Herb Grinders

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Perhaps I meant pepper mill? I grind normal first in the chamber. Then I tip it upside down and regrind.

How your method is different, it's more like using a 4pc as a 2pc. In a sense. Which is another trick. :)

But yea, maybe introducing the materials to teeth twice could be a build up issue to watch for.

Oh right, so the material is passing through the holes three times. Once on the first grind. Then again when you turn it upside down and finally when you turn the grinder back over to get the material back into the collection chamber.

To be honest I feel like that's going to knock off too many trichs for me.

I think this is a great medium coarse grinder but if you want a fine grind or the option between medium and fine then the kannastore may be a better bet for you. :shrug:

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Then again when you turn it upside down and finally when you turn the grinder back over to get the material back into the collection chamber.
You could tip it back into the collection or tamp it on say a coffee filter.

My SCS grind is satisfactory. If either choice offer the same, and my issues are taken care of. I do have to be less of a brute too. Not slam it on the flat of the table to release the finer bits. etc

Will treat my new grinder differently and won't rely on the upside down trick with my current vapes. Conduction likes a finer grind, etc. I do need to be gentler and don't want the gumming issues that I have with fresh in a fully cleaned SCS. Which has become more of a thing.

i can get a finishing grinder if there was a real need.

Whissmu

I was asked for a comparison of the milling of the S & B vs Kannastor:

of the left to right S & B / grinding coarse / grinding fine
image.jpg

image.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
A huge thank you to @InterplanetaryTanner for sending me a coarse plate that fits my* Kannastor GR8TR .

My Kanastor GR8TR Vape has been a really solid vaping tool for me but has always had a bit too fine of a grind for my liking. The fine grinding plate also has a seldom but very annoying habit of rolling high quality bud into tiny balls rather than producing a fluffy grind. It might be hard to see but the ground material on the top is rolled into pellets, the bottom material is fluffy with trichomes still visible.

I'm so happy this problem is something of the past for me.
dEPtxE0.jpg

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Those totally are not kannastor. They just happens to be similar. :cool:
Well, that would explain the packaging... It happens to fit my GR8TR perfectly, the grind is much improved. I’m a happy man. IDK what the people at Kannastor are thinking but they are seriously letting down a great product.

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
No worries CuckFumbustion ^^

Speaking of brushes, is there anything recommended (kinda worried about some of the bristles breaking off)? Specially for the SLX2.0? (don't want to scratch the coating. I was thinking about the S&B brushes but they seem a little thick to get in all the little hard to get places.
Hey man, I generally use these little brushes on my SC. I brush pretty frequently but it's more to gather the trichs than for gumming reasons. SC is pretty easy to clean and takes a long time to gum with these brushes going on regularly.

CQfzdO6.jpg

Seems they are made from hog hair, but they are soft to the touch if you are concerned about that. As for bristles, I rarely see one fall off these particular brushes. When it does, it's easily visible vs the blue grinder and screen, and I just sweep the little fecker out of there.

Any similar brushes to these should be perfect, if they are softish. Happy hunting!

CuckFumbustion

Well I compared the SW2 and the SLX2 and the Gr8ter and went with a green Large SLX 2.0. Got it from Randy at Puffitup. Since he had all 3 to choose from.

Only tried the SLX2 once and I already like it a lot. Use a brush to push all the particles from the top and sides into the tray area. Fluffier than my medium SCS. The screen is finer which isn't a huge negative, if it keeps everything contained.

CuckFumbustion

Thought the grinder thread would be a little more hopping. Anywho....

Had the Large SLX 2 for less than a week. This might be premature of an assumption. I'm shooting from the hip early. Anyway...

It is everything I like in a grinder. :tup: More of a puller than a grinder. Teeth are smaller and more snagproof as well as smoother edges due to the coating. The amount of holes allow for the materials to drop down easier. The wiggle of the tray throws me a little. But otherwise feels solid. If I don't experience any negatives early on , I can give it a solid rec'd, if you are kind to the teeth early on. Realizing how the edges of the SCS teeth might get gummed as soon as close the lid. The SLX2 has a different feel when closing the lid. Also why I passed on the SWII as much as I like the versatility and design choices. So nice to have choices. :D

One more broad assumption.
I would buy a large version of ANY grinder unless you have specific needs for a small. Even if you are a 2pc user. I use an EVO and Vapcaps mostly. Is there a need for a finishing grinder? Or would I be wasting money?

