1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Herb Grinders

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by vtac, Mar 20, 2008.

1. dannydroid

dannydroid Google Nazi

I'll give it ago.

SLX2.0 or SWII would be my choice.

(I own the SLX2.0)

SLX2.0:
    + looks like a 3-peice, is a 4-peice (I like that compact look)
    + non stick is pretty good tbh. You can push most plant matter of with your hand, to give you some idea.
    + one of the best kief screens I've seen
    + short thread
    + I think, a good price
    - the grinder does rattle down to the 4-in-3 style
    - seem to be having some QC issue judging by the last few comments in this thread (mine seems okay)
    - don't know the warranty / customer service is like (not used it or seen other talk about it) / no real social media presents

SWII:
    + active here. Seems like they do anything to keep their customers happy
    + lifetime warranty
    + removable screens / different mesh types
    + curved keif chamber sides
    + short thread
    + nug cutout
    + looks like the herb chamber (where the ground herb goes) is pretty large
    + I think, a good price
    - I don't have one :(

I think the grind between the two may be different (I'm assuming by the different style in teeth and the different style and size of the hole).

CuckFumbustion likes this.
  2. Ramahs

Ramahs Fucking Combustion Since 2/7/2017

Yes, you are right that the sound is not so bad when it's grinding. Although, as far as the rattling is concerned...I'm not sure why they didn't add an o-ring underneath the outside lip of the screen tray. That way it would just press into place and stay till it was removed.

And no, the difference in wall-thickness I was complaining about does not cause the thicker parts to rub together. Like I said, it's completely aesthetic. The grinder still functions as good as it was intended to, which is why I'm still satisfied with it. It's 100% functional.

It's just, for a $50 grinder, I was expecting more in engineering aesthetic details than what I received. I'm still happy with it's actual function...and I'll take function over aesthetic details as far as what I value more.

CuckFumbustion and JCharles like this.
  3. EverythingsHazy

EverythingsHazy Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the bud ground by hand or with an electric coffee grinder, but I have definitely noticed that a consistency somewhere between powder and sand, works best in convection vapes. The only downside, is that if you use a dry stem with no filter, you can inhale some bits through the screen.

Summer and CuckFumbustion like this.
  4. CuckFumbustion

CuckFumbustion Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.

I checked out the SWII a little. Already like that they leave a little open space in the teeth area to drop a nug. That might help me with the squishing problem. Will check out more about this and any other rec'd. TX.

GreenHopper and dannydroid like this.
  5. JCharles

JCharles FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017

It will solve the squishing problem!

Seriously, I've dropped some obnoxious sized buds in the opening with no issues.

The best grinder I have ever owned!!

6. CuckFumbustion

A single FC rec'd!
    Would you say it is non-stick or average? The grind?

Having things gum up is what shortened the SCS's lifespan. I almost went for a larger SCS. Would a larger grinder prevent this?

Puffitup carries all 3. :tup:But still open to suggestions.

7. JCharles

JCharles FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017

I have only come across 1 strain so far that was a bit too sticky for the SWII. It had over 3% terpene content at 20% THC and resinous af. It wasn't a problem for the grind, but I had a few resin smears around the teeth.

It doesn't gum up the same as other grinders I've used. Even with lots of use mine hasn't needed a deep clean yet.

My matte black is a little more gummy than the pink but again, I think that has more.to do with the bud.

The grind is medium coarse depending on the moaiyure content of your bud. I keep mine at 62% (boveda packs) and it's nice a fluffy but chunky. I have a few strains that come out with a slightly finer grind but that has more to do with the bud.

I give a brush after grinding to keep things looking clean.

8. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

I have had exactly the same experience as @JCharles with my gold SWII.

I love it, the short threading impresses me every time. I grind small buds daily so I'm constantly opening the herb chamber. My last grinder was a metal 4 piece no name. Opening it up each time became laborious.

Mine like @JCharles has some resin smears but its stayed mostly clean. No caked in resin at the edges impeding function. I brush it clean mostly every two to three days but that's mostly to keep the screen clear. I have harvested some keif but I find the screen doesn't let much through. Which I actually like, I want the majority of my keif on the material I'm vaping.

One negative with the teeth gap is you torque the grinder quite a bit when first breaking that bud up and you can easily tighten all the threads up so opening up the herb chamber can require a fair bit of torque to loosen.

I really love this grinder, more than happy to recommend it.

9. CuckFumbustion

Thanks for the input. What grind would you say it is?

Both of you mention brushing after grinding as a good habit to get into.

I also do the upside down regrind trick. The extra drop down space might be a plus?

Considering it more. Waiting for input from Puffitup.
    And thanks @dannydroid for pointing me in a direction.

10. GreenHopper

My pleasure bud,

I'd say its medium coarse, somewhat fluffy but probably less so than the SCS from what I have read. It's certainly not a fine grinder.

I don't know how necessary this is, in my case I'm mostly just trying to make sure any loose trichomes get knocked off into the keif catch as you don't collect a huge amount. But you don't get any plant matter through either so its well sifted keif.

I've never done this, I suspect it may possibly result in more frequent cleaning being required.

I find the grind perfect for my vapcap use.

11. dannydroid

dannydroid Google Nazi

No worries CuckFumbustion ^^

Speaking of brushes, is there anything recommended (kinda worried about some of the bristles breaking off)? Specially for the SLX2.0? (don't want to scratch the coating. I was thinking about the S&B brushes but they seem a little thick to get in all the little hard to get places.

CuckFumbustion likes this.
  12. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

What is the upside-down regrind trick?

JCharles and CuckFumbustion like this.
  13. dannydroid

dannydroid Google Nazi

I believe its the trick that allows you to get a more fine grind (as instead of falling through to the herb chamber, it carries on being ground up in the lid).

14. GreenHopper

Turning the grinder upsidedown when grinding so the herb doesn't drop into the collection chamber but remains amongst the teeth. Results in a finer grind but can also allow more resin/trich buildup around the teeth and edges.

15. CuckFumbustion

Perhaps I meant pepper mill? I grind normal first in the chamber. Then I tip it upside down and regrind.

How your method is different, it's more like using a 4pc as a 2pc. In a sense. Which is another trick. :)

But yea, maybe introducing the materials to teeth twice could be a build up issue to watch for.

Summer and GreenHopper like this.
  16. GreenHopper

Oh right, so the material is passing through the holes three times. Once on the first grind. Then again when you turn it upside down and finally when you turn the grinder back over to get the material back into the collection chamber.

To be honest I feel like that's going to knock off too many trichs for me.

I think this is a great medium coarse grinder but if you want a fine grind or the option between medium and fine then the kannastore may be a better bet for you. :shrug:

Hogni, CuckFumbustion and Summer like this.
  17. CuckFumbustion

You could tip it back into the collection or tamp it on say a coffee filter.

My SCS grind is satisfactory. If either choice offer the same, and my issues are taken care of. I do have to be less of a brute too. Not slam it on the flat of the table to release the finer bits. etc

Will treat my new grinder differently and won't rely on the upside down trick with my current vapes. Conduction likes a finer grind, etc. I do need to be gentler and don't want the gumming issues that I have with fresh in a fully cleaned SCS. Which has become more of a thing.

i can get a finishing grinder if there was a real need.

GreenHopper likes this.
  18. Whissmu

Whissmu Well-Known Member

I was asked for a comparison of the milling of the S & B vs Kannastor:

of the left to right S & B / grinding coarse / grinding fine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Winegums

Winegums I make things from wood Accessory Maker

A huge thank you to @InterplanetaryTanner for sending me a coarse plate that fits my* Kannastor GR8TR .

My Kanastor GR8TR Vape has been a really solid vaping tool for me but has always had a bit too fine of a grind for my liking. The fine grinding plate also has a seldom but very annoying habit of rolling high quality bud into tiny balls rather than producing a fluffy grind. It might be hard to see but the ground material on the top is rolled into pellets, the bottom material is fluffy with trichomes still visible.

I'm so happy this problem is something of the past for me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 2:36 PM
  20. InterplanetaryTanner

InterplanetaryTanner Interplanetary Development Accessory Maker

Those totally are not kannastor. They just happens to be similar. :cool:

21. KidFated.

KidFated. We Don't Even Live Here..

22. Winegums

Well, that would explain the packaging... It happens to fit my GR8TR perfectly, the grind is much improved. I’m a happy man. IDK what the people at Kannastor are thinking but they are seriously letting down a great product.

23. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

They have been out of stock of their GR8TR line for a bit now...guessing it's v2 time soon?

24. Winegums

I’ll be interested to see what the new version looks like and what they decided to change. Interrupted threads would be so nice.

CuckFumbustion and biohacker like this.
  25. gonzorelli777

gonzorelli777 Vape virgin

Hey man, I generally use these little brushes on my SC. I brush pretty frequently but it's more to gather the trichs than for gumming reasons. SC is pretty easy to clean and takes a long time to gum with these brushes going on regularly.

[​IMG]

Seems they are made from hog hair, but they are soft to the touch if you are concerned about that. As for bristles, I rarely see one fall off these particular brushes. When it does, it's easily visible vs the blue grinder and screen, and I just sweep the little fecker out of there.

Any similar brushes to these should be perfect, if they are softish. Happy hunting!

Mr. Whitewall and CuckFumbustion like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors