Here's your chance to buy a D-nail Sapphire Halo!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@Oneiric that looks good to me, I like the smaller rigs personally. A lot has to do with what you need, some people are looking for a smoother hit and the recyclers are good for that, an ice catcher would be nice for some folks if they need the vapor cooler, problem is it just makes the rigs bigger and bigger which I don't think is ideal for concentrates.

Here's mine and it always delivers, no coughing, easy to clean -
http://www.dhgate.com/product/perco...-base/250319348.html#s1-8-7b;searl|1382654039

I have been looking at this one too -
http://www.dhgate.com/product/newes...percs/373468687.html#s1-3-1b;searl|1382654039

Gn0sis

Popped in the sapphire halo about a week ago...

I transitioned from a shitty "trilltech" Ti nail with a torch to a full sapphire dish enail setup in about a month and a half... What a difference! lol

Ime, the flavor is definitely fuller than the SiC and the hits are a bit smoother. The difference is nowhere near as much as between SiC and Ti though.

My only complaint is that you have to use a q-tip after every dab. Tried going without it for a couple days at first and too much stuff built up on the bottom. It's not very convenient if you're dabbing with friends.

Btw, the little bit of reclaim I have in the pic below is all that accumulated after 3 weeks of daily dabbing on the SiC dish /w sapphire insert. The full sapphire is even more efficient if such a thing can even be said. (pic is shortly before i put the first dab on the sapphire)

DnXnEDP.jpg

Monsoon

After 2.5 months of daily use mine is still going strong though it's more gray than white now. For a mild cleaning I up the temp to 800F but to get everything around the edges I need to up to 900-1000F. Above 800F I only go up and down in increments of 50-100F to minimize thermal shock, higher temps should be safe since Bubbleman and some others clean theirs at 1100F. If you accidentally took a dab at those temps it might crack it as well as dirty up your dish, I think that's the main reason behind 750F max warning on the product label.

I still love the taste and dab quality that it gives and unless something big comes along I think this may be an end-game setup for me. I still like the SiC and Quartz dishes for outside dabbing with friends and mitigate risk of breakage but the sapphire is tops in taste and smoothness. That said, I think the SiC Halo is just a notch below in performance and the lower price and increased durability make it an much better bargain. Depends whether you think the extra $170 is worth it or not.

Gn0sis

After 2.5 months of daily use mine is still going strong though it's more gray than white now. For a mild cleaning I up the temp to 800F but to get everything around the edges I need to up to 900-1000F. Above 800F I only go up and down in increments of 50-100F to minimize thermal shock, higher temps should be safe since Bubbleman and some others clean theirs at 1100F. If you accidentally took a dab at those temps it might crack it as well as dirty up your dish, I think that's the main reason behind 750F max warning on the product label.

I still love the taste and dab quality that it gives and unless something big comes along I think this may be an end-game setup for me. I still like the SiC and Quartz dishes for outside dabbing with friends and mitigate risk of breakage but the sapphire is tops in taste and smoothness. That said, I think the SiC Halo is just a notch below in performance and the lower price and increased durability make it an much better bargain. Depends whether you think the extra $170 is worth it or not.

After doing a heat clean, try filling the cooled-down dish with rubbing alcohol and let it soak for a couple of minutes. Then, scrape those corners/edges with a toothpick. Works really well for me...

herbivore21

Oh bless you guys! Glad to see so many enjoying sapphire now!

Just wanted to fill anyone interested in on where I'm at with concentrate consumption techniques now. I've really changed my methods of consumption quite a bit over recent times to maximize efficiency and flavor.

I find steam from a steam wand (or anything you can get steam out of really) is the absolute best way to clean the sapphire halo. I have not taken the heat on my sapphire halo beyond 540f for a very long time indeed!

Take the sapphire dish off of the nail, place it inside a nogoo silicone container (perfect snug fit!), get some heat proof gloves on to avoid nasty steam burns on your hands and hold the nogoo with the sapphire halo inside under the steam wand (use one from a cheap espresso machine, make sure it has a good bit of pressure!) and apply the steam for as long as necessary. The sapphire will get hot very quick hence the gloves and silicone. You'll see the residue literally blow away! Gets your sapphire looking as new very quickly without spending your coil or scraping with anything at all!

This same technique works wonders with oil pen cartridges. Even the most residue filled ones! Iso is almost useless in comparison for cleaning these!

This same technique is also amazing for cleaning glass, metal accessories, dab tools and just about anything else you can think of.

I definitely still use the SiC for torch use and when I'm out of the house (same reason as my man @Monsoon explained above), although my quartz halo has remained unused for a year or so. I don't care at all for quartz anymore, but must point out for those that do use quartz still that nothing else cleans quartz like steam! :D

I've had an Evo for a while now too and have actually found that concentrates taste better convection vaped in an ELB sandwiched between 316L SS wool than when dabbed on the quartz or SiC halo. A major benefit of this setup over a quartz enail is that you will not miss a single drop of your concentrate vapor to trails drifting off into the air above your nail in-between hits. This is very efficient and ensures that you get all of the goods out of your material, with the ability to avoid cooking of the material in-between hits by simply removing the ELB.

This is my favorite way to hit 4-5 star bubble hashes too. Of course, 5 star hash is dabbable, but the excess residue from contaminant (like resin gland membranes and trichome stalks) gets funky and harsh toward the end of the dab - not so much in a vape. For 4 star bubble, which is not dabbable, I find this as enjoyable to vape in the evo as full melt! I would never rosin 4 star bubble hash now!

Of course, I am still dabbing 6 star full melt and rosin (although I use rosin less and less these days) on my sapphire halo though - it is hands down the best in these usage scenarios.

If you predominately use rosin, the sapphire halo is the best option money can buy right now IMO. If you predominately use hash and rarely get six star super melty stuff - or use any other concentrates but simply don't have the considerable cash required for a sapphire halo setup - consider the evo instead using the SS sandwich tek in the ELB's (I don't bother with vapexnails)! I understand that the Evo is not exactly cheap itself, but IIRC it can be had cheaper than a d-nail controller with a quartz or sic halo and all the required accessories, let alone sapphire.

Also yes folks, you guys just saw me recommend a non d-nail product over a few d-nail products lol. I know - I just pinched myself too! Of course, I hope this helps some of you guys, especially any fellow hash aficionados lurking about. There's not enough good info for hash vaporists out there!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Much better performance with the d-nail slim series base. The smaller air hole versus the stock china hybrid enail and the washer to go between the dish and the heater seem to be the 2 biggies. I noticed the vapor was considerably denser, which lead to finishing the dab in less draws. Also, I think I can drop my temps a bit since that washer sits so flush the heat is really distributed quite well! I think maybe a bigger washer may be in order. Thoughts?

Oneiric

SO I love the Sapphire Halo Nail with Slim Series base I finally just got. Started using them on monday with the dnail carb cap, high 5 lcd v2 enail, and high5 flat coil.

Love the flavor and vapor production. Using the extremely well fitting dnail carb cap, I get full vaporization like I haven't with any other previous setup.

Now one BIG problem I have is that while I took my dab just a few minutes ago, after capping and during my pull, I heard a small "crack", and my fears have been confirmed with a small crack along one of the vertical sides. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I know these aren't under warranty, but I sent in an email just in case. I've had the halo for almost a month, but had to wait for the slim series which just came in on Saturday. Used it for 3 days from monday to today using temps from 560-650, total of maybe 1.5g through the thing. I love this thing beyond any other nail I've had, but I can't justify another $300 when I only got 3 days of use out of the first one.... too much of a risk for me.

Anyone know if I have any other options at this point? I feel like I'm grasping at straws...

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Ouch @Oneiric, this makes me want to look into a dnail heater but for 90$. After all I've invested is just another cost I'd rather not deal with.

Can you post of a pic of your base with the halo so we can see where the individual parts are located?

Last edited:
psychonaut,

Gn0sis

SO I love the Sapphire Halo Nail with Slim Series base I finally just got. Started using them on monday with the dnail carb cap, high 5 lcd v2 enail, and high5 flat coil.

Love the flavor and vapor production. Using the extremely well fitting dnail carb cap, I get full vaporization like I haven't with any other previous setup.

Now one BIG problem I have is that while I took my dab just a few minutes ago, after capping and during my pull, I heard a small "crack", and my fears have been confirmed with a small crack along one of the vertical sides. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I know these aren't under warranty, but I sent in an email just in case. I've had the halo for almost a month, but had to wait for the slim series which just came in on Saturday. Used it for 3 days from monday to today using temps from 560-650, total of maybe 1.5g through the thing. I love this thing beyond any other nail I've had, but I can't justify another $300 when I only got 3 days of use out of the first one.... too much of a risk for me.

Anyone know if I have any other options at this point? I feel like I'm grasping at straws...

Really sorry to hear about your loss... But they're definitely not going to say anything you'd want to hear in that email.

On the order page for the sapphire halo they write:

"Use ONLY with official D-NAiL® brand flat coil heaters, nail bases, and control stations. We can only guarantee a perfect fit and ideal heating conditions on our own products - other brands may have differences (sizing, heat distribution, etc) that can affect performance or even damage/destroy the dish."

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.

GAAAAAHHH!

Oh man, that blows.
When tightening the fastening nut I get it barely tight, and then maybe untighten it a bit.
I accidentally put a small chip in my Quartz Halo; I'm pretty sure I had it too tight.

Is the crack only on the vertical wall?
If the dabbing surface is unmarred I bet you could still use the Halo.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: your Sapphire Halo looks quite a bit more translucent than mine.
Here is a pic when it was new:

Agfm9t7l.jpg

Oneiric

GAAAAAHHH!

Oh man, that blows.
When tightening the fastening nut I get it barely tight, and then maybe untighten it a bit.
I accidentally put a small chip in my Quartz Halo; I'm pretty sure I had it too tight.

Is the crack only on the vertical wall?
If the dabbing surface is unmarred I bet you could still use the Halo.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: your Sapphire Halo looks quite a bit more translucent than mine.
Here is a pic when it was new:

Agfm9t7l.jpg
I noticed earlier that there is also a crack along the bottom side. As far as I can tell, it does not go up the inner wall.

Mine only appears more translucent because of the lighting and the coating of my used up bho. Mine looked just like yours when it was new.

NevadaPradah

Do you think the crack was caused by the retaining nut being too tight or because it was not used with the official nail coil?

NevadaPradah,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Oneiric

Do you think the crack was caused by the retaining nut being too tight or because it was not used with the official nail coil?
I know I didn't screw it on too tight, because the first time around I was nervous about it, so after I cleaned it for the first time, I was extra careful about screwing on the retaining nut.

I know that the warning says to use only dnail coils and heater systems, but I can't imagine that a brand new enail and flat coil from High5 can be so different as to cause this random problem.

I made it a point to use all other dnail parts: slim series base, 2.0 carb cap, sapphire halo. I only used a high5 coil because I already had a new high5 lcd unit with omron PID that wasn't compatible with the pins from the dnail flat coil.

I've sent dnail some pictures they have asked me to take, so still waiting on what the final word will be on that.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@Oneiric I hope d-nail wants to see it physically, and also I'm curious if they have a way to repair it. The way you have it setup, with the washer below the dish, your heater is the washer.

psychonaut,

Oneiric

@Oneiric I hope d-nail wants to see it physically, and also I'm curious if they have a way to repair it. The way you have it setup, with the washer below the dish, your heater is the washer.
Yeah, I assembled that way after reading somewhere on here that it is better so that you're putting less stress on the sapphire dish.

I'm really not sure what happened to cause the crack.

Oneiric,

humpi

Hey oneiric

I have a crack in my sapphire halo too. Just like yours, discovered it today. I haven't even touched it since I got it. Highest temp was 570. Honestly don't know what I did.

I know the feeling man :(

It is still functional. I definitely don't feel a difference in dabs.

Gn0sis

Yeah, I assembled that way after reading somewhere on here that it is better so that you're putting less stress on the sapphire dish.

I'm really not sure what happened to cause the crack.

could it be that your control station heats up the coil too quickly and thermally shocks the sapphire a little more than it can handle?

Gn0sis,

Oneiric

could it be that your control station heats up the coil too quickly and thermally shocks the sapphire a little more than it can handle?
The unit had been on for a couple of hours that morning. It was the third dab of the day when it suddenly cracked during the third pull. I don't think it was because the unit was heating too quickly since it cracked after the unit had been on and stable for a while.

I still haven't heard back the results of their investigation. Will update when I do.

Oneiric,

Monsoon

Hey oneiric

I have a crack in my sapphire halo too. Just like yours, discovered it today. I haven't even touched it since I got it. Highest temp was 570. Honestly don't know what I did.

I know the feeling man :(

It is still functional. I definitely don't feel a difference in dabs.
Might be worth reporting it to D-Nail just to let them know in case there was an issue with the last batch and it might help @Oneiric's case. I think if it breaks after a few months it's one thing but if it cracks after the first few days at low temps it could indicate a manufacturing issue.

Oneiric

Might be worth reporting it to D-Nail just to let them know in case there was an issue with the last batch and it might help @Oneiric's case. I think if it breaks after a few months it's one thing but if it cracks after the first few days at low temps it could indicate a manufacturing issue.
Just heard back from dnail and all they will do is secure me a spot on the next batch of sapphire nails at the list price of $300.

@humpi please also file a claim to dnail about your dish. Hopefully this can lead to some problem in manufacturing like Monsoon said that has lead to the defect of susceptibility to cracking.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
This is bad news, and I guess I knew this was how it was going to be handled. They seemed really clear in the emails that this dish had absolutely no warranty, and their best advice to protect our investment was to spend nearly $1,000. in total for d-nail branded equipment.

Did they not want to see the dish physically before making their final judgement?

psychonaut,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Oneiric

This is bad news, and I guess I knew this was how it was going to be handled. They seemed really clear in the emails that this dish had absolutely no warranty, and their best advice to protect our investment was to spend nearly $1,000. in total for d-nail branded equipment.

Did they not want to see the dish physically before making their final judgement?
They asked for 2 rounds of photos, and said those were sent off to R&D to see if they can determine what the cause was.

After that, the reply was today that the only thing they could offer was to be on the list for the next batch. I sent another email asking for more clarification on whether they found this to be a manufacturing defect or not. They also gave me some PR line about how they sell these almost at cost because their founder believes we deserve to have access to these.

Monsoon

Just heard back from dnail and all they will do is secure me a spot on the next batch of sapphire nails at the list price of $300.

They asked for 2 rounds of photos, and said those were sent off to R&D to see if they can determine what the cause was.

After that, the reply was today that the only thing they could offer was to be on the list for the next batch. I sent another email asking for more clarification on whether they found this to be a manufacturing defect or not. They also gave me some PR line about how they sell these almost at cost because their founder believes we deserve to have access to these.

Better than nothing given its limited availability but that still really sucks. On the flip side I can understand D-Nail's position, it's hard to prove that it wasn't user error and replacing it means they're out the full cost of the dish which they're not really making money off of in the first place. It's still considered a beta given that you have to join a secret list which isn't openly advertised and they can only grow 200 dishes per year. Since you already have the slim series base, I would suggest buying the SiC Halo when it's back in stock. In my opinion it's just a notch below the the Sapphire in taste which is balanced out with being super durable, easy to clean to like new and only $80. The Quartz Halo is good too but not as durable and the heat doesn't travel up the sides as well.

Any potential future owners should take note of this before ordering one:

Everyone has different budgets, if you're not able to easily write off the cost of the dish you should think really hard before buying one and have a backup on hand because something like that probably will break at some point. Same goes for all beta, 1st generation, crowdfunded and pre-order products. I've bought them all, it's always a gamble to some extent and even the stellar products were at least late.

Top Bottom