And even one more broad assumption.
Conduction vapes like finer grinds. Better conduction and hybrid vapes are being built. So that is a consideration.
:peace:

dynospec

Got a Hammercraft 2.25" grinder a few days ago as a cheap solution until I get either a SWII or a Lift Innovations grinder, I really want them both. I will likely get the Lift Innovations grinder first simply because Im Canadian, and they are aswell so there's no exchange rate to take into account, and the shipping will be free. SWII is absolutely a grinder I want to try aswell, and they are very fairly priced I think.

Anyways, the Hammercraft 2.25" I got is pretty sweet actually - alot better than I expected it to be. I decided to get the Rasta coloured one since the silver just seemed so plain. It is so much better than the grinder I had been using before, theres no comparison at all.

Previously I had a no-name grinder that I got for 10$ on Group-on, and it served its purpose for quite a while but then the silver started to rub off revealing a bronze coloured metal underneath. This was no good since metal was obviously coming off, and it had to go somewhere I didnt notice the colour fade for a long time since it was slow and gradual, and then I started to experience bad tastes when vaping and I think it was from metal being in the bud.
I had the grinder in better light than I usually use it in and realized what was happening and stopped using it immediately, and was using spring loaded scissors I used to trim with for a few weeks. The bad tastes went away as soon as I stopped using the cheap low quality grinder, and using the scissors so that is good at least.
The scissors were effective, although it took much longer obviously and left me unsatisfied often when I was cutting up dense nugs (which is often).

Its a lesson for sure, Ive learned to be more careful with the things that are getting into contact with my bud ever since I started vaporizing which is nice I certainly feel healthier.

BTW the Hammercraft 2.25" that I got gives a nice medium coarse fluffy grind which I find to be perfect, and it helps keeping particulate matter out of screens.

analytika

Any recommended grinders for very small quantities suited to microdoses? To be used in a stem style vape, i.e. requiring some stickiness.

analytika,

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
A grinder used in a stem style vape? What do you mean??
Microdosing is more a question of amount of material than the kind of grinder.
If you want a smaller grinder go for the slx 2.0.
Coarse? Medium-coarse? Fine?

Hogni,
Reactions: Summer

Mulchmaker

Veni Vidi Vapi
I think @analytika means the herb will be going into a stem rather than a bowl, so it needs to be able to stay in place while inverted. If that's the case, I'd recommend a medium grind. Luckily, there are a ton of grinders that fall in that category. If price isn't a huge concern, go with a Santa Cruz (3 or 4 piece--I prefer 3). No matter which grinder brand, though, always buy direct from the manufacturer or an authorized retailer. Counterfeit grinders are legion, and many of the fakes are pure crap.

analytika

I think @analytika means the herb will be going into a stem rather than a bowl, so it needs to be able to stay in place while inverted. If that's the case, I'd recommend a medium grind. Luckily, there are a ton of grinders that fall in that category. If price isn't a huge concern, go with a Santa Cruz (3 or 4 piece--I prefer 3). No matter which grinder brand, though, always buy direct from the manufacturer or an authorized retailer. Counterfeit grinders are legion, and many of the fakes are pure crap.
I was hoping there is a small device on the market, say dynavap size and shape, with a cylindrical chamber that you load up with individual nugs or smaller and then twist to grind and extrude: fresh, small amounts. Yeah it's a different concept than the typical drum grinder. Sick of pregrinding a week's worth of microdoses.

Yeah I was talking about stem like the milaana, sticky enough to hold fast inverted.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Got my jyarz grinder today.

Here's a comparison shot of the grind to a coarse plate Kannastor GR8TR:
r8Kvsr8.jpg

Size wise, it is a bit tall, but not bad. It seals very very well. I will see how it holds up over the next few weeks. I think this will now be my main grinder. Btw, it's exactly the same size height as a classic.
Ghc1X1I.jpg

Top Bottom