested....but anytime you're doing something online, wirelessly and the like ones information is being tracked, grabbed, compiled and stored, Cloud or no cloud. Just read the NSA, FBI and many others white papers.

Also is a consumer out of luck using this if he or she does not use a computer or cell phone?

I just started reading this thread but these concerns hit me right away. I look forward to reading the rest and your future updates and thank you for your time.

No offense taken! We understand that security is a big one for folks when it comes to our controllers.

The HN-01 is built an enail controller first and foremost. You don't need to do anything besides turn it on for everything to function properly (except software updates, which obviously require a network connection).

There is no 'online profile' of any sort. At the moment we haven't even finished implementing local profiles. There is no sign up and we don't take, keep or ask for any other information from customers other than what's required to ship them a unit (and a phone number in some cases for shipping).

I'll note that we very strongly urge you to connect it to a wi-fi network at least once so if there are any software issues with your unit we can troubleshoot and repair it remotely. After that, networking can even be disabled completely so the unit is running off the grid. But should any issue arise you can just re-enable networking and we can check the logs on your unit.

Any data coming in or out of the device is anonymous and processed by a major IOT provider. Our site and store are fully PCI compliant, too.

We want anyone that buys a Hex-Nail to know that their information, profiles, etc. is secure.

Oh, and no, you're not out of luck without a device to pair it with. The Hex-Nail stands alone just fine. :D

ichibaneye

Vapriot, Traveler & Vaporizer/ing lover!
No offense taken! We understand that security is a big one for folks when it comes to our controllers.

The HN-01 is built an enail controller first and foremost. You don't need to do anything besides turn it on for everything to function properly (except software updates, which obviously require a network connection).

There is no 'online profile' of any sort. At the moment we haven't even finished implementing local profiles. There is no sign up and we don't take, keep or ask for any other information from customers other than what's required to ship them a unit (and a phone number in some cases for shipping).

I'll note that we very strongly urge you to connect it to a wi-fi network at least once so if there are any software issues with your unit we can troubleshoot and repair it remotely. After that, networking can even be disabled completely so the unit is running off the grid. But should any issue arise you can just re-enable networking and we can check the logs on your unit.

Any data coming in or out of the device is anonymous and processed by a major IOT provider. Our site and store are fully PCI compliant, too.

We want anyone that buys a Hex-Nail to know that their information, profiles, etc. is secure.

Oh, and no, you're not out of luck without a device to pair it with. The Hex-Nail stands alone just fine. :D

Mmmm mmm mmmmmMMM! Delicious and satisfying answers. My hat is off to you! You had me @ "off the grid" are you single! Lol.. again much appreciated jokes aside.

ichibaneye

@ichibaneye The unit can be used offline as a traditional setup and also accessed over your network through IP address. The online component is mainly for the software updates and you could in theory keep it offline, except when grabbing a patch. The profiles do not need to be setup and are also just an optional feature for tracking your usage and such.

I have 2 and everyone that has gotten to check them out are truly blown away on how solid and easy to use the units are.

Hope this helps and they have also stated once things are up to speed. They will be doing offline and custom units to fit any specific needs you might have :tup:

Great information my fellow vaper! Many thanks to you. What you have mentioned about the custom services only sweetened the pot for me. I mean, who doesn't want to feel like IronMan with basically a Jarvice assisting you on all levels and customization..damn Gina!

Ultimately I'd just pop back online and work a patch in at a Statcucks coffee location on their dime and jump back off the grid.

Now I'm going to search for some videos about this device and decide where this falls inline with my 2017 purchases. I have a feeling I'm going to hemorrhage money profusely this year.

Ah the freedom one gains back when single again, thanks again.

ichibaneye,

ichibaneye

z5gg8EZ.png
Our team would like to invite you to pre-order the next big thing in Cannabis technology. The Hex-Nail is not only the first of it's kind, but the new standard for those wanting to see some real bang for your buck.

The Hex-Nail is the world's first integrated, app-controlled, touchscreen e-nail, built from the ground up by patients, for patients. We began development on this project after we saw the need in our own daily lives, and never expected so many other people would be interested in getting their hands on one.

Our new goal has been to make a device that not only integrates seamlessly into your everyday life, but makes a statement the second anyone takes a look at it in the flesh, too. The Hex-Nail (HN-01) is 100% hand assembled & finished…from the boards, to the box, to the hand-oiled finish. Everything is done in house, in Portland, OR.
Jsu7W5Z.png

Key Features Include:
  • 5.5" TFT LCD Touch Screen (Easy to use, big enough to see, no need for extra buttons on the box)
  • Apps for all your devices (iOS, Android, Apple Watch, etc.)
  • Handmade Hardwood Enclosure (9 Options Available Including: Walnut, African Padauk, & More)
  • 100% Proprietary Software & Apps (Hex-nail was built from the ground up, software and all by our in-house team)
  • Web Interface & Control (via your browser on Windows or Mac OSX)
  • Bluetooth v4 & Wi-Fi [B/G/N] Compatible
  • User Profiles (Including Use History Logs, Custom Themes, Password Capabilities & More!)
  • Alarms / Reminders (Never forget your meds again)
  • In-depth Auto-Tuning (Updated every second in real time for rock solid accuracy at all temperatures)
  • K-Type Thermocouple + Coil (Your choice of 14mm, 20mm, or Flat Coil)
  • Software Updates & Support (Free as long as you own the HN-01. No strings attached.)

We're working tirelessly to make every bit of the Hex-Nail functional & unique. New features are being implemented every day and suggestions are always welcome. Expect updates to continue throughout the development cycle.
i44QcBz.jpg

Benefits for Round One Pre-Orders
  • $420 (ESRP: $499 - $549) - Your Choice of heating coil is included (16mm, 20mm, Flat)​
  • Free Shipping (Worldwide - Hex-Nail is not responsible for taxes/fees associated with International Shipments)​
  • Lifetime Discount (5%) on all future orders with the Hex-Nail Shop​
  • 1 yr. (Parts, Labor, Shipping) - Upgraded from our 'Standard' 6 months​

HN-01 Specs
  • Avg. Warm Up Time: 90 sec.​
  • Screen: 5.5" Capacitive Touch Screen (LCD, TFT)​
  • Temperature Range: 100°F - 1,100°F​
  • USB: Device Charging Ports (x2)​
  • Touch Screen Resolution: 1024x768px​
  • Wi-fi: 802.11 b/g/n​
  • Bluetooth: v.4.0​
  • Coil: 5-Pin XLR (K-Type Thermocouple)​
If you have any questions about pre-ordering, or find any issues with the new site, or even just have a cool idea you think might be nice on your own Hex-Nail please contact me here: ava@hex-nail.com. We thrive on feedback from the community.

Feel free to post them below as well! Thank you.

- Ava M. Madsen (Hex-Nail)

I work with smart phones And tablets in my line of work and pretty much any connected device with apps is sending some form of info about you and your using habits outward. This data is very easy to find if you know how to look for it and it is pretty much and industry standard. The fine print on most apps allow them to mine a certain amount of data from your device. Some of it could be considered personal. I am talking in some instances the app can pass age, location, time, device type, and a whole list of other things. I think it is interesting that people have concerns of the data being hijacked. Personally I don't know what good how much and when I smoke would do for anyone. I mean anyone who really knows me knows I smoke a lot of weed =)
I would love to be soo famous I would need to worry about someone having this info. Forgive my sarcasm, I just think people are stickling over something that is pretty minor in the big picture. Considering you can most likely just turn it off as an option in the settings.

:bang::doh::cry: Errrr no comment. Damn you forum rules....lol. I would elaborate but I'm not chancing a warning or violation here.
@herbivore21 I have lived in many weed unfriendly states and understand your point. I just don't think this data would have much relevance to someone to hack and use against you, but there is always a chance it could happen. Hopefully things will mellow out in more states as time goes on. I guess there are some people that need to be extra cautious and that's where having a setting to turn it off would solve all problems brought up. I totally get what you are saying and completely respect it. Even though I am in a legal state. I would never want my company to know that I really do smoke and the amounts I do. Info like this would not do anyone any justice in the workplace. :tup:

If I had a dollar for every time my wife asked me if I turned my Dab station off. With this I could show her from anywhere that I did in fact shut my shit down =)
I could use it to find out where you live, find out your travel routes and routine. I've built faux wi-fi hot spots before. Can you say... I've got you now Batman! This info. Can be used to rob you, blackmail you, set you up and many many other things. If you don't have anything to hide or worry about please forward your pass-words, let me listen to your calls, look at your tetxs and leave those doors unlocked. The latter was to demonstrate the seriousness and not to offend you. I would like to point you to all of the alphabet big brother sites, please visit them and read up. Their white papers explain in GRAVE <on purpose < detail how they use it against you.

ichibaneye,

toros23

^^^Some folks will always underestimate the power of metadata.. But I digress.... : )

Really just wanted to say that I love my Hex-Nail! So much I ordered a 2nd a few days ago. Loving the cleaning mode and shift/glob functions! Can't wait to see how this little box evolves (and forces competition to evolve), it is a game changer for sure.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I would like to know the feedback from users using their Hex-nail with a flower vape powered by a coil. Is there some interesting features usable for flowers? It looks like @paytonpenn use it with the FlowerPot.... Is the HexNail carry something more than another cheap controller (besides the awesome wood box and the quality of the components (I hope)) while used to vape flowers?

