1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Herb Grinders

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by vtac, Mar 20, 2008.

1. steama

steama slightly stoopid

so true...^^^

Grinding is destructive to everything that makes herb excellent -- shocking how fast the flavor leaves once you grind your herb.

:myday:

biohacker likes this.
  2. babaganush

babaganush Well-Known Member

How fast does it gum up and how does that affect the grind experience? I mean it doesnt seem that difficult to take out and put in iso every once in a while to me.

I actually thought you were being ironic at first until I saw Biohacker's comment. Does this not take a long time to do? I mean it seems doable, but I would imagine it take a very long time if you want to go through a big session.

Hmm, I never thought about grinding ruining flavor. Why do you think that is?

3. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

..........................................................................................................
    I'll race ya ;)
    It actually is much quicker than grinding unless you are doing a really big session. Open JyARZ where bud sits in alum foil partial jacket, gently remove, twist & drop calyx into chamber, twist and drop, twist and drop etc. Tiny for micro loads or bigger twist-offs for big loads.
    VS get out the grinder, place buds in it, twist and shout, empty into container, move from container into chamber, etc.

And @babaganush --
    Grinding ruining flavor may be a wee bit of a stretch ;) BUT:
    ... what's going to leave those delicate trichs and goodies intact better, a gentle twist and tiny whole structure goes into chamber OR perform a thousand separate chops/cuts/shreds to the delicate flowers and then put that into chamber??

Ground bud will certainly extract quicker as now there are thousands of tiny exposed bits but for full and complete/natural /true flavor.
    You can easily experiment.

I ended up with Vetus brand med grade tweezer with ceramic tip for non-stick element.
    Different strokes , just another option for vaping-----options are always good

steama likes this.
  4. steama

steama slightly stoopid

It began gumming up immediately. The minute the blade drags through a couple of buds performance begins to decline. Also there is a tendency once things are gummy and that is fast if your buds are sticky, for small buds being pulled under the chamber area and blade. I will put this another way, I could not get rid of it fast enough. I like to clean my grinders very frequently. The Lift grinder was just too much work for me to love.

There is a reason this grinder did not take over the world.

:2c:

test this new information you are given because it's true

Were giving you herb gems here...pick them up

Not a stretch at all. Many of us recently were testing whole buds with the Flower Pot at the thread. The minute you grind your herb the flavor begins to decline. It is absolutely amazing how volatile the flavors are as in they just begin to vanish. The flavor decline begins the minute the bud is ground and continues to decline with a finer grind.

So much is lost with grinding I was shocked to discover how much and how fast.

:peace:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    KidFated. and biohacker like this.
  5. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

How about hemp plastic if you're worried about residue? "good performance" shouldn't matter so much for microdosing with a medium to coarse grind? and hopefully it would result in getting effects more efficiently than not grinding
    I just have a cheap "gstar" 3 piece unknown metal grinder from amazon..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  6. babaganush

That makes sense, I appreciate the recommendation. Flavor aside, I still prefer very fine grinds, because I like to increase the surface area to get the most out of my bowls.

That sucks to hear, but I still might prefer grinding and having to clean it out once in a while vs using scissors or tweezers to grind my herb every time. Then again id save $100 using the tweezer method. Ill try it out for a while and see if I can get used to it.

What do you mean by this? Hemp plastic grinders?

asdf420 likes this.
  7. biohacker

biohacker rosin nation

TBH I mostly just pick apart the buds with my fingers now. But IMO there is a time and a place for all variations of grind consistencies, from the very fine to the ultra coarse, but I will always prefer unground over anything else. Like my diet and lifestyle, I like my herb as unprocessed as possible!

8. babaganush

Definitely a respectable position. If I had the opportunity I wouldnt even vape altogether--edibles all the way when it comes to unprocessed and healthy choices.

Summer likes this.
  9. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

Non-toxic plastic like hemp plastic or PLA without additives... probably a complete joke. :rolleyes: might be ok for coarse..

the Cycle looks nice.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  10. steama

steama slightly stoopid

Nope, any type of plastics are not good. If it is made of plastic throw it in the recyclable bin and get a strudy metal grinder because you car about yourself.

Hjalmark and The Beagle like this.
  11. supremedepoulet

supremedepoulet Member

Currently using the S&B grinder, i would like to find something more durable and less plastic.
    I was looking the NewVape grinder, but for 50$, I dont know it is worth it ?

JCharles likes this.
  12. JCharles

JCharles FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017

Get a Super Wepon II unless you really need a fine grind.

The SWII is the perfect medium coarse grind most vapes do well with.

And the vapes that prefer a fine grind will need less cleaning with something chunkier.

One other note, with a 4 piece for medium coarse, grind right side up and don't shake the grinder. A fine grind can be achieved holding the grinder upside down and giving it a bit of a shake with the included kief coin.

Basically an SWII can do it all - has a lifetime warranty - and @InterplanetaryTanner is a stand up forum member!!

13. supremedepoulet

supremedepoulet Member

Thanks @JCharles for your advice ! I’m looking for a coarse grind for my mighty’s capsules. The SWII look very functional and well made . But i’m looking for a 2 pieces grinder. Do you have an idea for a 2 pieces grinder ?

InterplanetaryTanner likes this.
  14. JCharles

JCharles FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017

It will be difficult to achieve a coarse grind with a two piece - so unfortunately I do not.

Keep in mind the more you handle your herb, the more kief will be lost to sticky surfaces.

A small Delta3dStudios ( @Ratchett ) shovel would make things easier.

Ratchett likes this.
  15. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

NewVape sell a 2pc coarse grinder as well as the fine vape grinder.

I really like the look of the Mendo 2pc double heights. Check them out on mendomulchers.com or 420edc.com

The Beagle likes this.
  16. supremedepoulet

supremedepoulet Member

Thanks @JCharles and @MoltenTiger for your advices. I thinks I’ll stick with the new vape grinder because it’s in stock @VapoShop.eu, with no additional cost for me . I didn't see any reviews yet about NewVape Grinder.
    The SWII looks very promising , maybe i will add it to my list.

17. InterplanetaryTanner

InterplanetaryTanner Interplanetary Development Accessory Maker

18. supremedepoulet

supremedepoulet Member

19. youngfart420

youngfart420 Member

Hello all, I have Small 4pc space case so old, it doesn't say " Made in the USA" on it.. I'm looking into a new grinder, seems like I'm leaning towards a 4pc SCS.. I also want something with bigger diameter than my current space case (2in dia).. While I really don't want to spend the SCS type money, does anyone or has tried SLX 2.0 or Interplanetary Development Super weapon 2? I'm kinda interested in different style teeth, something that "fluffs".. and those 2 mention seems like they have a different pattern that the common "diamond" shape..

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  20. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

The SLX is really good for a fluffy blend.
    The Santa Cruz Shredder is apparently really good for that too, and is a finer grind than the SLX.

The SLX is the king of no cleaning though, and after using a semi-decent unknown anodised grinder yesterday, it's really nice using the SLX again. Everything falls through in a nice fluffy, even consistency in about a quarter of the time compared with plain anodised.

21. Alex3oe

Alex3oe Well-Known Member

I prefer 3pc grinder. There aren`t many out there, so I finally got the Santa Cruz. Did a very good job imho :)

22. Bologna

Bologna je pense donc je vape

I love my LIFT Innovations “grinder”...! I’ve been using it for almost 3 months straight and have not had one issue with it at all. It always works like a charm and yields a very consistent cut.

Edit: and other than wiping down the exterior, I haven’t cleaned anything. The blades are a little gummy but this has not affected it’s performance one bit. High-ly recommended!

23. The Beagle

The Beagle Butanist Bubblemaker

I just got the SWII I ordered from The Hedonist Club during their last promotion and the first impression is pretty good. Very well made, anodizing feels high quality (even if I would prefer to have it available without any) and I really like the threading, way more than the endless ones on my Kannastor. I love the deep grinding chamber of the GR8TR but the teethless area on the SWII is a nice touch to make loading easier. The magnetic screen is an excellent design, time will tell how good it is at collecting kief. I only tried to grind some material that's drier than what I prefer but I liked the consistency, I was looking for something coarser the the Kannastor but not chunky.
    @InterplanetaryTanner well done, really feels like a quality tool.

24. Bologna

Bologna je pense donc je vape

Anyone like pics...?

I’ve never done anything to it except change the sifting disc a couple of times:
    [​IMG]
    The other side of the sifting disc and kief screen look like the top interior... Pretty much like new:
    [​IMG]
    Works like the day I received it. Perfect.

Edited to change “bought” to “received”. Although I was in Winnipeg almost 30 years ago, I had to wait about a week for it to be delivered to MA...

25. Winegums

Winegums I make things from wood Accessory Maker

@babaganush

The wear on your Space Case is normal and typically comes from teeth on teeth contact when you're closing the grinder up. The coating on the blades and edges where the actual cutting occurs looks pristine to me. To avoid more of the coating getting worn off I would just be a bit more careful when closing the grinder.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors