Herb Grinders

CbdLife

@Hjalmark @pxl_jockey
Thanks for the feedback on the Gr8tr, was considering that one too, I will scratch that off list.
I will perhaps give new vape a pm on here to see if he has a link to some pics or videos of the grind on the Coarse. Only videos I have found so far seems to have a uneven grind, although on Vape Critics review of the MV1 he used the New Vape Course and the grind looked perfect, I keep holding off cause of the other 2 videos..
I just cant find any pics or videos of the Lift course disc grind.

CbdLife

Have you seen this one? I have the Lift and I love it, but I've never used the course plate.

Thanks for posting this vid..I think he used the med disc, I think the coarse was still in the package..Although I skimmed through vid..I coulda missed it if he did use coarse...Found a video on you tube of someone that used the coarse disc but could not see the grounds very well.

Last edited:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Wow, watched a bunch of that video & really wish I had known of the Lift when I was looking. Very cool. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my Gr8tr Jar; it's doing a great job for my vapes which all prefer a coarser grind. It just seemed to me @CbdLife was looking for next-level coarse and I can't say that the GR8TR is that. But none of this matters now because thanks to @unsorted I won't quit thinking about the Lift. Which I can't get until I acquire other devices I've been obsessing over longer. Great, just dandy!

The following rant is focused on the name and not performance of the grinder.
The name Gr8tr is stupid. I hate the name. Like someone was trying too hard to "engage" and "synergize" with the texting generation. Whatever, I'm no longer in the coveted demographic, boo-hoo. LIGAF. My beef is that Kannastor obviously had many marketing meetings to have arrived at such a convoluted name and nobody said, "Wait, if we're using 8 do we really need "T"? Wouldn't it just be GR8R?" No-one thought to run it by the college kid in CS? This is what happens when 40-yr olds try to talk like 20-somethings. Am I missing something here? Some greater logic? FUCK! What a bunch of ASS-HATS!

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
The following rant is focused on the name and not performance of the grinder.The name Gr8tr is stupid. I hate the name. Like someone was trying too hard to "engage" and "synergize" with the texting generation. Whatever, I'm no longer in the coveted demographic, boo-hoo. LIGAF. My beef is that Kannastor obviously had many marketing meetings to have arrived at such a convoluted name and nobody said, "Wait, if we're using 8 do we really need "T"? Wouldn't it just be GR8R?" No-one thought to run it by the college kid in CS? This is what happens when 40-yr olds try to talk like 20-somethings. Am I missing something here? Some greater logic? FUCK! What a bunch of ASS-HATS!

Agree.

There are other things I dislike about it too, but it really provides a nice, even, fine grind.

I wouldn't buy any model other than the "vape" one. The others are (even more) overpriced and have even more useless features. I saw the vape gr8tr for $6o (or $50 I don't remember) on amazon and bit the bullet. Happy so far!

...Shitty name for sure though.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@muunch Yessir, I agree with your model assessment. And I have that bigger model(!), although I don't have the jar one, it's the solid. I didn't want the acrylic jar, seems like the part that will crack/fail. They made it so you would know contents without opening, but my grindage is moved immediately. I got mine from Kannastor's site, Father's Day (retail $65, mine $50). Wound up removing the kief screen, so now I have a massive storage space which is half of its height. Worthless. Or how did you put it? "useless". Exactly!

Because I don't store my herb pre-ground in my grinder; my herb stays in a CVault and is ground daily, like Mother Nature intended! (Don'tcha love grumpy old men who behave like/believe that their way is THE way, empirically proven and everyone else just needs to wise up?) So kiddies, I'm the jack-ass reminding you to really assess your needs/desires when buying your next grinder. I would have been fine with a 2-piece but I had never had a 4-piece and I just had to have it. But one really good thing about the bigger one is it came with both the fine & coarse disc. Coarse is what I use but I'm glad to know the fine one is nice as well. Like munch said I'm happy enough with it. I don't consider it among my "bad" purchases. I'm too wordy...

Friend Man

The following rant is focused on the name and not performance of the grinder.
The name Gr8tr is stupid. I hate the name. Like someone was trying too hard to "engage" and "synergize" with the texting generation. Whatever, I'm no longer in the coveted demographic, boo-hoo. LIGAF. My beef is that Kannastor obviously had many marketing meetings to have arrived at such a convoluted name and nobody said, "Wait, if we're using 8 do we really need "T"? Wouldn't it just be GR8R?" No-one thought to run it by the college kid in CS? This is what happens when 40-yr olds try to talk like 20-somethings. Am I missing something here? Some greater logic? FUCK! What a bunch of ASS-HATS!

Did you know SLX is pronounced 'Slicks'? :ugh:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@Friend Man No, I didn't. I wish I still did not. :doh:
That is just terrible. What is wrong with these folks?
What's worse here is it's also the company name.
Kannastor can walk away/pretend it never happened.

All this time I was pronouncing it "S-L-X"... ignorance IS bliss!
Now that I know the truth, do I have to say "slicks"?
One less grinder to consider buying, I suppose... :D

biohacker

@pxl_jockey I feel you bro. I think the Kannastor is incredible, I had the solid body like you, but I wanted a 3 piece, so felt the same with such a waste and 1/2 the height. I wanted the vape edition, but with the coarse plate and the bigger thicker top piece (for ergonomics/leverage). There is a way to do it with buying the storage puck I think...all discussed way back in here and it was all explained how it was possible, and yet still have best of both worlds with the choice of coarse or fine plate. I practically never used the fine plate due to clogging and maintenance but it sure did provide an amazing fine grind. I felt that the coarse plate was just about perfect, although I was still happy to have a grinder that provides an even coarser shred.

Shame that the Lift Innovations Clipper was a dud....I was so stoked for 3 different grind consistencies and finally a grinder to end GrAS but that was not the case.

Shit, come christmas and boxing day it's gonna be nuts! Love buying everything I desire when it's on sale and then sell off what doesn't work for me.

Continuing to rock my Zeus Vortex crank coarse shred in my supreme v3.... still my favourite all time grinder, and longest owned. Just so easy to use and requires zero maintenance, not even a brushing!

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
Anyone have a picture of the small slx 4 piece in hand? Tried using the search function but the word SLX is too small to search.

I'm trying to figure out just how small it really is... Thanks in advance.

WoodVillain,

biohacker

@biohacker Have you met Volcano Grinder? I know you have one or five, but I just don't know if you've used it/them.

Ya dude i've had over a dozen of those....amazing for what they are and value indeed, but the points of the tips would break off and it was a bitch to keep clean, since ISO melts them :rofl:I'm also not a fan of 2 piece grinders for a number of reasons. If you want a kick ass 2 piece it sounds like the newvape fine or coarse 2 piece is the way to go for quality and grind. I'm a 3 piece grinder fan.

MoltenTiger

I refer to mine as S-L-X, "slicks" is not a nice sounding word for my fucked accent, and I don't think it's strictly how to pronounce the brand, it just rhymes with their slogan

"never sticks"

Which as has been pointed out before, isn't strictly true anyway.
I still haven't cleaned mine though, it's basically no maintenance. Been over 18 months on the daily grind. Things can stick to it, but it's easy to remove.

I'm trying to figure out just how small it really is
Most have found it to be too small.
The bigger version is far from huge.

I like how short these grinders are, both sizes are the same height.

@CarolKing posted some pics of the 2"
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herb-grinders.15/page-283#post-999339

Not a lot of size reference to go off, but it looks tiny compared to the 2.4" infront of me, which has two rows of smaller circle holes for the herb to pass through.

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
I refer to mine as S-L-X, "slicks" is not a nice sounding word for my fucked accent, and I don't think it's strictly how to pronounce the brand, it just rhymes with their slogan

"never sticks"

Which as has been pointed out before, isn't strictly true anyway.
I still haven't cleaned mine though, it's basically no maintenance. Been over 18 months on the daily grind. Things can stick to it, but it's easy to remove.

Most have found it to be too small.
The bigger version is far from huge.

I like how short these grinders are, both sizes are the same height.

@CarolKing posted some pics of the 2"
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herb-grinders.15/page-283#post-999339

Not a lot of size reference to go off, but it looks tiny compared to the 2.4" infront of me, which has two rows of smaller circle holes for the herb to pass through.

Damn... It does look small.

Too late for me... I ordered and received the tracking email already. I should of asked and then ordered...

The only reason i picked the small was because the only large one at PIU was the gold color and i wanted charcoal, black or silver... Maybe i should of just took the gold lol

MoltenTiger

Damn... It does look small.

Too late for me... I ordered and received the tracking email already. I should of asked and then ordered...

The only reason i picked the small was because the only large one at PIU was the gold color and i wanted charcoal, black or silver... Maybe i should of just took the gold lol
Hopefully you find it to be a good size.
It'll definitely be a nice grinder.

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
Hopefully you find it to be a good size.
It'll definitely be a nice grinder.

Thanks bud.

I ordered around 1030am today, got the tracking email about noon and contacted PIU at 1pm asking to change the order... They have great customer service!

It's possible the package is still there, the tracking email is generated as soon as they process the order for shipping... And the tracking number has yet to update as accepted... So if it hasn't left yet they are going to swap them out for me...

If it's already headed this way I'll check the size when it gets here. If it's too small i guess i could just send it back, still unused, for an exchange.

Time will tell :D

biohacker

There is a lot of grinder talk in the Mighty thread recently, so figured this would help more here:

I got the SLX when it just came out and was only available at this one shop in Amsterdam for eur 100, but I had read so much about it, and was so exited about it, I just got it.

10 months later, I think there's a lot of hype to it. Some of the ceramic coating has come off the edges of the teeth, it DOES get dirty (F that "never clean again" BS) tho maybe less than your traditional grinder. Personally I would like the end product to be more finely grinded, but that's personal. The finish on the grinder itself is not worth it's money, at least not what I paid.

Before that, I had for close to 10 years a wooden grinder I once bought in Germany, with spikes coming out. Did the work and did get dirty, but cleaning it was part of the fun when I was dry.

I stay away from plastic grinders, coz they chip. I still have to meet a plastic grinder that can handle a nice nug of GSCs. I thinking it's a shame that the S&B products come with such a cheap looking grinder.

Friend Man

There is a lot of grinder talk in the Mighty thread recently, so figured this would help more here:

Updated SLX thoughts:

First up, it's definitely worth noting that the guy above is talking about the SLX 1.0, they've been on the 2.0 for a while now.

The maintenance for the SLX is nowhere near other grinders, but it is still more than I expected. After a couple of months use I've had to break out the cotton buds and iso, to rub off some gunk that gathered on the sides (this is not bad, as the gunking process normally happens after 1-2 uses with other grinders I've used). I still brush (when I remember) after every 3 or 4 'grinderfulls' to keep it running smoothly. Crystals just fly off it when you have a stiff brush. I'm still not pleased that the turn isn't very smooth, it scrapes a bit which will surely affect the coating over time.

Important: It only recently started getting noticeably gunked up, but when it does it is VERY hard to start the turn, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with grip or wrist issues at all due to this. Just my experience though.

I'm happy with it, it's a decent consistent 'mid' grind, cleaning is (relatively) easy and it still seems robust. But 100 euros is insane, mine cost £40 in the end. Next time I'm going to go for a grinder with a pointedly smooth turn, I hear good things about the NV in this regard.

MoltenTiger

Sorry mate:

I continue to call it es-el-ex though, because 'slicks' is stupid
Pretty sure he was saying it like that just for the end slogan, it says right on the lid "es-el-ex".

Tomato tomato right?
Potatoes gonna potate.
I guess it doesn't stand for anything so it's not an acronym or abbreviation.
Perhaps it's strictly "slicks" but I won't call it that either.

Also for what it's worth, I still wash up my ceramic frying pans. If I fry up some bacon, it doesn't stick to it but it still leaves a residue.
If all I ever did was fry bacon, I'd probably still wash up to get rid of the fats and seasoning on the pan.
With my ceramic grinder, I'm only ever using it with cannabis. I have never cleaned it with cotton buds or alcohol, as I'd just be reseasoning it straight after with herb anyway.

It's not spotless but it looks the same as the last time I posted it, from months ago, and it'll look the same in a year's time after many more ounces of the good stuff.

It works the same as ever, probably a bit smoother when it was brand new, but still slick enough.

I've been using a FiiO mini amp silicone band on my lid for extra grip which has been decent

Friend Man

Also for what it's worth, I still wash up my ceramic frying pans. If I fry up some bacon, it doesn't stick to it but it still leaves a residue.
If all I ever did was fry bacon, I'd probably still wash up to get rid of the fats and seasoning on the pan.
With my ceramic grinder, I'm only ever using it with cannabis. I have never cleaned it with cotton buds or alcohol, as I'd just be reseasoning it straight after with herb anyway.

Yeah, I only cleaned it because it wasn't turning...I'm actually a fan of the gunk, I used to get it out with a razor blade/scissors on my old grinders but I think that would scrape the lining off the SLX

Top Bottom