Herb Grinders

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
While we are on the subject of ISO and cleaning...does anyone have a certifiable, 100% successful method for cleaning literally everything out of the grooves? It feels like the newest types of Space Case have incredibly hard to clean grooves. I can get it spotless in every other way, so this is annoying af!

I pre-soak in warm water, go at it with the toothbrush, wooden toothpicks (almost useless as the tip will flatten out under any pressure), do the same with ISO but also use Q-tips with the ISO for those grooves, and still there will be a dried up hardened resin right at the thinnest point. Is groove the right term? I'm baked. Basically all of the screw on parts. It drives me mental that I can't get at them, and I refuse to use a pin or anything hard and sharp that will scrape the coating off (even in those grooves, I don't want to damage anything...OCD!!).

Maybe something plastic, hard, and super thin might do it, but we're talking way thinner than a credit card. A pin/needle is the only thing I can think of, but I just won't go there. Anyone solved this conundrum? Would a 24 hour soak in ISO do more cleaning than a quick soak like I currently do?

Last edited:
gonzorelli777,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
While we are on the subject of ISO and cleaning...does anyone have a certifiable, 100% successful method for cleaning literally everything out of the grooves in the newest types of Space Case? I can get it spotless in every way bar all of the grooves.

I pre-soak in warm water, go at it with the toothbrush, wooden toothpicks, do the same with ISO but also use Q-tips with the ISO for those grooves, and still there will be a dried up hardened resin right at the thinnest point of the grooves. Is groove the right term? I'm baked. Basically all of the screw on parts. It drives me mental that I can't get at them, and I refuse to use a pin or anything hard and sharp that will scrape the coating off (even in those grooves, I want to not damage anything...OCD!!).

Maybe something plastic, hard, and super thin might do it, but we're talking way thinner than a credit card. A pin is the only thing I can think of, but I just won't go there. Anyone solved this conundrum?
I've never really solved it and I typically use all the methods you do. What I do is get a q-tip with ISO and I will push it hard into the threads and then drag it around and around. This tends to get the deepest into the thread and down to the root.

I've had a small Ti 4 pc for years and the coating is starting to wear on the threads, but the good thing is that anything that has worn off will have fallen OUT of the grinder.

I wouldn't get too obsessive about cleaning the root of the threads on your grinder. Look at the ground herb or close it back up.

screw3.gif

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
I do the exact same thing with the Q-tip. Press it in and drag til it is mangled. Still doesn't get at the root. I guess I will learn to live with it. Thanks for the diagram too man, I had no idea there was so much to a simple thread. And yes, thread is the word I was looking for haha. Wake n bake Saturdays...

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Thanks for the diagram too man, I had no idea there was so much to a simple thread. And yes, thread is the word I was looking for haha. Wake n bake Saturdays...
I didn't realize there was so much to threads either until I worked as a junior manager at a high end CNC machine shop making drill strings. The threads are actually quite complex where the drill pipes connect together.

I just ran a pin gently through the roots of my threads, you would be surprised how hard the anodizing is on Space Case. Even after doing that the stuff at the bottom of root is still stuck there. So you can probably safely avoid doing that knowing it won't get you further than the Q-tip.

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
Thanks for braving the pin for the good of all mankind! Yeah I will just learn to live with it. Thinking of doing a longer ISO soak after cleaning as much as I can with Qtip and brushing. If that fails, it isn't meant to be.

lazylathe

Almost there...
While we are on the subject of ISO and cleaning...does anyone have a certifiable, 100% successful method for cleaning literally everything out of the grooves? It feels like the newest types of Space Case have incredibly hard to clean grooves. I can get it spotless in every other way, so this is annoying af!

I pre-soak in warm water, go at it with the toothbrush, wooden toothpicks (almost useless as the tip will flatten out under any pressure), do the same with ISO but also use Q-tips with the ISO for those grooves, and still there will be a dried up hardened resin right at the thinnest point. Is groove the right term? I'm baked. Basically all of the screw on parts. It drives me mental that I can't get at them, and I refuse to use a pin or anything hard and sharp that will scrape the coating off (even in those grooves, I don't want to damage anything...OCD!!).

Maybe something plastic, hard, and super thin might do it, but we're talking way thinner than a credit card. A pin/needle is the only thing I can think of, but I just won't go there. Anyone solved this conundrum? Would a 24 hour soak in ISO do more cleaning than a quick soak like I currently do?

I just finished cleaning my grinder and tried something new!
I ISO soaked for a while and then used an old electric toothbrush with some toothpaste and ran it all over the grinder. Cleaned the threads out like new! Grinder is shiny and super clean again!
Quick and easy!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I just finished cleaning my grinder and tried something new!
I ISO soaked for a while and then used an old electric toothbrush with some toothpaste and ran it all over the grinder. Cleaned the threads out like new! Grinder is shiny and super clean again!
Quick and easy!

Haha, awesome thinking!

I was also going to suggest maybe an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
The one I saw for 35 bucks is a 750ml. I don't really own anything other than my two SCs and maybe my stainless steel watch strap that could benefit from ultrasonic cleaning. My bong days are long gone...If I hit a bowl 1/4 the size of that of my prime, I will cough for half an hour :D

gonzorelli777,
Reactions: lazylathe

LesPlenty

Company Rep
My bong days are long gone

Cool, funny thing is I have smoked joints and spliffs for 30 odd years and used to hate bongs, as soon as the smoke hit my lungs I would cough up said lung. Now with vaporizers it is just the opposite.

Sorry for being off track, one thing to note when ultrasonic cleaning the nylon rings will expand with the heat and take quite a while to shrink back to normal, I thought I had wrecked the one in my Space Case, but once cool it was slippery again. if not a bit worn from so much use.

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
Cool, funny thing is I have smoked joints and spliffs for 30 odd years and used to hate bongs, as soon as the smoke hit my lungs I would cough up said lung. Now with vaporizers it is just the opposite.

Sorry for being off track, one thing to note when ultrasonic cleaning the nylon rings will expand with the heat and take quite a while to shrink back to normal, I thought I had wrecked the one in my Space Case, but once cool it was slippery again. if not a bit worn from so much use.

I'm going to be (at long last) getting my first vape in the next few weeks...Going to go for the Firefly 2 after a friend took the plunge a month or so ago. It tastes amazing, and I enjoyed the different technique to just smoking a joint, which I've been at for 20 years now and it's time to give the lungs a break from all the carcinogens and other shit.

Almost forgot to say, I tried out the electric toothbrush and some toothpaste just now...Ermahgerd it cleaned my medium 4 pc wayyy beyond my expectations! It's absolutely spotless right down to the root of the thread. I am truly amazed!! Thanks for the amazing idea Lazy!

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
That will work as well! I know @Stu uses an ultrasonic cleaner but cannot remember his thoughts on it.
I do have an ultrasonic cleaner but had not tried using it with my grinders (for no reason in particular).

So I gave it a go with the top two parts of my Mendo Mulcher 4-piece. I wish I had taken a "before" picture but alas I didn't. I can assure you that it was quite grimy and hadn't been cleaned in probably close to a year.
6Pd5zRu.jpg

Then I did the middle section:

He6zapY.jpg

It looks brand new now and no scrubbing/poking/brushing was required.

Since I had it out I decided to clean my favorite GonG stem.

Before:
Z7zzIJN.jpg

After:
KM01XFp.jpg

I highly recommend these cleaners as they seem to work magic.:nod:

:peace:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I do have an ultrasonic cleaner but had not tried using it with my grinders (for no reason in particular).

So I gave it a go with the top two parts of my Mendo Mulcher 4-piece. I wish I had taken a "before" picture but alas I didn't. I can assure you that it was quite grimy and hadn't been cleaned in probably close to a year.
6Pd5zRu.jpg

Then I did the middle section:

He6zapY.jpg

It looks brand new now and no scrubbing/poking/brushing was required.

Since I had it out I decided to clean my favorite GonG stem.

Before:
Z7zzIJN.jpg

After:
KM01XFp.jpg

I highly recommend these cleaners as they seem to work magic.:nod:

:peace:

Shiny!

Thanks for testing and sharing with us bud. :tup:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member

LesPlenty

Company Rep

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

lazylathe

Almost there...
I pm'd vapeworld today to let them know that when I go to their website, Kaspersky Total Security advises me of:

malicious webpage
//checkip/biz/a.js
download blocked
HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic

I had that come up a few months ago and alerted them via Pm, no reply or response from them...
No money from me if my security is not protected!

Top Bottom