Herb Grinders

matthend

I have had my space case for at least 3 years and it has been through untold pounds without cleaning out the kief catcher. Why when i open it now am I faced with this? Is this a standard issue with the space case line?
Thanks!!
NQr8Z5J.jpg

matthend,
Reactions: Vitolo

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I have had my space case for at least 3 years and it has been through untold pounds without cleaning out the kief catcher. Why when i open it now am I faced with this? Is this a standard issue with the space case line?
Thanks!!
NQr8Z5J.jpg

When's the last time you cleaned the screen?
You sure that the screen didn't clog up and stop letting kief through a long time ago?

Vitolo

Vaporist
Thanks!!
NQr8Z5J.jpg
Herb when it goes in should be more dry than "live".
After grinding ( I grind with the grinder in orientation to the ground.... like a car tire), the grinder should be (if kief collection is a goal)... shaken, heavily, and repeatedly.... and the oriented toward the ground(like a landed frisbee) and tapped repeatedly and
"with intent"..
and the kief production will go up threefold.
Your kief appears to be from fresh weed.... or else from weed that has been "kiefed" (frozen, and while still in bud form, shaken to remove some trichomes... and leave nugs still looking intact.)
You can decide which is/has been the case, and then try to alter the ritual, to get a thicker layer of kief.
When I do (rarely) use a 4 piece grinder... I get a total thick covering with great depth within 9-12months.
When's the last time you cleaned the screen?
You sure that the screen didn't clog up and stop letting kief through a long time ago?
There is that to consider also.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Thanks!!
NQr8Z5J.jpg
One other thought... do you grind upside down regularly?

Jill NYC,

matthend

Herb is always in mason jars with Boveda 62% packs, and I always grind kief catcher down. Hell, the layer of kief in there now will not move even if i do flip it over. My screen does look to have at least as much in it as the actual catcher, so that is the issue Io am sure. Is there a way to clean it without losing what is currently in there? thanks again for all the responses

Summer

Long Island, NY
Is there a way to clean it without losing what is currently in there? thanks again for all the responses

Maybe if you take a small, soft makeup or paintbrush & gently brush it across the screen the kief will fall through?

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer,
Reactions: Vitolo

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Herb is always in mason jars with Boveda 62% packs, and I always grind kief catcher down. Hell, the layer of kief in there now will not move even if i do flip it over. My screen does look to have at least as much in it as the actual catcher, so that is the issue Io am sure. Is there a way to clean it without losing what is currently in there? thanks again for all the responses
Use a stiff card, like a drivers license or a ski pass. Even a business card will do better than a brush. No disrespect to @Summer intended of course, but a soft make-up brush or artist’s paintbrush will tend to grab and hold on to the powdery stuff. After all, that’s what make-up type brushes are made for. Paintbrushes can be loaded with chalks and pastels in the same way.

I learned this about both types of brushes, concerning kief and residual herbage, the hard way. YMMV. :peace:

Vitolo

Vaporist
If you like using a brush, google "Flux Brush"
Usually made of Horse hair... and very stiff.
Bristles won't melt if used in an oven while it has not cooled down, and they do not grab or hold the kief like most brushes.
One example is at https://www.grainger.com/product/TOUGH-GUY-Flux-Brush-1VAH7
Magic flight used these as standard until a few years ago, and Herbalizer also came with a flux brush.

Skunkport

It's a toothbrush for cleaning out grinders.

There's actually a meme on reddit about cleaning grinders with a toothbrush when you're dankrupt and getting huge amounts of weed out of it.

Ramahs

Well, there ya go. I brush off my screen on both sides almost every time I empty a batch of ground herb from my grinder.

Ramahs,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
If you like using a brush, google "Flux Brush"
Usually made of Horse hair... and very stiff.
Bristles won't melt if used in an oven while it has not cooled down, and they do not grab or hold the kief like most brushes.
One example is at https://www.grainger.com/product/TOUGH-GUY-Flux-Brush-1VAH7
Magic flight used these as standard until a few years ago, and Herbalizer also came with a flux brush.

I agree 100% about using a flux brush but I trim the end of flux brush by about 70% or so with a pair of sharp scissors...It makes the brush stiffer so you can sweep the screen better and be able to get in the corners and move the kief around...

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
Please un-stick it and take a pic! I really, really, really (third one’s for emphasis) want to see what 10 yrs of kief looks like!!

oxidizes and loses quality over time. no one should be really filling the kief catcher unless they're just grinding huge amounts relatively quickly. put into small container either store out of the light or in light blocking container

Ramahs

oxidizes and loses quality over time. no one should be really filling the kief catcher unless they're just grinding huge amounts relatively quickly. put into small container either store out of the light or in light blocking container

This. I brush my kief-catchers out onto my little jar every week or so.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I hear ya! I wasn’t suggesting @Hackerman use it — I am just genuinely interested in seeing what 10+ years of kief accumulation looks like!!

Edited to make more sense

Jill NYC,
Reactions: Summer
LOL, I tried and tried to get the bottom off and I am going to need some kind of tool to get it open. You almost have me curious as well. Probably not really all that much in there. It has not been my history to use small grinders like that.

I really don't use hand grinders much at all. No can do with my wrist and hands. Not any more. :( When I was smoking joints, I used the salad shooter or whatever other electric kitchen appliance that would grind quarter ounces at a time.

Now that I am vaping more and smoking fewer joints I find the need to grind smaller amounts. I use the plastic grinder that came with the Plenty I bought but it's so small it's hard to use.

I also have my Aerospaced that I have had forever. It got used in the beginning but spent most of it's life in the 'drawer' since I didn't use it much. Brought it back out recently to see how it worked. Still can't grab the top. LOL

Now, I am looking for something that I can grip. The bottoms of most grinders are fine. They are large enough that I can get a grip. However the tops are always so tiny. Often a mere quarter inch or so. It's hard for me to grab that, twist it back and forth and pull it. Especially when they get a little gritty around the edges and start to stick.

Here are 3 possible purchases I am looking at. 2 of them claim to be Chromium Crushers. Is that a good brand? Are these likely copies?

I am really not even sure of the difference between a $5 and a $50 grinder (other than obviously pieces scraping off when you grind). Most of them look the same... cnc milled alum.

Anyway, anything terribly, horribly. deadly about any of these three?

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chromium-C...240294?hash=item2ef6bf7da6:g:OKsAAOSwGtNXiUIo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chromium-C...100049?hash=item2f15329791:g:hCkAAOSwecJaeM52

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fidget-Spi...152878&hash=item23a3a3867f:g:LAoAAOSw8mpbKsU6

Again, thank you. :)

Hackerman,
Reactions: Jill NYC
OK... that's one vote against the fidget. LMAO

That was probably my last choice. My first choice is the one with the scalloped edges.

Don't laugh but I have found that using 2 of those little rubber 'jar opener pads' works great with my grinders. LOL

Sad, but true.

s-l640.jpg

Ramahs

I had only a Chromium Crusher for a year, a few years back.
It got me by, don't get me wrong, but I was so very happy when I got something better.

Honestly, I used cheap janky grinders for many years, always saying that the higher-end grinders were ridiculous...and I'd never spend more than $20 on a grinder...then I invested in a couple decent grinders and realized how wrong I was.

I had only a Chromium Crusher for a year, a few years back.
It got me by, don't get me wrong, but I was so very happy when I got something better.

Honestly, I used cheap janky grinders for many years, always saying that the higher-end grinders were ridiculous...and I'd never spend more than $20 on a grinder...then I invested in a couple decent grinders and realized how wrong I was.

What was the difference?

Hackerman,
Top Bottom