• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
z5gg8EZ.png
Our team would like to invite you to pre-order the next big thing in Cannabis technology. The Hex-Nail is not only the first of it's kind, but the new standard for those wanting to see some real bang for your buck.

The Hex-Nail is the world's first integrated, app-controlled, touchscreen e-nail, built from the ground up by patients, for patients. We began development on this project after we saw the need in our own daily lives, and never expected so many other people would be interested in getting their hands on one.

Our new goal has been to make a device that not only integrates seamlessly into your everyday life, but makes a statement the second anyone takes a look at it in the flesh, too. The Hex-Nail (HN-01) is 100% hand assembled & finished…from the boards, to the box, to the hand-oiled finish. Everything is done in house, in Portland, OR.
Jsu7W5Z.png

Key Features Include:
  • 5.5" TFT LCD Touch Screen (Easy to use, big enough to see, no need for extra buttons on the box)
  • Apps for all your devices (iOS, Android, Apple Watch, etc.)
  • Handmade Hardwood Enclosure (9 Options Available Including: Walnut, African Padauk, & More)
  • 100% Proprietary Software & Apps (Hex-nail was built from the ground up, software and all by our in-house team)
  • Web Interface & Control (via your browser on Windows or Mac OSX)
  • Bluetooth v4 & Wi-Fi [B/G/N] Compatible
  • User Profiles (Including Use History Logs, Custom Themes, Password Capabilities & More!)
  • Alarms / Reminders (Never forget your meds again)
  • In-depth Auto-Tuning (Updated every second in real time for rock solid accuracy at all temperatures)
  • K-Type Thermocouple + Coil (Your choice of 14mm, 20mm, or Flat Coil)
  • Software Updates & Support (Free as long as you own the HN-01. No strings attached.)

We're working tirelessly to make every bit of the Hex-Nail functional & unique. New features are being implemented every day and suggestions are always welcome. Expect updates to continue throughout the development cycle.
i44QcBz.jpg

Benefits for Round One Pre-Orders
  • $420 (ESRP: $499 - $549) - Your Choice of heating coil is included (16mm, 20mm, Flat)​
  • Free Shipping (Worldwide - Hex-Nail is not responsible for taxes/fees associated with International Shipments)​
  • Lifetime Discount (5%) on all future orders with the Hex-Nail Shop​
  • 1 yr. (Parts, Labor, Shipping) - Upgraded from our 'Standard' 6 months​

HN-01 Specs
  • Avg. Warm Up Time: 90 sec.​
  • Screen: 5.5" Capacitive Touch Screen (LCD, TFT)​
  • Temperature Range: 100°F - 1,100°F​
  • USB: Device Charging Ports (x2)​
  • Touch Screen Resolution: 1024x768px​
  • Wi-fi: 802.11 b/g/n​
  • Bluetooth: v.4.0​
  • Coil: 5-Pin XLR (K-Type Thermocouple)​
If you have any questions about pre-ordering, or find any issues with the new site, or even just have a cool idea you think might be nice on your own Hex-Nail please contact me here: ava@hex-nail.com. We thrive on feedback from the community.

Feel free to post them below as well! Thank you.

- Ava M. Madsen (Hex-Nail)

herbivore21

z5gg8EZ.png
Our team would like to invite you to pre-order the next big thing in Cannabis technology. The Hex-Nail is not only the first of it's kind, but the new standard for those wanting to see some real bang for your buck.

The Hex-Nail is the world's first integrated, app-controlled, touchscreen e-nail, built from the ground up by patients, for patients. We began development on this project after we saw the need in our own daily lives, and never expected so many other people would be interested in getting their hands on one.

Our new goal has been to make a device that not only integrates seamlessly into your everyday life, but makes a statement the second anyone takes a look at it in the flesh, too. The Hex-Nail (HN-01) is 100% hand assembled & finished…from the boards, to the box, to the hand-oiled finish. Everything is done in house, in Portland, OR.
Jsu7W5Z.png

Key Features Include:
  • 5.5" TFT LCD Touch Screen (Easy to use, big enough to see, no need for extra buttons on the box)
  • Apps for all your devices (iOS, Android, Apple Watch, etc.)
  • Handmade Hardwood Enclosure (9 Options Available Including: Walnut, African Padauk, & More)
  • 100% Proprietary Software & Apps (Hex-nail was built from the ground up, software and all by our in-house team)
  • Web Interface & Control (via your browser on Windows or Mac OSX)
  • Bluetooth v4 & Wi-Fi [B/G/N] Compatible
  • User Profiles (Including Use History Logs, Custom Themes, Password Capabilities & More!)
  • Alarms / Reminders (Never forget your meds again)
  • In-depth Auto-Tuning (Updated every second in real time for rock solid accuracy at all temperatures)
  • K-Type Thermocouple + Coil (Your choice of 14mm, 20mm, or Flat Coil)
  • Software Updates & Support (Free as long as you own the HN-01. No strings attached.)

We're working tirelessly to make every bit of the Hex-Nail functional & unique. New features are being implemented every day and suggestions are always welcome. Expect updates to continue throughout the development cycle.
i44QcBz.jpg

Benefits for Round One Pre-Orders
  • $420 (ESRP: $499 - $549) - Your Choice of heating coil is included (16mm, 20mm, Flat)​
  • Free Shipping (Worldwide - Hex-Nail is not responsible for taxes/fees associated with International Shipments)​
  • Lifetime Discount (5%) on all future orders with the Hex-Nail Shop​
  • 1 yr. (Parts, Labor, Shipping) - Upgraded from our 'Standard' 6 months​

HN-01 Specs
  • Avg. Warm Up Time: 90 sec.​
  • Screen: 5.5" Capacitive Touch Screen (LCD, TFT)​
  • Temperature Range: 100°F - 1,100°F​
  • USB: Device Charging Ports (x2)​
  • Touch Screen Resolution: 1024x768px​
  • Wi-fi: 802.11 b/g/n​
  • Bluetooth: v.4.0​
  • Coil: 5-Pin XLR (K-Type Thermocouple)​
If you have any questions about pre-ordering, or find any issues with the new site, or even just have a cool idea you think might be nice on your own Hex-Nail please contact me here: ava@hex-nail.com. We thrive on feedback from the community.

Feel free to post them below as well! Thank you.

- Ava M. Madsen (Hex-Nail)
Hi there,

I am interested in how you guys deal with data security here.

Your product clearly is designed to collect and receive inputs on large amounts of personal information from the user. The time of day, material they dabbed, time of week etc information can be stored and saved in this unit to provide a detailed overview of individual usage over time.

Does this information at any stage get stored anywhere apart from in the internal storage in the enail unit itself - or is this stored in the 'cloud' or similar? Is this data going to you guys? What is your policy on use of this data? Are you going to sell it?

It would be very helpful to provide a very detailed overview of all internet connectivity functions and all of the functions of the app. This is a device that brings a lot of personal privacy and security issues into the mix with internet connectivity and higher standards must be applied to scrutiny of this.

You also can't edit posts after more than 8 or so hours have elapsed, so your reserved post above probably won't be very helpful sadly.

Welcome to FC and I look forward to hearing your response :)

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Hi there,

I am interested in how you guys deal with data security here.

Your product clearly is designed to collect and receive inputs on large amounts of personal information from the user. The time of day, material they dabbed, time of week etc information can be stored and saved in this unit to provide a detailed overview of individual usage over time.

Does this information at any stage get stored anywhere apart from in the internal storage in the enail unit itself - or is this stored in the 'cloud' or similar? Is this data going to you guys? What is your policy on use of this data? Are you going to sell it?

It would be very helpful to provide a very detailed overview of all internet connectivity functions and all of the functions of the app. This is a device that brings a lot of personal privacy and security issues into the mix with internet connectivity and higher standards must be applied to scrutiny of this.

You also can't edit posts after more than 8 or so hours have elapsed, so your reserved post above probably won't be very helpful sadly.

Welcome to FC and I look forward to hearing your response :)

I'm really glad this question came up as early as it did because we want to clarify that we do not keep ANY user data at ANY time.

We take data security very seriously, and we realize that many users may be weary of using such a connected device.

All personal information, including profile data, preferences, and usage history are encrypted and stored on the device itself and optionally a user's phone for backup and portability. Furthermore, the Hex-Nail is completely isolated from the public internet, blocking all incoming connections.

Absolutely no personal information is stored, transmitted, or collected by remote servers at any point in the use of a Hex-Nail. We hold the privacy of all our customers in the highest regard, and don't share or sell any customer information.

Software updates are conducted over a 256-bit encrypted TLS channel, and are only initiated at the request of the user.

We're preparing to add this and more regarding security to the website soon; we'll keep you updated here as well.

We're currently writing a 'Remote Wipe' feature. You'll be able to reset your Hex-Nail remotely via the browser, or our apps. Your profile & and any other profiles on the Hex-Nail are reset back to square one, but you will be able to restore all your info from any of your other devices via Bluetooth or Wi-fi.

You're back up and going, business as usual in no time at all.

herbivore21

I'm really glad this question came up as early as it did because we want to clarify that we do not keep ANY user data at ANY time.

We take data security very seriously, and we realize that many users may be weary of using such a connected device.

All personal information, including profile data, preferences, and usage history are encrypted and stored on the device itself and optionally a user's phone for backup and portability. Furthermore, the Hex-Nail is completely isolated from the public internet, blocking all incoming connections.

Absolutely no personal information is stored, transmitted, or collected by remote servers at any point in the use of a Hex-Nail. We hold the privacy of all our customers in the highest regard, and don't share or sell any customer information.

Software updates are conducted over a 256-bit encrypted TLS channel, and are only initiated at the request of the user.

We're preparing to add this and more regarding security to the website soon; we'll keep you updated here as well.

We're currently writing a 'Remote Wipe' feature. You'll be able to reset your Hex-Nail remotely via the browser, or our apps. Your profile & and any other profiles on the Hex-Nail are reset back to square one, but you will be able to restore all your info from any of your other devices via Bluetooth or Wi-fi.

You're back up and going, business as usual in no time at all.
This is encouraging! Thanks for the quick response too!

I will not personally use an item like this for an enail personally, being so connected, but there is a lot to like about the computer style ecosystem and software control in the controller itself! This will introduce some interesting possibilities in the future as well as the different profiles etc now!

Can you guys make a version without any wifi/bluetooth hardware that just has all the features mentioned above minus the connectivity and so is controlled via the touchscreen interface? I am sure there'd be a portion of the market in various scenarios (non-legal states!) that would be interested in this option :)

mutten840

Seems like they could offer to turn them on or off in the menu. Just figured it would be an optional setting like other smart type devices =)

Last edited:
mutten840,
Reactions: Kalikron

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Despite all those good words and intentions, I'm only half-convinced by the secure aspect. If not a single large equipment manufacturer is able to produce a truly secure connected device, I really doubt that it will be different here.

I can understand having Bluetooth connectivity but why put an HTTP server on it? And you say it's not accessible on the Internet but it has Wi-Fi, so how does it work? Is it a Wi-Fi client and it joins your LAN or does it create its own Wi-Fi network and you connect to it? Either way I can easily envision various troubles...

Also this profile data, what's the purpose? The device doesn't know what quantity and quality you use, so will the user have to manually enter "ok for this session I dabbed 0.04g of 80% THC concentrate"? Or will it just record when you use it like "last time you dabbed was 30 minutes ago, it's too soon to do it again, please wait some more"?

To me it sounds like a bunch of developers got high together and brainstormed around "list all features your dream vape could have" and ended with something over-engineered just because they could. No offense but it's a well-known programmer sin. The agile trend is rather "KISS", here I see the opposite.

Apart from that the rest looks brilliant, good luck with your product launch!

mutten840

I work with smart phones And tablets in my line of work and pretty much any connected device with apps is sending some form of info about you and your using habits outward. This data is very easy to find if you know how to look for it and it is pretty much and industry standard. The fine print on most apps allow them to mine a certain amount of data from your device. Some of it could be considered personal. I am talking in some instances the app can pass age, location, time, device type, and a whole list of other things. I think it is interesting that people have concerns of the data being hijacked. Personally I don't know what good how much and when I smoke would do for anyone. I mean anyone who really knows me knows I smoke a lot of weed =)
I would love to be soo famous I would need to worry about someone having this info. Forgive my sarcasm, I just think people are stickling over something that is pretty minor in the big picture. Considering you can most likely just turn it off as an option in the settings.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Too expensive
We felt the price point was competitive in the space. Bang for your buck was a huge concern for us.

Compared to more well known competition we offer significantly more for significantly less. The enclosure alone for the Hex-Nail takes between 6 and 10 hours of sanding, oiling, and finishing (which is all done by hand). It's made of high quality, locally sourced hardwoods. We also locally source as much of the internals as we can.

American Crafted, American Designed, and American Built. Top to bottom.

Our temperature control is 100% tuned specifically for use with Cannabis Concentrates (not industrial applications). Hundreds of hours and calculations have been done to devise a dynamic auto-tuning system made for dabbing with a focus on temperature stability and recovery.

The Hex-Nail has a lot more going on behind-the-scenes than first meets the eye. We're happy to answer any other questions about these specifics. Feel free to ask away. We're here to answer any and all of them.

herbivore21

I work with smart phones And tablets in my line of work and pretty much any connected device with apps is sending some form of info about you and your using habits outward. This data is very easy to find if you know how to look for it and it is pretty much and industry standard. The fine print on most apps allow them to mine a certain amount of data from your device. Some of it could be considered personal. I am talking in some instances the app can pass age, location, time, device type, and a whole list of other things. I think it is interesting that people have concerns of the data being hijacked. Personally I don't know what good how much and when I smoke would do for anyone. I mean anyone who really knows me knows I smoke a lot of weed =)
I would love to be soo famous I would need to worry about someone having this info. Forgive my sarcasm, I just think people are stickling over something that is pretty minor in the big picture. Considering you can most likely just turn it off as an option in the settings.
With respect man, you're from Washington, a legal recreational state. You have the luxury to let everyone know you use a lot of weed and they can't resort to dropping the dime on you to the relevant authorities if they decide they don't like you for some reason.

Do you remember when there was prohibition in your state? If you didn't take a very different view of who should or should not know about your usage back then - you ran the risk of going to court over it.

Long story short: Many FC people are living in prohibition still. Surely you can see that they might not want any information about their cannabis usage being stored or passed about in any way? These are just some of the people who might want access to a completely offline version of this product.

Your sarcasm may be well placed for cases like your own, but don't forget that there are almost always many cases unlike our own (and this scenario is no exception to this rule)! ;)

mutten840

@herbivore21 I have lived in many weed unfriendly states and understand your point. I just don't think this data would have much relevance to someone to hack and use against you, but there is always a chance it could happen. Hopefully things will mellow out in more states as time goes on. I guess there are some people that need to be extra cautious and that's where having a setting to turn it off would solve all problems brought up. I totally get what you are saying and completely respect it. Even though I am in a legal state. I would never want my company to know that I really do smoke and the amounts I do. Info like this would not do anyone any justice in the workplace. :tup:

If I had a dollar for every time my wife asked me if I turned my Dab station off. With this I could show her from anywhere that I did in fact shut my shit down =)

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Despite all those good words and intentions, I'm only half-convinced by the secure aspect. If not a single large equipment manufacturer is able to produce a truly secure connected device, I really doubt that it will be different here.

I can understand having Bluetooth connectivity but why put an HTTP server on it? And you say it's not accessible on the Internet but it has Wi-Fi, so how does it work? Is it a Wi-Fi client and it joins your LAN or does it create its own Wi-Fi network and you connect to it? Either way I can easily envision various troubles...

Also this profile data, what's the purpose? The device doesn't know what quantity and quality you use, so will the user have to manually enter "ok for this session I dabbed 0.04g of 80% THC concentrate"? Or will it just record when you use it like "last time you dabbed was 30 minutes ago, it's too soon to do it again, please wait some more"?

To me it sounds like a bunch of developers got high together and brainstormed around "list all features your dream vape could have" and ended with something over-engineered just because they could. No offense but it's a well-known programmer sin. The agile trend is rather "KISS", here I see the opposite.

Apart from that the rest looks brilliant, good luck with your product launch!

Every Hex-Nail comes equipped with it's own firewall to block incoming connections. It joins your LAN as a Wi-fi client. The HTTP server is necessary for using a web interface. The Hex-Nail can be run from first boot in 'Standalone Mode' and all these options can be turned off if users want to run 'off the grid' so to speak.

Our feature list grows as members of the community fuel our ideas. Lots of the things already being implemented are community based suggestions. While it may seem over engineered to some we like to see it as more of a 'Swiss-Army Knife' set of features. There if you need it, but still a darn good pocket knife if that's all it's used for.

As the unit stands even after disabling all the web or app-based features the Hex-Nail still has an incredibly accurate temperature read-out and a 100% customizable interface that uses a 5.5" touchscreen. We aren't looking to make an 'Okay' e-nail that has a bunch of cool stuff tacked on. We're making the best nail we can by implementing newer technology into the design...and then adding cool features on top of it.

As for the profile data...It will help patients and recreational users alike track trends like 'Does my first dab in the morning do the trick?' See yourself doing 3 - 4 within the span of an hour or two in the mornings? Maybe you should up your dosage. Maybe trying a new strain will help. Wake up at 2am and need some help getting back to sleep? Maybe a higher dose before bed could help with deeper, longer sleep. Things like this are hard to see overtime, and the log will make it much easier to recognize more long-term trends as well.

Personally, this is one of the biggest features I want to see implemented well. I used to track my own meds via pen and paper. When you're medicating chronic pain, nausea, ADHD, and stress it gets to be a lot of writing. It worked, but it also took a good chunk of time out of my work days and put undo stress on my hands (I write most of the day while working as well).

A profile allows me to go about business as usual during my days (no more writing) and then I can go back to see my day later. There are options to add more information (Strain, Indica, Sativa, etc.) that can be turned on or off by the user. Prompting you via screen or phone post-dab asking for more info is the more immediate option, but you can also add any desired info later. Did you have Sativa all day and Indica later? Batch edit your dabs for the day so you can change it everywhere at once but still have it all labeled.

We'll be releasing more information on the internals once our final production model's part list is decided.

EDIT: Forgot to respond to the other quote on this post. See post below for my response.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Intriguing... Best wishes on a successful endeavor !

However, I don't personally do pre orders, especially on something without a working model that shows an assembled & use video. So for myself, the pre order savings is moot until the product has mainlined, and in the hands of users offering personal reviews.

smokum,

Danksta

I am not trying to be a dick but I simply don't get why we need enails linked to the internet and using apps. My $90 High5 does all I need. It's purpose is to heat a coil. I feel these high end enails are taking advantage of people with money to burn who don't know any better. Clever marketing though...

Danksta,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Intriguing... Best wishes on a successful endeavor !

However, I don't personally do pre orders, especially on something without a working model that shows an assembled & use video. So for myself, the pre order savings is moot until the product has mainlined, and in the hands of users offering personal reviews.

I definitely understand being wary, but maybe this will help.

Here's an HD video of our first prototype (in African Padauk) in action.

I dropped quite a bit on the nail for this test and we saw exactly what we wanted to. A jump up as you start your dab to compensate for the initial drop in temp. Once carbed temps drop a few degrees for a nice slow burn and recovery once the carb was removed was under a second.

Keep in mind that the box will be assembled differently once we get a production model nailed down.

I am not trying to be a dick but I simply don't get why we need enails linked to the internet and using apps. My $90 High5 does all I need. It's purpose is to heat a coil. I feel these high end enails are taking advantage of people with money to burn who don't know any better. Clever marketing though...

I actually own a High5 nail myself. They really do a bang up job for the money. Having one of their nails was actually part of what spurred this project on for us. The great service I got from them has pushed us harder to make sure we provide the same level of accessibility and quick response to our customers. I had a couple of very pleasant experiences with them, actually.

We just wanted to try to take it a step further and add more features we would use on a daily basis and the community seemed pretty responsive to that as this project has developed over the course of the year. The continued interest of our earliest supporters means there's at least some market for a full featured, integrated nail out there.

So we made one.

Danksta

I definitely understand being wary, but maybe this will help.

Here's an HD video of our first prototype (in African Padauk) in action.

I dropped quite a bit on the nail for this test and we saw exactly what we wanted to. A jump up as you start your dab to compensate for the initial drop in temp. Once carbed temps drop a few degrees for a nice slow burn and recovery once the carb was removed was under a second.

Keep in mind that the box will be assembled differently once we get a production model nailed down.

I actually own a High5 nail myself. They really do a bang up job for the money. Having one of their nails was actually part of what spurred this project on for us. The great service I got from them has pushed us harder to make sure we provide the same level of accessibility and quick response to our customers. I had a couple of very pleasant experiences with them, actually.

We just wanted to try to take it a step further and add more features we would use on a daily basis and the community seemed pretty responsive to that as this project has developed over the course of the year. The continued interest of our earliest supporters means there's at least some market for a full featured, integrated nail out there.

So we made one.

Fair enough. More power to you if there are people who would want something like this. Variety is the spice of the life; good luck on your venture. Thanks for your reply.

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I actually think there is one hell of a market for something like this! I love the wood and the touch screen. If you compare it to Errlectric it really does offer you more bang for your buck. And there will always be those high end concentrate connoisseurs and wood lovers that would shell out $420 for this instead of $250 for an Omron PiD unit. Probably some of the same folks that would be willing to pay $200 for a nail and $300 for a Sapphire insert to use with (Liger or D-nail Halos).
My enail sits out all of the time, much to my girlfriends displeasure. She hates the look of that PiD sitting out but hey, it's how we medicate. But then I showed her this and she said she would MUCH rather see that sitting out, the aesthetics alone give some value for me.

I am on board for this one Ava, show me more!

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.

As a fellow Portlandian I wish you much success. Would love to see the Hex-Nail in person.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
As a fellow Portlandian I wish you much success. Would love to see the Hex-Nail in person.
Once our second batch of prototypes is ready to go and our tuning is a little more dialed in we're absolutely going to want to have people try it out in the Portland area.

We're so excited to get 'real' feedback from the kind of folks who we hope will end up being loyal customers. The doors will be open soon...

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
Once our second batch of prototypes is ready to go and our tuning is a little more dialed in we're absolutely going to want to have people try it out in the Portland area.

We're so excited to get 'real' feedback from the kind of folks who we hope will end up being loyal customers. The doors will be open soon...

Willing and able:)

Silat,
Reactions: NSCocoa

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
WE ARE OFFICIALLY MOVED INTO THE NEW SPACE IN PORTLAND.

We finished today other than the general unpacking and what not. We already have most of what we need to do some new prototypes and Portland has so many amazing places to source our materials from.

Construction starts tomorrow and we've got a few other fun things in the works that may be announced soon, too.

Oh, we're also launching a wood swatch viewer on the site tomorrow so you can actually see what the woods we use look like.

Heck, as an apology for dropping off for a couple of days here's a second video of the Hex-Nail at work.

NickDlow

Log Hog
WE ARE OFFICIALLY MOVED INTO THE NEW SPACE IN PORTLAND.

We finished today other than the general unpacking and what not. We already have most of what we need to do some new prototypes and Portland has so many amazing places to source our materials from.

Construction starts tomorrow and we've got a few other fun things in the works that may be announced soon, too.

Oh, we're also launching a wood swatch viewer on the site tomorrow so you can actually see what the woods we use look like.

Heck, as an apology for dropping off for a couple of days here's a second video of the Hex-Nail at work.

Congrats on the good news.

The temp reading on the screen, is that the temp of the coil or the actual nail surface? If it's the coil temp, how much heat is lost in the transfer?

If you could get a video up with low temps (475-575) that would be good to see. I run my Errlectric at 480 with their Ti nail.

Kinda wish this was out when I was shopping for a nail. Maybe I can convince my better half that she needs it lol.

Top Bottom