Herb Grinders

lwien

Ok, I know that I'm beginning to sound like a shill for Santa Cruz Shredder but believe me, that could not be further from the truth.

Last week, I commented about the grind consistency of this grinder as compared to my Space Case. Well, last night was the first time I got a chance to vape the bud that came out of the SSC.

From my experience, whoever said that a particular grinder does not make that much of a difference, I say......poppycock. When I loaded up my LSV with this grind, I was flabbergasted. I got totally blasted on almost half as many hits as it took me to get there with my Space Case. It's not that the vapor clouds were more voluminous. They weren't, but......they were MUCH denser. I attribute this to the fact that the fluffed up grind that was produced by the SSC allowed for more air flow covering more surface area than the grind that I previously got from my Space Case.

I really was not prepared for the result. Blew me away.......literally. I don't know if the comparative results would be the same with another vaporizer but with the LSV, it was more than just obvious.

lwien

Ooops...........meant to say SCS, Santa Cruz Shredder. Sorry....(damn, too late to edit).

lwien,
Reactions: Vitolo

Catweasel

I've been quite happy with my Santa Cruz Shredder, it's been working as great now as it was when I first bought it, over a year ago. The ONLY thing that's gone wrong has been a couple areas around the rim where the top piece meets the second-most upper piece, where the paint rubbed off and made an awful sound, leaving smeary silver blemishes in the otherwise black paint. I don't really fault them for that, I don't clean the grinder hardly at all, so friction is gonna be inevitable with all the buildup of material in there.

lwien

I've been quite happy with my Santa Cruz Shredder, it's been working as great now as it was when I first bought it, over a year ago. The ONLY thing that's gone wrong has been a couple areas around the rim where the top piece meets the second-most upper piece, where the paint rubbed off and made an awful sound, leaving smeary silver blemishes in the otherwise black paint. I don't really fault them for that, I don't clean the grinder hardly at all, so friction is gonna be inevitable with all the buildup of material in there.

Umm....you may want to contact SCS on that. They may take care of that for you. It's worth a shot. Send them a pic.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
Ok, I know that I'm beginning to sound like a shill for Santa Cruz Shredder but believe me, that could not be further from the truth.

Last week, I commented about the grind consistency of this grinder as compared to my Space Case. Well, last night was the first time I got a chance to vape the bud that came out of the SSC.

From my experience, whoever said that a particular grinder does not make that much of a difference, I say......poppycock. When I loaded up my LSV with this grind, I was flabbergasted. I got totally blasted on almost half as many hits as it took me to get there with my Space Case. It's not that the vapor clouds were more voluminous. They weren't, but......they were MUCH denser. I attribute this to the fact that the fluffed up grind that was produced by the SSC allowed for more air flow covering more surface area than the grind that I previously got from my Space Case.

I really was not prepared for the result. Blew me away.......literally. I don't know if the comparative results would be the same with another vaporizer but with the LSV, it was more than just obvious.

yeah. i have a little sutra brand grinder that does a nice fluffy grind; It has similar teeth to the SLX grinders. Airflow is a big deal. I also was on the Space Case train for a long time.

Skunkport

I have found another new and unique German grinder. They're smoking some really good shit over there I think.

Oh and for anyone not sold on the BudBug with grip problems, here's a triangular grinder that might be easier to turn from a company called Gleichdick. Advertised as 100% made in Austria.
products-en-gleichdick-grinder-two-parts~2.jpg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
This is a repost of a post I just made in the Brilliant Cut Grinder thread, as I figured it belonged here as well:
(here's the Brilliant Cut Grinder thread)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts on the Brilliant Cut Grinder, from @Grinders for Life, so far…

I’ve had an early Beta version of this grinder for around a week now, and it’s been the only grinder I’ve used since It arrived.

Of course, first off I have to praise the quality of the materials and the attention to detail that they put into this thing. I couldn’t find a flaw in the finish anywhere. It looks freaking beautiful to be honest. Everything is machined perfectly. Everything fits together perfectly, the seams seal up nicely, and nothing wiggles that shouldn’t wiggle.

I was especially worried that the middle grinding plate would wiggle slightly against the bottom collection-chamber piece, but it most definitely does not. It’s literally perfect.

The magnets are plenty strong too. I even dropped the thing from different heights between one and two feet in the air onto my desk six or eight times, as well as simply pushing it off my desk a couple times to bounce off the floor, and it never popped open.

Speaking of the quality of the build and the metal, I noticed that the center plates SING when slid into/tapped against each other on a table. It has nothing to do with the function of the grinder…but that HAS to say something about the quality of the high end aluminum that they are using.

The grind is of course effortless and quick. Though, some leafy-thin bits of the herb always remained after a few turns that required me to turn and turn way more than I wanted to, in order get the last flakey bits to all go down through the grinding plate. Though, I have no worry about this because @Grinders for Life has already stated recently that they recognized this issue and have already changed the teeth in ways that will eliminate this issue. And, as good as they have been so far, I have no doubt that this is the case. And, as long as the newer design fixes that, I will have very little to criticize about this grinder

Otherwise, the grind itself is very consistent, especially the fine grind plate, which seems perfect for many of my vaporizers. I’d been grinding a bit rougher recently, using the SWII as my daily driver, and this nice even fine grind is a joy to have around. Though, the medium grind plate does a fantastic job on it’s own as well.

Admittedly, I barely used the largest grind plate, but I will later and I’m sure there will be time to share views on it as well.

The final grind is very consistent with this grinder, and I absolutely LOVE the treadless design. I’ve been wanting someone to release a grinder with no threads, and held together with magnets like this for as long as I’ve been using grinders. With very little practice I can open and close this thing with one hand, like cracking an egg with one hand into a pan, and I bloody adore that aspect. So, no threads to clean, and any part that gets any sticky on it is easily wiped off. This is the most convenient to use grinder that I’ve ever had the pleasure of using.

Now for my only criticisms…

The size.

The very first thing that popped into my head when I opened the box was that I’d been expecting it to be just a little bit bigger. Though, it can definitely grind enough for me, I’d rather it be slightly bigger purely for how it feels in my hands when grinding. I think that maybe if the outer sides of the top-piece were closer to the width of the bottom piece, that way I could get a better grip around it without my fingers getting in the way of the fingers in my other hand that’s holding onto the bottom-half, rather than feeling like I’m “finger-tipping” it (the top cap). I guess, overall I wish it were something like 20% larger, both in width and height. That’s still kind of a minor complaint though, not a deal-breaker by any means.

Those are my thoughts so far. I should make it clear that @Grinders for Life has made it clear to me that this is an earlier version of the grinder, and there have been multiple redesigns since this one, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the newer design just as soon as I can. The Brilliant Cut Grinder I have now is easily becoming my favorite grinder, and future improvements will get it closer and closer to perfection.

Here's the grinder I have with all three different size interchangeable center plates:
IMG_0173.jpg

With some herb in:
IMG_0176.jpg

The beautifully consistent grind:
IMG_0179.jpg

And, for a taste of what's to come, here is a pic that the manufacturer, @Grinders for Life posted recently of the newer redesigned teeth on the newer Beta models:

2dqrj2h.jpg

And lastly, here are a couple more pics from the manufacturer, showing the outside of the grinder & the types of color options that will be available:
Screen_Shot_2018_10_01_at_11_44_44_PM.png

And even how the threadless, magnetic, interchangeable parts will allow for the mix-n-matching of colors:
Screen_Shot_2018_10_01_at_11_45_33_PM.png

Last edited:

TNT_error

So I'm wondering which is the better grinder, the scs or sc? I've been using the cheap grinders (cc,ggc) and them mofos gunk on the threads and teeth. I can't even open the pollen catcher so I'm sure there's a crapload of treasures in it. I'm looking for something with a nice fluff grind that doesn't gunk up everything around 2". Thanks

Edit: I like the bcg, but I know the GAS can't wait that long lol

TNT_error,
Reactions: Ramahs

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
So I'm wondering which is the better grinder, the scs or sc? I've been using the cheap grinders (cc,ggc) and them mofos gunk on the threads and teeth. I can't even open the pollen catcher so I'm sure there's a crapload of treasures in it. I'm looking for something with a nice fluff grind that doesn't gunk up everything around 2". Thanks

Of you really can't wait for the bcg, my suggestion would be the SLX 2.
I've only owned one grinder in all the years I've consumed, this is very much FWIW.
I have an SLX 303, their first model, and although I've had some minor issues with it, the teeth (which provide a medium, fluffy grind IMO) have always remained clean and clear of any buildup, despite complete neglect on my part.
There are shortcomings, but I think they may all have been addressed in the 2.0.
I find that when I grind upside down (to achieve a finer grind) kief gets stuck between the top, and the other half of the grinder portion, causing it to jam (rare, but a pain).
The 2.0 has the slippery ceramic coating that's on the teeth of the first vape, but all over, inside and out, so I bet that this issue is solved now.

Kief also trends to stick to the bottom of the 303, requiring an occasional clean after harvesting the kief, not that big a deal, but the 2.0 has the cerakote all over, so I bet this doesn't happen either.
The cerakote has proven to be very durable for me over the last 4 years or so, and looks exactly as it did out of the box.

They're great guys at SLX, and customer service is great.
When I described the first issue above to them they sent me replacement grinder components (entire upper half of the grinder basically) immediately. (sadly it didn't solve the problem, so I just don't fine grind anymore)

The 2.0 is what I'd buy in your position, (but only if I couldn't wait for the BCG, as the BCG has one particular killer move that excites me.......NO THREADS!)
SLX doesn't have THAT!

Pound of salt and all that though :2c:

lwien

I have both, the SCS and the SC. I'd go with the SCS in a heartbeat simply because of the fluffed up grind that the SC is incapable of producing and that fluffed up grind provides much denser vapor in both may LSV and my MiniVap than the grind that comes out of my SC.

Ramahs

The 2.0 is what I'd buy in your position, (but only if I couldn't wait for the BCG, as the BCG has one particular killer move that excites me.......NO THREADS!)

Yes. The magnetic threadless design is a definite game-changer. I've seen an attempt or two at a magnetic threadless grinder by other companies in the past, but it was always more of a novelty, than a daily driver, because it was never done quite right. @Grinders for Life has done this one right.

Well, I am learning that there is definitely a difference in grinders.

I got my Chromium Crusher and I don't really like it. The teeth are more square than diamond shaped like my Aerospaced grinder. It's very hard to turn, especially when first loaded. Feels cheap. Makes ping noises LOL

Albeit, it was a $15 grinder.

The cheapo plastic grinder that came with the Plenty works better than this Crusher.

Looks like it might be time to try one of the 'high end' grinders.

Skunkport

The cheapo plastic grinder that came with the Plenty works better than this Crusher.

The S&B Herb Mill works better than a lot of grinders, I threw one in just to hit free shipping and it's amazingly fine, I did not know what a fine grind actually was until I got this. I actually find it too fine for my vapcaps.

Ramahs

Well, I am learning that there is definitely a difference in grinders.

I got my Chromium Crusher and I don't really like it. The teeth are more square than diamond shaped like my Aerospaced grinder. It's very hard to turn, especially when first loaded. Feels cheap. Makes ping noises LOL

Albeit, it was a $15 grinder.

Looks like it might be time to try one of the 'high end' grinders.

A cheap grinder like that will do the job and get you buy. If it's all you can afford, then rock it!
If you can squeeze a higher-end grinder into your budget though, it'll be worth it.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I had one grinder for easily 20 years. It wasn't labeled but it was very similar to the Crusher. About a year ago I got an SLX and recently I got a SWII. I prefer the SLX but the SWII was so well priced I grabbed it and it will be a good backup.
They are both way better than the one I relied on for many many years. I think grinder tech has vastly improved from the "old days".

Copacetic

I had one grinder for easily 20 years. It wasn't labeled but it was very similar to the Crusher. About a year ago I got an SLX and recently I got a SWII. I prefer the SLX but the SWII was so well priced I grabbed it and it will be a good backup.
They are both way better than the one I relied on for many many years. I think grinder tech has vastly improved from the "old days".
Which SLX do you have?
I have the 303, and really like it, except for some kinda minor issues, but the 2.0 seems like it must be better (and not too badly priced), so I'm always pining after one.

The Brilliant Cut Grinder really floats my boat too, but would be a bit more :2c:.

I'd be interested to hear your SLX experiences if you have the 2.0:nod:

Copacetic,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I DO have the 2.0, and I like it a lot. It stays pretty clean, it turns reasonably easily and I like the grind quite a bit. I had been using an old unlabeled crusher knockoff that I had for many years, and I decided I was due for an upgrade. I am very glad I made the move. This is a much smoother, easier to turn and more consistent grinder. I have no complaints so far.
I ordered the smaller one at first, but changed it for the larger one. I think that is the better option because it is easier to grab and you can always grind a little less at a time, but you can't grind more in a smaller grinder. :rolleyes:
I got it in purple, and I like the color too. :p
Get it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

BTW, I have had it since May and had no chips or other problems with the ceramic coating. I think it is a big plus...

Last edited:

abcd5432

IMHO, getting a quality Grinder really pays of, even if it is expensive... i had so many cheap ones until i spent the cash for a kannastör which was a joy to use for many Years.
Now i use a SLX which i really like...

Have a look at
  • Santa Cruz Shredder
  • SLX
  • Kannastör
  • Space Case
i would recommend SCS or SLX right now, the newer Kannastörs are more "special need Grinders".

The not released Brilliant Cut Grinder gets much love here...

:2c:
I realty thought scs was overrated.
For the price especially it makes no sense to me over my slx grinders. I've since given my scs away. $100 grinder giveaway!

I will say though my experience has only been with the "best" grinders though, so I'm not starting from a grew at reference point. Most people I know don't even own a grinder or own a stupidly cheap meh one.

Coming from the scs to the slx, my expectations on grinders are very high.

Last edited:

TNT_error

@Copacetic how about the scs 3 piece? I used chromium crushers for a while, and recently bought the scs from piu. Such a smooth grind and the herb is so fluffy perfect for vapes. I bought a swII, but returned it for another scs

TNT_error,
Reactions: Copacetic

Copacetic

@Copacetic how about the scs 3 piece? I used chromium crushers for a while, and recently bought the scs from piu. Such a smooth grind and the herb is so fluffy perfect for vapes. I bought a swII, but returned it for another scs
I love the idea of a threadless grinder, and I confess that I do also really rate the SLX ceramic coating, but I don't really know of other companies offering either of these features, so the scs is probably not for me, thanks for the suggestion though!
The 2" SLX is available in the UK for about £40 ATM, so I think that's where my sights are set for the moment.
Or maybe I should just stick with my SLX 303 until I can afford to get the Brilliant Cut somewhere down the road.
Realistically, the 303 is all the grinder I need ATM.
My Morwood Nomad will be coming in a month or two I think, so I really need to think about how I'm going to pay for the import tax on that, so maybe I should just keep it in my pants for the moment.

I'm one of those folks who never thought a grinder was really necessary, until I saw a bargain on Massdrop (remember when they still did 420 gear?) and the error of my ways was revealed to me.
A good grinder is an essential now, but I can't decide if I really need/can afford a better one than the 303.
Arg, another wall of text, guess how I've been relaxing this evening! :smug:

SLX 2.0 OWNERS!
A question, if you'll indulge me:
How many turns does it take to separate the small (50mm?) SLX 2.0.

My 303 takes just over 1.5 complete turns FWIW.

Last edited:
Copacetic,
Reactions: TNT_error

abcd5432

I never think about the turns I have a big slx. Well the bigger one. It's just an amazing grinder. I only have had it get stuck once.
It really depends I guess on if you have a medical or physical issue where you need it to be very easy to open, which some users of course do have.

If budget is tight I wouldn't get a new slx. If you've got extra money to spend then maybe? I'd probably branch out and try the gr8tr or something.

abcd5432,
Top Bottom