Gergopolous

Can the hex nail be set to turn on and off at a specified time? I understand this can be turned on and off via wifi so it seems like this feature could easily be implemented with a software update if it is not already available. Looking forward to getting my hands on that bloodwood!

PoopMachine

Can the hex nail be set to turn on and off at a specified time? I understand this can be turned on and off via wifi so it seems like this feature could easily be implemented with a software update if it is not already available. Looking forward to getting my hands on that bloodwood!

No but i would think the mobile app should be able to do that when it shows up. Youd have to leave the unit on and the coil off, since the on/off switch is a physical switch, I dont see any way they will be able to circumvent that with software.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
No but i would think the mobile app should be able to do that when it shows up. Youd have to leave the unit on and the coil off, since the on/off switch is a physical switch, I dont see any way they will be able to circumvent that with software.
We're doing a lot of work towards getting our apps in place now. ;)

As for the request. Yes. We plan to have timers/alarms added as a feature in the future.

More info coming soon. Lots in the works (including the last of our units).

PoopMachine

This video actually shows the Hex-Nail's info. Seriously a wonderful pair.

#1 - Thats an awesome video

#2 - Your unit has WAY better temperature stablization than mine does. That makes me jealous. Mine swings around all over the place. Have you altered any settings in the PID settings?

PoopMachine,
Reactions: NSCocoa

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
#1 - Thats an awesome video

#2 - Your unit has WAY better temperature stablization than mine does. That makes me jealous. Mine swings around all over the place. Have you altered any settings in the PID settings?
Thanks. I havent altered anything yet. Using the 16mm Ti + Quartz liger preset.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: steama

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
SOFTWARE v1.2.9 HAS BEEN RELEASED

This update fixes a very strange networking bug that has been causing some issues for a few folks. We advise that everyone update to the latest version. It adds a ton of new features, too. Including a ton of new tunings & being able to set a profile name to display on the home screen. :tup:

We'll be expanding the profile features once the apps are complete. We'll most likely roll most of that out at the same time. Our apps have been a big focus lately now that we're caught up on most of our orders. We're waiting on some of the last parts to come in and they're be out and on their way. After some...vigorous testing. :science:

See some of the latest footage on our Instagram

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
ANYONE WHO HAS ATTEMPTED TO / NEEDS MAIL A UNIT BACK TO US
There aren't a ton of you, but please read the following:

If I did NOT give you the address to mail it back to DIRECTLY (via text, email, instant message, etc.) or have not confirmed receipt of your return, please message me here on FC IMMEDIATELY.

A customer noticed that a return was, for some reason, headed back their way instead of finishing the trip back to us. This has been the first (potential) confirmation of a MAJOR issue we've suspected we might be dealing with regarding shipments / returns.

We have reason to believe that the auto-generated return labels have been missing our unit number (even though it's included on the digital side of things), causing some of them to be 'Returned to Sender'. The wonderful USPS does not allow us to view return labels before or after they are generated without, in turn, making them inaccessible to the customers they were bought for in the first place.

But fear not in the future as we are currently working on partnering with another local Cannabis company to upscale manufacturing & in turn we will turn into a... 'different animal' in the eyes of shipping companies. We're not worried about things like this in the future and we're still not sure if it's a problem.

We'll try to keep all of you updated as we sift through and check on some of these over the next few days.

We've been confused as to why some of the units we need to actually open up and check on haven't arrived over the last few months and this may be it.

Our policy has been to ship first and ask questions later to take care of the few folks who've had issues or wanted to swap their wood out but we do eventually need them back, y'all. ;)

EDIT: The unit number is '211', for those of you that may have run into this issue.

Last edited:

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
I ordered a unit on 4/14 and still haven't heard boo!
Sorry we haven't gotten back to you. We have a lot of communique coming in so we've had a tough time reaching out to everyone before they end up emailing us.

Most of our customers here on FC ordered in November of last year. We tried to make sure we gave ourselves enough time by stating units would ship 'Summer 2017' at the time of your order to make sure that we didn't have to rush out units or try to swap parts to make deadlines due to stock restrictions.

That's not really how we like / want to do things. We do like to have happy customers though...so I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag a bit early. Your unit is burning-in now and we're just waiting on our next shipment of 20mm coils now!

I'll edit this post with a picture of it on the line in a bit! ;)

Hope that's good enough for now and we're excited to get a unit in your hands! Won't be long now though.

Top Bottom