Herb Grinders

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Not here in the EU.
We have cheapo garbage and high end only.
All those cool things like cali crusher, mulcher, weapon2 have to imported.
that means 19% on top plus expensive shipping.

And IF I was to invest in a grinder it has to last me for a minimum of 5 years.
interchangeable screens are a must and grinding plates are a plus.
The gr8tr in the solid version looks nice, a bit big though.

I wont starve, no need to worry.

It is a steep investment.
never ever have I invested this much in a vaping tool.

Can anyone hook me up with a picture of a gr8tr next to a s&B grinder ?
I really wouldn’t worry about the size unless you plan to put it in your pocket. If that’s the case then you can pre-grind and turn the bottom into a storage puck. Or you can down size the grinder by removing the screen section, making it a three piece. It’s smaller than you think. Only 2 1/8” in diameter.

Durability shouldn’t be a concern, you can’t break the very short teeth or contact them together with a GR8TR. The only thing I can imagine wearing out is the threads. But that’s going to take a very long time to do.

Cleaning is the most minimal of all the grinders I’ve used and seen. I’ve only needed to clean my GR8TR once a year or after about 12 ounces of good quality herb.

I hope this helps with your decision. I honestly feel it’s a worth while investment for you. You might even see an increase in performance from your vapes. It’s surprising what difference the grind makes. I certainly noticed an improvement from the space case I was using before.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@Mr.Sifter
Just like you, I had never (in 30+ years) spent so much on a grinder. Each grinder was incrementally better but always under £20. But when I made the no-smoke life-change at the age of 50, I decided everything would be new, nice and upgraded. To celebrate the decision, to splurge a bit on myself but also so my tools would reflect my new commitment to my health. No more plastic items in the weed-chain, no questionable metals of unknown origin. Only quality. And I had spent months lurking & learning here at FC.

I have the GR8TR solid bigboy w/both plates and a puck; got them 30% off direct from Kannastor on Fathers Day. I managed to find discounts on some nice boutique-type items that I would NEVER pay full price for. Like a Marley Natural tray for US$35 that everyone else had for 65. I actually like it & like using it more than I thought I would. Using a quality grinder, whatever brand you decide will bring you pleasure in itself, ime. I think, and this is only me, but enjoying the preparation helps me bring the right mindset to get even more out of partaking. If that doesn't sound too "hippie"!

So I wound up with a new set of tools that are pleasing to use and will last well beyond 5 years with basic maintenance. I spent some cash for sure to get my vape on properly but I didn't pay full-price, not even close. I hear you on the extra shipping/customs increasing total cost but you can find most items on a Euro-site. There's vaporisateur.net for example, a French vape shop w/Kannastors. My only point is this: Treat yourself! You deserve it. Find a deal you're good with and don't look back. You'll enjoy it for years.

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
Others can chime in if they disagree but I wouldn't worry too much about wear and tear. I've had a lot of 4-pc grinders and have never done any damage to a screen. Some people put coins in their grinders to knock off more kief and I guess that could lead to issues? Doesn't seem like a major concern under normal use though.

The SWII comes with a keif coin. Tanner thought of everything.

From what I've seen, those who use them end up with more leaf/plant matter in their keif storage but maybe they are doing something wrong?

Mr.Sifter

Nice words to hear from you guys.
I hear you speaking for a haptic ritual that feels good and the elimination of potential harmfull(er) substances in the vape chain.

Do you think that s&b gives a garbage grinder as a giveby with their premium quality prices devices?
I think not.

A nice aluminium can that is the gr8tr can be nice.
A new ritual.
Many people seem to like the huge herb chamber.
I actually like the flat top with clear top on the s&b.
O.3 ground herb and i am good to go for some time.

Will have to make up my mind

Mr.Sifter,
Reactions: Winegums

snackmaster

The SWII comes with a keif coin. Tanner thought of everything.

