Herborizer & Ape Vape Reviews

ozwiz

owner Vaporiser World NOW live Australia
Well what can I say it sure has been a steep learning curve for me in the vaporizer world. I tried the early vapir original in about 2002 & the thing was useless so I gave vaporizing a miss thought it was all b.s.

4 years later I'm on the net & google vaporizer again & could not believe the range of vaporizers available. I now own an extreme ,v tower ,super vapezilla , vaportower , stealth , herborizer & my business partner who is now a convert to vaping has just received his ape vape . I also have a couple of portables but their not for this thread.

The reason I've said all this is to let you know I've definitely changed my mind about vaporizing & learnt with experience. The herborizer & the ape vape are both a cut above the rest IMO . The extreme setup with a good glass bong would probably be very similar to the experience with these two .I'll have to try it ( think marcuss already has) . Anyway the herborizer is all glass but I got the XL sphere model 3.5mm thick it's pretty tough .No breakages yet ( touch wood). The thing is just amazing the flavor , economy everything about it is just that little bit better than the others which all do what they are supposed to pretty well.

I have it set between 7 & 8 on the temp controller which equates to 180c - 190c . The thickness & flavor of the vapor is really great . Icy cold water is the way to go.;)I leave it in the fridge & pull it out as soon as I walk in the bloody door !:o It comes with a glass tube attachment & a whip with a glass mouthpiece. I have pictures of these & will post some eventually .The whip is the preferred method of usage in this house. Goes ok with the tube though .Put it this way if I'm at home the only vaporizer I use now is the herborizer it's that good . Looks like I'll sell a couple of vapes now I will still keep the extreme though , it's so versatile & Steve at www.arizer.com is so good with customer service.

It is simple to clean . I've used the whip every day for 2 months now & it still looks brand new.Sebastien (french) the guy I dealt with at www.herborizer.com gave me a really good grinder with pollen catcher & a smell & wateproof little stash tube both stainless steel & engraved pretty cool . :cool:If you have the money & the place for it my advice is buy a herborizer . I will post more on the ape vape soon only used it for 2 sessions going their now it's different to any other vape I've tried.:cheers:

ozwiz,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Icy cold water is the way to go.winkI leave it in the fridge & pull it out as soon as I walk in the bloody door !
I like your style. ;)

marcuss said he loves his Herborizer as well. With all the vapes you two have used, one has to think it kicks some serious ass!

What kind of heating system does it use? The Ape Vape uses a halogen bulb iirc.

Look forward to more info, not too much on herborizer.com.

:cheers:

vtac,

glizitch

indeed...

great post...

herborzier look cool

but true there is not much info at the site

g

glizitch,

ozwiz

glizitch said:
indeed...

great post...

herborzier look cool

but true there is not much info at the site

g
Yes I agree not much info on site I will post more info & photos of the herborizer piece by piece in the near future .;)

ozwiz,

djelimon

Regards the ape vape - checked out their web site.

Do have a quibble with their information:

Most vaporizers on the market have ignored the time tested cooling properties of a water pipe, and leave the user with an inefficient bag or tube for inhalation.
A water filter enhances the taste and cools the smoke, but in no way does it enhance efficiency, in fact the opposite, according to the MAPPS same study that says vaporizing is better than smoking in general.

That said, it looks like a brilliant design:

temperature accuracy issue should be nil.

Durable. Well, I could see the bulb you spoke of burning out eventually. I'd be curious as to the warranty and availability of parts.

Easy to clean.

Modular.

And hell, I could always leave the water out of the bong.

djelimon,

max

Out to lunch
djelimon said:
Regards the ape vape - checked out their web site.

Do have a quibble with their information:

Most vaporizers on the market have ignored the time tested cooling properties of a water pipe, and leave the user with an inefficient bag or tube for inhalation.
A water filter enhances the taste and cools the smoke, but in no way does it enhance efficiency, in fact the opposite, according to the MAPPS same study that says vaporizing is better than smoking in general.

That said, it looks like a brilliant design:

temperature accuracy issue should be nil.

Durable. Well, I could see the bulb you spoke of burning out eventually. I'd be curious as to the warranty and availability of parts.

Easy to clean.

Modular.

And hell, I could always leave the water out of the bong.
I believe they mean 'the designers' of most vaporizers, since a vape can neither ignore or aknowledge anything. :lol:

For most users, I think it's a myth that vapor needs to be cooled. My Purple-Days vape puts me less than 3 1/2" from the bowl when I'm taking a draw, yet I feel no need whatsoever to cool the vapor. And I'm a person that turned stictly to vapor because I could no longer tolerate harsh smoke. I've tried a water filtered vape and found that the large airways resulted in too much air coming with the hits. Despite the water, all the air quickly dried out my throat and made the vaping experience less than satisfactory. Airways on a vape that are larger than the typical whip size are not to my liking at all.

Also, despite their claim of efficiency, the APE loses THC in the vapor path two ways. Although THC isn't water soluble, some is trapped in water. And before and after the water, vapor is lost through condensation on the glass. Glass is not a good conductor of heat. Good for cooling, if you find that necessary, but cooler surfaces quickly attract vapor. Glass makes for a very inefficient vapor path. The short vapor path on my PD, with only 3" of tubing, results in very high efficiency. Very little vapor is condensed in the tube and it requires cleaning much less often than a typical glass whip.

The halogen bulb should last for a long time. I have a Vaporlight, which uses a 35W halogen bulb, and it's still going strong after a couple of years of use. The bulbs are about $5 from any store with a decent selection of light bulbs. As for the APE bulb? You'd think they would tell you on the site if the bulb was a standard commercial one that could easily be replaced. I'm curious, so I emailed them. I'll post their response.

I'd be curious as to the warranty
Me too. $420 + shipping deserves a good warranty for that computer module. I can't believe they would have a decent warranty and yet not mention it on their site. I've asked them about that too.

The Herborizer, at $100 (US) less, seems like a much safer buy for this type of vape. No computer module to worry about.

ozwiz

Going on my & several mates opinions on all the vaporizers mentioned in the herborizer review the verdict still is the herborizer 1st by a fair bit . I've read the MAPPS study & some other report that sort of contradicted the MAPPS report . Anyway that's all better left to you more technical minded guys to figure out . All I'm going on is my & few other peoples' experiences. Quite honestly this herborizer rocks I've been toking for 35 years & this thing reminds me of how high I got when I first smoked a number:o All that have tried it feel the same way.

As far as the ape vape , as I said previously I've only used it a few times now . I like the thick & flavorsome vapor it gives but it's definitely not as efficient as the herborizer or the others I own for that matter . It's also very bulky , the images on the site are very deceptive .It 's a lot heavier than I thought it would be too.:disgust: I wouldn't buy one but my mate is stoked he was a big bong man so he rates the ape vape first .:/ I'll weigh the ape vape & post it the bulk of it sort of turns me off a bit .Great flavor & effect though. :rolleyes: It seems to me like it's a bit of a proto-type & would be better with some refinement .

The herborizer is much simpler to use & the herb just sort of sits there waiting in suspended animation for you!:cool:

ozwiz,
Reactions: Alexis

marcuss

above the clouds
well...i was planning to do a "herbo" report but Ozwiz came first and drop his combo rewiew...maybe a so top-class and underated vape should need a thread for it alone?

I don't know a lot about the ape vape but they take the original aromed idea and put some microchip inside...so this two vapes are really different.
Clean monothematic rewiews are welcome!comparision are a different field.
Anyway i agree with ozwiz...the herborizer rocks....don't waste your words saying that water isn't useful in vaping or decrease the effect....try the herbo and after you can say your comment.
I love my extreme for bags and with my glass ice bong but honestly the herbo has already won the taste/effect contest.
I like so much to see the vapor path cleary and the material getting brown...and the short vapor way is the goal...I'm sure that the heater upon the bowl makes a difference but i can't explain it better!
I've got the sphere xl(1l. fiask) and the regular(0.5L fiask)to give them a test and i can say that only difference is the temp knob in the xl that allow you to change the temp.I think this is a 100? optional for a vape addict like me and the regular one rocks in the same way.

marcuss,

max

Out to lunch
don't waste your words saying that water isn't useful in vaping or decrease the effect....try the herbo and after you can say your comment.
A little defensive this Monday morning aren't you marcuss? :lol: I'm sticking with my opinion. Trying a different vape isn't going to change my mind. As I said, it's not the water itself I mind so much, although I do find it a noisy nuisance. It's the wider airways involved with vapes using water. Too much air doesn't agree with me or fit my vaping style. None of us on this forum are discussing any inferior vapes as far as what we own. They all do a good job and which one(s) we use is/are a matter of personal preference. I'd love to try the herborizer but I doubt that's going to happen since pretty much the only way I get to try a vape is to buy one, and between shipping costs and having to sell it at a discount afterwards, it could easily cost me a hundred bucks just to try it. If I were really interested in it, I'd probably risk buying one, but since it's not my style of vape, I can't justify it.

max,

marcuss

above the clouds
max....you know monday morning is hard indeed....but believe me i don't speak only to you that likes a different kind of vape...i just say that the herbo put me ko after one bowl....if a put the same bowl in an other vape...the effect is lighter...so i don't believe people that speaks about a litte amount of resin lost in the water...if the vape works properly and i can get a pure vapor hit...i feel better in my day....i'm writing just after a herbo session:brow: and i can say the monday afternoom is far better!
I invite you for a vapor holiday here in my place on the hills if you come to europe..bring the PD!

ozwiz...don't get me wrong...we can open a herbo and a ape vape thread and share our impression to the forum...yes co-operation is a must!

marcuss,
Reactions: Alexis

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
hahahaha classic stuff! I love the look of the herbo. All that glass is beautiful but I'm sitting a little in Maxs camp atm. I don't use my water filter set up much these days. The noise is annoying and another thing I have found is the resin build up on the glass tends to smell a bit rank and taint the taste especially on the first couple of hits which, if taken straight from the whip taste awesome. I know i could clean the bong but it just becomes another thing I cant be fucked doing.

The ape vape looks amazing too ... but $400US plus is just too much technology making the price too high for me. That could buy me a DB and a fat sticky ounce :lol:

vaporcloud,

max

Out to lunch
marcuss said:
max....you know monday morning is hard indeed....but believe me i don't speak only to you that likes a different kind of vape...i just say that the herbo put me ko after one bowl....
I can believe it. I can see how much vapor that sphere can collect.

i don't believe people that speaks about a litte amount of resin lost in the water
Vapor condenses on all surfaces. It's the law :science: Even Aromed acknowledges it (another vape I'd like to try). But when using finely ground herb a water filter is the healthiest way to go since it filters small particles. I might have to request a 7th Floor WF for my SSV at Christmas time. I think the small size may suit me. Not sure about the addtitional apparatus though. :/

I invite you for a vapor holiday here in my place on the hills if you come to europe..bring the PD!
Might take you up on that offer one of these days. The way the cost of gas is going up, air travel is starting to be a bargain. As for the PD, it may have to make the trip on a UPS plane. :lol:

max,

marcuss

above the clouds
sticky...:lol::lol::lol:....u right...too fucked up....i don't remember what tha fuck i done yesterday...the herbo side effect...:lol::lol:

marcuss,

marcuss

above the clouds
max...i know that oil doesn't mix with water and some sticks to the glass...but the big hits this vape can give me make me just say...who cares!
Anyway the herbo creator say that you can use it without water if you like....but...tell me why some of the best vapes are with water filter....just to play with water? no man!
this alchemy only happens with the water filtration...this is my finale idea!
i can say this after tests made on the aromed..the extreme with ice bong and the herbo.
I stay on the water side....hope you can take the plane with the PD...here nobody knows that little bomb...

marcuss,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I guess it's like a water bong... The MAPS study did find that enough THC was lost in the bong water as to declare that joints are more efficient. However, few people would rather hit a bong dry or say that a couple bowls didn't get them as buzzed as the same amount in a joint.

Yes, we do need to take a trip to marcuss' vapor hotel. :D
max said:
I believe they mean 'the designers' of most vaporizers, since a vape can neither ignore or aknowledge anything. lol
Unless the Ape Vape's CPU becomes self aware. :D

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
vtac said:
I guess it's like a water bong... The MAPS study did find that enough THC was lost in the bong water as to declare that joints are more efficient. However, few people would rather hit a bong dry or say that a couple bowls didn't get them as buzzed as the same amount in a joint.

Yes, we do need to take a trip to marcuss' vapor hotel. :D
max said:
I believe they mean 'the designers' of most vaporizers, since a vape can neither ignore or aknowledge anything. lol
Unless the Ape Vape's CPU becomes self aware. :D
A lot of THC is lost in side stream smoke with joints though, so I think a vape using a water filter would be more efficient. Plus, any THC in the water is recoverable, just like condensed vapor on glassware.

I did find the warranty info on the Ape Vape (missed it the first time). It's one year. "This covers everything on the system except for replacement heating elements, which are available for $8 from our sales department."

max,

mookow69

Would you recommend the herborizer marcuss? Can anyone report on the heat up time?

mookow69,

marcuss

above the clouds
I do recommend the herborizer as the best whip water filtered vape i ever tried...the heat up time is quite short, after five minutes it start to deliver delicious vapor!
Easy to clean up...analogic....no digital to fool you....i recommend this vape to all herbalist gourmet for the fantastic taste...the best i experienced....it remeber me my first time with a vaporizer...was the mitic verdamper:cool::cool:
Finally i can say i'm really above the clouds....the bigger hits i ever saw from a vape without burning paranoia!!i felt in love with it the first session...two bowls...:ko:
the water isn't a cons but a super pro!!!just after a bowl you can see how many plant debrids are in the water...otherwise they go in your lungs...then if you want you can filter it and drink the water as a tea!
Beside the glass seems built to last forever....semplicity is the answer!
The last week end my wife had a bad belly pain...like viral influence....the herbo helped her so much in healing the pain without using chemicals remedies!!

No dubts...the herbo sits on the top of my favorite vape list!

marcuss,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I've probably missed it, but what type of heating system does the Herborizer use?

vtac,

max

Out to lunch

Gotta be ceramic. "Injector"-$226.50 US. Ouch! OTOH everything, including the guts (this injector) is user replaceable. I think I like the tube version. $24 less and fewer parts for me to break. :lol:

What is the difference between the regular and XL hot air chamber? They both have the same height and diameter.

max,

ozwiz

max said:
[url]http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/4629/injecteur1ql7.th.jpg[/url]

Gotta be ceramic. "Injector"-$226.50 US. Ouch! OTOH everything, including the guts (this injector) is user replaceable. I think I like the tube version. $24 less and fewer parts for me to break. :lol:

What is the difference between the regular and XL hot air chamber? They both have the same height and diameter.
Not sure Max I think it's a 1mm thicker . It's the part you have the most chance of breaking I think . We have a fair few visitors & have had no problems with breakages as yet .You have to be a little careful when packing the chamber , but apart from that I think it's about as much chance as breaking as your conventional glass bong .:/ You only get the heat regulator with the XL as well . The other thing is it's so bloody easy to clean . H gets a fair going over every day since we have got it , & it takes 2 mins . every other day to keep it absolutely sparkling . In my experience it was when cleaning your bong that breakages had the best chance of occurring. Another reason I decided on the sphere was that you can use it with the glass tube (ala website photo ) or with a whip which is by far the preferred method of usage here .:) There are a couple of laboratory sites (can't remember which) that have beakers very similar to the sphere for a fair whack cheaper I think from herborized memory !:lol:Same joint dimensions 18.8 as the sphere 2 openings in much the same position ,I'll try & find them again & post link .I think they were Australian sites though if we can get them here you would have no worries finding similar there for sure .

ozwiz,

marcuss

above the clouds
i've got both of them, no differences at all but the fiask capacity and the temps regulator...glass thickness is the same, heater dimension is the same
heater is ceramic wrapped in steel and in a glass tube...(waiting for a reply from Sebastien the owner to know what kind of steel is used)
I love the xl but the regular is good for 100? less
I like the tube as well and in short time one must be tested...not sure if you can put water in that but i know max this is not a problem for you:;)

marcuss,

marcuss

above the clouds

the herbo and his griffe grinder....good gift for me!
I love the fact that i was looking for the best vape for me in the whole world and i found it at few km from home....these french are incredible....they don't advertise it for they can't produce herbos on industrial scale...handcraft man....lovely!

marcuss,
Top Bottom