Herbs that smell like piss

OO

Technical Skeptical
So i picked up another batch that smelled like piss, and i'm glad i did.
let me explain.

my first batch that smelled like piss came from a plant that was short, but just one thick cola.

when you agitated it, it smelled sweet like heavenly mangoes.

i called it all for myself, and when it was ready i smoked a j of it and it was fantastic, fruity and sweet, but a little stoney.

so i let it sit in a jar for a couple weeks, and when i opened the jar, a strong, ammonia-like piss smell came out.

so i immediately got rid of it.

if only i had broken it up!

i found a new batch with the same smell, but when i started to break it up, the amazing sweet tropical smell comes right back.

has anyone else experienced this?

OO,

wthanna

OO said:
So i picked up another batch that smelled like piss, and i'm glad i did.
let me explain.

my first batch that smelled like piss came from a plant that was short, but just one thick cola.

when you agitated it, it smelled sweet like heavenly mangoes.

i called it all for myself, and when it was ready i smoked a j of it and it was fantastic, fruity and sweet, but a little stoney.

so i let it sit in a jar for a couple weeks, and when i opened the jar, a strong, ammonia-like piss smell came out.

so i immediately got rid of it.

if only i had broken it up!

i found a new batch with the same smell, but when i started to break it up, the amazing sweet tropical smell comes right back.

has anyone else experienced this?

It's all about curing when it comes to that smell. You've got to open those jars every day when you still have moist feeling buds or that is what it will lead to.

wthanna,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
i haven't run into it, but i've heard there's a strain that's called Cat Piss, after smelling all the other crazy flavors it isn't necessarily that crazy.

people still say it smells good, even smelling like cat piss, which sounds weird, but i thought smelling like diesel and still smelling good was weird before i had any diesel strains too.

EDIT
found this http://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/reeferman-seeds-original-haze/prod_1401.html
Reefermans Original Haze "It has a strong cat piss smell"

rabblerouser,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Vicki,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I've had Cat Pee, and while it did smell odd, it was no way near the horrendous odor of cat piss.

aesthyrian,

lwien

Anarobic bacteria will make your stash smell like ammonia, which is akin to cat piss. Best way to prevent this is to burp your jars every day after curing for a few weeks and then follow up with a burp once a week unless bud is very dry.

lwien,

NoSmoke

lwien said:
Anarobic bacteria will make your stash smell like ammonia, which is akin to cat piss. Best way to prevent this is to burp your jars every day after curing for a few weeks and then follow up with a burp once a week unless bud is very dry.

"Cat Piss" is exactly what Iwien said "Anarobic bacteria" and that will hurt you, could even lead to a lung infection. Best way to know if your bud is free of mold is to use a microscope and check out your bud, along with smelling it, but the true test is in the microscope. You did a good job tossing that shit, the inside might of smelled good, but I'm betting it was moldy. Best way to check for mold, according to the Cannabible is to break the top off the bud and inspect the inside with a microscope, any sign of mold at all= garbage can, better to be out the money then sick IMHO

Edit: mold usually looks like a spider web when using a microscope, don't confuse those pretty little rain drop looking things ( THC) for mold :brow:, and also the stem will always have fuzzy hair (that you can really see with a scope) that sometimes also gets confused for mold :2c:

NoSmoke,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
lwien said:

Ah thanks; I had never thought of something like this. It makes sense from a microbiology perspective (was 1/2 my degree). This is just an off the wall question, but do you think that storing weed under an inert atmosphere/gas would work? As in keeping degradation to zero or a minimum?

Tom

tdavie,

lwien

tdavie said:
This is just an off the wall question, but do you think that storing weed under an inert atmosphere/gas would work? As in keeping degradation to zero or a minimum?

Tom

Don't know. Never tried it. Logically, it sounds like it would work. Don't know what other affects would occur, if any.

lwien,

OO

Technical Skeptical
NoSmoke said:
lwien said:

"Cat Piss" is exactly what Iwien said "Anarobic bacteria" and that will hurt you, could even lead to a lung infection. Best way to know if your bud is free of mold is to use a microscope and check out your bud, along with smelling it, but the true test is in the microscope. You did a good job tossing that shit, the inside might of smelled good, but I'm betting it was moldy. Best way to check for mold, according to the Cannabible is to break the top off the bud and inspect the inside with a microscope, any sign of mold at all= garbage can, better to be out the money then sick IMHO

Edit: mold usually looks like a spider web when using a microscope, don't confuse those pretty little rain drop looking things ( THC) for mold :brow:, and also the stem will always have fuzzy hair (that you can really see with a scope) that sometimes also gets confused for mold :2c:
anaerobic bacteria=/= mold

i'm not worried about either of them, in the past i have smoked moldy weed, and been fine.
(it was the worst high i've ever had (number of factors at work though))

i think that i'll be fine if i vape bacteria, my immune system is the awse. and i have bacteria in my own body to compete with any foreign ones.

my qualm about mold is because i am allergic to certain ones, though i have been fine consuming moldy weed, so i'm assuming the ones that attack weed aren't too bad, at least to my system.

OO,

OO

Technical Skeptical
tdavie said:
lwien said:

Ah thanks; I had never thought of something like this. It makes sense from a microbiology perspective (was 1/2 my degree). This is just an off the wall question, but do you think that storing weed under an inert atmosphere/gas would work? As in keeping degradation to zero or a minimum?

Tom
storing under inert gases would prevent most of the THC from oxidizing into CBN http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2921982/
it would not stop anaerobic bacteria from thriving if present.

i'm not much of a biologist, so i haven't yet evaluated the validity of the "ammonia produced by anaerobic bacteria" argument yet.

any biologists here?

oh, and THC doesn't just decompose via oxidation, so i'm not sure how much decomposition this would prevent.

OO,
Top Bottom