The SWII coin is plastic, right? Damage-wise, I meant money coins - I've seen people put US nickels in their grinders and that's a coin with some heft.

From what I've seen, those who use them end up with more leaf/plant matter in their keif storage but maybe they are doing something wrong?

I think this is right and I don't think it's avoidable - you get more kief, but also more of everything else too.

snackmaster,

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
No sir, not dissing S&B at all. But you've said you've gone through a few? So at some point, you will have spent quite a lot on the same plastic grinder. Like you've discovered you can't get the trichs off the plastic, it's like they bond, lol! But with good metal/finish, you can get those trichs every time you grind. I brush it out after use and maybe 3-6 months give it a bath in hot, soapy water. Done. As long as the trichs don't accumulate, you'll never have a gummy grinder. And I guarantee when all that good stuff is going in your vape instead of your grinder, you will most definitely be a happier man.

As @biohacker and others have done, I've removed one section to get the set-up I like best. But it took me some time to figure what I liked, lol! If that's the way you go, you'll experiment and find what you like best. But there are other fine options to choose from and I do not want you to feel that I'm pumping Kannastor. I like the grinder and its performance but strangely feel no special love for Kannastor. I've got a tiny Space Case (freebie) for travel and lots of members love SC and Santa Cruz Shredder gets lots of love here. I've also had more than one person in the "vape" business tell me that of all they've tried & sold, their go-to is the 1.5" Mini Mulcher from Mendo Mulchers. @JCharles and still others LOVE the Special Weapons and I like InterplanetaryTanner a lot. A solid honest dude who's also an enthusiast, my favourite type of business! I gotta crash and don't have any other clear thoughts anyway. Just wanted to encourage you.

Mr.Sifter

ah, the tanner guy.
wiiiiiilllliiiiiieeeeee

(alf, anyone?)

will research the mendo mulchers.
they scream quality

edit: same story
shipping alone is 32$ plus taxes.
yes, we pay taxes for the shipping too.
grrr

I like the simplicity

Last edited:
Mr.Sifter,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
With a statement like that, I just can't fathom why anyone would want a grinder period, aside from those with specific needs.

Kannastor Gr8tr.

Maybe I was a bit over-reactive with that statement.
I will admit that all the recent good reviews of the Chewy 2.0 have piqued my interest.

biohacker

I will admit that all the recent good reviews of the Chewy 2.0 have piqued my interest.

Chewy 2 didn't work out for me long term, but i'm so thinking about pulling the trigger on this Atman Mini Hummer! It has a built in rechargeable battery and functions more like a hand grinder and looks like it produces a finer even grind.

I don't have any medical problems, but using regular twist hand grinders really causes my wrists/forearms to have issues....that twisting motion is not a natural motion, especially as many times as I would use it in a day!

I still prefer driving my WRX manual transmission, but I respect and appreciate that some will prefer that easier not having to think about automatic tranny.

ANYTHING over a coffee grinder! Yikes.

Ramahs

It's been over a decade since I had any kind of electric grinder. They always broke on me way too soon, or were a PITA to keep clean. Plus, the loss in tactile feedback as I'm grinding always made it harder for me to get my grind to the same consistency I like every time.

biohacker

can you to explain or give details of why the failure with his chewy 2 ??

I'm intrigued by this automatic grinder and I wanted to know what problems it brings with time :hmm:

I can't tell you the problems it will have with time because I didn't use mine for very long. I just felt much less stress and better results with my crank grinder. It just wasn't for me, but it might be great for you.... just like so many vapes that have passed through my hands. It's a super cool little gadget, but just like some premature vapes, I feel like it has some maturing to do. :2c:

biohacker,
Reactions: Hogni

Whissmu

Chewy 2 didn't work out for me long term, but i'm so thinking about pulling the trigger on this Atman Mini Hummer! It has a built in rechargeable battery and functions more like a hand grinder and looks like it produces a finer even grind.

I don't have any medical problems, but using regular twist hand grinders really causes my wrists/forearms to have issues....that twisting motion is not a natural motion, especially as many times as I would use it in a day!

I still prefer driving my WRX manual transmission, but I respect and appreciate that some will prefer that easier not having to think about automatic tranny.

ANYTHING over a coffee grinder! Yikes.

thanks for your reply :tup: I'm really grateful to you :rockon:

Can anyone hook me up with a picture of a gr8tr next to a s&B grinder ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ramahs

Well...I noticed that everyonedoesit.com currently has the SLX grinders (amongst others, including Space Case, Kannastore, and Cali Crushers) on sale for 50% off right now, so I picked up the green one I wanted for less than $34 after shipping.

After reading through posts in this thread starting sometime back in 2016, I'd narrowed my finalists to the SLX 2.0 and the SWII. I ended up going with the SLX, but I still will be keeping my eye on ID's grinders, as they will be next in line if I get a strong enough GrAS itch in the near future...or if the SLX does not live up to my expectations.

To all who've posted in this thread, thanks for all the info! It was extremely helpful in figuring out the current state of popular grinders, and narrowing down what I wanted to purchase :-)

Getting fidgety here. My first real quality grinder purchase. The tracking said from the beginning that it was expected Saturday, the 3rd. I got a tracking update around noon on Saturday (yesterday) saying that the delivery was on it's way to to the destination...then an hour later got an update that it had arrived at a hub in a major city a couple hundred miles from me. lol.

This afternoon (Sunday), the tracking got an update that the item had been delayed, but it had left the hub and is headed toward me.

Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow then, but I was so looking forward to my shiny new green SLX this weekend. Good things come to those who wait (at least that's what my mother used to tell me to shut me up when I was a kid, lol), hopefully :-/

Ramahs,
Reactions: AtomicPB

Ramahs

So...I received my shiny new SLX grinder today.

There were two pick/scrapers inside the bottom section (see image). The one on the right is of course the same little pollen catcher scraper that comes with most grinders, but the one on the left, with the odd shape...does anyone know if that's just a logo thing with no intended usage, or if it actually has an intended function?

It's flat on the sides, so that leads me to doubt that it is intended to scoop anything out (it would smash a layer down if you scraped with it). But it's weird bumpy edge would lead me to assume that it must have an intended purpose. Does anyone have any idea?

noOKoeF.jpg

*edit*:
Also...after cleaning before I first use it and taking a closer look at how the grinder's function feels, I realized that this thing is not as well machined as many reviews seem to say. For example, the grinding chamber is not centered in the body of the grinder. See the pics below. It's not easy to see in the pics as it is with one's own eyes, but the wall is significantly thicker on one side than the other, so when twisting in the grinding motion, there is a noticeable side to side wobble between the top plate and the center of the body because of the off-centeredness of the main grinding area.

Also, the little plastic "gasket" that goes around the edge of where the grinding plates meet on the outsidesticks out a bit on one side more than the other, which my fingers can't help but feel the edge of. So that makes things feel not-well engineered together as well.

Also, there is are spots with a little pointy "grain" (like a tiny granule that was trapped under the ceramic coating), that my fingernails keep wanting to scratch at every time my fingertips brush across them. I worry that this could lead to coating chipping in those areas if I can't leave it alone.

It really bugs me to feel the top section not lining up when I turn it. The $9 zinc crappy amazon grinder I've been using for a year was better "centered" between the top and middle plates than this thing is.Now I'm starting to wish I'd have gotten a SWII :-(

**edit again**:
well shit...the images don't show up when I try to insert them, or insert a link to them. Try copy/pasting these addresses:

https://imgur.com/a/vLJBg

https://imgur.com/a/Fexqs

***edit 3***:
I'm really hoping that this gives an amazing grind, because first impressions after unboxing and looking at it are leading to a bit of a let-down, buyer's-remorse, kind of feeling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom